Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3E Crinoverse: Tales to Astonish (Recruitment Closed)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 3E Crinoverse: San Francisco Supers (Recruiting)

Originally posted by Kreuzritter View Post
    Wheeljack, I should remind you we kind of have a rule against using canon characters. we do however, have no such rule against hilariously blatant expies of such characters
    Is there an introductory document about things like that? I wasn't able to turn anything up (but did find references to Haruhi Suzumiya being around with a mecha, hence going with Aya).

It's not my way to do blatant expies... just bugs me a little somehow, so I'll work up someone more original. I do have a ninja/werewolf concept, though she was based on Metamorph with big, reversed caps... high attack and active defenses while human, high damage and toughness while monstered out. So I'll have to massage that to the preferred levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreuzritter View Post
      Wheeljack, I should remind you we kind of have a rule against using canon characters. we do however, have no such rule against hilariously blatant expies of such characters
      I knew something like that existed.

Of course it's up to Arthur Eld.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheeljack View Post
        Is there an introductory document about things like that? I wasn't able to turn anything up (but did find references to Haruhi Suzumiya being around with a mecha, hence going with Aya).

It's not my way to do blatant expies... just bugs me a little somehow, so I'll work up someone more original. I do have a ninja/werewolf concept, though she was based on Metamorph with big, reversed caps... high attack and active defenses while human, high damage and toughness while monstered out. So I'll have to massage that to the preferred levels.
        Think it's just something that gets brought up from time to time. And hey, don't knock expies~ Superman was just a John Carter from Mars expie, Deadpool was a Deathstroke expie, The Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles were Daredevil expies, etc etc etc.. And as for Crinoverse, one of my favorite characters I enjoyed playing Hakeshi Tanjo was just an expie for Kamen Rider 1, Takeshi Hango. XP
        "Which is more important, duty or humanity? Duty is more important in a mans life! There's little difference between long or short, but it doesn't matter in your life!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wheeljack View Post
          Haruhi has always been an NPC.

Originally posted by Mettaur2 View Post
          Think it's just something that gets brought up from time to time. And hey, don't knock expies~ Superman was just a John Carter from Mars expie, Deadpool was a Deathstroke expie, The Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles were Daredevil expies, etc etc etc.. And as for Crinoverse, one of my favorite characters I enjoyed playing Hakeshi Tanjo was just an expie for Kamen Rider 1, Takeshi Hango. XP
          Expies have always been fine (Megan, Stargirl, Novendecim...). It's outright canon characters that haven't (though it's Arthur's game, he can run it however he wants).

Comment

Originally posted by Mettaur2 View Post
            ...Superman was just a John Carter from Mars expie....
            Doc Savage, I think. Right down to having an arctic get-away. And being called the Man of Bronze.

Comment

I've allowed canon characters on one occasion before.

Since canon characters get changed all the time in the Crinoverse anyway (Captain Marvel is Harry James Potter last time I checked) I don't see a problem with it, especially if it's not a character that's already being used.
              [I]Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart![/I]

Comment

Originally posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
                Doc Savage, I think. Right down to having an arctic get-away. And being called the Man of Bronze.
                No, one of the creators is on record stating Carter was an influence, down to thinking Krypton was a larger planet than earth just as Earth is to Mars.

If you want a cool Doc Savage ersatz, look no farther than Bane.

Comment

Many would argue that Golden Age Superman is more an expy of Hugo Danner. ^_^ I mean, no alien origin story, but it's the tale of a man with superhuman strength, speed, and toughness, a Man of Steel in a World of Cardboard. Although, frankly, it did the deconstruction of the concept much, much earlier.
                  [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
                  [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
                    Many would argue that Golden Age Superman is more an expy of Hugo Danner. ^_^ I mean, no alien origin story, but it's the tale of a man with superhuman strength, speed, and toughness, a Man of Steel in a World of Cardboard. Although, frankly, it did the deconstruction of the concept much, much earlier.
                    Oooh, haven't heard of this character before. But fair enough to say, nothing wrong with taking creative cues from characters you like, and making them your own. Especially in Crinoverse, because you have so many options to tie in other concepts and no real obligation to stay 'true to the character', beyond true to what your character is.
                    "Which is more important, duty or humanity? Duty is more important in a mans life! There's little difference between long or short, but it doesn't matter in your life!"

Comment

Danner is definitely similar, but Siegel has stated John Carter was an influence. Plus really early Superman is way more fun than Hugo.

