Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Crinoverse: Challengers of the Infinite [Recruiting]

Originally posted by Kreuzritter View Post
    The Crinoverse moves in real time, so the Adventure in question was in early 2013, just shy of 5 years ago
    Well, pure coincidence is all I can say.

Comment

that it is, thus my amazement that you got so many details right

as for setting details, here's the main setting thread (which links back to the previous version). Short version is we mostly use the Freedom City & Champions settings, albeit with everything else added in.

Major space-related events of the past that will probably be referred to by long-timers

1) Green Lanterns. based out of the Solar systems, the Crinoverse GLs are based around a mashup of GL Lore and the anime series Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan. the corps are currently based out of the planet Mogo in our Solar System

2) The Invasion. after certain major players on the cosmic scene are defeated by Earthlings, several of the galactic powers decide to form an alliance and invade Earth en masse before we humans get any ideas about conquering them. the heroes of earth ultimately drive them back

3) The Darkseid War. turns out that the Invasion was all one big distraction, meant to keep the major galactic powers noticing Darkseid setting up his own war of galactic conquest. among the worlds destroyed over the course of the war are Citadel (and the majority of the star-knights), and Magna-Lor, capital world of the Lor Republic. the Lor Senate now operates out of Deep Space Station 9 in orbit over Bajor

4) The destruction of Alderaan. attempt to create a new planetary capital of the Lor Republic doomed by the arrival of the world devouring Beast Planet (if you read/played in Emerald City knights, pretty much the collapsar sequence during the module)

5) Resurgent Sith Galactic empire. the events of the Star Wars prequels played out VERY differently in this universe, so Palpatine had to build a new empire in the wake of the Darkseid War. was written before I knew anything about Star Wars 7 and was meant to be more like the Empire seen in the SW: The Old Republic MMO, but probably does include the First Order.

Comment

Like I said before: you're not lost just because you're new.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kreuzritter;244813]

3) The Darkseid War. turns out that the Invasion was all one big distraction, meant to keep the major galactic powers noticing Darkseid setting up his own war of galactic conquest. among the worlds destroyed over the course of the war are Citadel (and the majority of the star-knights), and Magna-Lor, capital world of the Lor Republic. the Lor Senate now operates out of Deep Space Station 9 in orbit over Bajor[/url]

Also, the current head of the Lor Republic Senate is Leia Skywalker-Solo.

5) Resurgent Sith Galactic empire. the events of the Star Wars prequels played out VERY differently in this universe, so Palpatine had to build a new empire in the wake of the Darkseid War. was written before I knew anything about Star Wars 7 and was meant to be more like the Empire seen in the SW: The Old Republic MMO, but probably does include the First Order.
          Yeah, Anakin never became Vader in this time line, hence Leia having the Skywalker name.

Originally posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
          Like I said before: you're not lost just because you're new.
          Hell, most of us don't remember most of it. I mostly just use Kruez's much better memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
            Hell, most of us don't remember most of it. I mostly just use Kruez's much better memory.
            it helps that I bookmarked the old games and regularly perused the old setting threads

Comment

Paulo, if you need a reason to go to space just go with "found the symbiote in a glowing meteor that fell, presumably, from space."
              Yeah, that would've worked, but if I'm being honest I'm kinda preferring my updated Guardian build than my symbiote build; it was really similar to a character I'm already playing, which I honestly should've saw coming (hindsight's 20/20). I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being really indecisive about what I'm submitting, but I'm now certain that I'm going to submit Guardian. I'll have a build up ASAP.

Comment

So, is Max's history inadvertently not okay? I mean, regardless of whether he was apparently somewhere in the background getting brutally owned during canon stuff, he doesn't actually know/have relationships with anyone of relevance. He's currently a high school gym teacher from Montana... so he definitely doesn't have any of the Avengers on speed dial or anything like that.

