The New All-Star Squadron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e OOC] The New All-Star Squadron

Originally posted by Jessica Johnson, reporting for the Platinum City Express
    "In a press conference today, the All-Star Squadron shocked the world with the announcement that they have begun searching for notable teenage superheroes to recruit and train. When asked if this confirmed rumours that several Squadron members would soon be retiring, The Magician - the last remaining member of the original 1962-1976 team - denied any immediate retirements but admitted that several members, including himself, are considering the option, stating:

'Outside of Mech Maestro, none of us are exactly spring chickens, myself especially. None of us are going anywhere any time soon, but there are personal issues in our civilian lives that have begun to slowly pull us away from the hero lifestyle for one reason or another, and thus it is our obligation to ensure that the next generation of heroes is primed to take our place when we inevitably step down.'

Champion confirmed that they are researching teenage heroes from all over the world, and have encouraged the public to contact the Squadron on social media with noteworthy candidates. As the search begins, there is one question on everybody's mind:

Who has what it takes to become a part of The New All-Star Squadron?"
    This will be a PL 8, 120pp Hero High-style game that is Light to Greyscale in terms of tone. Your characters are teenage heroes that have drawn the attention of the All-Star Squadron (or just "The Squadron" for short) - the premier superhero team since the Silver Age - who have decided to take you under their wing and train you to become their eventual successors. The setting is your standard superhero-fare for the most part - aliens, super-suits, magic, and pretty much every other hero and villain type you can think of exists in this world.

The game will be rather episodic in nature, and will take place primarily around Platinum City - a bustling metropolis in the middle of Illinois with a higher than average superhuman population, and your characters will be attending the well-renowned "Carson Academy for Higher Learning", a private school with a large amount of superhuman students and staff, and whose curriculum includes subjects such as 'Power Control' and 'Superhuman P.E" for students who need such classes.

I'm look for around 4-6 players, with one spot reserved for RMD48, as they were the one who requested the game in the first place. Here are some other notes from the interest thread to advise you when making your character and to give you a general sense of what I'm aiming for with the game:

Originally posted by PauloDeWalshio View Post
    • PL 8, 120pp. Light to Greyscale in terms of tone.
    • Your characters have been handpicked by the Avengers/JLA equivalent team of the setting (still thinking of a name for them) because they believe that you have the potential to be great heroes, but require training and discipline to achieve that greatness. It's recommended that, as part of their backstory, your character did something high-profile enough to at least get reported on by news outlets (fighting a villain, saving people from a burning building, stopping a train crash, etc.).
    • The game will differ from the standard Hero High game (the ones I've seen at least) in that while your characters will attend a private academy that has a large amount of superhuman students, the school itself is not training you or your fellow pupils to be superheroes. Your characters are there to receive an education and a social life while the hero training will be taking place at a private facility owned by the team that has recruited you.
    • There will be four NPC teammates alongside the 4-6 PCs. In terms of archetypes, they are a Crimefighter in the vein of Robin/Nightwing, a Speedster/Energy Controller in the vein of Kid Flash and Quicksilver, a Mystic with the spellcasting ability similar to a Harry Potter character (needs both a wand and magic words to cast spells), and a Powerhouse that's pretty much The Thing. I'm not going to ban or discourage you from making those types of characters if you want to (if I feel there's too much overlap in terms of powers, I'll alter the NPCs accordingly), I just wanted to let you know that these characters will be part of the team.
    • The game is set primarily in America, but the team that recruited you was looking at candidates from all over the world, so don't be afraid to make non-American characters. If they're from a country whose native language is not English, then your character can have "Language (English)" as a free advantage.
    • I'm not going to ban any specific type of character, but extraterrestrial and otherdimensional characters are somewhat rare (you might see one or two in a large crowd, but it's not a "throw a rock and you'll hit one" type of situation), so you might want to have a complication noting that, especially if they're obviously inhuman in terms of appearance.
    • Superhumans whose powers drastically alter their appearance (similar to characters like The Thing, Beast, and Nightcrawler) are considered freaks by a large group of people and are often subjected to mockery and scorn (popular derogatory terms include "Deformeds", "Supermonsters", and "Gene Freaks"). So a character that is noticeably 'deformed' by their powers should have a complication noting that, unless there's a good reason why they wouldn't be the target of prejudice.

