Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    It is the middle of the evening, around nine o' clock on a cloudy night in Bay City, formerly known as San Francisco.

    Gustavo
    You remember before-Absolution and Conviction in your hand, granting the only peace monsters would know, that of the grave, to them. A horde of fangs, and claws, fire and blood in the darkness. And then, the long sleep, locked into a sarcophagus . It stretches on and on, your history, but its like the ocean to you-vast and deep and hard to tell one spot apart from another. Then there is the now, your resting place broken open by men with strange uniforms and shovels, which had sent you wandering away in a daze.

    You honestly aren't sure how long ago that was. But now, you're here, in a place called a "University". There's a number of stone buildings before you and in one of them are your weapons, you just know. And...something else. This is a strange place and you know, as you always do, that danger are magic are afoot. Why else would you be awake?

    Dr. Mole
    You're not a historian you told them, you're a geologist. They hadn't listened and now you were forced to make your way to the Native American Cultural Studies on campus (though it wasn't technically owned by the college) to examine strange mineral samples. Whether they wanted your expertise or the exposure having "Dr. Mole" present his findings on their new collection of historical artifacts, you weren't sure. The life of a super-powered academic is never easy.

    You see a man nearby, kind of wandering around the campus, which is a normal sight even at night. What's not normal is the way he seems to be dressed.

    Arc
    Another night of patrol, out looking for crimes to stop or people to help. Despite everything Black Lightning had taught you, nothing could prepare for the sheer boredom of it. The odds of finding something even from your rooftop vantage were-

    Wait, were those wings? You see what appear to be human-shaped silhouettes, with flapping wings in the night sky, not far from you. You can tell they're moving quick, too quick for you to catch, but you can follow.

    Rune
    Tonight's the night, you're sure of it. Well, pretty sure. High 80 percent. Something potentially very dangerous, and definitely magical is going to happen, but that only means so much. A city as big as this, there were any number of magical supers who might be up to something, to say nothing of the out of towners who could enter Bay City as easily as snapping their fingers or mumbling a few words. From what your scrying and mystic senses had been able to tell, it was going to go down somewhere near Bay City University. Not exactly GPS co-ordinates, but then you've got magical tattoos on your feet and legs that would make getting there a cinch.

    Bombshell
    Honestly, this is beneath you, but the pay is good. Apparently there's some big music concert/festival going on just outside Bay City University, and you've been tapped for security. That's what happened when your identity wasn't a secret. A police official who knew you by reputation recommended you to the college and the people planning the concert (the big number was some hip hop group called the Longbowz, but there were plenty more) and they leapt at the chance. They could pay you ten times as much as what anyone else would make doing the same job, and still feel safer than if they'd actually hired ten more guards.

    So flying high above the venue, that was when you noticed it, something like a flash of blue light near one of the college's buildings. Not the venue itself, and so not technically your problem but whatever it was it didn't look like something campus cops could handle.

    Nora and The Glamorous Goo Girl

    Nora, you're just winding up your shift at the Wynne's convenience store, stocking the shelves and doing inventory. As usual your speed and strength meant that you could finish up early.

    Moira, you're just there to pick up a few things since the store is near your house, and David, despite living by himself for over a year, had no idea how to shop properly. There are only a handful of other customers, standing in line, checking the aisles or just milling about, including a bored looking police officer.

    Suddenly his radio goes off. "Unit K8, this is Dispatch. Possible 10-31 at Bay City Univeristy. Possibly metahuman involvement."

    I'm just gonna go ahead and say that thanks to Nora's Savant intelligence, she knows 10-31 means "crime in progress." And of course, everybody knows what metahumans (or superhumans, or paranormals, and so on, as these are all generic umbrella terms in the Crinoverse) means.
    Last edited by Arthur Eld; 04-17-2018, 06:22 AM.
    Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!

  • #2
    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

    Nora
    HP 1 Luck 2 Condition Fine

    "I think we might have some of those in the back, I'll go look for you." Nora cheerily informed an old woman, crouching down a little to meet her eye line, she loved meeting new people and working at the Wynne's store was one of her favourite ways to do it, right up there with taking Joshua & Caitlin to the library. She headed for the storeroom, fully intending to find an illusive bundle of Chard when she heard the officer's radio go off.

    "MisterWynneIhavetogobutIpromiseI'llfinishinventor ywhenIgetback! Sorry!" She shouted before rushing for the exit without even bothering to undo her apron. Once outside she launched herself in to the air, bounding towards the University.