Comment

Well, I have a concept in mind, but to do it right at PL 10 requires some tradeoffs. Hopefully they'll be considered appropriate:

PHOTON
                  The Living Hologram

PL 10 (150pp)
                  Personality: ESFJ ("The Consul")
                  Height: 5ft. 4in. Weight: 140lbs.
                  Hair: Black Eyes: Brown

ABILITIES
                  Strength 0 (+0), Stamina 0 (+0/None), Agility 0 (+0), Dexterity 0 (+0)
                  Fighting 0 (+0), Intellect 2 (+2), Awareness 2 (+2), Presence 0 (+0)
                  *Note that Stamina is absent when in Hologram Form

ADVANTAGES
                  Eidetic Memory, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Teamwork

SKILLS
                  Deception 1 (+1), Expertise: Economics 5 (+7), Expertise: Math 4 (+6), Expertise: Politics 2 (+4), Insight 4 (+6), Investigation 1 (+3), Perception 6 (+8), Persuasion 4 (+4), Technology 2 (+4), Treatment 1 (+3) - 30 ranks total

POWERS

Enhanced Vision (Senses 5) - 5pp
                  Infravision, Low-Light Vision, Ultravision, Analytical (Vision)

Photon Manipulation (Array) - 30pp + 5pp in AEs
                  Laser Blast (Ranged Damage 10)
                  Accurate 5, Indirect 4, Precise

AE: Blinding Flash (Affliction 10)
                  Vision Impaired, Vision Disabled, Visually Unaware, Overcome by Fortitude; Perception Range, Alternate Resistance: Dodge

AE: Controlled Flight (Flight 15)
                  64,000mph, 120 mi/rnd

AE: Holograms (Illusion 6)
                  Affects Vision, 500cft., 60 ft. wide, DC 16; Illusion Area 3

AE: Illumination (Environment 10)
                  Bright Light, 2 mile radius; Selective

AE: Microwave Burst (Weaken 10)
                  Affects Electronics, Resisted by Fortitude; Burst Area, Ranged, Subtle, Quirk: Doesn't affect shielded electronics
                  Hologram Form (Container) - 77pp
                  *Stamina is Absent - +10pp refund

Energy Integrity (Protection 12) - 6pp
                  Limited: Energy Only

Full-Spectrum Absorption (Senses 12) - 12pp
                  Detect Radiowaves 2, Detect Microwaves 2, Microscopic Vision 2 (cell-sized), Radius Vision, Vision Penetrates Concealment (X-rays, stopped by lead)

Made of Light (Insubstantial 3) - 15pp
                  Energy, Immune to Light Damage; Permanent

Not Carbon-Based (Immunity 30) - 30pp
                  Fortitude Effects

Photon Replacement (Regeneration 2) - 2pp
                  Once every 5 rounds; Persistent, Source: Bright Light

Space Flight (Movement 1) - 2pp
                  Space Travel 1: Within the solar system

Increased Speed (Enhanced Trait 16) - 16pp
                  Dodge 8, Parry 8; Permanent

Weightless (Flight 1) - 4pp
                  4mph, 60 fpr, When Incapacitated: floats motionless; Continuous, Subtle

OFFENSE
                  Initiative +4
                  Laser Blast +10 (DC 25 vs Tough)
                  Blinding Flash (Perception) (DC 20 vs Dodge)
                  Microwave Burst (DC 20 Burst) (DC 20 vs Fort.)
                  Unarmed +0 (DC 15)
                  Grab +0 (DC 10)
                  Throw +0 (DC 15)

DEFENSE
                  *Stats are when in Hologram Form
                  Dodge 0 (+8)
                  Parry 0 (+8)
                  Toughness (+12)
                  Fortitude 0 (Immune)
                  Will 6 (+8)

POWER POINTS
                  Abilities 8 + Advantages 4 + Skills 15 + Powers 117 + Defenses 6 = 150

POWER SPECIFICS

Paul's power allows him to generate and manipulate photons, even at range, and with an impressive degree of control. He can do so with photons of any wavelength in the EM spectrum, from radio waves to gamma rays. This allows him to generate laser blasts from nearly any arbitrary point in space, fashion holographic illusions, illuminate his environment, and perform a host of wavelength-specific feats. In addition, his eyes are able to detect both infrared and ultraviolet wavelengths, can precisely identify wavelengths and intensity, and can see well even in dim light.

