Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e OOC] Cosmic Privateers Ended

Recruiting ends March 31st.

I've been out of the GM game for a bit and really like the cosmic handbook, so I am thinking of running a PL12 Unlimited power point quick(month and half at most) one shot game to get my GM legs back under me. This will be a one shot with maybe another game branching off it later depending how this goes.

Background: Until his defeat, a near god like tyrant called Omega ruled the Terminus dimension devouring other dimensions into the doom coil. Those who survived either planet or creatures became residents of the Terminus. Nihilor, the planet the doom coil resides, is now a planet of death that devours even gods who dare try to access it. Still, dimensions are being devoured, albeit at a slower pace. in the power vacuum that followed, the former generals or Anihilists carved up the Terminus and make war on each other for power in addition to the other factions that existed before.

PCs: The Pc's will be the crew of the Flying Dutchman. It is a ship that has a rotating crew and is known to be a great annoyance to everyone except the Independent Alliance who provide safe harbor in return for not going after its members and doing it favors from time to time. Mechanically, the pc's can be from any place or time. The game is PL 12 with unlimited power points, but once you hit 230 is time to start questioning if it is a PL 12 concept or a higher PL one cut down to fit the caps of PL 12. I am not going to list the off limit powers, but if it seems too powerful it probably is. Each pc should have a tight concept such as Tony Starks battle suit/ genius, Hulks strength, etc so each PC can shine.

Right now, I am thinking 4 PC's, but if there is enough compelling submissions I might increase it. This game has a hard deadline of May 17th ish of ending, so it is going to go a little quicker and expose more of the stats for the players to roll for the bad guys in fighting situations to speed things up.

PC's:

The Commander: An alien Batman.
    Diamond: An energy absorbing powerhouse.
    Symbiont: Normal guy with an AI symbiote made of energy.
    Model 042 Ophyrs: A living ship.

Submissions so far:

Zynygy: Magical creature with mentalism magic.
    Eschaton: Thrill seeking teched up assassin.
    Zrux the Berserker: A living weapon soldier.
    Last edited by mrdent12; 1st May 2018, 09:20 PM.
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Re: Cosmic Privateers Interest Check

The idea of unlimited PP makes me feel nervous in a way, but I think it could work with some trust. Could be pretty fun to boot, so I suppose I can put down some interest.
    I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

Comment

Could be interesting. Unlimited PP huh?

Comment

The unlimited PP's is there so people don't have to pinch points to build a concept. I am not a fan of how 3E prices somethings and instead of listing a bunch of house rules such as impervious is like 2E, nonncombat skills are 3 skill points per pp instead of 2 skill points, and so on for a quick game unlimited PP's seems like a good compromise.
        [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by mrdent12 View Post
          The unlimited PP's is there so people don't have to pinch points to build a concept. I am not a fan of how 3E prices somethings and instead of listing a bunch of house rules such as impervious is like 2E, nonncombat skills are 3 skill points per pp instead of 2 skill points, and so on for a quick game unlimited PP's seems like a good compromise.
          Makes sense to me.

Comment

The concepts shouldn't be too powerful just because there is no PP cap. For example, immunity to all toughness saves is a bit too powerful. It can be thought of as someone who wants to play a Spiderman or Hulk like character doesn't need to worry about the pp's too much. The general idea I ascribe to is if it makes an average person think "Is this too powerful?", it probably is.

Also, I intend to try out something that worked for me in the past where I give the relevant defense stats for the lesser important NPC's such as minions so the whoever is attacking can make the defense rolls as well. So, this game will be heavy on the trust factor.

Comment

I'm interested in all supers games but I'm not familiar with "the Terminus after the fall of Omega". Can someone elaborate?

Comment

Terminus is a setting from the 2E days where basicly anything can get sucked in. Omega, basicly PL19 npc, ruled it and conquered other dimensions from it. For this game it's used as a way to allow PC's from anywhere, place, and time. Also, I am partial to the location.

Comment

I'll declare interest. I've been working on a custom Amalgam character that may be the perfect fit for this.
                  My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
                  Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

I am going to open it up for recruitment. I'll get the op updated in a bit, but goven the short duration of the game in-depth backgrounds and such aren't a big deal so long as the concept is conveyed.

Comment

Re: Cosmic Privateers Recruiting

Cool. I'mm think up something to run.

Comment

This is might be too powerful. Imagine that MAGIC itself has broken off a piece of itself and it is exploring the galaxy. The biggest issue is the missing strength score. I suppose I could just make everything Affects Normal World, but this feels simpler. If this is completely over the top, I'll make something else. I just had the idea and had to get it out. This is my first no PP limits character.

EDIT: Okay, I've dropped Insubstantial 3 to rank 1 so no more physical immunity. I've dropped some of the Abilities to be more PL12-ish. And drop over 50 pp in the process of paring down. The spell array is all mental affects now.

