Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

The Silver City Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [Recruiting till Fri 12th at noon, 3e] The Silver City Storm

Yeah, that would be cool.

And edited! I'll add the background to that post when it's done, if I can.
    Last edited by rainbowdragon; 11th May 2017, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
      At some point someone needs to run a game with a ridiculous number of points, or even the Unlimited Points option, to let people make the crazy expensive characters they've always dreamed of.
      Ysariel has done it once or twice, for example, Extreme Unction.
      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
      [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Do to some scheduling problems I'm extending the deadline till Fri 12th May 7 PM CST.

Comment

Re: [Recruiting till Fri 12th 7PM CST, 3e] The Silver City Storm

I've come down with something. I'll get working on that background when I've had some sleep.

Comment

Hi everybody this is my first post. I have a couple questions for the GM. I was thinking of submitting a blaster type hero but I having a few problems arranging his powers.

First let me tell you half the reason I like rpg's is because of the dice. With that in mind I want to arrange my blaster with 8 different "forms"

Form 1.base: normal hero mode
            description: basic brick frame with short range blast

Form 2.

base: Fire Hazard lasts (1d8 rounds)

description: basic charge up mode: fire dmg added to melee attacks and range of blast increased

action cost to activate: move

Form(3) + Form (2) = special: Giant Size Human torch mode

action cost to activate: full round

Form 3.

base: superhero pose mode lasts (1d6 rounds)

description: increased durability & cheap blast achieved through catching enemy bullets and throwing it back at them on fire

action cost to activate: full round

Form(2) + Form (3) = special Fire wings mode

description: flight + higher PL blast

action cost to activate: move

Form(4) + form (3) special #2: Phoenix form

description: Flight + healing & buffing

action cost: full round

4. Base: Huge Fire Elemental lasts (1d4 rounds)

description: Giant ball of fire uncontrolled by my hero. think the hulk with fire powers

action cost: cannot be summoned like the others. can only be achieved through my hero failing a toughness save, basically spilling blood and since he is supposed to tank that shouldn't happen to often

form(2)+form(3)+ form (4) = special: Dragon form

description: more Asian looking dragon with snake like body

action cost: move

basically I want 4 main forms which can be combined with each other to form more. the kick is that my hero doesn't control the duration he stays in each form. That is determined by the dice, which the GM rolls in secret.

my question is what is the most efficient way to handle multiple forms power point wise?

Comment

Well, the best way to handle multiple forms is generally Alternate Forms, which is just bundling the powers together, then using an Alternate Effect to switch. Using the template of Activation, where changing the action to switch (but not to maintain) is a Quirk, you might be able to put on an Uncontrolled Quirk for the forms such that he can't control how long he can maintain them. Of course, that's not generally going to allow you to do "all the powers at once", but that's pretty much by design. You might be able to simulate it using Dynamic Alternate Effects.

Before going into too much detail, how familiar are you with the system?

[url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

I'm not a good GM for trying experimental builds on. I don't want to roll dice for you any more than absolutely necessary. Nor do I want to be responsible for keeping track of your power durations in addition to all the other things I'm going to be keeping track of. What you're proposing sounds wildly complicated. You should pick something simpler for this game and propose your experiment to the people in the Mutants & Masterminds Rules forum.

A character with multiple fire forms would be fine: you just build each power set individually, then select one to be "main" and make the others Alternate Effects of that one.
                Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 12th May 2017, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Alright I'm trying a new concept, and I hope I got the math right

The Ref
                  Real Name Mark Ellis

Abilities (36)
                  STR 4 AGI 4 FIT 4 AWA 2
                  STA 4 DEX 0 INT 0 PRE 0

Powers :

"Referee Jersey" (Flaws: Removable) [8]
                  "Sliding Over Land" Speed 4 (30 mph) (4)
                  Protection 4 (4)
                  "Cannot Be Grabbed" Immunity 5 (Ensarement Effects) (5)
                  -- (14 points)

"Portal Creation"
                  Teleport 10 (Feats: Change Direction, Turnabout) (Extras: Accurate, Attack, Portal)

AP: "Portal Punch"Ranged Damage 4 (8 pts), Accurate 3 (3 pts), Indirect (1pt), Improved Critical (1pt),Extended Range 4 (Short Range is 1600 ft, Medium Range is 3200 ft, and Long Range is 6400 ft (over a Mile) for 17 points (still fits into a Rank 10 Teleport Array).

