Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Merge: Young Hero Initiative (recruitment closed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e OOC] The Merge: Young Hero Initiative (recruitment closed)

After some rumination and some rewatching of Young Justice and The Incredibles, I finally figured out what I want the next Merge game to be.

Basic idea: Either X-Ds or, more prominently, natives, who have come into power at a young age (teenagers, to be exact) are offered a spot at a school/training facility independent of any nation, to hone their powers and learn how to be a hero. It's the classic Hero High/Teen Titans/ Young Justice setup. as for the style, I would say " Muted four colours". Which basically means that heroic ideals are lived and encouraged but the dangers of the Merged World are not swept under the rug.

PL is either 7 with 135 or PL 8 with 120 PP.
    Skills are 3 per Skill point.
    For every point of Presence, you get an advantage related to social skills for free (Attractive, Connected, Inspire, etc.)
    Last edited by Neo-Paladin; 18th September 2018, 10:07 AM.

Re: Interest Check: The Merge: Young Hero Initiative

I would so be on board with this at PL8!

EDIT: I'd love to try and run a variation of my character Yui but in keeping with the Merge-verse being a crossover having her powers coming from the parasite Samson. Would that work?
    Last edited by Dodgson; 2nd September 2018, 07:53 AM.
    [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7212-Dodgson-s-Builds"]My Builds[/URL]
    [B]Playing[/B]
    [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7430-3E-Crinoverse-Tales-to-Astonish-(Recruitment-Closed)?p=260270&viewfull=1#post260270"]Nora[/URL]
    [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7810-The-Merge-Young-Hero-Initiative-(recruitment-closed)?p=268145&viewfull=1#post268145"]Diana Gladwin AKA Godiva (and Samson)[/URL]

Comment

Definitely, very interested. I will sort through my pile of PL 8-ish teen heroes to see which concepts might work best in the Merge-verse.

I was actually thinking of running something like this, if I ever had the time/ schedule stability.

The kids of Claremont meet Xavier's best (and their evil/ shadow counterparts). Heh...

>Possibilities: One of the Runaways (Comics version of Molly?), Wednesday Addams, Crossworld versions of Roberta McGee or Carrie White, a young Molly Carpenter?
      Last edited by pathfinderq1; 2nd September 2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Im interested in taking part, however I have no knowledge in the Merge Verse, any potential source I can use to help catch up?
        Current Games

Jason Anderson (Telekinetic Storm): Infinite New Vindicators
        Alexandria Downes (Seraph): Operation Phoenix

Comment

I'm curious what you think about this character. Not submitting it (yet) but Paul did not like it for his hero high setting and I'm curious what you think. (I'm not sure the background works for merge so that might change as well.)

Also, are there any chargen rules we need beside 8/120? Most of the merge settings have other house rules (3/pp skills is common, free adv per rank of pre is common). But nothing is universal to the setting.

Comment

The character would be okay. As for setting rules...I woukld go with 3 pp per skill points and the advantage rule for Presence points (each point of Presence nets you a Charisma-based advantage).

The setting document can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/07stmsleit...ument.pdf?dl=0

Comment

I'm not one for teen games usually, but the setting is intriguing. Off the top of my head, I am thinking a character like X23 except male and before his first kill. Maybe the merge kicked in while he was on his first mission or something of that sort.
              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

I, on the other hand, love the idea of young heroes growing into mature, experienced heroes. I do have a question, in regards to the Merge, can we create original characters born and raised in the universe into which the multiverse got folded into.

Like a normal kid, maybe finds a Lantern Ring, a Guyver unit something like that and is trying to learn to control it?

Comment

Of course. Original characters are welcome, as the Initiative is based on the idea of giving native (people who inhabited our universe pre-Merge, as opposed to X-D, the catch-all-term for people and things that crossed over) youths who gain powers a support network that others (like the Teen Titans etc.) already have.

As for Dodgson's idea...tell me more about that parasite...

Comment

Is there a specific way original characters from the native world would get powers or is it fairly open?
                    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Neo-Paladin View Post
                      As for Dodgson's idea...tell me more about that parasite...
                      No problem!

