Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e IC] Crinoverse: Challengers of the Infinite

Chapter 0: Living on Borrowed Time

"Today, Earth takes one of its first and most important steps into the stars. Its people have long had contact with alien life, and many of its heroes have traveled the stars, but for the first time a commercial ship will be able to take humanity to other planets in other systems. Blackrock Aerospace in conjunction with Stark Enterprises have used a combination of human ingenuity and designs retrofitted from Earth's allies on Cybertron to create this historic flight."

"Today, we lucky few will be among the first people to leave our home system. And I am proud to have been chosen by the governments of Earth to board this flight in order to meet with the leaders of the Lor Republic, our neighbors among the larger galaxy."

"Other than that, while they say I may make a good speech, but I've always been a man of action, and I hate to keep you fine people waiting much longer on pageantry."

A light wave of laughter came from the crowd as President Steven Rogers gave them a wave and a friendly smile as he turned toward the immense craft.

Today, all of you will join him on this historic flight. Some for duty, some for your employers, some for your own reasons. Today, each of you steps aboard humanities doomed first step.

Re: Crinoverse: Challengers of the Infinite

Ray Jupiter - Rookie Plumber
    Hero Points: 1, Condition: Normal

It was amazing. In a way, this was Earth's first step towards fully joining the rest of the universe and becoming part of the larger galactic community. For a native earthling like Ray, it filled him with a touch of planetary pride.

He could have taken other ships to travel to his new station in the Lor Republic, afterall Plumbers had access to their own space ships, but Ray had been insistent that it would be his honor to be able to ride on Earths first commercial ship, to become a part of history.

With a smile, Ray would take a moment to look over his brand new Plumber's badge; the circular device gleamed in the sun, largely due to the way he had polished it up earlier that day with pride, it's green hourglass-esque symbol practically glowing. Peace. It meant peace, and those who were fortunate enough to carry it carried a promise with them that they would uphold and protect peace wherever they went. The happiest day of his life was when he had finally been given the badge and declared a member of that organization.

"Today, my life will be changed forever." He commented to himself as he affixed the badge to his chest and slid a pair of mirrored sunglasses over his eyes, walking on towards the ship with his head held tall.
    "Which is more important, duty or humanity? Duty is more important in a mans life! There's little difference between long or short, but it doesn't matter in your life!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mettaur2 View Post
      Hero Points: 1, Condition: Normal

"Today, my life will be changed forever." He commented to himself as he affixed the badge to his chest and slid a pair of mirrored sunglasses over his eyes, walking on towards the ship with his head held tall.
      Human. Sever spinal cord at third vertebrae. Death is immediate, she thinks as the plumber get within reach. not that Zinxia bore him any ill intent, just a trained reflex from years of living under constant threat of assassination to advance one's grade

to anyone else, she and her party are incongruous, a group of women dressed as if they stepped out of a Chinese historical drama, surrounding a Fat, balding man whose modern suit is tailored to resemble robes, which makes him look more like a pimp than the honored diplomat his credentials say he is. he's blithering about himself and the great honor, but Zinxia has tuned him out. right now, her focus is upon his safety while they are out in the open, assessing anyone who comes within 20 feet of him. her fellow 'handmaidens' are trained similar, watching for sniper nests or going over the provided itinerary, assessing what poisons could be slipped into the inflight meal

"<laugh,>" he says, realizing they aren't paying attention.

they all do. Zinxia sees people staring, and for an instant she summons her inner fire, calling flame into her hand before dismissing it as quickly.these are not assassins, merely tourists who saw a molded mask of silver change its expression. she would chide herself, were this not so important

this is her first assignment. to accompany and protect Ambassador Peng to their destination and for the duration of his meetings with the Black Sun syndicate on behalf of the Black Hand and their master the Iron Khan. where humanity takes their first step among the stars, so too shall the criminal underworld of the Iron Khanate.

another passenger in a hurry draws within range.

Klingon. Shatter the cranial exoskeleton at the tricipital lobe. Death is immediate.

Comment

Mary Martin
        HP: 1; Conditions: None

"Well that was rude," MM says. "You all saw that? Anyone else getting Apollo 1 jitters?"