    OOC
    Expertise (Bay City) to make sure she's going the right way: 1D20+13 = [2]+13 = 15
    Moving at Leaping 6
    Last edited by Dodgson; 04-16-2018, 01:05 PM.
    [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7212-Dodgson-s-Builds"]My Builds[/URL]
    [B]Playing[/B]
    [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7430-3E-Crinoverse-Tales-to-Astonish-(Recruitment-Closed)?p=260270&viewfull=1#post260270"]Nora[/URL]
    [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7810-The-Merge-Young-Hero-Initiative-(recruitment-closed)?p=268145&viewfull=1#post268145"]Diana Gladwin AKA Godiva (and Samson)[/URL]

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

      Moira is happy she was out in public with a fake face so she would not be noticed as

      The Glamorous Goo Girl

      She wheeled her cart off to side and slipped out of the store. As she rounded a corner she changed her basic look to that of someone wearing a jogging outfit and listening to some tunes on a ipod not actually made of plastic and metal. Luckily the University wasn't far away as she was only twice as fast as an Olympian sprinter.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

        Rune
        HP 1; Luck 1; Condition Normal

        "F***." Charlie squashed the stub of a cigarette out in her ashtray. Luckily there weren't any clients scheduled for tonight, so she flipped the door's sign to "Closed", then picked up her jacket and left. Bay City University was a bit of a hike, but, well, the fate of the city was on the line. Sticking to the shadows and rooftops, Rune made her way there, ready to at least witness what was going down.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

          Originally posted by Arthur Eld View Post
          It is the middle of the evening, around nine o' clock on a cloudy night in Bay City, formerly known as San Francisco.

          Gustavo
          You remember before-Absolution and Conviction in your hand, granting the only peace monsters would know, that of the grave, to them. A horde of fangs, and claws, fire and blood in the darkness. And then, the long sleep, locked into a sarcophagus . It stretches on and on, your history, but its like the ocean to you-vast and deep and hard to tell one spot apart from another. Then there is the now, your resting place broken open by men with strange uniforms and shovels, which had sent you wandering away in a daze.

          You honestly aren't sure how long ago that was. But now, you're here, in a place called a "University". There's a number of stone buildings before you and in one of them are your weapons, you just know. And...something else. This is a strange place and you know, as you always do, that danger are magic are afoot. Why else would you be awake?
          In his deep ritual induced slumber, time marched on without meaning, without so much as even dreams in which to tide him over as the centuries passed. His body may as well have been a corpse, laying inside the heavy stone casket, dressed in ceremonial clothes and wrappings if not for the unnatural way his features had remained preserved. He could have laid in repose like that till judgement day came, and perhaps that would have been the eventual intention if not for the sudden breaking of the ritual seal and the heavy stone casket lid coming away.

          "Whoa, would you look at that?" One of the men spoke.
          "Amazing! This cadaver looks like it's almost still-" Another began, when Gustavo's eyes flashed open. "Mummies Alive!" The man cried out, suddenly stumbeling back.

          Stirring, Gustavo groaned as he rose from the sarcophagus, wrappings tearing as time had worn at the fabric even as it seemed to not have touched him. His hand would reach up, running across his face as he turned his attention aside and towards the strange men who surrounded him.

          <"Who are you? Where am I? Where are my bretheren?"> He spoke in a weak and raspy tone, narrowing his eyes to take in his surroundings swiftly.

          "Hold still, sir! It's alright! What is this guy? He gives me the creeps." A worker said, holding his hands out to steady Gustavo while seeming nervous to approach. "Can you understand me?"

          <"Unhand me!"> Gustavo's movement was then swift as his hand pushed at the others, shoving him to the side while his own legs kicked up, flipping up and out of the casket with such speed that it sent the other works into frightened movement. As one, the group tried to rush forward to help the other man and press back against Gustavo. Their movements however would only serve to impede one another as Gustavo spun and flipped through their midst, shoving them into one another and tripping them up till he had an opening to rush out of the chamber his sarcophagus had been kept in.

          It took him some time before the confusion wore off, his deep spell induced sleep having left him lethargic and confused and worse there was a gnawing hunger eating away at his stomache. The centuries had done well to put quite an edge to his hunger, but with that hunger also came sharpened senses as he wandered with a hunters eyes.

          How long had he slept? Where was he? The strange stone buildings were a wonder to him. <"Not a castle, the defenses would not withstand an attack... Perhaps a shrine or a temple of some sort?"> He mused as he stumbled forward. Beyond this strange 'University' other things were happening, he could see more sights beyond that confused him and he heard some distant thumping sound, some kind of din that was just outside the bounds of the University. There was far too much to take in, too many unfamiliar things, it made his head ache as his mind struggled to catalogue everything he saw.

