Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: Meetup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: Meetup

    The last mission was a bit rough. Not in the usual sense of the word as in bruises and such, but in excrement. It turns out that saving a cargo ship converted to a migration ship full of corpse eating slugs leaves more than a little leftovers after they feasted on the drones harassing them. So, the day of cleaning was more of a relief than a chore.

    As a payment of sorts, the crew had been given enough rations and refreshments to make even the most greedy pirate say enough. For a few hours at least, the crew had a chance to unwind in a smell free environment. While recreating in whatever fashion they chose, the beacon indicating a message from the Independent Alliance sprung to life. In addition to a messaging device, it allowed the crew to prove they were loosely aligned with the Independent Alliance in the case of attack by someone else in the alliance.

    Once the crew had assembled on the bridge, the holographic projection of a simple cargo ship appeared before them.



    We need your help urgently. A ship with possibly unimaginable power, enough to break Ohmís defenses has reappeared after more than several thousand years in the Warpwold. Our records indicate Omega sent it in with a thousand drones to retrieve an artifact of power beyond imagination even for Omega. He never heard from the ship again. We are sending you the coordinates with this message. Others have most likely spotted it as well , but you are the only ones can count on who can get there in time. Our extra long range scans do not reveal any life signs and it is not returning any messages. It is static. All we need it to make sure that weapon does not end up in the hands of our enemies and if possible to assess what it is. We are counting on you.

    When the message finishes, the holographic image changes to a map of the Terminus and a dot in an area long since thought abandoned due to the rigours of getting there through the entropy storms. No conventional drive ship even bothers trying to go there anymore due to most pilots not being able to get through.



    OOC
    In terms of getting there, you can
    1) Use the blink drive, but will be powerless for effectively two rounds upon arrival.
    2) Try to fly through the Entrophy storms, requiring three successful DC 30 vehicle checks. Each failure results in the Jolly Roger taking DC 35 damage with even a successful damage save resulting in a -1 toughness.
    3) Something I didn't think of.
    Last edited by mrdent12; 10-29-2018, 09:00 PM.
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

  • #2
    Re: [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab

    Treylin
    HP: 1; Condition: Fine

    Treylin arrives on the bridge putting his armor on.

    "I don't favor our chances of going through the entropy storms. No one here is good enough pilot."

    He pauses. Commander did like to be the planner.
    [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab

      The Commander
      HP: 1 | LP:1
      Status: Normal




      Ju to's quarters were never far from the bridge, on any vessel he commanded. In the case of an emergency he always wanted to be there at a moment's notice. When the call came in this time, he had been lounging on his black leather sofa flipping through an Earth novel picked up at the last port. Penned by a name he didn't recognize, he neverless felt some sympathy for this 'Spock' character.

      Now he stood at attention, ever respectful with that list lf people who had their number on file. The reading glazes he bad recently started to use were safely tucked away in one of his suit's pockets, and the man felt no shame in needing them. The effects of aging were his battle scars, both from living his life and that hardened battle with Ka so long ago.

      'So,' Mission in mind, be focused. 'An artifact that even the lord of chaos himself desired. I can count my blessings that whatever it is he never had the chance to grab it for himself. No mention of a price... It seems I'll need to keep careful track of our expenses this time.'

      There were a few ways to go about this. One was to fly blind, pop in without warning and hope for the best. Without knowing what was on the other side, this could easily result in an almost instantaneous death. On the other, it woukd avoid the entropy storms that would threaten to tear their ship apart. In his youth, that would have been his go to option in an instance. Yet his reflexes he needs to admit, have long eroded.

      A glance towards the men and woman beside him was all they'd need to register his urging, for them to give their own thoughts on the matter. Juto always preferred to wait and co sider so paths before making the final call.
      Last edited by Doctor Malsyn; 07-20-2018, 10:15 AM.
      I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab

        As the crew absorbs the information, the sheer fact there is a portion of the Terminus not in the Warpwold that is not ravaged by war stands out. As sensor data starts coming in through the message pipe, the crew is made privy to all their employers know.