If you guys don't like any of those, let me know; I'm willing to change some stuff to better fit what the players want.
    Selected Players
    Last edited by PauloDeWalshio; 04-26-2018, 04:44 PM.

Re: The New All-Star Squadron (Recruting)

2e or 3e?
    The Architecturae: coming soon.|\__/|The Forever Tree:|\__/|The Forever Tree (the multiverse).\__/The Forever Tree (Earth-G).\__/Forever Tree NPCs.|\__/|The Multi-Faceted Gem: coming soon.|\__/|World-And-Maze:\__/World-and-Maze (the multiverse).

The Realms of Idrifaulo.

Comment

2e or 3e?

[I apologize if there's a double post...]
      The Architecturae: coming soon.|\__/|The Forever Tree:|\__/|The Forever Tree (the multiverse).\__/The Forever Tree (Earth-G).\__/Forever Tree NPCs.|\__/|The Multi-Faceted Gem: coming soon.|\__/|World-And-Maze:\__/World-and-Maze (the multiverse).

The Realms of Idrifaulo.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoid View Post
        2e or 3e?
        3e

Comment

Anyword on what RMD48 is likly to be archetype wise?

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
            Anyword on what RMD48 is likly to be archetype wise?
            A fire-controller of some kind I believe.

Comment

Sweet, thanks a million for coming up with this and giving me a place to get involved. Here's my character sheet:

Maung
              PL8

He kinda looks like this except with darker skin, a hoodie, and a tiger helmet/mask thingy

"Anyone order 50kg of Indonesian muscle?"

Eyes: Black
              Hair: Black
              Height: 170 cm Weight: 50kg
              Blood type: B

ABILITIES
              STR: 4 STA: 5 AGI: 2 DEX: 0
              FGT: 7 INT: 4 AWE: 4 PRE: 2

ADVANTAGES
              Contacts, Cool (Intimidation), Defensive Roll 3, Diehard; Eidetic Memory, Great Endurance, Holding Back 1, Improved Grab, Improved Smash, Instant Up, Interpose, Startle, Weapon Break, Equipment 1, Languages 2

SKILLS
              Acrobatics 4 (+6), Athletics 6 (+10), Close combat 0 (+7), Deception 0 (+2) Insight 4 (+8), Intimidation 6 (+8) Investigation 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Ranged Combat 0 (+0), Stealth 0 (+2), Technology 4 (+8)

POWERS

Pyrokinesis
              Fire Punch
              Strength-based Damage 4
              Flame Eater
              Regeneration 3 (Flaw: Source: Fire) linked to Nullify 3 (Counters: Fire Effects, Limited to Subject of Effect)
              Fireproof
              Immunity 5 (Fire Effects)
              Tiger Warrior
              Eye of the Tiger
              Senses 3 (Darkvision, Extended Vision)
              Paws of the Tiger
              Movement 2 (Safe fall, Sure-footed)
              Heir of Ambo Enre
              Mind of Ambo Enre
              Senses 4 (Uncontrolled Precognition)
              Equipment
              Leather Glove (Brass Knuckle)

Languages
              Indonesian (Native), English (Free), Korean, Chinese

Offence
              Initiative +2
              Leather Glove, +7
              Fire Punch: Strength-based Damage 4, +7
              Grab, +7
              Nullify: Nullify 3, +0
              Throw, +0
              Unarmed, +7

Defence
              Dodge 7
              Parry 8
              Fortitude 6
              Toughness 8/5 (without defensive roll)
              Will 5

Power Points
              Abilities 58 + Advantages 18 + Skills 16 + Powers 22, Defences 6= 120

Complications

Motivation: Doing Good
              He may be a former teenage deliquent, but his heart is good by nature. Not to mention that he went to an Islamic school which made him even more in touch with his good side.