          No, best thing was to take things one step at a time. Step one. Find his weapons. He knew they were near, he could almost feel them nearby even if he didn't know where. Once he had them in hand? Yes, that would be Step Two. Something was happening, he could taste it in the air and feel that something was not right, and he would be prepared to meet it. Thus, still dressed in tattered robes and wrappings, he would begin to walk to the first stone building he could see with a stern gait of someone with purpose.
          "Which is more important, duty or humanity? Duty is more important in a mans life! There's little difference between long or short, but it doesn't matter in your life!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

            Originally posted by Arthur Eld View Post

            Bombshell
            Honestly, this is beneath you, but the pay is good. Apparently there's some big music concert/festival going on just outside Bay City University, and you've been tapped for security. That's what happened when your identity wasn't a secret. A police official who knew you by reputation recommended you to the college and the people planning the concert (the big number was some hip hop group called the Longbowz, but there were plenty more) and they leapt at the chance. They could pay you ten times as much as what anyone else would make doing the same job, and still feel safer than if they'd actually hired ten more guards.

            So flying high above the venue, that was when you noticed it, something like a flash of blue light near one of the college's buildings. Not the venue itself, and so not technically your problem but whatever it was it didn't look like something campus cops could handle.
            Bombshell

            Bombshell sighed as gigs when this a good one, short well paying and didn't require much heavy lifting. Her main job was be a visable deterent, considering the the amount of firepower she could bring to bear an attack chopper might have been more reasonable. A flash of blue light caught her eye, her gut told her it wasn't something to be ignored. She paused a moment it was technically out of remit, simply leaving would be unprofessional, however an incident happening this close to her would reflect poorly as well.

            She picked up the walkie talkie they had provided. "This is Bombshell. Possible post-human incident north north east, evaluating risk to venue." She reported authoritatively implying that it was entirly her job to it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

              Arc
              Status: Boredom = Death

              "We all live in a yellow submarine...a yellow submarine...a yellow seriously this is what I've come to singing songs in my head to pass the time." Arc thought to herself, porting from rooftop to rooftop was fine. When she surged through a large gap she could always feel a small tingle throughout her body which gave her the feeling of going down a rollercoaster. But seriously, she'd been downtown, she'd been uptown, she'd been all over town and there was nothing. Not that she was complaining but if she knew there'd be no action tonight she'd have stayed inside and binged watched The Office...again.

              She opened up a small bag with some basic supplies, water...snacks...and down'd the last of the energy bar she brought with her. Taking a moment to appreciate the fact that it was a still night. She wondered if her parents were still up. "I'll do another jaunt around the block and if I don't see anything I'll call it a night, maybe go see them and we can grab some late night Ice...helllooo..."

              Emily put her things back inside her small track bag she used. Multiple wings, multiple silhouettes, if it were one she'd assume it was another meta...but multiple, that sounded like a good time in the midst of a boring night.

              I was going to roll a perception check to see how many silhouettes there were, but...
              Perception Check: 1D20+5 = [3]+5 = 8
              GM Pillars Rise and Heroes Fall (OOC) (IC),Setting Notes for Pillars Fall

              Games I'm In:
              Emily Whittier aka Arc in Crinoverse: Tales to Astonish

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

                Dr. Moleman
                HP: 1
                Status: Normal


                Dr. Toupeira groused under his breath as down the grey-stoned pathways of the university, his way lit by the harsh brilliance of halogen bulbs in the lights above.
                "Damnit Jim... I'm a Doctor, not an archaeologist..." he muttered, swinging his tweed-suited arms more vigorously, the long claws on the end flashing dangerously under the lamplight. He stopped on the path and took in a deep breath then released it.
                "Got to calm down," he said more quietly, "Let it go." For a moment, the sugary-sweet tune from the hit Disney animated movie ran through his head, causing him to shudder.
                "Right, well, proof that things can always get worse, now that is stuck in my head." He shook his head, and continued walking, ignoring the siren sound of the dirt around him, and continuing to self-narrate.
                "The dean isn't just concerned with publicity. Probably. He still holds onto that ridiculous theory that whatever it was that gave me this might also have given me access to some sort of tribal knowledge. Some sort of bullshit Magic Native American mumbo jumbo..." He trailed off and quickly glanced around to ensure no one was in earshot. Then, he felt silly, since he probably would have felt their footsteps, even distracted as he was. Then, he felt footsteps.

