Crinoverse: Challengers of the Infinite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crinoverse: Challengers of the Infinite [Recruiting]

Realized I haven't put my interest in - so this is me saying interested, now to go and work on the build.
    GM Pillars Rise and Heroes Fall (OOC) (IC),Setting Notes for Pillars Fall

Games I'm In:
    Emily Whittier aka Arc in Crinoverse: Tales to Astonish

Comment

Gonna try running one by you, Yeo: Arcane* sleeper agent. Asking you before building anything because I don't know, maybe you'd feel you'd have to include them or something. (There isn't much point to the concept if you don't, so if you don't want that it's another reason not to go there.)

* Magic Grue.

Comment

Originally posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
        Gonna try running one by you, Yeo: Arcane* sleeper agent. Asking you before building anything because I don't know, maybe you'd feel you'd have to include them or something. (There isn't much point to the concept if you don't, so if you don't want that it's another reason not to go there.)

* Magic Grue.
        That should work so long as you're actually planning on resisting the sleeper programming when it kicks in.

Comment

I will be submitting Sonnet

Sonic Weaver that was killed, her throat slit by a man of shadows, finds herself in a new world. With bad memories of dying on Earth she seeks to live again but this time out in the stars. Or at least to find her purpose and why she remembers dying but is clearly alive.

If you like that basic concept I'll get to work on the build.
          Last edited by Awfulmonk; 5th July 2017, 07:36 PM.
          GM Pillars Rise and Heroes Fall (OOC) (IC),Setting Notes for Pillars Fall

Games I'm In:
          Emily Whittier aka Arc in Crinoverse: Tales to Astonish

Comment

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
            That should work so long as you're actually planning on resisting the sleeper programming when it kicks in.
            Oh, yeah, totally. I mean someone much better than me could probably pull off being the Secret Evil Team-mate Until The Last Second Heel-Face Turn, but for me it's mainly a way to justify Martian Manhunter powers with a Cthulhic aesthetic.
            Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 6th July 2017, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Doing a lot of tweaking, but I'll probably be submitting a newly graduated Plumber with strength enhancing cybernetics. A by the books lawfull honorable newbie kind of character
              "Which is more important, duty or humanity? Duty is more important in a mans life! There's little difference between long or short, but it doesn't matter in your life!"

Comment

Yeoman, I have 3 ideas to run through you, to see which one appeals the most, or better fits the setting you have in mind:

1) An Ancient alien with amnesia. A life form not even remotely humanoid, but in the myriad of alien species, morphing creatures and what not, who would notice that this particular critter has not been seen in the galaxy for millions of years? He/it would have been in stasis in the depths of Earth's sea, set to awaken and colonize the earth before it had sprouted life of its own, but the spaceship malfunctioned and trapped him in his stasis chamber. Shifts in the ocean floor finally broke the chamber and it was free, but with no recollection of either his mission or his home planet. Fragmented memories would be all he has, and would tell him he had an important mission, was it to save this planet? Perhaps it would explain why he was here to begin with. To look for answers, he would have to travel to the stars, seek others of his kin, of pieces of the puzzle. The first commercial interstellar flight would be the place to start, but with nothing but his wits, it would be hard to slip into the ship. Or would it?
                Build notes: I was planning to built him as an odd alien, with tentacles and with no humanoid features. Something if not aberrant, at least strange. I would be relying on powers to emulate the alien's strange biology and features. Depending on the mood of the game it could easily turn into a "funny" or "spooky" character.

2) Mystical warrior. The strength of men has limits, but when you can control the cosmic energy flowing through every living being, tht permeates everything, then there is nothing you cannot achieve. This is what this mystical monk has managed to do, to tie the cosmos within to his will. Earth possess no other who can match his skills in hand to hand combat, so he looked to the stars, perhaps there are worthy opponents in the Lor Republic, perhaps even someone who as him, have gained true enlightening? Perhaps he would find the only thing he had yet to reach, a purpose to his great power.
                Build notes: Strong, fast, recollected (not furious, he is a monk!). Think anime super powered warriors, that appear behind you and have already attacked but you don't even notice. He wold be a "serious" type of character, honour bound and what not.