First off parasite is probably a bit of a misnomer, symbiote would be more accurate, it's kind of implied that he has a negative effect on the hosts memory but it's never really turned in to anything concrete. Visually he's a mass of black tentacle surrounding a pair of yellow eyes and a maw of pointy teeth that replaces the hosts hair.

He's fully capable of speech (with the voice of Patrick Seitz no less!) with the personality of someone's uncle. He's rowdy, brash and loves food, drinking, woman and gambling but does genuinely care for the wellbeing of his host. I'd mostly play the whole thing for laughs in contrast to the more 'refined' personality of the host.

Hope that helps
                      [B]Playing[/B]
                      [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7430-3E-Crinoverse-Tales-to-Astonish-(Recruitment-Closed)?p=260270&viewfull=1#post260270"]Nora[/URL]
                      [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7810-The-Merge-Young-Hero-Initiative-(recruitment-closed)?p=268145&viewfull=1#post268145"]Diana Gladwin AKA Godiva (and Samson)[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by mrdent12 View Post
                        Is there a specific way original characters from the native world would get powers or is it fairly open?
                        The Merge changed the way the laws of nature work. The pre-Merge world was ours, for all intents and purposes. Radiation did not give you superpowers, it gave you cancer if it didn't kill you outright, for example.

These days, hazards like this will still kill you in almost all cases...except that, now, you also stand a small chance of getting powers instead. Also, natives have been known to spontaneously "break out" with superpowers in moments of extreme stress...

Comment

Re: The Merge: Young Hero Initiative (recruitments ends September 16th)

Diana Gladwin

PL8 (120)

STR:0
                          STA:0
                          AGL:0
                          FGT:0
                          DEX:0
                          INT:0
                          AWE:0
                          PRE:2

Skills:
                          Deception 8 (+10/15)
                          Expertise (All) 0 (+10/+15)
                          Insight 10 (+10)
                          Intimidation 8 (+10)
                          Perception 8 (+8)
                          Persuasion 8 (+10/+15)

Advantages:
                          Attractive 2* Eidetic Memory, Luck 3
                          *Free from Presence

Powers:

Diana

-Ice Queen [3]
                          Immunity 5 (Interaction Effects)(Limited to Half Effect)

-Prodigy [9]
                          Comprehend 2 (Languages)(Quirk:Takes a Scene to pick up a new language)* [3]
                          Enhanced Intelligence 10 (Limited 2:Expertise Only) [5]
                          Quickness 2 (Limited to Mental Actions) [1]

*English, Japanese

Samson

-Protect the Host [25]
                          Enhanced Active Defenses 8 (Permanent) [16]
                          Protection 8 [8]
                          Senses 1 (Danger Sense) [1]

-Savage Monster [5]
                          Enhanced Advantage 5 (All-Out Attack, Holding Back, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack)

-Parasite's Tentacles: Dynamic Array [12+5]
                          "Endless Limbs" Enhanced Extra Limbs 5, Elongation 7 (Quirk:Extra Limbs Only), Quickness 2 (Limited to Physical Actions)[12]
                          [DAE]"Tentacle Strength" Enhanced Strength 12 (Limited to Non-Damaging, Quirk:Extra Limbs Only) [12]
                          [DAE]"Tentacle Scramble" Movement 2 (Wall Crawling 2), Speed 8 [12]

-Hair Monster:Array [20+3]
                          "Om nom nom" Damage 8 (Progressive[Only if Grab is Maintained])(Grab-Based) Linked to Weaken Toughness 8 (Resisted by Toughness)(Progressive[Only if Grab is Maintained])(Grab-Based);Accurate 4 [20]
                          [AE]"Follicle Whip" Damage 8 Linked to Move Object 8 (Reduced Range);Accurate 4 [20]
                          [AE]"Crushing Slam" Damage 8 Linked to Affliction 8 (Impaired&Dazed/Disabled&Stunned, Fort)(Extra Condition)(Limited Degree);Accurate 4 [20]
                          [AE]"Tentacle Flurry" Damage 8 (Multiattack);Accurate 4 [20]