Motivation: Thrills
              Maung is a thrill-seeking, fun-loving young man who likes a good fight.

Obsession
              Maung is obsessed with finding love, especially the love of a Korean celebrity. He can't resist a pretty face, especially if that face is Asian and has a nice pair of glasses on it.

Temper
              Maung is quite agressive and hot-headed. He also swears like a sailor.

Avid gamer and Koreaboo
              Reza likes trading card games, videogames and kpop a lot. He would immediately drop his bad boy attitude and become a crazy fanboy at the sight of a poster with a female kpop star on it. When the rest of the team are fighting bad guys, he might consider grabbing the Legend Rare Sorcery: The Collection card slipped under a nearby pile of rubble. You get the idea.

Background

Despite being the heir of the Bugis noble family, Reza Ramadhan has always been more of a rogue-ish hero than an aristocrat. He likes helping people and protecting the innocent, but has done some minor crimes himself. With their powers, which they accidentally discovered recently, he and his best friend became superheroes under the guise of Maung and Manux respectively. Some call him the Guardian Tiger of Bandung, especially after one fateful day. On that day, our hero was walking to his grandmother's house from school, when a small group of large spaceships appeared in the sky. Mechanical creatures began descending from the fleet and started attacking everyone. With fire in his hands, Ramadhan fought back and ultimately repelled the invasion, but lost control in the process, almost burning the whole district. Realising the danger this young fighter posed, the Indonesian government sent the special forces after him, capturing him and having him sent to trial before important government officials including the president. Luckily, a member of All-Star Squadron suddenly stepped in and asked to train the pyromancer, saving him from the punishment he would've faced if the world-remowned superhero never came.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Maung Enraged
              PL12

"Burn to ashes!"

ABILITIES
              STR: 8 STA: 6 AGI: 5 DEX: 0
              FGT: 8 INT: 0 AWE: 5 PRE: 2

ADVANTAGES
              All-out Attack, Close Attack 4, Diehard, Evasion 2, Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Improved Smash, Instant Up, Interpose, Startle, Weapon Break, Equipment 1, Languages 2

SKILLS
              Acrobatics 4 (+9), Athletics 6 (+14), Close combat 0 (+8), Deception 0 (+2) Insight 4 (+9), Intimidation 6 (+8), Perception 4 (+9), Ranged Combat 0 (+0), Stealth 0 (+5)

POWERS

Pyrokinesis
              Fire Punch
              Strength-based Damage 4
              Flame Eater
              Regeneration 5 (Flaw: Source: Fire) linked to Nullify 5 (Counters: Fire Effects, Limited to Subject of Effect)
              Fireproof
              Immunity 5 (Fire Effects)
              Flame Burst
              Burst Area 2 Damage 7
              Flame Cloak
              Protection 6
              Flight
              Flight 9
              Tiger Warrior
              Eye of the Tiger
              Senses 3 (Darkvision, Extended Vision)
              Paws of the Tiger
              Movement 2 (Safe fall, Sure-footed)
              Equipment
              Leather Glove (Brass Knuckle)

Languages
              Indonesian (Native), English (Free), Korean, Chinese

Offence
              Initiative +5
              Leather Glove, +12
              Fire Punch: Strength-based Damage 4, +12
              Grab, +12
              Nullify: Nullify 5, +0
              Throw, +0
              Unarmed, +12

Defence
              Dodge 12
              Parry 12
              Fortitude 8
              Toughness 12
              Will 7

Power Points
              Abilities 68 + Advantages 18 + Skills 12 + Powers 67, Defences 15= 180
              Last edited by RMD48; 10-07-2017, 05:59 AM.
              [IMG]https://thumbs.gfycat.com/VictoriousWateryIberianmole-size_restricted.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Sounds promising! A couple of questions:

1) Will the roleplay focus more on high school interactions and drama, or the teenagers trying to fit themselves into the adult world? Or some mix?