3) Former scientist, now Robot searching for answers. A brilliant mind and a robotics genius, got trapped in an accident he caused while trying to create the perfect robot. The experiment was a success, but his body was beyond recovery. The nanorobots he had created rescued his brain and formed a bond between the AI and his own mind, creating an android. The tragedy that took not only his body but the lives of many people haunt him, and the lose of his body is not his only problem. The Ai that is linked to him is slowly trying to control his actions. Would he ever regain a human body again? Could he control the AI before it controls him? the advanced civilization on the Lor Republic might hold the answer.
                Build notes: I would try my hand at a construct here, a robot with conscience. Perhaps give hima weapon array and some regeneration due to the nanobots, or perhaps immortality? Kinda like the mercury terminator. Perhaps morph. Not entirely set on that, perhaps just a plain robot and no morphing. His personality could be alternating between HK droid and human, if it fits the theme, with moments when the machine takes control, and then the human regains the reins of his new body.
                [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Hoping this is okay. Not too wedded to the build that I'd be unwilling to change it.
                  NOTE: Does not have "scans as human" on the build because that goes away due to whatever Negative Space Wedgie hits the ship.

The Arcane are a group of Grue who deal in magic an Lovecraftian stuff. Normally they stay in their dark nebula and don't really do anything. However a few years ago, for inscrutable reasons, they decided to place a sleeper agent on Earth. They modified one of their kind to display a human form all the time and then teleported them to Earth, purpose unknown other than "be somewhere important when the time is right".

For some strange reason they teleported the sleeper into the waters in Providence bay during a Nor'easter. Thus the agent washed up on a Providence beach half-drowned and definitely made the local news. Eventually an important ufologist came forward with pictures that "proved" the wash-up was Mary Martin, who had disappeared in the 50s during unusual UFO activity. Obviously she'd been abducted by aliens! And from there theories started rolling in as to why she didn't look like she'd aged, what the aliens had been doing with/to her all these years, and why they'd dumped her back. The US government, concerned about their image if they got involved in an "abduction" case, ignored the whole thing. Other than some concerned supers coming around to make sure she wasn't a disguised alien no legitimate authority bothered.

For a year or two a confused Mary Martin was paraded around to UFO conventions and anti-conspiracy meetings while everyone waited for her to spill the details of her abduction. When she wasn't forthcoming the UFO crowd stopped being interested. But by then Mary had acquired a good tech-job and a "side business" as a social media celebrity. It was because of the latter, as well as someone hoping to cash in on the UFO abductee angle, that she was chosen as a "civilian observer" for the mission.

Complications
                  Motivation -- Fame: Mary Martin wants to be recognized for something she did herself and not just as some UFO story. It's probable that at least some of this is the sleeper agent trying to get into an important position.
                  Power Quirk -- Doesn't know what's happened to her: After the accident Mary's Arcane powers have activated, and she can't always figure out how to make them work.
                  Secret -- Arcane Sleeper Agent: Even Mary doesn't know she's a sleeper agent for the Cthulhu Grue.

Abilities
                  Str 2; Sta 2; Agl 2; Dex 2; Fgt 2; Int 2; Awe 2; Pre 2

Advantages
                  Improved Initiative 2, Jack-of-All-Trades, Skill Mastery (Technology), Taunt

Skills
                  Close Combat: Arcane Grue Shapeshifting 8 (+10)
                  Deception 5 (+7)
                  Expertise: Pop Culture 6 (+8)
                  Ranged Combat: Arcane Grue Shapeshifting 8 (+10)
                  Stealth 5 (+7)
                  Technology 8 (+10)

Powers
                  Arcane Grue Shapeshifting: Variable 8 (40 points) * 58 points
                  Amorphous: Protection 10
                  Weirdly Average Looks: Feature 3 (It is difficult to discern Mary's human appearance from other "white" humans and human-derived aliens, even across sex occasionally. This isn't a power: her human form is just that bland. It's not Innate because she can "turn it off" with hair-dye and accessories.)

Example Powers:
                  --Mind Reading 9; Telepathic Translation: Comprehend 3 [languages](Affects Others and Self, Perception Area [auditory]) * 30 points
                  --Smoke Shadow: Insubstantial 4 [not vs magic or comic powers] <Linked> Concealment 4 [visual](Limited to areas of shadow, darkness, or smoke) * 24 points
                  --Webbing: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 10 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage; Hindered + Vulnerable, Defenseless + Immobilized)(Extra Condition, Limited Degree); Wall-Crawler: Movement [wall-crawling] 2 <Linked> Speed 2 [120 ft per round] * 36 points

Offense
                  Initiative +10
                  Unarmed, close +2 -- damage 17 Tgh
                  Webbing, ranged +10 -- cumulative affliction 20 Dodge vs Hindered + Vulnerable, Defenseless + Immobilized

Defense
                  Dodge +8 (6 points)
                  Parry +8 (6 points)
                  Fortitude +4 (2 points)
                  Toughness +12
                  Will +12 (10 points)

