Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Arthur Eld
    started a topic Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    It is the middle of the evening, around nine o' clock on a cloudy night in Bay City, formerly known as San Francisco.

    Gustavo
    You remember before-Absolution and Conviction in your hand, granting the only peace monsters would know, that of the grave, to them. A horde of fangs, and claws, fire and blood in the darkness. And then, the long sleep, locked into a sarcophagus . It stretches on and on, your history, but its like the ocean to you-vast and deep and hard to tell one spot apart from another. Then there is the now, your resting place broken open by men with strange uniforms and shovels, which had sent you wandering away in a daze.

    You honestly aren't sure how long ago that was. But now, you're here, in a place called a "University". There's a number of stone buildings before you and in one of them are your weapons, you just know. And...something else. This is a strange place and you know, as you always do, that danger are magic are afoot. Why else would you be awake?

    Dr. Mole
    You're not a historian you told them, you're a geologist. They hadn't listened and now you were forced to make your way to the Native American Cultural Studies on campus (though it wasn't technically owned by the college) to examine strange mineral samples. Whether they wanted your expertise or the exposure having "Dr. Mole" present his findings on their new collection of historical artifacts, you weren't sure. The life of a super-powered academic is never easy.

    You see a man nearby, kind of wandering around the campus, which is a normal sight even at night. What's not normal is the way he seems to be dressed.

    Arc
    Another night of patrol, out looking for crimes to stop or people to help. Despite everything Black Lightning had taught you, nothing could prepare for the sheer boredom of it. The odds of finding something even from your rooftop vantage were-

    Wait, were those wings? You see what appear to be human-shaped silhouettes, with flapping wings in the night sky, not far from you. You can tell they're moving quick, too quick for you to catch, but you can follow.

    Rune
    Tonight's the night, you're sure of it. Well, pretty sure. High 80 percent. Something potentially very dangerous, and definitely magical is going to happen, but that only means so much. A city as big as this, there were any number of magical supers who might be up to something, to say nothing of the out of towners who could enter Bay City as easily as snapping their fingers or mumbling a few words. From what your scrying and mystic senses had been able to tell, it was going to go down somewhere near Bay City University. Not exactly GPS co-ordinates, but then you've got magical tattoos on your feet and legs that would make getting there a cinch.

    Bombshell
    Honestly, this is beneath you, but the pay is good. Apparently there's some big music concert/festival going on just outside Bay City University, and you've been tapped for security. That's what happened when your identity wasn't a secret. A police official who knew you by reputation recommended you to the college and the people planning the concert (the big number was some hip hop group called the Longbowz, but there were plenty more) and they leapt at the chance. They could pay you ten times as much as what anyone else would make doing the same job, and still feel safer than if they'd actually hired ten more guards.

    So flying high above the venue, that was when you noticed it, something like a flash of blue light near one of the college's buildings. Not the venue itself, and so not technically your problem but whatever it was it didn't look like something campus cops could handle.

    Nora and The Glamorous Goo Girl

    Nora, you're just winding up your shift at the Wynne's convenience store, stocking the shelves and doing inventory. As usual your speed and strength meant that you could finish up early.

    Moira, you're just there to pick up a few things since the store is near your house, and David, despite living by himself for over a year, had no idea how to shop properly. There are only a handful of other customers, standing in line, checking the aisles or just milling about, including a bored looking police officer.

    Suddenly his radio goes off. "Unit K8, this is Dispatch. Possible 10-31 at Bay City Univeristy. Possibly metahuman involvement."

    I'm just gonna go ahead and say that thanks to Nora's Savant intelligence, she knows 10-31 means "crime in progress." And of course, everybody knows what metahumans (or superhumans, or paranormals, and so on, as these are all generic umbrella terms in the Crinoverse) means.
    Last edited by Arthur Eld; 04-17-2018, 06:22 AM.

  • Plan B
    replied
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    Originally posted by tonberrian View Post
    Rune
    HP 2; Condition: Normal

    "You lost it! Where'd it go?!?"


    Perception: 1D20 + 7 = [2]+7 = 9
    Bombshell
    HP:3 Status:


    "Relax, magic artifacts are usally pretty tough, worst case, i'll just scorch the earth and we can pick it out the ash. I'll warn you, before i do that." Bombshell offered a reassuring smile, as she shook the house in mid air.

    Leave a comment:


  • FuzzyBoots
    replied
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    Dr. Moleman
    HP: 2
    Status: 1 Wound


    Dr. Toupeira nodded amiably. "There may be resources. More things on Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your..." he cut himself off with a chuckle. "Right... the number of people who recognize that phrase in my world is dwindling, let alone another one that was likely cut off before the Bard... anyhow, there are a lot of people out there with very strange powers. While we are still at liberty to speak amicable, while this fracas is going on," he motioned to the fight, "It doesn't hurt to discuss possible future options."

