Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crinoverse: Challengers of the Infinite [Recruiting]

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
    Just want to call out that I really like this ability.
    I wanted an "out" on why Mary doesn't get hounded too much about her UFO phase of life. Then I figured "Hey, maybe the Arcane are so uncreative that it becomes an advantage again". Voila!
    Hmm.... I'm gonna allow it as shape shifting that allows for changing the brain to get psychic powers. With the limitations of the power set designed as "things that could be gained by changing physical form and psychic abilities"

For more magical and esoteric abilities, consider the ritualist feat and Kn: Arcane.

Would this work for you Silvercat?
    That's fine. Telepathy-like stuff is the only mental stuff I was going to do, anyway: everything else is something that could definitely be considered obviously physical (closest to the border might be fire breath or electricity generation, neither of which would have much flexibility). Plus I have the idea that her shapeshifting is always into creepy near-Lovecraft forms or none at all* and so won't be of any use as a disguise......unless we run into Lovecraftian monsters, and by then it probably still won't help.

* EDIT: I just realized this might violate some clause of the power that says it needs to be obvious. I intend for it not to have any covert-ops aspects other than gained by spending variable points on them.
    Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 6th July 2017, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolución View Post
      Not critizicing the concept or anything, simple genuine doubt. Although you can get a shape shifting wizard without variable, and at a much lower cost.
      As other regulars can attest I'm terrible with having multiple forms in any powers structure. I'm sure if you gave me phenomenal cosmic powers I'd forget about them half the time and not know what to do with them the other.

Comment

Originally posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
        As other regulars can attest I'm terrible with having multiple forms in any powers structure. I'm sure if you gave me phenomenal cosmic powers I'd forget about them half the time and not know what to do with them the other.
        Variable is the same unless you are going to come up with a different power for each situation; which is a pain in the ass (for me at least.) I prefer to look in the build the options I have already outlined and pick one than having to go over the power sections of 3e
        [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
          Yeah... I thought about mentioning that. I'd say come up with a list of powers you can refer to.

Another option would be a fairly deep array including the stuff you know you're going to use a lot and then power stunt anything else.

Or an array of alternate forms.

Mostly depends on how much book keeping you want to do.

Comment

I've done both before, and I really don't think there's any "best" way for me to do it. I'm honestly lousy at utilizing any form of power-switching or otherwise having variety; my Superhero Totem is probably the Hulk or something.

I'll think about the build. Nice thing about this character is that if I decided I wanted to go with some other idea on how to do the Grue thing I don't have to change the background or even most of the sheet.

Comment

Have the Dotrae been developed at all in this setting?
              Last edited by MissRo; 6th July 2017, 09:21 PM.
              "Mom, is the Dairy Queen married to the Burger King?" - My five-year-old

The Ro Show, my collection of characters and random builds.

Comment

This looks interesting. A couple questions:

Do you have any hard and fast rules about magic? I'm considering a character who's a brilliant academic mage using an obscure form of "magicks" that I'd be developing for him. (EDIT: Scratch this, there's already a magician proposed.)

Just to confirm, the flight to the Lor Republic is it the beginning of regular commercial travel to and from there? If so, our characters will need a reason for actually staying there for some time, and shouldn't be heading there just to pick up a package or something and then head right back to Earth, correct?
                Last edited by Rush; 7th July 2017, 09:55 AM.
                My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
                Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

So I re-thought and decided to go with a form Array and keep things to a simple three things. After all that and some stuff to allow her to do rituals I still have 7 pp left over, which I'm just going to leave banked for now in case I think of something else.

Mary Martin (UFO Girl)
                  NOTE: Meta-wise I imagine "UFO Girl" is her silly Silver Age incarnation's moniker, akin to how Jean Grey was Marvel Girl. This Mary Martin doesn't like being called it.

The Arcane are a group of Grue who deal in magic an Lovecraftian stuff. Normally they stay in their dark nebula and don't really do anything. However a few years ago, for inscrutable reasons, they decided to place a sleeper agent on Earth. They modified one of their kind to display a human form all the time and then teleported them to Earth, purpose unknown other than "be somewhere important when the time is right".

For some strange reason they teleported the sleeper into the waters in Providence bay during a Nor'easter. Thus the agent washed up on a Providence beach half-drowned and definitely made the local news. Eventually an important ufologist came forward with pictures that "proved" the wash-up was Mary Martin, who had disappeared in the 50s during unusual UFO activity. Obviously she'd been abducted by aliens! And from there theories started rolling in as to why she didn't look like she'd aged, what the aliens had been doing with/to her all these years, and why they'd dumped her back. The US government, concerned about their image if they got involved in an "abduction" case, ignored the whole thing. Other than some concerned supers coming around to make sure she wasn't a disguised alien no legitimate authority bothered.