2) Would a teenager already skilled with his powers, but with a dark backstory and given a chance to redeem himself be an acceptable concept? (I'd want to try to use a teen variant of my character Occam.)
                My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
                Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

I think I'll go ahead and drop my own interest in this game, and I'm already going to start making my character.

Well, remake actually. She's going to be a rehash of my very first M&M character because I really like her despite her game going under. Her powerset essentially lets her turn into an alien monster, with a skill set akin to your classic scrapper.

Will you allow hero high advantages? A few of them could fit her concept really well.
                  I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

Comment

Originally posted by RMD48 View Post
                    Maung
                    At a first glance, the build seems fine mechanically (it does slightly bother me that your defenses don't reach the cap when added up, but that's more of a personal preference than anything else), but I will say that his Will and Fortitude defense seems rather low. This is a totally optional suggestion, but I would personally take a point out of Presence to bump both his Will and Fortitude up by one.

Originally posted by Rush View Post
                    1) Will the roleplay focus more on high school interactions and drama, or the teenagers trying to fit themselves into the adult world? Or some mix?
                    Most likely a mix of the two as well as the teenage heroes trying to prove themselves to their adult mentors and the world at large. Some of the roleplay will also likely focus on a rather disparate group of people working together (how much'll largely depend on what kind of PCs we get, but I can tell you right now that two of the NPC teammates are going to have some...disagreements from the word "go").

2) Would a teenager already skilled with his powers, but with a dark backstory and given a chance to redeem himself be an acceptable concept? (I'd want to try to use a teen variant of my character Occam.)
                    That sounds perfectly fine by me. I will say however, having looked at that sheet you linked, I'd ask you change Occam's "don't kill unless necessary" rule to just a straight-up "don't kill" rule if you decide to go with him. You can keep the rest of that particular complication, but the All-Star Squadron would likely not even consider you for the team if they thought you'd kill villains because you deemed it necessary.

Originally posted by Doctor Malsyn View Post
                    I think I'll go ahead and drop my own interest in this game, and I'm already going to start making my character.

Well, remake actually. She's going to be a rehash of my very first M&M character because I really like her despite her game going under. Her powerset essentially lets her turn into an alien monster, with a skill set akin to your classic scrapper.
                    Sounds fun! Trust me, I've submitted the same speedster character to, like, 4 or 5 different games since I signed up here because I like him so much.

In fact, I'm using him for this game as well because I'm the GM and there's no one to tell me I can't! Mwahahahaha!

Will you allow hero high advantages? A few of them could fit her concept really well.
                    Hero High advantages are 100% acceptable.

Comment

My gosh, I just remembered why I didn't make her for the claremont game- She was verrry similar in concept to your character biofreak, holding back advantage 'n everything. Is that still alright, or should I switch gears?

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Malsyn View Post
                        My gosh, I just remembered why I didn't make her for the claremont game- She was verrry similar in concept to your character biofreak, holding back advantage 'n everything. Is that still alright, or should I switch gears?
                        Nah, go right ahead. If I didn't like characters similar to already existing stuff, this game wouldn't exist in the first place.

Comment

Nah, go right ahead. If I didn't like characters similar to already existing stuff, this game wouldn't exist in the first place.
                          Alright then! I just felt like I should ask first, I'll get to work then. ^^

Comment

Most likely a mix of the two as well as the teenage heroes trying to prove themselves to their adult mentors and the world at large. Some of the roleplay will also likely focus on a rather disparate group of people working together (how much'll largely depend on what kind of PCs we get, but I can tell you right now that two of the NPC teammates are going to have some...disagreements from the word "go").
                            Gotcha.

