Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ghost Town: Familiar Haunts (IC)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [3e IC] Ghost Town: Familiar Haunts (IC)

    The break-in, according the document the mayor gave you, happened at three in the morning on Monday. An unknown thief (or thieves) entered the Native American Cultural Center, stole a priceless Native American artifact, and vanished without a trace of evidence. The police were called within the hour, and arrived almost immediately. It's now seven at night, the police having taken half a day to come up empty-handed and the mayor having taken hours to ask your team, the Emerald Tower, for help.

    The cultural center is already surrounded by makeshift stages, tents, and stalls, the blaring electric guitars and deep bass of three different bands resounding across the open field reserved for the Sound and Fury music festival. Underscoring the music is the constant buzz of the crowds, the tantalizing scents of the food vendors, and the raw heat of hundreds of bodies in one spot. The path to the cultural center itself is almost disconcertingly empty, the festival-goers far more interested in the flashy bands than the museum's stuffy exhibits.

    The cultural center staff were quick to usher you in, an aging security guard grumbling about the new hire leaving all the work to him and giving you the stink-eye as he led you away from the reception desk. You are treated to a view of several exhibits on Native American history and culture during the long walk while a museum security guard leads you from the front of the museum to the back of the second story, pausing in front of a door labeled J. Salinas. "Professor Salinas, your visitors for your seven-o-clock appointment with the, uh, circus have arrived." the guard announces as he shoves opens the heavy oaken door to the old man's office. The door opens with a loud creak and a rush of air thick with the smell of old books as the middle age man behind the desk within looks up, laughs loudly, and beckons you in.

    "I assume you're the Emerald Tower heroes and not the circus, yes? The thieves didn't take much", he explains, "but the star piece of our exhibit, a statue called the Fire of the Sun and Moon, was stolen last night. The police came through and investigated the scene, but it felt like all they did was poke at the glass case and fast-forward through the security camera footage", the professor sighs. "I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of this eventually, but we need that statue back for the exhibition. Please, if there's anything I can do to help your investigation let me or a guard know. We really must have the statue back before the big concert here on Friday."

  • #2
    Midori Sanzo, the aspect of Fudo Myoo

    The japanese man nodded silently to the guard. His stinky eye didnt do much to the stone face of the monk. Regardless, he followed the man obediently, and bowed lightly to the guard as he departed, and then ever so slightly more to Professor Salinas. After the professor finished explaining the situation Sanzo tilted his head slightly towards his companions. He was truly at loss in these kind of endeavour. Tracking a criminal is one thing, and he had a pair of good eyes for that, but looking for clues where trained professionals have failed, was well beyond his reach.
    "Such is the burden of the one who needs to dispense justice but cannot by himself, Sanzo." were the words of his grandfather. "There hadn't been times in history were collaboration between people was not crucial for meaningful endeavours, and there would not be either." Granfather was a wise man indeed. Sanzo exhaled, the burden lifted from his shoulders as he knew The Cast would take the lead here.
    [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Ghost Town: Familiar Haunts (IC)

      Pratfall
      HP: 1


      "No problem, Prof, we're on the case," Pratfall said cheerfully, slapping the professor on the shoulder and drawing a Meerschaum bubble pipe from his pocket and putting it in his lips. With his other hand, he set a balloon animal teddy-bear in the man's hands.
      "The game's a foot! But why a foot?" If this were a movie, it would have been an investigative montage, Pratfall moving from spot to spot at high speed, pausing to contemplate. At the end, he popped back up in front of the Professor and solemnly set a head-sized dust bunny in his hand.

      "I think... I think the janitors are overpaid here."

      OOC
      He's using Overcrank to comb the area at high speed (-2 ranks). If you're allowing an untrained Investigate check to just search the area, otherwise, I'm rolling Perception. Perception: 1D20+8 = [20]+8 = 28. Ah. That would be a 20 as Untrained Investigate if you allowed it.
      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

      [b]Current games:[/b]
      [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Ghost Town: Familiar Haunts (IC)

        THE CAST
        HP: 1 -> 0, Status: Normal, Location: N.A.C.C., office of Prof. Salinas -> scene of crime (the exhibit)

        Tim nodded at the professor's plea. He wasn't much for reassurances, but one of his three instances spoke up:

        "Don't worry, sir. The Emerald Tower will get to the bottom of this."

        All three of them turned and headed back to the scene of the crime. They multiplied as they went, and by the time they approached the exhibit, there were roughly twelve of him buzzing around, poking and prodding, looking for clues. They tried to cluster together as they noticed Pratfall whizzing through the scene. A strange guy, that one, but Tim had been continually impressed by his results.