She gets he own looks as she speaks into the black camera-headed tentacle coming out of one of her sleeves.

"For those of my viewers who aren't U-S-ian space program buffs, when they were testing out the Apollo 1 rocket when an electrical spark ignited nylon in the high-oxygen atmosphere they were using.

"In short: fire and space-travel don't mix. I hope someone told little Miss Trigger-Happy over there."

Then she flicks her wrist and swivels the camera around the staging area.

"Exciting, right? Except maybe not at the same time: it's not like Earthlings haven't been in space. Hashtag superheroes get to do everything first. And if you want to swap gene-juice with a hot alien one'll be by in a falling ball of fire or a UN limo any minute. Hashtag eat your heart out Kirk."

Comment

Vanguard
          Condition: Embarrassed
          HP: 1

A minute or two ago
          Far up above the launch site, the rookie hero Vanguard hovers among the clouds in a sitting position, chatting on her phone.

"Megan, you know you don't have to do this," Megan's mother stresses for what feels like the hundred thousand billionth time.

"Actually, I kinda do, Mom," she replies curtly, jokingly adding, "Trust me, you haven't seen what Miss Derrickson's like if someone bails on a story. That lady could give Omega a run for his money when she's angry."

"You know what I mean, Megan. I know you're worried about your father; I am too. But I don't want you to feel like you're obligated to try and fix it. You never wanted our kind of life, and I respected that choice. So now that you're rushing off out into space with no idea what's out there...I can't help but feel like I should be the one looking for him, so you could try to have a normal life."

Megan chuckles ruefully. "Mom, I could lift a table over my head before I had my first boyfriend, I could lap Usain Bolt before I could drive, and I could fly to Dallas whenever I wanted before I could drink. I never had a 'normal' life. This? This is just one more crazy turn in my life. 'Sides, Austin needs you. You think they'd be happy with the girl who accidentally punched a hole in a truck on her first day being the one picking up the slack? Do what you've always done best, Mom. I'll be back before you know it."

Megan's mom sighs. "All right, but Megan? When I think of your father being dead or hurt I get so scared, so I just...just not you too, ok? I can't lose both of you."

"You won't lose either of us, Mom," Megan responds, filled with determination. She checks the time on her phone and hurriedly says "I gotta go now, Mom. Love you."

"I love you to. Be safe, honey...and try not to get involved with any weird guys out there. Your father nearly had a heart attack when you brought home that Jimmy boy. Imagine how he'd feel if--"

"GottagoMombye!"

Megan quickly hangs up and cringes haaaaard.

How many times is she gonna bring that one up?!

She looks down in the vague direction of the landing pad, inhales, and then exhales.

Alright, Megan. Time to go to space. Heh, add that one to the list of things I never thought I'd say.

Vanguard rockets off in the opposite direction of the space craft, landing a few blocks away.

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
          "Other than that, while they say I may make a good speech, but I've always been a man of action, and I hate to keep you fine people waiting much longer on pageantry."
          Megan, now in civilian clothes, pushes her way through the crowd, trying to get a good view of President Rogers.

Aw c'mon, tell me I didn't miss the speech! What is super-speed even good for if you miss the President's speech?

She begins to fumble through her satchel, not even paying attention as she digs around for her camera...causing her to charge straight into the guy wearing sunglasses and a weird badge, sending at least one of them crashing to the ground and spilling the contents of Megan's bag everywhere.

"AhGodI'msorry!" Megan blurts out as she quickly gets back up and begins hurriedly throwing everything back into her satchel ever so slightly faster than humanly possible "I wasn't looking where I was going and pushing my way through people and you were in the way-- not that it's your fault! I mean it's more like I was probably in your way and..."

She stops suddenly, seeming to finally process the man's appearance. "And you're very important-looking..." she finishes, dread growing in her voice, "Craaaaaaap."

She laughs nervously. "I'm on some government's watchlist now, aren't I?"

Comment

Mary Martin
            Originally posted by PauloDeWalshio View Post
            "Well, you're on Youtube, at any rate."

MM's camera slithers back up her arm and emerges out the neck of her long-sleeved Be Yourself alien shirt.

"Or you will be, once we get back and the government edits my footage.

"And if you want President America's speech I vid-ed that."