        OOC
        Expertise(Terminus) will help fill in gaps on the region of space
        Expertise(relevant science here) will help make sense of the sensor data
        I am also open to other skills or checks if you can make the case for them.
        [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab

          Treylin

          OOC
          Expertise (Terminus): 1D20+9 = [19]+9 = 28
          Well... that's actually ominous for a first roll. Or the DC is really low.
          [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab

            QUARKS
            HP: 1 , Status: Normal, Location: Aboard the Jolly Roger, on the bridge

            I had been perusing some old vids that a crewmate had provided. They were entertainment more than anything informative, but they had been offered to help me "develop my sense of humor." Since my failed prank, I have been eager to learn more about life forms and their propensity to find pleasure in the absurd.

            The call to the bridge interrupted my study, and I quickly meandered through the ship's hallways, nearly "bumping" into Treylin. Unlike with each other, there would have been no harm to a crewmate from such an interaction with my cloud form; but my crewmates had still expressed discomfort with such, so I tried to provide them as much personal space as they did each other.

            The message that had assembled us was brief, but descriptive enough. We were asked to retrieve a powerful artifact, and doubtless we would attempt to do so--we were known for our acts of daring to achieve important goals.

            It was the star map that followed that indicated the difficulty of our task; the target coordinate was one surrounded by entropy storms. This meant there were notable risks involved with any of the reasonable methods of getting to the ship in a timely fashion.

            However, the data was clear. The Commander was our best pilot, but even aided by Treylin, our second best, their chances of successfully navigating the storms was slim. The known risks of using the blink drive were far less, even if there were greater potential for harm for a brief span after tessering.

            Originally posted by kenseido View Post
            "I don't favor our chances of going through the entropy storms. No one here is good enough pilot."
            More data, confirming my analysis. The certainty was high enough. A slightly livened emotional tone would convey my conclusion without risking offense.

            "Seems best to be using the blink drive, Commander. I'd take a dozen seconds of powerlessness in this situation over having any of us navigate that. No offense, sir."

            Nearly immediately, more data came in through the message pipe. A portion of my pattern-recognition algorithms still wanted to note the timing as significant, tying it to my utterance and then subsequently fashioning some hypothesis to explain the connection. I'd managed to suppress the tendency over the years though; ignoring the coincidence, I stretched a portion of my form just far enough to easily view the data and parse it.

            OOC: Quarks will take a crack at the sensor data.

            Expertise (Physics) Check: 1d20 + 15 = [5] + 15 = 20
            My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
            Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab

              Expertise(Terminus)

              When the coordinates and map come up, it brings to mind a few stories heard around the Terminus. The area is surrounded by the Entropy Storms and Warpwold, so many thought it be a keen idea to use it like other dead space areas for smuggling. After losing a few ships or the crew going mad trying to get to the area, everyone decided against using the space. After Omega fell, a few space ports were abuzz about building a grand force in the area, but those too came to naught after the Warpwold drove the builders made since they couldn't go through the Entropy storms. Even exotic propulsion methods had issues due to the storms penetrating dimensional barriers on occasion.

              Sensors

              The sensor data largely collaborates the message, but it left out that the missing life sign signal was not 100% confident. Due to all the distortions, they were only 80% confident at best. Another thing noticeable is that while right now the storms aren't too bad, if they get too bad using the Blink Drive there would be suicide because of the storms making the dimensional tunnel it creates a death trap. Overall, the data points to finishing soon or waiting for the next window whenever it happens and hoping no one else got to the ship first.
              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab

                QUARKS
                HP: 1 , Status: Normal, Location: Aboard the Jolly Roger, on the bridge

                "There's more coming in, sir. First, the lack of life signs wasn't 100%--it was closer to 80. Second, it seems like the entropy storms might start really acting up; if they do, and we ain't finished, we'll be good and stuck for a while."

                The latter part of that was out of concern for my crewmates, of course. Biological organisms seemed to loathe inactivity; I sometimes wondered if they were actually capable of dying of boredom, considering some of their complaints. Immediately some of my subroutines brought up another relevant factoid--supplies. Whereas I was able to subsist inertly for an indefinite period of time, the others required food, water, and various conveniences; they couldn't even hibernate, like some organisms. So then being trapped for too long was also a risk to their welfare. Curious. Perhaps it explained the aversion to inactivity; the fact that boredom was nigh unbearable could just be a survival mechanism?

                I saved the thought to my "idle musings" file for later perusal.
                My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
                Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab

                  Treylin

                  "And the storms could affect the blink drive. So we could get stuck their without a way out."