        Four copies of Tim stood, watching the others search. Not exactly supervising--it didn't quite work that way with his power--but discussing facts as they were revealed by the others.

        "Fingerprints?"
        "None yet. Ah, we found a little something over... there."
        "Possibly insufficient."
        "But still worth making note of in case it leads to a pattern."


        The other three nodded. Having several minds, even identical ones, think on a problem still sometimes led to unexpected insights. Tim trusted the instincts of each of his selves; there would be a clue. There had to be. Between him and Pratfall, one would surely reveal itself.

        Using Investigation to search for clues, bolstered by Group Analysis and Group Counsel, and by Coordinated Actions (Physical Quickness 4) to speed things up.

        Investigation Check: 1d20 + 14 = [1] + 14 = 15; so that's how it's going to be, eh? *sigh* Spending a HP for a better roll. We really need a good start to this.

        2nd Investigation Check: 1d20 + 14 = [4] + 14 + 10 = 28; between that and Pratfall's roll, we should be set.
        Last edited by Rush; 06-26-2018, 08:39 AM. Reason: Tweaked location
        My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
        Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

        Comment


        • #5
          Midori Sanzo, the aspect of Fudo Myoo

          Sanzo stood by as the others took charge of the situation. He followed, hands on his back, sporting a curious look in his face. Perhaps he could assist them by looking for the things that seemed obvious, even if for discarding. He then spotted something. Pointing at it he simply stated. "There is something there"

          Aid with perception: 27 http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.php?rollid=208740
          [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Ghost Town: Familiar Haunts (IC)

            Gamemaster

            Pratfall's whirlwind investigation uncovers a startling number of interesting things: An empty glass case! A plaque! A picture of a golden statue, two winged men holding a golden sun! A really big feather! Muffled groaning noises coming from somewhere above! Another plaque! Sanzo, pointing at an air vent!

            The Cast's investigation proves less dramatic, but more enigmatic. The glass case that used to hold the Fire of the Sun and Moon is indeed completely absent of fingerprints, but the police inspectors appear to have missed the long parallel scratches on either side of the case. A cursory review of the security camera footage shows the statue simply vanishing from its case, no cause apparent. Faint streaks of soot in esoteric patterns on the wall under the security camera, some of them very similar to the engravings on nearby artifacts. A windowsill overlooking the exhibit strangely free of dust, despite its neighbor having gone long uncleaned.



            Originally posted by Plaque
            The Fire of the Sun and Moon is unique for being native Hekawi art dating back to the 18th century while also incorporating Spanish text, making it easily the first example of colonial influence on native art. The native Hekawi and Spanish both translate to the same poem:
            In timeless time, let black blood rest
            Our peoples held in corrupted nest, sleeping
            through forgotten days
            Paths all turned to trackless ways, feathers
            falling from their wing
            Though winters never turn to spring, man and
            beast must both lend eye
            Standing vigil for the sky.
            Originally posted by Plaque
            The Fire of the Sun and Moon appears related to a story told by Hekawi elders:
            “In the time of our father’s father, allfather Armunatas and his wife Faloshenka the river mother looked down to see man and beast in their earthly domain, living in harmony. Pleased, the gods decided to share their knowledge by sending a child as an emissary, and came together where the mountains met the river in an emerald valley. But they quarreled over what gift to share, and whether they were best deserved by man or beast. In the end, they sent two brothers, each half-man and half-beast, and each bringing a gift: Nimuatu the Kestrel shared strength from the earth ruled by his father, and his brother Maquami the Owl carried all the knowledge gathered along the entire length of the river by his mother. Given freedom to seek out the deserving, the brothers brought strength and wisdom to the Hekawi and all the clans of the hills, and carried the peoples’ thanks back to their parents in the heavens. Only one place was forbidden to the brothers, the island domain of another god where the allfather had caged a hungry creature of darkness. But a blackbird came to the brothers and whispered that they were children of the gods—were they not welcome in any god’s home? Emboldened, but fearful of their parents’ wrath, the brothers drew clouds across the sky to hide them as they journeyed to the forbidden island…and were never seen again. The clouds created by the brothers still hang heavy in the sky of the valley. It is said the rain is the tears of their mother weeping for her missing children and the thunder is their wrathful father planning his punishment his sons’ return. Thus do the Hekawi know that the strength and wisdom of the people is a gift from the gods, and to be wary of the blackbird’s caw, a warning against pride and forbidden places.”