Comment

Alias: Arc

Powers: Electricity Manipulation

From the ages of 11-14 Emily slowly started to discover her latent ability to unleash electricity from within herself. For the first two years it was small, she didn't need to plug in her toothbrush or hair dryer. She more than occasionally accidentally shocked herself or others. She was okay with having a small latent power. She had done her studies at school. Lots of people had some kind of extra power. She'd specifically read about a man that could heat food up just by touching it. It was a matter of heat control. Hers was similar, she emitted a small amount of electricity and that was fine. She just always made sure to wear rubber shoes, most people didn't realize what was going on. Except for her parents. But they supported her and slowly she learned to control her minor abilities.

But when she was halfway through her seventh grade year in middle school things changed drastically. Her power increased ten fold, her 'output' as she now calls it was no longer the size of a AA battery, over the course of a few months it increased to the size of a car battery. (12 volts) That was when she started wearing gloves, it helped but her powers didn't really stop growing. This caused by her stress made her hair stand up on end. It was embarrassing, middle school for her was tough, not to mention the constant fear of accidentally electrocuting someone. It was nearly impossible to hide her secret. That she had a 'power.' That was when her parents pulled her out of public school, partially to get her out of that environment, but mostly to protect her.

So she was homeschooled in the 8th grade, this would have been fine except now her power wouldn't stop growing at all. To the point where her being home meant they had to unplug all the appliances or risk them being short circuited. She was essentially powering the entire house just by being around them. She tried meditation, she tried anything and everything but nothing helped. She had her good days and bad days. But in reality she had no idea how to control her powers.

It was on one of her good days that she and her mother and then 6 year old brother went to the mall. It was a normal thing and her mother said that she could do with some normal. Emily agreed, and the three of them went to try on some winter clothes. When she got there she was enjoying herself, until she saw some old classmates. Her brother was being awnry and this gave her old schoolmates time to harass her. She tried to ignore it, to get away. But they wouldn't leave her alone. This caused her stress to grow until she cascaded in on herself. Arcs of electricity first started forming in her fingers, reaching out and hitting the metal hangers that clothes were on. Then the lights started to explode around her. People were screaming, panicking and she was crying out for help.

Luckily help did come.

She didn't understand everything he was saying. Not at first, but the very fact that she could register a cool, calm but authoritative voice. That helped more then any words, "Focus on me, nothing else matters!" He said. She saw the sparks fly and his body was hit with her own electrical discharge. But she did what he said, and kept her entire focus on him. His name is Jefferson Pierce, a teacher at Bay City High school. Secretly he is the hero known as Black Lightning, and over the past 6 years, he has been Emily's mentor and teacher. Her parents made sure of that.

It took a year and half of working privately with Mr. Pierce, but in that time she learned to focus her powers. At first they used metal as a focus point. Then knives, soon enough she was able to recreate the blades that she had used to focus her abilities. Over time, when Emily felt she was ready, she wanted to join Black Lightning on the streets, protecting people like he did for her. That took a lot of convincing. And even then she had to practice until she had full control of her powers. She's as good as she think she will ever get. She still emits a small electrical field (which causes her hair to curl more then she would prefer. But now, now she can transform temporarily into pure electricity, jumping from one spot to the next. She can create solid electrical blades that she can use to stun and incapacitate would be criminals. She's spent most of her high school career focusing on practicing and controlling her powers that she has left some other things out the wayside. She was smart enough to pass her classes, Mr. Pierce would have been very upset if she left her studies unchecked.

What does this mean, well...she's not super social. Taking everything around her internally, she is prone to overanalyze situations, second guessing herself, or even focusing too hard on one specific detail. Her family wanted her to go to college, but she's scared to go it alone. So she had taken a year off, and now she's working towards a degree in...something...she hasn't decided and frankly isn't worried. She thinks she'll figure it out but she loves her powers now. She's in full control, there's got to be more, in her mind, then working a 8-5 desk job for the rest of her life. And for now...that's her focus. Experiencing things. She wants to break out of her shell. With Black Lightning's blessing she's been a solo hero for about a year now. Small crimes, a bank robbery and even stopped some would-be hijackers from taking out a armored truck.

She doesn't know what she wants in this world, but she knows she wants to find it.