And then there's his "Hologram Form." Somehow, possibly via some sort of quantum phase-shift, Paul is also able to transform in a flash of light into a living hologram. In this form, he resembles his human form rather well, including whatever clothes he was wearing when he transformed, all in various suitable colors of light. As a being of light, he is freed from the constraints of a physical body, is faster, and his photon control is even stronger. He also becomes able to absorb and see all wavelengths of light, anywhere around him, all at once, improving his visual acuity even further. And... he can actually fly, at light speed if desired (although he reserves that for traveling through outer space.)

The downside is that, while he is a living hologram, his body is unable to interact directly with the physical world--meaning he cannot touch objects, speak, or even use his senses of hearing or smell. In fact, even when using Photon Manipulation, he remains eerily silent, unable to generate sound at all.

COMPLICATIONS

Power Loss: Human Form
                  Paul can use Photon Manipulation while in human form, but only at half strength (and Controlled Flight is useless while solid.) When forced to use his powers without transforming to his Hologram Form, it may warrant a Hero Point.

Limitation: Reflective & Transparent Targets
                  Paul's Laser Blast uses visible-spectrum light in order to inflict damage. However, opponents/targets with a very reflective surface usually take no damage from the attack; if anything, the blast is likely to cause collateral damage after bouncing off the shiny surface. Similarly, transparent opponents/targets typically have laser blasts go right through them, only damaging whatever is behind, if anything. Either case may require that Paul stunt a different attack using a non-visible wavelength in order to affect the target.

Disability: Lack of Physical Interaction
                  While in Hologram Form, Paul cannot interact directly with most physical objects via his holographic body. This means he cannot generate sound, cannot hear, and can't even smell. He typically has to construct holograms of text to communicate with others in any detail. At times this disability may warrant a Hero Point.

Motivation: Responsibility
                  Paul has a strong sense of responsibility to do his part in making the world a better place, and once he acquired his powers, he came to realize he had a much bigger role to play.

Motivation: Doing Good
                  Paul was raised to do the right thing, even when the cost is high. This has been his motivation both for wanting to be a superhero, and for helping others in general.

BACKGROUND

Adopted as an infant, Paul grew up never knowing about his biological parents, and having no clue he was or would ever be anything other than normal. And really, he grew up with no major life issues, and had a rather average, but happy childhood and youth, with a loving family environment that instilled a sense of responsibility and a strong moral compass.

His life took a turn during college, however. Paul was always a rather "geeky" kid, and while he chose to study economics, he also had something of a layman's interest in technology. This was how he found himself with friends watching one of the school's more oddball professors performing an experiment. Unexpectedly, it went horribly wrong--the device the professor was testing exploded, the professor vanished before he could even cry out, and those watching were all bathed in a strange quantum energy for a few seconds. While the incident got the attention of the authorities, and nearly ruined the college, the students in the lab all were unharmed. All except, for some unknown reason, Paul.

He quickly discovered he could generate and control light... not a very useful talent for a budding economist, but possibly a useful power for a new superhero. However, despite finding time to practice with his abilities, studying took precedence, and it wasn't until after graduation, while on a celebratory outing with his family, that he was prompted to revisit the idea. He had finally decided to show his parents his abilities and, while attempting to push his powers, there was a flash of light, and he was suddenly a translucent floating image before them... a living hologram. After a brief panic before realizing he could change back, the family discussed his situation, coming to the (somewhat grudging) conclusion that Paul should at least examine the possibility of superheroing. After all, power implied responsibility, and that required determining how far that path might go.

Which is how Paul Swanson found himself spending a bit of time before job-hunting to go on the world's first commercial interstellar flight; to visit a few days, but also to explore what the world had to offer, and hopefully decide on a path during the journey.
                  Last edited by Rush; 28th July 2017, 12:41 PM. Reason: Added new Limitation: Reflective & Transparent Targets
                  My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
                  Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

Originally posted by tomorrowtoday View Post
                    So, is Max's history inadvertently not okay? I mean, regardless of whether he was apparently somewhere in the background getting brutally owned during canon stuff, he doesn't actually know/have relationships with anyone of relevance. He's currently a high school gym teacher from Montana... so he definitely doesn't have any of the Avengers on speed dial or anything like that.
                    no, you're good. most crinoverse PC's don't actually know any of the previous ones, and yeo wants to avoid our being able to call those guys up.