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Ghost Town: Familiar Haunts (IC)

              Pratfall
              HP: 1


              Pratfall sidled up to one of the instances of The Cast.
              "Besides the dust bunny, we have a lot of stuff about the Native American legend, kind of a Garden of Eden thing but with a blackbird instead of a snake. Oh, and something on the roof," he said cheerfully, albeit a good bit less manically.

              When Sanzo indicated the vent, Pratfall was immediately by his side, rapidly twisting a set of balloons into a model of a dog in classic "point" stance. He sighted along it to the vent.
              "Hmm... who wants to guess that the vents go up to the roof? Could it be that Timmy is trapped there? Good girl." He pushes the balloon sculpture to Sanzo then rushes out of the door. Once there, he mimes setting something against the side of the building and begins quickly scaling the invisible ladder to the rooftop.

              OOC
              Suiting action to words, he's moving up towards the roof using his Invisible Stairs effect to "climb" up there.
              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

              [b]Current games:[/b]
              [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Ghost Town: Familiar Haunts (IC)

                THE CAST
                HP: 0, Status: Normal, Location: N.A.C.C., scene of crime (the exhibit)

                Several of him watched as Pratfall went outside and up, presumably to the roof. He would normally test their earpieces to ensure his teammate was online, but he'd learned long ago that he should only attempt that when he was... less numerous. Having a dozen voices simultaneously checking the connection rarely helped.

                He reclustered, a handful of bodies at each point of focus: the window sill, and the scratched glass case. A third quint of instances headed toward the nearby artifacts, attempting to match symbols with what was drawn on the wall in soot under the camera.

                All of him were a bit uneasy at the information on the plaques. A statue tied to a mythological blackbird, talon-like scratches on the glass, and a feather, all together. He sincerely hoped some old-school god didn't show up. That was never easy to handle.

                Continuing to Investigate, specifically focusing on the window sill, the scratches and the other artifacts. Looking for: signs of entry via the window, possible metal or organic traces along the scratches, and an accounting of which other artifacts had their patterns drawn.

                Investigation Check: 1d20 + 14 = [6] + 14 = 20
                My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
                Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Ghost Town: Familiar Haunts (IC)

                  Gamemaster

                  Pratfall:
                  The rooftop is sprinkled with leaves, pine needles, and a fine layer of dirt. It appears nobody's been up here recently.
                  Barely audible under the swaying of trees in the wind and the sound of your footsteps on the room, you can hear faint sobbing coming echoing from the museum's air conditioner, the whimpers distorted as they bounce through the vents.

                  The Cast:
                  Further examination of the scratches on the statue's case not only reveals trace amounts of keratin, but also similar scratches and divots on the floor between the case and the window. Whoever or whatever stole the statue was walking with bared claws!
                  While the window looks fine from the inside, looking at the window's outside reveals that the lock is broken, appearing to have burst from pressure applied from inside it. There are also no footprints outside the window, but the outside of the window's frame has both similar scratches and recent fingerprints.
                  Matching the soot symbols to the Hekawi engravings is somewhat less fruitful. The exhibit contains artifacts with symbols similar enough to convince you that the soot symbols are Hekawi in origin but all the historians who arranged the exhibit had to say about the symbols is that they "are thought to have been considered to have mystic significance".

                  Sanzo:
                  Professor Salinas enters the room and walks over to you. "I couldn't just sit back and wait while the museum's pride is on the line, not that it did any good when the police were here. I can't even trust my own staff, our newest security guard never showed up for work the night of the theft." he bemoans and then, carefully watching The Cast examine the entire exhibit at once, lowers his voice to ask if you've solved it yet.

                  OOC:
                  Identifying the soot symbols is an Expertise: Magic check. Full and total information is DC 25, but rolls as low as DC 11 will yield some information. If both The Cast and Gremlin roll, I'll treat it as a Team Check with whoever gets the best result being the "leader".

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Ghost Town: Familiar Haunts (IC)

                    THE CAST
                    HP: 0, Status: Normal, Location: N.A.C.C., scene of crime (the exhibit)

                    Originally posted by Nunya B View Post
                    Professor Salinas: Carefully watching The Cast examine the entire exhibit at once, he lowers his voice to ask if you've solved it yet.
                    Tim grimaced as he considered the question. He didn't like what he'd found, but being coy likely wouldn't help either.

                    "Well," one of him started, "there are clues, and I don't think I like them."
                    "First, I'm guessing that a giant blackbird took the statue, as strange as that sounds," stated another instance that walked up. He didn't elaborate.
                    A second walk-up pointed toward the window, where two instances were dusting. "They likely came in there; I'll have fingerprints in a minute."
                    The first one continued, "Last, we found some weird symbols, but..."