That sounds perfectly fine by me. I will say however, having looked at that sheet you linked, I'd ask you change Occam's "don't kill unless necessary" rule to just a straight-up "don't kill" rule if you decide to go with him. You can keep the rest of that particular complication, but the All-Star Squadron would likely not even consider you for the team if they thought you'd kill villains because you deemed it necessary.
                            Yeah, I figured the tone would require changing that element of him. Very good.
                            My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
                            Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

Alright, I'll take a shot at this:

(With black hair and brown eyes.)

OCCAM
                              Ranged phaser looking for redemption

PL 8 (120pp)
                              Height: 5ft. 7in. Weight: 155lbs.
                              Hair: Black Eyes: Brown
                              Personality (Big 5): C:8, A:4, N:1, O:6, E:2 (scaled 1-9)

ABILITIES
                              Strength 1 (+1), Stamina 2 (+2), Agility 2 (+2), Dexterity 2 (+2)
                              Fighting 2 (+2), Intellect 1 (+1), Awareness 2 (+2), Presence 0 (+0)

ADVANTAGES
                              Chokehold, Close Attack 6, Equipment 2, Improved Hold, Quick Draw
                              Italicized Advantages are from powers

Equipment:
                              Throwing Knife (Damage +1, No Imp. Crit.) (1ep)
                              Multiples of Throwing Knife (1ep)
                              Telescopic Baton (Damage +2, Subtle) (3ep)
                              Undercover Shirt (Protection 2, Subtle) (3ep)
                              Restraints (1ep)
                              Multitool (1ep)

SKILLS
                              Acrobatics 1 (+3), Athletics 2 (+3), Close Combat: Grappling 2 (+10), Deception 4 (+4), Expertise: Espionage 3 (+4), Insight 2 (+4), Intimidation 4 (+4), Investigation 1 (+2), Perception 3 (+5), Persuasion 2 (+2), Ranged Combat: Throwing 4 (+6)*, Sleight of Hand 1 (+3), Stealth 6 (+8), Technology 1 (+2) - 36 ranks total
                              *Ranged Combat: Throwing 4 also adds to Intangible Projectiles

POWERS

Grappling Leverage (Enhanced Strength 3) - 3pp
                              Training; Limited: Grabs & Grappling Effects Only

Quick Shifts (Container) - 28pp
                              Attack Edge (Enhanced Close Attack 6) - 6pp

Combat Slippage (Enhanced Trait 14) - 14pp
                              Dodge 6, Parry 6, Defensive Roll 2

Leaping 6 - 6pp + 2pp in Alternate Effects
                              Leap 500 feet at 120mph
                              AE: Speed 6 - 1pp
                              120mph, 1800ft/rnd
                              AE: Movement 3 - 1pp
                              Safe Fall, Water Walking 2
                              Quantum Phase-Shift (Array) - 30pp + 3pp in Alternate Effects
                              Self-Shift (Insubstantial 4) - 30pp
                              Incorporeal; Vulnerable to Light Effects; Feature 2: Silent Movement, Increased Mass 6 (3200 lbs.), Precise, Subtle

Target Shift (Insubstantial 4) - 1pp
                              Incorporeal; Affects Objects Only, Attack: Will (DC 14), Perception Range, Concentration, Subtle, Feature 5: Target size several times larger than human

Intangible Projectiles (Damage 8) - 1pp
                              Ranged, Accurate, Incurable, Penetrating 4, Precise, Quirk: Must observe projectiles during impact

Intangible Weapon (Damage 6) - 1pp
                              Multiattack, Accurate, Incurable, Penetrating 4, Precise

OFFENSE
                              Initiative +2
                              Intangible Projectiles +8 (DC 23)
                              Intangible Weapon +10 (DC 21)
                              Target Shift -- (DC 14)
                              Baton +8 (DC 18)
                              Unarmed +8 (DC 16)
                              Grab +10 (DC Spec. 14)
                              Throw +6 (DC 16)
                              Throwing Knife (thrown) +6 (DC 17)
                              Throwing Knife (melee) +8 (DC 17)