For a year or two a confused Mary Martin was paraded around to UFO conventions and anti-conspiracy meetings while everyone waited for her to spill the details of her abduction. When she wasn't forthcoming the UFO crowd stopped being interested. But by then Mary had acquired a good tech-job and a "side business" as a social media celebrity. It was because of the latter, as well as someone hoping to cash in on the UFO abductee angle, that she was chosen as a "civilian observer" for the mission.

Complications
                  Motivation -- Fame: Mary Martin wants to be recognized for something she did herself and not just as some UFO story. It's probable that at least some of this is the sleeper agent trying to get into an important position.
                  Motivation -- Revenge: Janeway was responsible for breaking Mary Martin's camera and costing her all her good footage. Janeway will pay. Preferably with her spine.
                  Power Quirk -- Doesn't know what's happened to her: After the accident Mary's Arcane powers have activated, and she can't always figure out how to make them work.
                  Secret -- Arcane Sleeper Agent: Even Mary doesn't know she's a sleeper agent for the Cthulhu Grue.

PL 10/151 pp

Abilities
                  Str 2; Sta 2; Agl 2; Dex 2; Fgt 2; Int 2; Awe 2; Pre 2

Advantages
                  Fascinate (Deception), Improved Initiative 2, Jack-of-All-Trades, Ritualist, Skill Mastery (Technology), Taunt

Skills
                  Close Combat: Arcane Grue Shapeshifting 8 (+10)
                  Deception 6 (+8)
                  Expertise: Pop Culture 6 (+8)
                  Expertise: Magic 10 (+12)
                  Intimidation [Yig] 8 (+10)
                  Ranged Combat: Arcane Grue Shapeshifting 8 (+10)
                  Stealth 6 (+8)
                  Technology 8 (+10)

Powers
                  Arcane Grue Shapeshifting: Array 21 (42 points, AE 3) * 45 points
                  --E1: Universal Translator Telepathy: Selective Area Communication 2 [mental, 1 mile] <Linked> Comprehend 3 [understand, speak all languages, anyone can understand you](Affects Other and Self, Perception Range [communication]) <Linked> Feature 1 (audio output that mental-immune can hear [but they still can't be affected by the link]) * 32 points
                  --E2: Shadow Out of Space*: Insubstantial 4 [not vs magic, cosmic, or light powers or anything glowing](Precise); Concealment 4 [visual](Limited to areas of shadow, darkness, or smoke); Immunity 2 (suffocation); Morph 3 [humanoids] * 42 points
                  --E3: Yig**: Feature 1 (counts as Large size [but does not gain any mechanical bonuses or penalties for it]); Enhanced Skill 4 (Intimidation +8); Enhanced Strength 8; He's already got extra limbs for a snake.... Extra Limbs 9 [Improved Grab or +5 grab] <Linked> Benefit (Ambidexterity); Morph 1 [Yig]; Elongation 6 [500 ft, +6 grab bonus] * 42 points
                  Amorphous: Protection 10
                  Weirdly-Average Looks: Feature 3 (It is difficult to discern Mary's human appearance from other "white" humans and human-derived aliens, even across sex occasionally. This isn't a power: her human form is just that bland. It's not Innate because she can "turn it off" with hair-dye and accessories.)

* Kind of like this.

** Yig is the god of the Serpentmen in Lovecraftian works. His Pathfinder version is basically a buff anthropomorphic snake. I'm just using the name a shorthand and don't expect any resemblance to the god will matter.

Offense
                  Initiative +10
                  Unarmed, close +2 -- damage 17 Tgh
                  Yig Unarmed, close +10 -- damage 25 Tgh
                  Yig Grab, close +10 -- DC 21 Str (15 w/5 extra limbs only, 16 with elongation bonus only) vs Str/Dodge

Defense
                  Dodge +8 (6 points)
                  Parry +8 (6 points)
                  Fortitude +4 (2 points)
                  Toughness +12
                  Will +12 (10 points)

Abilities 32 + Advantages 7 + Skills 26 + Powers 58 + Defenses 24 = 147 pp, 3
                  Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 15th March 2018, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush View Post
                    This looks interesting. A couple questions:

Do you have any hard and fast rules about magic? I'm considering a character who's a brilliant academic mage using an obscure form of "magicks" that I'd be developing for him. (EDIT: Scratch this, there's already a magician proposed.)

Just to confirm, the flight to the Lor Republic is it the beginning of regular commercial travel to and from there? If so, our characters will need a reason for actually staying there for some time, and shouldn't be heading there just to pick up a package or something and then head right back to Earth, correct?

Nope. You just need any reason to go there. You could be catching a connecting flight. Just a reason to have been on Earth (like being born there ) and leaving there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush View Post
                      Nope. You just need any reason to go there. You could be catching a connecting flight. Just a reason to have been on Earth (like being born there ) and leaving there.
                      My character's turning right around: she's only on there because someone wanted a Twitter celebrity.

Comment

Conisidering, building a gravity manipulator hired as a sky marshall as extra security, or maybe as body guard to another character.