Comment

Radically changed the character, turning him into Force incarnated. Hope you like it!
                      [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Just as a note, it was pointed out to me that my character should have an absent Stamina while transformed, rather than having it at -5. Made the change to the character, along with a few other minor tweaks to balance out the points.

EDIT: Also, while reviewing the rules for an absent Ability score, I noticed that characters with no Stamina cannot use Extra Effort. Would this also be a limitation of Photon using it to stunt an Alternate Effect in this campaign, even when I would pay off the Fatigue with a Hero Point?
                        Last edited by Rush; 20th July 2017, 01:33 PM.
                        My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
                        Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

Originally posted by Evolución View Post
                          Radically changed the character, turning him into Force incarnated. Hope you like it!
                          It's fine. Though even though this is unlikely to be a codenamey game, you might what to rethink White Knight as there's a suuuuuuper racist villain with that name that's popped up in a few crinosverse games.

Originally posted by tomorrowtoday View Post
                          It's fine. Your choice if you want to link it to the actual event or just have it be coincidental. It don't mind links to past events, I actually encourage that as it makes it feel even more like a living universe. I just didn't want strong personal direct ties to existing PCs.

Originally posted by Rush View Post
                          Just as a note, it was pointed out to me that my character should have an absent Stamina while transformed, rather than having it at -5. Made the change to the character, along with a few other minor tweaks to balance out the points.

EDIT: Also, while reviewing the rules for an absent Ability score, I noticed that characters with no Stamina cannot use Extra Effort. Would this also be a limitation of Photon using it to stunt an Alternate Effect in this campaign, even when I would pay off the Fatigue with a Hero Point?
                          Honestly, I'd recommend avoiding it entirely. With insubstantial you're already not going to be affected by a lot of things. Instead of just immunity to fortitude effects you could just take immunity to disease and poison.

personally, I've always felt 0 stamina immune to fortitude was more for completely non-living things, while PCs tend to act far more like they are alive, just weird forms of life.

But that's entirely up to you.

I'd argue using the HP to pay off extra effort happens at the same time, thus hero points could still be used. PC's are supposed to rise above and hero points are supposed to represent that.

Comment

Ah I see. I Will look for a less ominous name
                            [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Honestly, I'd recommend avoiding it entirely. With insubstantial you're already not going to be affected by a lot of things. Instead of just immunity to fortitude effects you could just take immunity to disease and poison.

personally, I've always felt 0 stamina immune to fortitude was more for completely non-living things, while PCs tend to act far more like they are alive, just weird forms of life.

But that's entirely up to you.
                              Alright, understood. I know it's expensive, but if I have the option, I'd rather stick with no Stamina and Fortitude Immunity, just to keep to a single "standard" version of the build.

I'd argue using the HP to pay off extra effort happens at the same time, thus hero points could still be used. PC's are supposed to rise above and hero points are supposed to represent that.
                              That's good to know; I would have considered giving him another AE or two if he wasn't able to power stunt.

Comment

Hey all. If you're still recruiting, (which is true according to the games list) I'm interested, and I'll post something tomorrow. Otherwise, sorry to have taken your time.
                                [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/2965-AverageJoe-s-Builds-(Concept-Bank)-3-Entries-Thus-Far"]My Builds[/URL]
                                [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4164-Superhuman-Defense-Organisation-America?p=161535&viewfull=1#post161535"]Savior[/URL], SDO: America
                                [QUOTE=Emiliano Zapata][B]"Better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."[/B][/QUOTE]
                                [QUOTE=Tim McGraw][B]"I'm in a better place... Where soldiers live in peace, and angels sing Amazing Grace..."[/B][/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                                X