                They were... odd. At first, he thought it was a drunken student based upon the uneven rhythm of vibrations and the occasional low rattle of a foot not lifted high enough and dragged across the ground, but they were becoming more sure and confident, too fast for someone sobering up. Maybe they were sitting in a bad position and their leg fell asleep? As his brains tried to impose horses upon fanciful thoughts of zebras, Dr. Toupeira turned towards where he felt the sound and walked off of the path and into the grass. The ground felt soothing under his feet, bare by necessity due to how fast his toenails chewed through shoes. A short jaunt later, and he had walked enough past The Wall of Spite (a frankly ridiculous art installation by his estimation, 20 feet of laboriously posed white mannequins in constant struggle, which the artist had claimed represented man's hatred towards man. He felt it was more likely that someone had some deep psychological issues), which had been blocking his line of sight, and he saw a man in tattered robes.
                So... slightly less likely to be a drunken student. Although this could still be some sort of fraternity hazing... some new variation on the toga? With a sigh, he quickened his pace. When he was a few dozen feet away, he called out.
                "Hello? Can I ask what you're doing on University premises?" His voice, trained over the years to carry through packed lecture halls (not that he usually had that many students interested in the finer points of Geology), rang through the night air in a rumbling bass. "Do you need medical aid?" He studiously attempted to keep his hands low, slightly spread by his sides, hoping to appear non-threatening. The last thing I want is one of those superpowered yahoos causing more damage... that I will not doubt be blamed for.


                OOC
                I am assuming this is Gustavo, so I felt free in adding a few more details.
                [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

                [b]Current games:[/b]
                [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

                  Arc

                  Its hard for you tell anything about their numbers, or even their general shapes beside humanoid with wing, but you can still keep them in sight enough to follow. They've definitely got an edge, speed-wise though but as long as you don't lose them completely you think you'll be alright.

                  Give me an Athletics or Acrobatics check, whichever is higher, plus the ranks of your Teleport power.
                  Bombshell

                  A voice comes back on your walkie after a short pause, you recognize it as the campus' head of authority. "Copy that, Bombshell. Letting local PD know. Do you want assistance?"

                  A perception check will help you pinpoint exactly where the flash of light came from.
                  Rune

                  There's definitely magic of some kind at the campus. The background noise of other mystical signals fade away and you get a sense of just a few things. Magic of some kind was used recently, to you its as distinct as the smell of a cigarette after its been put out. And then, there's something else, a steadier but quiet presence. A being with some kind of magic on them...but not your typical outsider fae or minor spirit. Besides that, there's something in the background, "louder" but less distinct like radio static-present but not exactly meaningful.

                  If you go towards the being with magic, that'll lead you to Gustavo. If its one of the other two, just let me know and make a Perception check and I'll tell you what you find.
                  Glamarous Goo Girl, Nora

                  While Nora is focused on making her way to the university, and so doesn't notice much else, it'd be pretty much impossible for Moira not to see the large woman leaping through the air. If nothing else, a quick glance at the buildings in front of the human catapult let her know they were heading in the same place.

                  Perception checks from the both of you and I'll tell you what you see when you arrive.
                  Gustavo, Dr. Mole

                  I'll leave this up to you two to interact for a bit and decide how things shake out.
                  Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

                    At the sound of someone speaking at him, Gustavo would spare a moment to glance back over his shoulder in person's direction, preparing for more trouble like he had encountered with the strange men with the shovels. Though the sight that greeted him would not be one he had expected at all! It only took a moment for him to pivot on his foot to place his full attention now on the large beastial creature. <"A monster! Here?"> His hands, drawn by long entrenched muscle memory, immediately went to his sides to only meet empty air as he was once more reminded of his weaponless state.

                    His eyes stared harshly at Dr Toupeira, no attempt to conceal his animosity and lack of hesitation to fight at the first movement he made. However what caught him off guard was the lack of an aggressive move or similar threatening posture. Instead, the creature was standing in what could only be described as a neutral pose. Immediately this didn't sit well. Something wasn't right. And he kept speaking as well, the dialect sounding similar to what he had heard the other men speaking.

                    <"What's your game, Mole? Do you think you will get me to let down my guard? Or perhaps you think I'm not a threat?"> Gustavo asked quizzically, tilting his head slightly as his gaze remained focused entirely upon him. <"Many monsters like you have made that mistake before.">

                    In the past when he faced inhuman creatures there was little room for friendly conversation, as he met such beasts on the field of battle. There was no quarter given or expected and he saw only his enemies, but the sight of this one standing dressed in an almost offensively human apparel and behaving in a way that flew in the face of what he expected threw him momentarily off guard.