Would "alternate save strenght" be a +0 or +1? (Thinking of massivly increased local gravity as an affect)

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
                          Conisidering, building a gravity manipulator hired as a sky marshall as extra security, or maybe as body guard to another character.

Would "alternate save strenght" be a +0 or +1? (Thinking of massivly increased local gravity as an affect)
                          I'd likely say +1. I know gravity isn't as broken this edition, but my 2e experiences with a gravity manipulator leave me erring on the side of caution.

Comment

Has anyone submitted a Warlock (GotG) or (Marvel) Captain Marvel inspired character ? I would like an opportunity

Comment

Power Level 10 150 Points

Ray Jupiter

The Machine In Me - TheEnigmaTNG

" I am required by intergalactic law to issue you one verbal warning. If you do not understand galactic basic I am also fluent in Galactic Sign Language (GSL) "

A new graduate of the Plumbers academy, Ray Jupiter has been spending time post-graduation home on earth before reporting to assignment inside the Lor Republic as a show of friendship between the region and the Plumbers organization.

In his preteens, Ray became the victim of a criminal Alien that had illegally came to earth. He was taken by the creature to be used as a shield against a female officer of the Plumbers that had sought to bring him to justice. In the ensuing fight, Ray suffered massive injuries and probably would have been disabled for life if the officer didn't rush him to the more advanced care available through offworld medical tech.

Grateful for the womans actions, and inspired by her, he sought to one day become a plumber himself to uphold law and justice. He worked hard and studied everything he could acquire about alien worlds, even shadowing the officer who had helped him and learning the intricacies about the work of the plumbers based on what she would tell him.

In the Plumbers academy, Ray struggled to rise above the expectations of his teachers. Through events and friendships he acquired during his training, he had the already present prosthetics and implants in his body upgraded and enhanced, allowing him to become a more capable cadet and rise to meet each challenge he faced.

Motivations
                              Law & Order -- Ray seeks to uphold justice and support the law
                              Responsibility -- As a Plumber, Ray is tasked with protecting the peace of the universe and helping others
                              Recognition -- Ray desires to rise in the ranks of the Plumbers and become a Magister, he is driven to prove himself not only to those above him but to be admired by others.

Complications
                              By The Books -- Ray will seek to follow the rules and guidelines wherever possible, and prefers not to deviate outside established boundaries.
                              Enemies -- The Plumbers have a variety of enemies as well as allies who may take his membership as a challenge
                              Powered Enhancements -- Rays physical enhancements and shields run on a power source that can be drained or depleted. It recharges when not in use.

Abilities 24 pts
                              STR: 0 / 12 , STA: 2, AGL: 2 / 6, DEX: 0, FGT: 6, INT: 1, AWE: 1, PRE: 0

Skills 27 pts
                              Expertise [Art] 4 (+5), Expertise [Intergalactic Law] 9 (+10), Insight 12 (+13), Investigation 9 (+10), Persuasion 10 (+10), Technology 10 (+11)

Advantages 17 pts
                              Assesment, Chokehold, Close Attack 2, Defensive Roll 2, Fast Grab, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Interpose, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Skill Mastery [Expertise: Intergalactic Law], Teamwork

Powers 82 pts

[GEAR] Damaged Plumber Badge [Easily Removable] 5 pts
                              Universal Translator :: Comprehend (Languages) 3 [6 pts]
                              Plumber Recognition :: Enhanced Advantage [Benefit: Status(Plumber)]

Enhanced Cybernetic Implants 56
                              Super Charged Enhancements :: Enhanced STR 12
                              Super Charged Enhancements :: Enhanced AGL 4
                              Reinforced Legs & Joints :: Leaping 2
                              Reinforced Legs & Joints :: Movement 3 (Safe Fall, Sure Footed 2)
                              Health Simulator :: Enhanced Fortitude 8
                              Health Simulator :: Immunity 1 (Disease)
                              Deployable Life Support Measures :: Immunity 10 (Life Support)

True Plumbers Resolve 10
                              Unshakable Will :: Enhanced Will 9
                              Unshakable Will: Enhanced Advantages [Fearless]

Integrated Energy Shield Projectors 11 pts
                              Personal Energy Shield :: Protection 10
                              [Alternate Effect] Extended Area Energy Shield :: Create 10 [Duration: Concentration]

Combat 9
                              Initiative +13
                              Toughness: 14, Dodge: 6, Parry 6
                              Fortitude: 10, Will: 10

Grand Total:: Abilities 24 + Skills 27 + Advantages 17 + Powers 82 = 150
                              Last edited by Mettaur2; 8th July 2017, 07:11 PM.
                              "Which is more important, duty or humanity? Duty is more important in a mans life! There's little difference between long or short, but it doesn't matter in your life!"

Comment

Originally posted by Star Guard View Post
                                Has anyone submitted a Warlock (GotG) or (Marvel) Captain Marvel inspired character ? I would like an opportunity
                                Not specifically, but I do believe we've got at least one magic user.

Comment

Working...
                                X