Offense:
                          Initiative +0
                          "Om nom nom" +8 (DC23/18 Toughness)
                          "Folicle Whip" +8 (DC23 Toughness & DC18 Strength/Dodge)
                          "Crushing Slam" +8 (DC23 Toughness & DC18 Fortitude)
                          "Tentacle Flurry" +8 (DC23+Multiattack Toughness)

Defenses:

Dodge:8
                          Parry:8
                          Toughness:8
                          Fortitude:8 [8]
                          Will:8 [8]

Total: Abilities:4/Skills:14/Advantages:5/Powers:81/Defenses:16

Complications

Noblesse Oblige [Responsibility]
                          Regardless of her current circumstances Diana realises that she has been blessed with looks, talent, money and status and it falls to her to use those to help the less fortunate. As far as she's concerned Samson is just another one of those gifts.

"Don't call me Princess!" [Relationship]
                          Having another living being on the back of your head is...challenging. For her part Diana thinks he's a crass loudmouth (who can be sweet when he really wants to) and he thinks she's uptight and stuck up (but respects her for following her ideals), they try to get along. Try.

What the Hell is That?! [Prejudice]
                          Whilst a large enough hat can conceal his presence (for as long as he decides to play along) it's otherwise pretty hard to conceal the fact that Diana has a mess of teeth and tentacles on the back of her head. Some people might react poorly to that.

High Tastes & Low Means [Quirk]
                          Diana is used to a living in the lap of luxury and is still acclimatising to being cut off by her parents.

"You gonna eat that?" [Quirk]
                          Food, drink, there's no way around it, Samson's a glutton and as a parasite everything he eats affects his host. At the very least Diana has had to take on a vigorous exercise regime to avoid putting on weight and the less said about the time he got hold of liquor the better...

Background

Born to a pair of wealthy London business people Diana Gladwin never found herself wanting for anything, she grew up to be strikingly beautiful and at her private school she put the rest of her class to shame academically. Really the only thing left to do when the time came was to take the reigns of her parents' business and she knew that she'd excel at that too of course, in short, life was perfect.

Until the Merge happened, until she woke up one morning and her hair started to talk to her. She panicked, the house staff panicked, her parents panicked and once the thing that introduced itself as Samson told them that the only way to separate the pair of them was to kill the host, her parents made up their mind. They couldn't imagine what having a freak for a daughter could do to their social standing, or worse, their share prices! So they did what they always did, threw money at the problem and bundled Diana away to some hideous city at the other end of the country where they wouldn't have to think about her anymore.

In a single day she went from having the world at her feet to being a penniless outcast but Diana was quick (okay not that quick) to pull herself together, people like her didn't break down, people like her fixed things. It was true that she'd lost almost everything, the money, the luxury, the prestige of her family name, in fact the only thing she could really count as a resource anymore was the thing affixed to the back of her head and that was the day Diana decided that she would become a super hero. Over the next three years Diana took the name Godiva and slowly began to piece her life back together whilst acting on and off as a vigilante with mixed success (whilst a young girl didn't cut much in the way of a terrifying figure, thanks to Samson she did develop something of a reputation). It was the latter that drew the attention of Young Hero Initiative and Diana was more than happy to accept, seeing a chance to build connections in the world of super heroes and of course another venue for her to excel.

Notes
                          I had some time over lunch so here's my first stab at a submission, it started as a copy/paste job then got way away from me. Things you like? Things you don't like? Things that need to be flung in to a fire on the moon? I'm all ears!
                          Last edited by Dodgson; 22nd September 2018, 03:35 AM.
                          [B]Playing[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Neo-Paladin View Post
                            For every point of Presence, you get an advantage related to social skills for free (Attractive, Connected, Inspire, etc.)
                            This is where it starts to break down for me. Is this supposedly a school or training program for rich kids?

Comment

You don't need money to have any of those things. There is plenty of poor people who are connected or attractive. For attractive, there is even the classical poor rebel or dreamer who woos a rich woman such as in Dirty Dancing or even Foot Loose. As for connected if not rich, maybe the PC is connected to street people or friends in high places whose parents go lucky.

Comment

Working...
                              X