Build:

PL 10 Power Points:150

Attributes (42)

Strength: 0
                        Stamina: 5
                        Agility: 1
                        Dexterity: 0
                        Fighting: 5
                        Intellect: 2
                        Awareness: 5
                        Presence: 3

Skills (14)
                        Deception 2 (+3) (+2*) = (+9/+7)
                        Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+2) = +10
                        Intimidation 0 (+3)
                        Investigation 4 (+2) = (+10)
                        Perception 0 (+5)
                        Persuasion 2 (+3) (+2*) = (+9/+7)
                        Insight 0 (+5)
                        Technology 1 (+2) =(+4)
                        Stealth 1 (+3) = (+5)

*Benefits of Attractive

Advantages (10)

Attractive 1
                        Evasion
                        Improved Initiative 2
                        Improved Aim
                        Interpose
                        Ranged Attack 4

Powers (65)

Superconductor
                        - Immunity 10: Electrical Descriptor
                        - Regeneration 5 (Source: External Electricity)
                        - Feature 1: Power Electrical Devices

Electro-Jaunt
                        - Teleport 2 (Accurate, Turnabout)

Electrokinesis
                        41 point Array
                        1. Arc Blade
                        - Ranged Damage 10, Linked Ranged Affliction 10: >Dazed+Vulnerable>>Stunned+Defenseless (Extra Condition, Limited Degree)
                        - Improved Critical 1 (19-20), DC 25 (Toughness Save)
                        2. Stun Blade
                        - Ranged Affliction 10: >Dazed+Stunned>>Stunned+Defenseless(Cumulative, Extra Condition, Multiattack, Limited Degree)
                        - Improved Critical 1 (19-20), DC 25 (Fortitude Save)
                        3. EMP
                        - Weaken Electronics 10 (Affects Only Objects, Broad, Simultaneous, Burst Area 1)
                        4. Blackout 10: Nullify Electronics, Broad, Burst Area 5, Concentration,
                        Simultaneous, Close Range. Flaws: Tiring, Unreliable

Super-Suit! (Removable)
                        - Protection 5
                        - Feature 1: Quick-Change

Initiative +9

Defenses (19)

Parry 10 (+10)
                        Dodge 9 (+10)
                        Toughness 0 (+5/+10)
                        Fortitude 5 (+10)
                        Will 0 (+5)

Total: 150

Brother: When she was 11 years old she discovered and hid her powers well. Her brother is several years younger and while they've talked about it he does keep his secrets. If he does have powers he might lose control just like she did soon. It's a constant worry for her and she is very over protective.

Not-So-Secret Identity: Emily doesn't wear a mask, she doesn't really have a costume and other then her curly hair still looks the same as when she was in middle school (for the most part). If she were to be in the public eye it is very probably teachers, fellow students or even adults that have been in her life will recognize her. Possibly even revealing her identity without her knowing.

Family:

Loss of Control: Emily still suffers from anxiety, if she becomes stressed (isn't performing well, life problems, etc.) she will become stressed. She has ways to deal with this, but if it goes on for too long eventually she will lose control just like she did when she was younger.

Power Loss: Water - If Arc/Emily becomes drenched (soaking wet), she will be unable to use her powers as whatever electricity she conducts outside of herself will feedback into her. However if she is soaking wet and doesn't have to use her powers (i.e. swimming for fun, taking a shower/bath) she is fine.

Overexposure: While Emily can absorb energy, she has her limits. Too much and she'll start to become a walking talking tesla coil. The only way to really stop it is to let the energy taper off. But how long that takes is hard to tell.
                        Last edited by Awfulmonk; 04-11-2018, 06:28 PM.
                        GM Pillars Rise and Heroes Fall (OOC) (IC),Setting Notes for Pillars Fall

Games I'm In:
                        Emily Whittier aka Arc in Crinoverse: Tales to Astonish

Comment

Your Weaken EMP is a tad too expensive. Still priced at 50 points.
                          [B][U]Tek's Ronin[/U]:[/B]
                          [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4238-3e-Pillars-Rise-and-Heroes-Fall-(Full)?p=212259&viewfull=1#post212259"]Hellion[/URL] [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4238-3e-Pillars-Rise-and-Heroes-Fall-(Full)?p=212260&viewfull=1#post212260"](Sheet)[/URL]

[URL="http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/"]Roll Dem Bones![/URL]

Comment

I finished updating Bobo and think i fixed the various typos and miscalculations. I went with light saber vs a weapon similar to Sun Wukong's Ruyi Bang partly because seeing Yoda fight with a light saber was amusing and partly because having the same type of weapon as his benefactor didn't seem right.
                            [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

Incidentally, are we indeed San Francisco Superheroes, or are we in Bay City? Should I modify Dr. Moleman's school to be Bay City University instead?
                              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
                              [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Technically its Bay City. And I'm actually gonna change the name when the IC starts to reflect that the team won't really be staying there, anyhow.

But I imagine anyone who lived there before it was Bay City still probably calls it San Francisco. But not Frisco, they hate that.

Comment

Working...
                                X