Comment

Conservator Vhati
              HP: 1 - Staus: Normal

Vhati watched the proceedings with a placid smile on her face, applauding as Rogers concluded his spiel and headed towards the ship. Popular response to the President's speech was fairly muted, which generally meant that the Dotrae were unimpressed. Many thought that the man came across as somewhat wooden, while others considered his speech a little too perfunctory. Vhati herself thought it had been just fine, particularly for a soldier in a suit. She'd endured more then one hour-long oratory on Magna-Lor; many things could be said of the Lor, but never that they didn't like to hear themselves speak.

Although she was technically part of a modest contingent dispatched to the event by the senate, Vhati had separated herself from the diplomats who were currently exchanging pleasantries with the President. She preferred to experience this sort of thing from the ground level, get the perspectives of those that it directly affected. In this case, that meant the humans. She'd spent the afternoon milling through the crowds who'd gathered to witness the official launch. She'd eaten a hotdog, which she'd found disagreeable. She'd eaten some nachos from a disposable paper tray, which she'd found much more to her liking. She'd had a beer (or three) with a man named Owen, who'd purchased her a keychain from a nearby vendor's stand as a momento of their meeting (though she hadn't had the heart to tell him that the Dotrae hadn't used tumbler locks in almost a century). She'd spent almost half an hour chatting with a small family from a place called Texas who'd traveled for the better part of a day to be there for the historic event. They'd been as curious about her as she'd been about them, and she'd even removed her helmet when their young son had expressed doubt about her extraterrestrial origins. That had convinced him in a hurry.

Now that the ship was boarding, Vhati found herself a little sorry for it. She'd gotten just the slightest taste of human culture, and she was intrigued. They were a colourful lot, these 'backwoods' cousins, and they'd built themselves a world of possibilities. She looked forward to the opportunity for a return trip so she could explore it on her own time.

She fell in beside a young man as she headed up the ramp towards the ship, and she turned to look at him. The badge proudly displayed on his chest was unmistakable.

"A plumber," she said, a mildly surprised statement more then a question. "A human plumber at that. I'd heard you were out there, but this is the first time I've seen one in person. The Magisters aren't expecting trouble, I hope?"
              "Mom, is the Dairy Queen married to the Burger King?" - My five-year-old

The Ro Show, my collection of characters and random builds.

Comment

Originally posted by MissRo View Post
                Conservator Vhati

"A plumber," she said, a mildly surprised statement more then a question. "A human plumber at that. I'd heard you were out there, but this is the first time I've seen one in person. The Magisters aren't expecting trouble, I hope?"
                Ray's posture straightened even more at the recognition, if that could have been possible, and his smile took on a slightly embrarrased but pleased expression. " Yes Ma'am, Officer Ray Jupiter, at you're service if needed. " He declared with a nod of his head in her direction.

At her question though he would be quick to raise his hand up and quickly wave it side to side as he canted his head slightly to the side as he explained. " No no, not at all. I'm not here in an official capacity ma'am. I'm just another passenger, making my way into the Lor Republic for an assignment.

I would like to say however, that I am also hoping to spend a little time as a tourist. I understand Coruscant has some breath-taking historical architecture and art pieces."
                Ray added with a very excited tone.

Originally posted by PauloDeWalshio View Post
                Vanguard
                Aw c'mon, tell me I didn't miss the speech! What is super-speed even good for if you miss the President's speech?

She begins to fumble through her satchel, not even paying attention as she digs around for her camera...causing her to charge straight into the guy wearing sunglasses and a weird badge, sending at least one of them crashing to the ground and spilling the contents of Megan's bag everywhere.

"AhGodI'msorry!" Megan blurts out as she quickly gets back up and begins hurriedly throwing everything back into her satchel ever so slightly faster than humanly possible "I wasn't looking where I was going and pushing my way through people and you were in the way-- not that it's your fault! I mean it's more like I was probably in your way and..."

She stops suddenly, seeming to finally process the man's appearance. "And you're very important-looking..." she finishes, dread growing in her voice, "Craaaaaaap."

Ray's momentary excitement regarding alien art was broken by the sudden impact, causing him to tumble forward to the ground amidst the sudden scattering of the bags contents, as well as his sunglasses bouncing a short ways away across the ground.