AP: "Port Attacks" Deflect All Attacks 10 (Feats: Indirect) (Extras: Reflection)
                  AP: Dimensional Travel 2 (Neutral zone)
                  Power Feats: Precise Shot [1]

-- (65 points)

"Blow the Whistle" (Flaws: easily removable)
                  Nullify Magic 5(mystism) (Feats: Area, Effortless) 15
                  AP: "The gods of balance bestow" Enhanced STR +6, Enhanced STA +6 (12)
                  AP: Blast 5 (sonic descriptor)
                  --17 points

Advantages (3)
                  fast grab, improved grab, improved hold

Skills (11/22)
                  close combat: unarmed +4
                  insight +4
                  intimidation +8
                  perception +6

Defenses (14)
                  TOU +10 DODGE +8 FORT +10 PARRY +8 WILL +8

Portal Punch: Ranged Damage 4, +16 to hit, DC 19. A tidy PL10 power with a Critical Range of 19-20, and a Short Range that should cover as far as you need to reach.

Complications

The Combatant Mortal enemy, a alien who hunts down users of magical artifacts

Didn't sign up for this Mark is a unwilling hero he simply was in the wrong place at the wrong time and is now in possession of a magic jersey which teleports him to the nearest crime or cosmic battle.

Background Mark Ellis was a standout college wrestler, who couldn't make the Olympics, and so became a subpar mma fighter. Who struggled to pay his bills. So he worked part-time at sports museum.

One fateful night the place was robbed, and in the middle of a shoot- out Mark ended up in possession of a magic jersey, and was soon teleported to a land were he received a magic whistle and the bare minimum instructions on how to use it.

Everytime mark tries to remove to jersey it shows up in his wardbrobe, and whenever a major crime or anything that the "ref" jersey finds interesting mark finds himself teleported in the middle of it with only a whistle and zebra shirt.

Total
                  abilities 36 + powers 96 + advantages 3 + skills 11/22 + defenses 14 = 160
                  Last edited by uncanny1; 12th May 2017, 04:09 PM. Reason: changed portal punch

Comment

Originally posted by uncanny1 View Post
                    "Portal Creation"
                    Teleport 10 (Feats: Change Direction, Easy, Turnabout) (Extras: Accurate, Attack, Portal)
                    Easy isn't a Feat now: it's a +1pp/rank extra.

It's probably also a good idea going forward to indicate that your Attack is +1 pp/rank so you can use it on yourself as well as others.
                    AP: "Portal Punch" Strike +0 (Feats: Mighty, Improved Critical, Indirect, Accurate 3) (Extras: Range- Perception +2)
                    Mighty is no longer needed in 3e.

Also you don't need Accurate on a Perception Range attack: there's no attack roll for it to modify.
                    Nullify Magic 5 (Feats: Area, Broad, Effortless) 15
                    Those aren't Feats: those are +1 pp/rank extras. This power would cost 4 pp/rank so you'd need 20 pp for 5 ranks.

Comment

• Re: [Recruiting till Fri 12th 7PM CST, 3e] The Silver City Storm

My original idea ended up falling through, so here's my backup:

The Tech Master - PL 10

Armour art from here

Strength 8/0, Stamina 0, Agility 0, Dexterity -2, Fighting 2, Intellect 8, Awareness 5, Presence 2

Advantages
                      Accurate Attack, Benefit: Wealth 5 (billionaire), Eidetic Memory, Equipment 18, Fascinate (Persuasion), Inventor, Leadership, Power Attack, Skill Mastery: Technology, Takedown 2

Skills
                      Close Combat: Unarmed 10 (+12), Expertise: Science 4 (+12), Insight 1 (+6), Investigation 2 (+10), Perception 3 (+8), Persuasion 4 (+6), Ranged Combat: Concussive Laser Cannon 10 (+8), Technology 7 (+15), Treatment 2 (+10), Vehicles 7 (+5)

Powers
                      Cybernetic Armour (Removable)
                      . . Automatic Reflexes: Enhanced Trait 14 (Traits: Dodge +8 (+8), Parry +6 (+8))
                      . . Hypersteel: Protection 12 (+12 Toughness; Innate)
                      . . Jet Boots: Flight 4 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round)
                      . . Quick Change: Feature 1
                      . . Sensors: Senses 8 (Analytical (Type): Visual, Danger Sense: Visual, Darkvision, Distance Sense, Radio, Time Sense)
                      . . Weapons Array
                      . . . . Concussive Laser Cannon: Damage 12 (DC 27; Increased Range: ranged)
                      . . . . Servo Motors: Enhanced Strength 8 (+8 STR)
                      . . . . Sonic Boom Blast: Cone Area Damage 10 (DC 25; Cone Area: 60 feet cone, DC 20)
                      Quick-Thinker: Quickness 4 (Perform routine tasks in -4 time ranks; Limited to One Type: Mental Tasks)