                    He and the two others nearby stood, looking at each other. They were trying to rack their brains as to possible origins of the runes, every now and then quietly tossing out brief ideas that were summarily dismissed.

                    "Egyptian?"
                    "Not according to the lack of eye focii."
                    "What about...."


                    OOC: Since SuperZero's still not posted, I'll go ahead and try to keep things moving....

                    Expertise (Magic) Check: 1d20 + 4 = [7] + 4 = 11; good enough for assistance if Gremlin jumps in, otherwise... let's see what it yields.
                    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
                    Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Ghost Town: Familiar Haunts (IC)

                      Pratfall
                      HP: 1


                      Pratfall tapped his communicator on. "Wrong film, guys. I guess this isn't Lassie," he said in a matter-of-fact-voice before dropping it to a low rasp.
                      "They're in the vents..." Back to his normal tone of voice, he steps off of the roof, holding his hand above his head, and drifts to the ground.
                      "Someone might want to check on that... maybe one of the burglars got stuck? They're whimpering something fierce."
                      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

                      [b]Current games:[/b]
                      [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sanzo

                        "Hmm that is not a minor detail Professor." The monk says, bowing before the professor, and making his way towards one of The Cast. "Cast, the professor informs me that their newest security guard never showed up for work the night of the theft. I believe it begs further investigation, wouldn't you agree?"
                        [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Sanzo

                          THE CAST
                          HP: 0, Status: Normal, Location: N.A.C.C., scene of crime (the exhibit)

                          Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
                          "Wrong film, guys. I guess this isn't Lassie," he said in a matter-of-fact-voice before dropping it to a low rasp.
                          "They're in the vents..." Back to his normal tone of voice, he steps off of the roof, holding his hand above his head, and drifts to the ground.
                          "Someone might want to check on that... maybe one of the burglars got stuck? They're whimpering something fierce."
                          Originally posted by Evolución View Post
                          "Hmm that is not a minor detail Professor." The monk says, bowing before the professor, and making his way towards one of The Cast. "Cast, the professor informs me that their newest security guard never showed up for work the night of the theft. I believe it begs further investigation, wouldn't you agree?"
                          Several sets of eyes narrowed as they peered at the vent. "Indeed, I would," came the response to Sanzo's query.

                          All of Tim quickly headed over to underneath the ventilation. He'd need as many bodies as he could get to pull this off. Quickly forming a human scaffolding, they pushed higher and higher until one of him was right underneath. That one created an instance inside the vent, and the rest vanished.

                          The investigator pulled a small flashlight from his toolkit and turned it on. He hoped that the guard wasn't too badly hurt; the ride back down might be a bit bumpy.

                          OOC: Using Wave of Bodies to get to the vents, then Appear, Disappear to get inside.

                          As soon as he spots something/someone, he'll immediately radio it to the others.
                          My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
                          Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Ghost Town: Familiar Haunts (IC)

                            Gamemaster

                            The Cast arrives in the ductwork without issue and is immediately discomforted by the cold air in the vent and loud droning of the air conditioner. Retrieving the flashlight is moderately difficult in the tight confines of the vent but The Cast pulls it off without any issue. The flashlight clicks to life and illuminates a young Hekawi man in a security guard's uniform, thoroughly bound and gagged with lengths of tan cloth. The man's tear-stained eyes grow wide at the sudden light, but he remains calm until he makes out The Cast's mask behind the glare of the flashlight. The young man then immediately panics, his body straining against the bindings as he screams something unintelligible into his gag.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Ghost Town: Familiar Haunts (IC)

                              Pratfall
                              HP: 1


                              Pratfall returns to the room and does an exaggerated double-take.
                              "OK... so you got me beat there. I can do a rabbit from a hat or a pocket, but a security guard? Now that's just showing off."
                              He begins to pull a wide variety of gags and balloon animals out of his pockets, more than should have fit there, before turning them inside out and shrugging.
                              "And I'm fresh out of doctors. 'Course, I think this guy might need a psychotherapist instead... " He stuffed most of the items from his pockets back in, leaving him only holding up a stuffed duck.

                              "Can Mr. Therapy Duck help? I don't think the university recognizes his duck-torate, but do you?"
                              He held the duck up beside his head, squeezing at the spring inside to make the duck mouth move.
                              "Iz it true dat you hav issuez wit your mozzer? Mebbe eff you talk it out, you vill feel bezzer?" he said in a high squeaky voice and a bad Austrian accent without moving his lips.

                              OOC
                              Persuade (Calm): 1D20+8 = [2]+8 = 10 probably isn't going to be sufficient.
                              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

                              [b]Current games:[/b]
                              [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X