" Hey, hey, hey. Calm down, take a breath. " He said with a bit of a laugh at the panicked tone, motioning with his hand for her to settle down as he slowly pushed himself up to a knee and looked towards Megan.

" First things first. Are YOU okay, Miss? " Ray asked, gesturing to her to give her a moment to asses herself. His eyes glanced down at the ground, the contents of the satchel were no longer scattered about. Okay, she was pretty fast. He was impressed.

Picking up his glasses, he stood up and brushed at his pants to knock a bit of grit and dirt off of them before reaching out with his free hand to help Megan stand up. " You're fine, just try and be a little more aware of your surroundings alright? My names Ray. And you are?"

Originally posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
                Mary Martin

MM's camera slithers back up her arm and emerges out the neck of her long-sleeved Be Yourself alien shirt.

"Or you will be, once we get back and the government edits my footage.

"And if you want President America's speech I vid-ed that."
                Ray's attention was then drawn towards Mary as he gave a bit of a weary smile towards her. " You should certainly get her permission before you upload anything onto the internet, miss. Beyond legal standings and policies, it would definitely be good manners, don't you think?"

There were certainely no shortages of people recording todays proceedings, it was a public event, though Ray would be rather impressed as he watched the movements of her camera. " Are you with any organization, miss?"
                "Which is more important, duty or humanity? Duty is more important in a mans life! There's little difference between long or short, but it doesn't matter in your life!"

Comment

Cargo holds were boring.

Like really really boring.

Like watching paint dry. Or grass grow. Or metal rust.

Generally not very fun at all.

Had her body not been in standby mode, Payback would have let out a simulated sigh at her less than stellar accommodations on this interstellar flight.
                  Granted even getting her on board like this had been a huge hassle considering that even stripped of most of its weapon modules (she missed the railgun the most) a G-ARMR series 131TCH combat robot was still a literally killing machine... even if most of her recent duties have been more akin to a service animal or care-giver to Professor William Rodriguez.

Figuring out which regulations applied to what was essentially a gun crossed with a dog for a flight with so many VIPs had been a headache for everyone involved until eventually it was decided that she'd be placed in the hold like a piece of checked luggage... or a pet in a carrier.

This was less than ideal since it meant she had to be loaded in advance and wasn't able to escort the Professor to his boarding. While he was still a brilliant man of science the professor had always been a bit absent minded when it came to things other than robotics. In his old age he'd only become moreso, getting easily confused at the most inconvenient times.

Once again bemoaning the fact that she couldn't get a seat on the actual flight, Payback hoped the Professor managed to get to his seat alright. He'd always dreamed of traveling to another world and it would be a shame if something were to prevent that.

Back to being bored, Payback went from Standby Mode to full Sleep Mode.

---------------

Meanwhile due to a chain of events, each more unlikely and farcical than the last, Professor William Rodriguez was nowhere near the launch site or his appointed seat on the historic flight.

He was in fact stuck in the back of what appeared to be a catering van which was driving away from the launch site much to his bewilderment. He activated a special device he had created and always carried on his person these days that would let his family and Payback know that he'd had another of his little mis-adventurers and would help them locate him.

Unfortunately Payback would only receive this signal AFTER the launch was already in progress. Leaving her to take this flight alone.
                  Last edited by stavaros-the-arcane; 08-08-2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Mary Martin
                    Ray's attention was then drawn towards Mary as he gave a bit of a weary smile towards her. " You should certainly get her permission before you upload anything onto the internet, miss. Beyond legal standings and policies, it would definitely be good manners, don't you think?"
                    "But then what fun would it be?"

<silent beat>

"Fine, fine: I'm joking." Mary pulls down one of her sleeves to reveal a bracer studded with plastic-protected circuitry. She presses a few spots and a card about the size of a finder-tip pops out. She hands it to Megan. "Here's your footage. If you don't want anyone to see it you can lose that."
                    There were certainely no shortages of people recording todays proceedings, it was a public event, though Ray would be rather impressed as he watched the movements of her camera. " Are you with any organization, miss?"
                    "The Internet. You've heard of us." She holds up her hand as if presenting a badge and an image appears in it. "I'm from the Baseless Conspiracy Department, Alien Division.