Abilities 32 + Advantages 5 + Skills 20 + Powers 71 + Defenses 24 = 150 pp

Comment

Powers
                    Arcane Grue Shapeshifting: Variable 8 (40 points) * 58 points

Example Powers:
                    --Mind Reading 9; Telepathic Translation: Comprehend 3 [languages](Affects Others and Self, Perception Area [auditory]) * 30 points
                    --Smoke Shadow: Insubstantial 4 [not vs magic or comic powers] <Linked> Concealment 4 [visual](Limited to areas of shadow, darkness, or smoke) * 24 points
                    --Webbing: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 10 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage; Hindered + Vulnerable, Defenseless + Immobilized)(Extra Condition, Limited Degree); Wall-Crawler: Movement [wall-crawling] 2 <Linked> Speed 2 [120 ft per round] * 36 points
                    Are such ample uses of variable allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by Evolución View Post
                      I don't know, and I somewhat suspect not. But I'd rather have to change it than not try at all.

Comment

well we are talking a race of shapeshifting wizards, here

Comment

Originally posted by Awfulmonk View Post
                          I will be submitting Sonnet

Sonic Weaver that was killed, her throat slit by a man of shadows, finds herself in a new world. With bad memories of dying on Earth she seeks to live again but this time out in the stars. Or at least to find her purpose and why she remembers dying but is clearly alive.

If you like that basic concept I'll get to work on the build.
                          Go for it.

Originally posted by Mettaur2 View Post
                          Doing a lot of tweaking, but I'll probably be submitting a newly graduated Plumber with strength enhancing cybernetics. A by the books lawfull honorable newbie kind of character
                          Ditto. Go for it.

2) Mystical warrior. The strength of men has limits, but when you can control the cosmic energy flowing through every living being, tht permeates everything, then there is nothing you cannot achieve. This is what this mystical monk has managed to do, to tie the cosmos within to his will. Earth possess no other who can match his skills in hand to hand combat, so he looked to the stars, perhaps there are worthy opponents in the Lor Republic, perhaps even someone who as him, have gained true enlightening? Perhaps he would find the only thing he had yet to reach, a purpose to his great power.
                          Build notes: Strong, fast, recollected (not furious, he is a monk!). Think anime super powered warriors, that appear behind you and have already attacked but you don't even notice. He wold be a "serious" type of character, honour bound and what not.

3) Former scientist, now Robot searching for answers. A brilliant mind and a robotics genius, got trapped in an accident he caused while trying to create the perfect robot. The experiment was a success, but his body was beyond recovery. The nanorobots he had created rescued his brain and formed a bond between the AI and his own mind, creating an android. The tragedy that took not only his body but the lives of many people haunt him, and the lose of his body is not his only problem. The Ai that is linked to him is slowly trying to control his actions. Would he ever regain a human body again? Could he control the AI before it controls him? the advanced civilization on the Lor Republic might hold the answer.
                          Build notes: I would try my hand at a construct here, a robot with conscience. Perhaps give hima weapon array and some regeneration due to the nanobots, or perhaps immortality? Kinda like the mercury terminator. Perhaps morph. Not entirely set on that, perhaps just a plain robot and no morphing. His personality could be alternating between HK droid and human, if it fits the theme, with moments when the machine takes control, and then the human regains the reins of his new body.
                          I'd say of the three, one of these two. Which has the greater chance of getting in I'd say depends on what else we've got going in terms of general "martial artist" and "Royal Smart Person" archtypes.

Comment

I don't know, and I somewhat suspect not. But I'd rather have to change it than not try at all.
                            Honestly, I like him. Really cool idea with the shapeshifter sleeper agent. Out of curiosity, what are you going for with the Variable? Does he transform into different creatures and copy them, or mimics their abilities only, or something else I didn't think of?

Comment

Weirdly Average Looks: Feature 3 (It is difficult to discern Mary's human appearance from other "white" humans and human-derived aliens, even across sex occasionally. This isn't a power: her human form is just that bland. It's not Innate because she can "turn it off" with hair-dye and accessories.)
                              Just want to call out that I really like this ability.

Originally posted by Kreuzritter View Post
                              Hmm.... I'm gonna allow it as shape shifting that allows for changing the brain to get psychic powers. With the limitations of the power set designed as "things that could be gained by changing physical form and psychic abilities"

For more magical and esoteric abilities, consider the ritualist feat and Kn: Arcane.

Would this work for you Silvercat?

Comment

Originally posted by Kreuzritter View Post
                                Not critizicing the concept or anything, simple genuine doubt. Although you can get a shape shifting wizard without variable, and at a much lower cost.

Comment

Working...
                                X