    After a moment, and with a slightly abashed air, he added, "And I feel very stereo-typically majority-culture here, but can you tell me of your life here? Your culture? I'm afraid that we were given the impression by certain parties that you were savages, little more than monsters. It's always refreshing to know that there is something more, no?"

    OOC
    Terribly sorry. I could have sworn I posted a response, but there it is not.

    And yes, he's probably pretty horribly bumbling in his attempts to ingratiate himself. ^_^ What can I say? I'm considering what I might say in a similar situation.

    Leave a comment:


  • tonberrian
    replied
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    Rune
    HP 2; Condition: Normal

    "You lost it! Where'd it go?!?"


    Perception: 1D20 + 7 = [2]+7 = 9

    Leave a comment:


  • Mettaur2
    replied
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    Gustavo Grief
    HP: 0, Cnd: Normal

    Even from this distance the thundering clap would cause his tattered wrappings to flutter against the shockwave. Nora's strength was truly impressive and a cause to be wary in the future should he find himself on the wrong side of her. In a moment she crossed the battlefield like a hammer of justice crashing from the heavens.

    In the chaos of the aftermath though, Gustavo would catch sight of the fluttering mantle that they were pursuing and immediately leveled Absolution, his left handed revolver in the creatures direction. He was a good distance away and dust was still in the air from Nora's landing and clap, but they all meant nothing as his eyes gleamed like a cat's eyes in the night as he pulled the trigger to fire off an accurate shot to strike the monk, taking care to avoid damaging the mantle.



    Taking -2 to my active defenses to add +2 to this attack.
    1D20+12+2 = [11]+12+2 = 25 DC 23 vs Shroud Monk

    Leave a comment:


  • Plan B
    replied
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    Bombshell
    HP:3 Status:


    " Well that was easier than expected." Bombshell said with a smirk.

    Perception: 1D20+10 = [1]+10 = 11
    Guessing, no. Maybe some enemies will help

    Leave a comment:


  • jmucchiello
    replied
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    GGG
    HP: 0; Condition: -3 (7pp) Strength (after her last turn)
    DC 29: 1D20+13 = [11]+13 = 24 1 wound
    HP: 0; Condition: -3 (6pp) Strength, 1 wound (after this turn)

    GGG has nothing else but punches. She slams out again
    Attack: 1D20+7 = [10]+7 = 17

    If that hits, it's a DC 25 Toughness check versus the Damage effect.
    And, it's a DC 20 Grapple check. (future escape attempts are made at DC 25 due to Improved Hold.)
    And if the grapple succeeds, it's a DC 20 Fortitude save against her Strength drain.

    Leave a comment:


  • Arthur Eld
    replied
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    Bombshell, Arc, Rune

    The tree house is well-crafted of solid wood, expansive and sturdy. It still splinters and tears away from the tree it is attached to under Bombshell's quantum powers. However, the house shakes and rips apart as its supports fall away from the tree, leaving it in bad shape, tumbling through the air as it nears the trio. Things go flying out of its windows, open doors and the myriad holes it now. Things, perhaps, including the very prize you were sent here to seek.

    Everybody make a Perception check to spot the Kingsheart as it falls from the treehouse.
    Goo Girl, Dr. Moleman

    The Wolfen grunts in response. "Mm...yes. But I would also like to fly like a hawk." He shrugs expansively, seeming to indicate both goals as impossibly out of reach.

    Down in the pit, the pack leader grunt's as Goo Girl's fist strikes her, but her own grip is iron strong and she pries herself free of her opponent's clutches.

    Ducking low, her legs tense before she pounces, claws raking and tearing at Goo Girl's 'flesh.'

    She takes a -1 toughness penalty, but passes a strength check to resist the grab.
    On her turn, she'll All-out attack and Power attack for +2 each, she gets an 18. If that hits, its DC 29 Toughness.
    Nora, Gustavo

    Corralled by the fire of Gustavo's magic, monster-killing guns, the monks flee towards the relative safety of the mission. They've just about neared the gates when Nora lands with a mighty impact directly in their path. Before they can reverse course, her mighty thunderclap leaves several unconscious and a few more looking much the worse for wear. The shroud itself is nearly flown clear of the Monk wearing it, splaying in directions past him like a sea beast's tendrils but ultimately staying attached.