                  If it wasn't one thing, its was another. Treylin had thought the Terminus would be a safe hiding place and a slight distraction from his problems. It proved neither.

                  Times like this did at least make his other problems seem absolutely inconsequential.

                  "As for powerless, a few of us can try to act as defense of the ship after a blink. And the shuttles."
                  [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab

                    Kaora Steelgrave
                    Condition: Contemplative
                    HP: 1

                    Kaora had been spending her downtime meditating, trying to clear her mind after the...challenging last mission, which is now easily in her top five worst missions. She joined the rest of the group as soon as the message had come in, though she's remained silent; She is not a pilot and had little in the way of alternate suggestions for how to reach their new destination. Finally, however, she speaks up.

                    "It seems to me that our best option is still to use the blink drive," she adds, speaking in a whispery and cold tone, "I mean no disrespect to anyone's skills of course; I wouldn't trust the best pilot in the whole Terminus to try and get us through those storms. Plus, if anyone else attempts to reach this ship, surely they would be using systems similar to this ship's blink drive? Meaning they would also be powerless immediately after the jump? Or am I mistaken?"

                    She puts a hand on her chin. "Still, getting trapped there would be problematic no matter what. If we do get stuck there in a storm and there are hostiles, how feasible would it be to use this cargo ship as a temporary shelter while we wait for the storm to subside?"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab

                      Treylin

                      "There could be people who detected it before we were contacted, and they would already be there. There may also be a threat on the ship itself, even if its not populated with living people. Automated defenses are a real possibility."

                      He pauses.

                      "But I agree that the blink drive is our best option."
                      [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab

                        From her experience as a gun for hire, in a manner of speaking, Kaora recalls stories of some ace pilots who could navigate through anything. A few species even were highly sough after in the criminal market for their skills as pilots. In addition, she's seen a couple exotic propulsion system in her day, but as best she knows the blink drive is fairly unique.



                        OOC

                        If you want to know more, I will need an expertise(criminals) roll.
                        [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab

                          The Commander
                          HP: 1 | LP:1
                          Status: Normal




                          He cuffed his chin, looking over the data another time as the information started to roll in. In all likelihood so far, it did seem like their best chance of navigating toward the objected would be to employ the Blink Drive. yet that didn't mean they didn't have to be cautious. A few of their number could possibly withstand the Terminus for a short time, such as Quarks. They also had three shuttles available to them, one of them his own. Perhaps if people waited inside the hangar to disembark and buy the ship enough time to recover power... The basis of an idea was already starting to take shape.

                          Giving them another look, the invitation was there to supply any more of their thoughts on the matter at hand.
                          I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab

                            Kaora Steelgrave
                            Condition: Contemplative
                            HP: 1

                            Originally posted by kenseido View Post
                            "There could be people who detected it before we were contacted, and they would already be there. There may also be a threat on the ship itself, even if its not populated with living people. Automated defenses are a real possibility."

                            He pauses.

                            "But I agree that the blink drive is our best option."
                            Kaora nods. "Fair enough, though I'd rather take my chances with other ships than any kind of entropy storm. You're also correct about automated defences, though keep in mind that the ship has been missing for several thousand years. If there's no life aboard, I find it difficult to imagine that many of them would be in working order."

                            She pauses as a thought strikes her. "Though the ship might have some form of automatic maintenance system, and if the readings are incorrect, who even knows what's currently on that ship?"

                            Originally posted by mrdent12 View Post
                            From her experience as a gun for hire, in a manner of speaking, Kaora recalls stories of some ace pilots who could navigate through anything. A few species even were highly sough after in the criminal market for their skills as pilots. In addition, she's seen a couple exotic propulsion system in her day, but as best she knows the blink drive is fairly unique.



                            OOC

                            If you want to know more, I will need an expertise(criminals) roll.
                            OOC: Expertise Roll: 1D20 + 5 = [5]+5 = 10 So that's probably nothing.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: [3e IC] Pirates of the Terminus: A Simple Grab

                              Kaora can come up with vague recollection of either defectors or fighters who lost their faction leader that had superior reflexes almost as if they could tell the future. These rogues and other of their ilk could most likely navigate the storms albeit getting bruised up a little.
                              Last edited by mrdent12; 07-23-2018, 10:06 PM.
                              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X