Zygnygy - PL 12

Strength -, Stamina 9, Agility 5, Dexterity 5, Fighting 0, Intellect 10, Awareness 10, Presence 0

Advantages
                        Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 4, Speed of Thought

Skills
                        Expertise: Cosmology 6 (+16), Expertise: Dimensions 2 (+12), Expertise: Magic 6 (+16), Expertise: Magic Beings 2 (+12), Expertise: Magic History 2 (+12), Expertise: Psychology 2 (+12), Investigation 2 (+12)

Powers
                        Alternate Form (Magic) (Activation: Free Action, Notes: Zygnygy is a being of pure magic. He appears as a hazy vaguely humanoid ghost like being.)
                        Immortality: Immortality 2 (Return after 1 week; Innate, Notes: Each time Zygnygy dies, he comes back with a different personality. His current personality believes in helping others. This is not always how he feels.)
                        Immunity: Immunity 13 (Aging, Disease, Entrapment, Environment: Vacuum, Poison, Sleep, Starvation and Thirst, Suffocation (All); Innate)
                        Impervious Defense: Impervious Toughness 12
                        Insubstantial: Insubstantial 1 (Fluid; Innate; Absent Strength, Permanent)
                        Movement: Movement 3 (Permeate 3: full speed, Notes: This is a kludgy way of allowing other to walk through Z since Z doesn't walk.)
                        Protection: Protection 3 (+3 Toughness)
                        Communication: Mental Area Communication 2 (magical, Sense Type: Magic; Area, Rapid 3, Subtle 2: undetectable)
                        Comprehend: Comprehend 9 (Animals - Speak To, Animals - Understand, Languages - Read All, Languages - Speak All, Languages - Understand All, Languages - You're Understood, Plants, Spirits - Communicate)
                        Magic
                        Illusion: Illusion 6 ([0 active, 0/36 PP, 6/r], Affects: Three Sense Types - Sight and Sound, Area: 250 cft., DC 16; Illusion Area 2, Independent)
                        Mental Blast: Damage 12 ([0 active, 0/36 PP, 3/r], DC 27; Increased Range 2: perception)
                        Mind Control: Cumulative Affliction 12 ([0 active, 0/36 PP, 3/r], 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 22; Cumulative, Increased Range: ranged)
                        Mind Reading: Cumulative Mind Reading 12 ([0 active, 0/36 PP, 3/r], DC 22; Cumulative)
                        Sleep Spell: Cumulative Affliction 12 ([0 active, 0/36 PP, 3/r], 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Prone, 3rd degree: Asleep, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 22; Cumulative, Increased Range: ranged)
                        Telekinesis: Move Object 15 ([0 active, 0/36 PP, 2/r], 800 tons)
                        Teleport: Teleport 6 (1800 feet in a move action, carrying 1600 lbs.; Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Increased Mass 5)

Offense
                        Initiative +10
                        Mental Blast: Damage 12 (DC 27)
                        Mind Control: Cumulative Affliction 12, +9 (DC Will 22)
                        Mind Reading: Cumulative Mind Reading 12 (DC Will 22)
                        Sleep Spell: Cumulative Affliction 12, +9 (DC Fort 22)
                        Telekinesis: Move Object 15, +9 (DC 25)

Complications
                        Embodiment of Magic: Zygnygy cannot hide at all from magic detection. Anyone who can detect magic can detect Zygnygy at double their normal detect magic range. Likewise, anyone with magic sense can see right through their normal concealment.
                        Enemy: Just about any magic using creature would like to turn them into a power battery. Capture is always a concern.
                        Power Loss: All spells from the MAGIC array gain DISTRACTING in "magic dead" zones. Toughness loses Impervious in "magic dead" zones.
                        Rivalry: Technological solutions make Z uncomfortable. Magic is always the best way to accomplish something. (This might not really work as a complication.)

Languages
                        The Secret Language of Magic

Defense
                        Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 9, Toughness 12, Will 15

Power Points
                        Abilities 68 + Powers 150 + Advantages 11 + Skills 11 (22 ranks) + Defenses 24 = 264
                        Last edited by jmucchiello; 25th March 2018, 07:56 PM.

Comment

The general idea is interesting. I am fine with the skills magic related being so high as well. As it is though, it is a bit powerful. For the spells, having an array is fine, but they should correspond to a theme such as spacial, time, mind, etc. For the magic form, that is also fine so long as the default form is corporeal and while in that form you can't effect the corporeal world. For the non magical skills, I have reservations with how high they are, but given the game it wouldn't be a major issue.

Comment

*looks up* Woooow. "a bit powerful" indeed.

Insubstantial 3 cuts out all physical attacks.
                            Impervious toughness 12 will makes it hard enough to damage him with the remaining possible non-magic energy attacks.
                            Not to mention a constant -2 to all attacks against him due to constant partial concealment against all senses (except tactile since he's not fully incorporeal).
                            Can dump the dynamic array into up to 30 ranks of regeneration, so any damage done will VERY quickly be removed.

There's no real way to incapacitate or really even hinder this guy. Not to say it's not a neat concept, just it has so few possible ways to even really inconvenience it, much less hurt it.
                            Last edited by EpicEclipse; 25th March 2018, 06:16 PM.

Comment

In general, while it's unlimited PPS once you hit 230 or 240 you need to ask yourself if it's a concept that can fit a pl12 type PC.

Comment

Working...
                              X