    Rather than roll for every Blood Monk, we'll roll just once. Out of their potential resistances, Intimidation is higher, so 1d20+6=8. Yeah, they're good and Dazed.
    Because they're scared, they'll sacrifice their Standard action for a Move action. They can move 250 feet in a single move, which gets them closer to the mission walls. Nora's Leaping rank is still one distance rank better than that, so she lands as close as she wants to them, easily catching six of them in her cone, including the one with the Shroud.
    Of those six, three are knocked straight out, one lucky bastard is unfazed by both effects, and the other two are Defenseless (Shroudy is one of the these two)
    That makes it Gustavo's turn

    Leave a comment:


  • FuzzyBoots
    replied
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    Dr. Moleman
    HP: 2
    Status: 1 Wound


    "Ah," Dr. Toupeira said, doing his best to sound sympathetic, "And is that a life that you would like to return to one day, whenever all of this," he waved to indicate the upcoming combat and the state of the world in general, "is done?"
    He resettled his weight a bit. "Although, I must say that I do also understand the appeal of this fur. Keeps one warm and dry in a surprising variety of situations."

    OOC
    He will Take 10 on his Persuasion check if you'll allow that, since he's not in combat, just trying to get them to seem him more favorably. He has a bonus of +6, which would give him a total of 16, enough to boost their friendliness by one stage assuming there are not circumstance penalties in place.

    Leave a comment:


  • Plan B
    replied
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    Bombshell
    HP:3 Status:


    " Clear the branches, i'm going bring it to us. " Bombshell ordered, raising her hand as the emerald energies wrapped around the central tree house lifting it from the tree.


    Using Quantum grasp: Move object 10 (damaging, precise), it'll lift 25 tons if successful i'll carry it towards the others.

    Leave a comment:


  • tonberrian
    replied
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    Rune
    HP: 2; Condition: Normal


    Rune climbs her way up the trees.

    Athletics: 1D20+10 = [7]+10 = 17

    Leave a comment:


  • jmucchiello
    replied
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    GGG
    HP: 0; Condition: -3 (7pp) Strength
    _: 1D20+7 = [7]+7 = 14

    Goo Girl will continue with her original plan, doomed to fail perhaps. (Copied from above)

    Goo Girl's clothing ripples and takes on the appearance of well-fitting leather armor. "No nonsense. I like that."

    She uses her elongation to slam the king from 20-30 feet away and initiate a fast grab.
    First strike: 1D20+7 = [18]+7 = 25

    If that hits, it's a DC 25 Toughness check versus the Damage effect.
    And, it's a DC 20 Grapple check. (future escape attempts are made at DC 25 due to Improved Hold.)
    And if the grapple succeeds, it's a DC 20 Fortitude save against her Strength drain.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mettaur2
    replied
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    ( I'll stick with my Daze action. I still think that this is a good way to give Nora the best chance to smash as many as possible while minimizing her risk. )

    Leave a comment:


  • Arthur Eld
    replied
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    Arc, Bombshell, Rune

    Some of the witchwings fly up to engage their attackers, but the majority of them stay in place. Clearly they take their guard duties very seriously.

    The treehouses are about a hundred feet up, the one with the most guards is probably another thirty feet away, horizontally, from where you guys are. So well within Bombshell's cruising distance.
    The trees are pretty dense, so Rune and Arc will need an Athletics check to avoid suffering a penalty to their speed (of course, Bombshell could also just Move Object them up there with her), which will just determine how much has happened by the time you get there.
    Nora & Gustavo

    As they catch sight of you, the Monks look up, pointing and screeching. They leave off their individual hunts to focus on you.

    Initiative for the Monks 1d20+4=21

    So it goes Gustavo, the Monks (there are 13 of them) and then Nora. Gustavo can stick with his Daze attempt, or try something else, if you wish.
    Glamorous Goo Girl & Dr. Moleman

    The beast just looks at the good doctor quizzically, bringing a touch of comedy to its otherwise dangerous looking face. "Not...natives. Once ranged up whole coast. Trapped in this foggy place."

    Down in the make-shift arena, the pack leader snarls and flexes her muscles, before a strange glow pulses from Marraco's Claw. She seems larger now, even more rippling with muscle. Then that glow shifts colors, going from a bronze to a deep red, a glow that suddenly envelops Goo Girl, sapping her strength.

    Initiative for the Wolven leader 1d20+9=23
    So he goes first.
    Perception Range Weaken Strength 10, resisted by Will. I'll let you decide if you wanna keep your previous action once you resolve that.
    And while everyone's wounds have recovered, no, there haven't been any new Hero Points given just yet.

    Leave a comment:


  • Plan B
    replied
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    Bombshell
    HP:3 Status:

    Bombshell looked over the battle, that made things complicated, but on the other hand could save them a unneeded brawl. "Another fine clusterfuck, today just isn't isn't my day. For now i think waiting for them to thin each others numbers might be for the best. Unless either of you two are particulairy good at clearing large numbers of targets." she asked weighing her options.

    initiative: 1D20+2 = [10]+2 = 12


    Can we have some rough distances on this one boss?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X