DEFENSE
                              Dodge 2 (+10)
                              Parry 2 (+10)
                              Toughness (+6/4)
                              Fortitude 2 (+4)
                              Will 3 (+5)

POWER POINTS
                              Abilities 24 + Advantages 5 + Skills 18 + Powers 64 + Defenses 9 = 120

POWER SPECIFICS

Occam has the power to initiate quantum phase-shifts in matter. This causes matter to become slightly "tilted" out of phase with this universe, so that it then only weakly interacts with gravity and other matter. While appearing normal, phase-shifted matter passes right through ordinary matter; fortunately, such matter has a degree of buoyancy in normal, dense matter so that phase-shifted objects don't sink through the earth--at least, not without some momentum. The nature of this power seems somewhat linked to the mind and one's consciousness; Occam can target and phase huge objects with a mere glance, and with effort, can even target other people; but others can resist through sheer force of will (and not much seems to be required.)

Instead of targeting objects or other people with his power, he can instead target himself. Doing so grants him a much greater degree of control than projecting his power outward, such that he can phase only portions of himself if desired, and quickly. This yields several benefits, including moving nearly unhindered by gravity, allowing attacks to pass through him in the midst of combat, or simply walking up stairs and slopes while in his incorporeal state.

His main means of attack is to use his power on his weapons. In melee combat, he can phase himself and his weapon for greater accuracy, then as it intersects his target, he can release his power, for greater damage than the weapon could normally provide alone, finishing by quickly phasing the weapon again to retract it. He is fast enough to do this multiple times in a few seconds across several strikes, or as he sweeps his weapon through multiple opponents.

Finally, he can use his highly honed throwing skills to hurl one or more throwing knives (or anything slightly aerodynamic) toward a target, keeping the blades phase-shifted for greater momentum through the air, and then letting them unphase inside the target(s), to devastating effect.

BACKSTORY

Neutron: “Hey, just got here. What the heck happened?”

Rook: “Looks like some sort of deal gone bad. We got a tip that the Argon Squad was here, but there was a full firefight in progress by the time we showed up. Several metas are dead... including the two non-Squad folks. Apparently Shiver had been working with Sparx?”

Neutron: “Huh. That’s a little strange.”

Rook: “Yeah it is. An assassin and a sociopathic thief. I mean, it makes sense in a way, but normally their social spheres didn’t interact. I wonder—”

*noise from elsewhere*

*the two heroes look at each other, and step toward the noise*

Neutron: “I can take a look at—oh no. It’s... it’s a kid.”

Rook: “What?!!”

Neutron: “Yeah. A little boy, can’t be any older than six. He’s hiding behind those crates over there.”

*both heroes walk slowly toward the crates*

Rook: “Kid? Hey, little kid... come here. It’s OK, we’re not going to hurt you. Come here.”

*a shuffle of noise, than a young boy steps out from behind the crates; he seems timid, but somehow, unafraid*

Neutron: “What’s your name, kid?”

*child looks at hero*

Boy: “My name is Blake.”

Rook: “Ok, Blake. I’m Rook... you may have seen me on TV.”

Boy: *nodding* “I know who you are.”

Rook: “Good. Alright Blake, I’m a superhero, so I’m going to ask you some questions so I can help you here, OK?”

*boy nods*

Rook: “Alright, good. Blake, where are your parents? They’re not here, are they?”

*the boy nods, and the heroes glance at each other*

Neutron: “Are they in the back of the building Blake? Did someone take them?”

*the boy shakes his head, and points at the fallen bodies of Shiver and Sparx, next to each other.*

*Neutron gasps, turns and creates a wall blocking the view of the dead villains*

Rook: “... Were... were those your parents, Blake?”

*boy nods, then looks at Rook*

Boy: *without a hint of sadness* “I don’t think we can finish the mission now.”

*pause*

Boy: “I guess I won’t get my first kill.”