"No, we aren't all required to have weird hair: that's just our director."

Comment

from the corner of his eye, ray catches sunlight reflecting off a silver mask as its owner, Zinxia, watches the exchange, wary about the presence of two separate auithorities, one of which she recognized enough to amount to 'space cop'.

"<Master Peng,>" she politely whispers to her charge, "<It is not my place to remind you of the importance of our task, but I advise caution during the flight.>"

Comment

In time, you are all aboard. The four of you who have met are in the main passenger cabin, mostly near each other. Zinxia, as a bodyguard to a diplomat is in the VIP cabin with a few other luminaries like President Rogers and one of the funders of this endeavor, the CEO of Blackrock Aerospace, Garrison Blackrock.

Payback, of course, is sadly trapped in the holding bay. But you're not completely alone, there's a pair of robotic condors in a barred crate near you. "Looks like we got a canine death machine over here, says the first." "Must be man's worst friend," says the other as they both cackle. But, hey, not alone.

Shortly, the comms open up, "Good afternoon, everyone, this is your pilot speaking!" "Co-pilot, Lance." "Shut up, Hunk." And then the comms cut out.

Only to open up a few seconds later with a new voice. "Hello every, this is Captain Shirogane here. This is going to be a bit of a trip. We're going to be taking an hour leaving the Sun's gravity well, at which point we will be engaging the hyper drive. Once that happens, we'll be in hyperspace for several hours before we reach our destination. Please see the seat backs in front of you for what to do in case of an emergency. I'm going to ask everyone to please stay seating until the seatbelt lights go off once we've escaped Earth's gravity."

True to the Captain's word, and do to the fine engineer's who built the ship, the take off goes smoothly and you're soon headed out of the system.

Comment

Vanguard
                          Condition: Typing Away
                          HP: 1

Outside
                          Ray's momentary excitement regarding alien art was broken by the sudden impact, causing him to tumble forward to the ground amidst the sudden scattering of the bags contents, as well as his sunglasses bouncing a short ways away across the ground.

" Hey, hey, hey. Calm down, take a breath. " He said with a bit of a laugh at the panicked tone, motioning with his hand for her to settle down as he slowly pushed himself up to a knee and looked towards Megan.
                          Megan nods and takes a quick breath. "You're right, you're right," she replies, significantly more calm now, "Sorry about that, I can get pretty flustured, especially when I'm not in my comfort zone. And this?"

She motions towards the ship. "This is waaaay outta my comfort zone."

" First things first. Are YOU okay, Miss? " Ray asked, gesturing to her to give her a moment to asses herself. His eyes glanced down at the ground, the contents of the satchel were no longer scattered about. Okay, she was pretty fast. He was impressed.
                          She laughs at that like she's the only one in on a really funny joke. "Yeah, yeah I'm fine. Trust me, I'm a lot tougher than I look."

Picking up his glasses, he stood up and brushed at his pants to knock a bit of grit and dirt off of them before reaching out with his free hand to help Megan stand up. " You're fine, just try and be a little more aware of your surroundings alright? My names Ray. And you are?"
                          She accepts the hand up and turns it into a friendly shake. "Megan. Nice to meet you, Ray! Even if it is under embarrassing circumstances."

She looks the man over and smirks. "From the looks of you, I'm guessin' you're not here for a vacation. Same for me...kinda."

Megan turns to face the other girl. "Greeeeaaaaat..." she drones out in half-sarcasm and half-fear, her face locked in a Stepford smile.

"But then what fun would it be?"

<silent beat>

"Fine, fine: I'm joking." Mary pulls down one of her sleeves to reveal a bracer studded with plastic-protected circuitry. She presses a few spots and a card about the size of a finder-tip pops out. She hands it to Megan. "Here's your footage. If you don't want anyone to see it you can lose that."
                          Megan sighs in relief and takes the card. "Thanks for being understanding," she says to Mary, before turning to Ray and adding "And thanks for keeping my career alive; I'd probably never get a non-sports story again if this went viral."

She sticks her hand in her pocket...and crushes the SD card between her fingers.