                    Then there was also the memory that he'd need to find some kind of weapon if this did turn violent.
                    "Which is more important, duty or humanity? Duty is more important in a mans life! There's little difference between long or short, but it doesn't matter in your life!"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

                      Arc
                      Status: Winded

                      As Arc started porting from building to building, even with the light snack she had she could feel herself becoming winded. ”Okay, I know I keep saying I will but I seriously need to start working on my cardio.” she thought to herself. It was true, despite being in great shape she wished she had done more running, but why run when you can travel at the speed of electricity faster then most people can take a step.

                      She thought back to what Black Lightning used to say, ”The moment you feel like you want to give up, that’s when you know you have to push through.”

                      It was a good idea, or saying...err whatever. She knew what he meant, not right away but now she knew. In order to become better she had to break the boundaries in her mind in order to triumph, otherwise she’d always stay where she was at...not where she wanted to be.

                      So with heavy breaths she ran and kept her ports short over the roofs. Porting right before she stepped on the brick once more in order to keep her momentum, allowing her powers to move her up and down as need be when the building heights changed.

                      Acrobatics + Teleport Rank: 1D20+3 = [9]+3 = 12
                      GM Pillars Rise and Heroes Fall (OOC) (IC),Setting Notes for Pillars Fall

                      Games I'm In:
                      Emily Whittier aka Arc in Crinoverse: Tales to Astonish

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

                        perception: 1D20+10 = [10]+10 = 20

                        Bombshell

                        "Still on route, i'll evaluate the situation and keep you informed." Bombshell reported, as she drifted across the campus towards the flash of light.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

                          Rune follows the trail to the magical being, spotting him locked in conversation with... a mole-man? What? She keeps in the shadows for now, scoping them out before confronting them.

                          _: 1D20+10 = [3]+10 = 13:Stealth

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

                            Originally posted by Arthur Eld View Post
                            Glamarous Goo Girl, Nora

                            While Nora is focused on making her way to the university, and so doesn't notice much else, it'd be pretty much impossible for Moira not to see the large woman leaping through the air. If nothing else, a quick glance at the buildings in front of the human catapult let her know they were heading in the same place.
                            Moira watches the woman zip by overhead. "Seems like I should hail a cab if I don't want to be the last super to arrive." She thinks to herself as she continues to run along.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Crinoverse Tales to Astonish: #1 Ghost Town

                              Dr. Moleman
                              HP: 1
                              Status: Normal


                              Dr. Toupeira's brow furrowed as he tried to parse the words.
                              "I'm... sorry?" he said with a slight shrug, "Tu parles Français? Hablo Espagnol? Hanguguru Toguun Ashimnida?" Inwardly, he chided himself.
                              What are you going to do if he responds in one of those languages? It's not like you speak them other than what you've overheard from students... He laughed, a bit ruefully, and scratched the back of his head with one clawed hand.
                              "I'm afraid I'm being the picture of the old joke... if a person who is bilingual knows two languages and one who knows three languages is trilingual, what's someone who only knows one language? American." Realizing his joke was likely unappreciated by his audience if they didn't speak English, he considered, then pointed at the figure, mimed walking with one hand, pointed a few directions, then shrugged while raising his eyebrows.

                              "If I'm lucky, miming will work," he muttered under his breath. That's when he heard a branch snap underfoot. Despite that it should be little surprise that something be going on on a college campus, even at this time of night, some bit of instinct told him this probably wasn't Mary-Sue from Triple-Zeta trying to walk off a buzz. Attempting to look unobtrusive in the shadows of the Wall was a female in a leather jacket. The dim light was sufficient for him to pick out her shaven head and the smell of a freshly-smoked cigarette. Now, he felt the slight rumble of the ground as she shifted. Distracted as he'd been, the footsteps from her approach hadn't registered. He sighed gustily.

                              "I see you," he said, his voice, tired, "Is this your friend? Do you understand what he's saying?"


                              OOC
                              Up to Arthur Eld as to whether this bears any fruit, but I'm going to try a bare Intellect check (aided, if possible, with Eidetic Memory) for whether Leonard recognizes the language or at least what root it comes from.
                              Intellect check: 1D20+5 = [16]+5 = 21 isn't bad at all. And Perception check: 1D20+9 = [16]+9 = 25
                              will likely make him aware of Rune.[/I]
                              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

                              [b]Current games:[/b]
                              [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X