COMPLICATIONS

Disability: Violence Desensitization
                              Due to his upbringing, Blake has a difficult time determining when violence is deemed acceptable by society, and even evaluating what degrees are appropriate in what situation. He has also expressed frustration at how the valuation of such differs over time and from place to place. While he now strictly follows a no-kill policy, he still may engage in violence inappropriately, or go too far with it. He also occasionally can find himself going too easy on criminals due to misjudging how badly their actions are viewed. He tends to do far better with this when teammates are available to provide input.

Quirk: Oddball
                              Blake is an oddball by modern high school standards. He tends to dress in dark, functional clothing, not caring a whit for fashion or style (so he avoids looking Goth as well.) He is serious, organized and studious, yet extremely quiet and genuinely not very interested in the social scene. While he's actually not scared of social interaction, it's clear that what he thinks of as normal doesn't mesh well with most others his age. Lacking both experience and interest in traditional sports, pop culture and most extracurricular activities, he has a hard time fitting in, which can cause problems.

Motivation: Justice
                              Blake's secondary motivation is justice. Clear, unambiguous injustice angers him, particularly where the weak or innocent are concerned. He takes great satisfaction in seeing such injustices rectified.

Motivation: Acceptance & Redemption
                              Blake's primary motivation is acceptance, and redeeming himself in the eyes of the superhero community. He knows how he is viewed due to his dark past, his subsequent upbringing with "undercover missions," and the incident with a near-killing. He wishes to prove that he is a mature, stable young man, both able and willing to contribute positively to society, and to the superheroing community as well.

Power Loss: No Weapon/Projectiles
                              Occam's Intangible Projectiles and Intangible Weapon require weapons, or at least reasonable makeshift weapons, to use. He normally carries a compliment of small, dark, tasseled throwing knives that are suitable, as well as a telescopic baton, but if he runs out of blades or loses his baton, and can’t find any suitable replacements, he might find himself unable to use those powers.

Weakness: Light-Based Attacks
                              Phased matter interacts with light normally, so despite his power, Occam remains as vulnerable to light-based attacks as ever. This isn't worth a Hero Point when it counters his incorporeal Self-Shift, as it's just a part of the power, but laser blasts and the like also negate his Combat Slippage, reducing both his defenses and resistance to such attacks. Should he be forced into combat primarily with opponents wielding light attacks, the penalty might then be enough to warrant compensation.

Relationship: Brother
                              The family that Blake was placed with after being rescued by his mentor had a boy three years younger than him. He grew up with Blake as brothers, and they actually became quite close. Blake would do nearly anything to keep his brother safe.

Relationship: Mentor
                              Blake's relationship with his superhero mentor Rook is... complicated. The man did rescue him from his parents who had raised him to be an assassin, but then rather than hand him over to authorities, he hid him with relatives and trained him throughout his childhood, taking him on undercover missions once he hit his teens. And he did all this thinking he was helping the child out. Despite actually having evidence that his influence was at least somewhat positive, when this all came out (after Blake used his powers to nearly kill a burglar threatening his adoptive family,) the mentor took quite a bit of heat and wound up disgraced. Blake still maintains a relationship with the man, at Blake's own insistence, but it’s a strained one.

When Blake's history was revealed to the superhero community, it was a bit of a shock, and caused a bit of concern among them. While his hero mentor had to answer for his part in it all, the espionage and "takedown" missions Blake went on led many to wonder if his one near-killing incident was an accident, or if he has a hunger for such. Blake knows he doesn’t, but some heroes believe otherwise, and are fairly biased against him. It's to the credit of the local superhero team that they've chosen him for training and oversight, and given him a chance to redeem himself. Note that some outside the superhero community also know that he almost killed someone, but aren't privy to the details.
                              Last edited by Rush; 03-02-2018, 09:00 AM. Reason: Renamed power to Grappling Leverage; named heroes; fixed Attack Edge; changed Personality to Big 5

Comment

Working...
                              X