"The Internet. You've heard of us." She holds up her hand as if presenting a badge and an image appears in it. "I'm from the Baseless Conspiracy Department, Alien Division.

"No, we aren't all required to have weird hair: that's just our director."
                          She chuckles. "You're that woman who got paraded about all those UFO conferences, right?" she asks in reply, adding "Used to run a blog about funny news before I went professional. Weird conspiracy theorists showed up a loooot. I'm both surprised and not at how many conspiracies there are about the NWO covering up aliens. Also, you ever have the urge to hit your head against a wall? Just google 'Terminus Invasion Inside Job'. Those people are...driven."

Megan checks the time on her phone and her eyes widen in realisation. "Oh right, we're boarding now, aren't we? Well, it was fun meeting you guys!"

She breaks into a light jog as she heads towards the ship.

On the ship
                          In time, you are all aboard. The four of you who have met are in the main passenger cabin, mostly near each other. Zinxia, as a bodyguard to a diplomat is in the VIP cabin with a few other luminaries like President Rogers and one of the funders of this endeavor, the CEO of Blackrock Aerospace, Garrison Blackrock.
                          Megan is surprised at how...normal the interior looked. She knows that it's a commercial ship, but still, she expected something more...Star Treky. She's even more surprised to discover that Mary is in the seat right across the row from her's and that Ray is just a row or two behind.

Huh, weird how things work out like that.

Shortly, the comms open up, "Good afternoon, everyone, this is your pilot speaking!" "Co-pilot, Lance." "Shut up, Hunk." And then the comms cut out.

Only to open up a few seconds later with a new voice. "Hello every, this is Captain Shirogane here. This is going to be a bit of a trip. We're going to be taking an hour leaving the Sun's gravity well, at which point we will be engaging the hyper drive. Once that happens, we'll be in hyperspace for several hours before we reach our destination. Please see the seat backs in front of you for what to do in case of an emergency. I'm going to ask everyone to please stay seating until the seatbelt lights go off once we've escaped Earth's gravity."

True to the Captain's word, and do to the fine engineer's who built the ship, the take off goes smoothly and you're soon headed out of the system.
                          Don't look out the window, Megan. You'll just freak yourself out. Don't look out the window, Megan. You'll just freak yourself out. Don't look out the window, Megan. You'll just freak yourself out.

Megan looks out the window for a second, before her head snaps forward. Her eyes are bulged and her face is notably paler than it was just a moment ago.

I'm in space. I. Am. In. Freakin'. Space! How the hell did Dad do this twice!?

To calm herself, Megan pulls her laptop from out of her satchel and soon begins to type furiously, noting down the conditions in the main cabin and the quality of service for her travel guide. Anyone watching her do this would easily notice that, once again, she's typing slightly faster than a normal human should be able to. Examining her laptop would show that it appears to be custom-built and that everything about it - especially the keys - appears to have been reinforced, as if whoever made it was expecting it to withstand great amounts of force.

Comment

after liftoff, Zinxia allows herself this rare pleasure, to behold the heavenly glory of the universe upon its own level, unveiled by earth's sky. it is breathtaking, especially as the ship flies past the moon, wiggling its wings at Farside city.

Zinxia looks harder at her homeworld's cloest neighbor, to see if she can find the remains of her father's old moonbase, but no such luck

then an 'a-hem' from Peng snaps her to back to the present, his facial language clear that he expects refreshment, and instead of asking the foodtaster he's directing his demand at her.

This is a test, she thinks to herself as she gets up, In the event something happens to the others. I have to be ready to accept their duty at a moment's notice.

Comment

Payback, of course, is sadly trapped in the holding bay. But you're not completely alone, there's a pair of robotic condors in a barred crate near you. "Looks like we got a canine death machine over here, says the first." "Must be man's worst friend," says the other as they both cackle. But, hey, not alone.
                              Payback's eyes light up as she goes out of sleep mode . And she groans as she notes the signal from the Professor. He missed the flight. Of course he did.

She turns her attention to the robotic condors, "Funny." She stated dryly. "so, what's your story? Carrion luggage? No, if you're down here the hold I guess you two were too wide for them to stuff you into an over-head compartment."

Comment

Working...
                              X