Equipment
                      Gears Manor, The Technojet

Offense
                      Initiative +0
                      Concussive Laser Cannon: Damage 12, +8 (DC 27)
                      Grab, +2 (DC Spec 18)
                      Sonic Boom Blast: Cone Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
                      Throw, -2 (DC 23)
                      Unarmed, +12 (DC 23)

Background
                      Johnathan Gears was the only child of Alexander and Margaret Gears, two of the wealthiest individuals in 1940's America. Johnathan was a spoiled child, handed whatever he wanted on a silver platter, but his parents were always rather distant to him, always more focused on their status amongst the other upper-classmen. He was mainly raised by the many butlers and maids employed by his parents, though even they always had an air of desperation and fear of punishment about them. As a result, Johnathan became something of a delinquent in his teenage years, despite his excellent grades and aptitude for learning, and would regularly sneak out at night to cause trouble on the streets of Silver City. He was never caught, in part thanks to some generous donations to the Silver City Police Department, and so absolutely revelled in the fun he could have without a care in the world. However, he soon found that fun stripped away from him when his parents died in a car accident when he was just 18. Johnathan was saddened by their passing, but he was used to not having them around by this point. What really made him despair was the sudden responsibility to continue the family name and uphold its reputation. Johnathan couldn't even walk in even slightly impoverished areas of Silver City without causing a ruckus amongst the other wealthy and powerful people his mother and father would half-heartedly call 'friends'. Johnathan hated it but had little choice but to comply. He stuck his head down and invested his parent's money into forming his own company - Gear Tech.

Gear Tech became wildly successful, massively improving the technology the common man used in his day to day life (phones, TVs, cars, etc.) and even scoring a few contracts with the military. Johnathan didn't much care for it, only using at as a means to secure his future while he pursued his true passion - mayhem. But Johnathan was going to do it on a completely different level now. He wasn't just going to be a normal man vandalising property and stealing from stores; no, he was going to be a supervillain. And so, in the mid-1960's, The Tech Master appeared on the scene. The Tech Master used a variety of highly advanced gadgetry - including a rather clunky but powerful suit of hi-tech armour - to steal prototypes from technology companies (except, oddly enough, Gear Tech), kidnap and ransom influential people, and occasionally just straight-up pick fights with superheroes. It didn't take long for people to figure out that The Tech Master was Johnathan Gears (Johnathan made very little attempt to throw people off his trail), but thanks to his almost literal army of lawyers (it really pays to be a billionaire) he always ended up getting off scot-free for his crimes. This went on for nearly a decade before Johnathan unceremoniously retired from supervillainy, citing boredom and a desire to "actually get to enjoy my damn money", according to one interview.

Johnathan was regularly investigated by superheroes for another decade afterwards, being checked to ensure he really was serious about his retirement, before he soon fell out of the public consciousness (though not the public's memory). However, a few months ago he suddenly reemerged...as a superhero. When asked why by the news he simply shrugged and said "Eh, I was bored and wanted to try something new", which anyone who knew anything about Johnathan quickly accepted as the truth.

However, that was a lie. About a year ago, Johnathan had been investigating a way to build sleeker power armour with an improved energy source, hoping to patent and sell it to other corporations who wanted to keep supervillains at bay. He found his power source from an old supervillain friend - a small cosmic stone that could power machinery for years on end. Johnathan had been investigating how to replicate the stone's power using a variety of methods, one of which included exposing the stone to radiation. The stone reacted violently to the exposure, absorbing it before exploding it outwards, which damaged John's protective clothing and exposed him to it as well. A short while after that, Johnathan was diagnosed with terminal cancer that was quickly spreading through his body. With a short amount of time to live, Johnathan began to consider his past actions and found that he actually regretted a lot from his supervillain days, even if he was one of the tamer villains of the time. He knew he wasn't going to be able to make up for all, but dammit, he was going to make up for as much of it as he could! And so, Johnathan quickly designed and produced a new suit of armour - using the stone as a battery for it - as well as digging an old Technojet out of storage and remodelling large sections of his manor to work as a headquarters of sorts, and has now emerged as the new and improved Tech Master. He's the hero nobody wants, but they're going to get him anyway!

Complications
                      Honour: Johnathan never goes back on his word. He might've been a supervillain, but he's not a liar!

Motivation - Redemption: He'd never admit it, but Johnathan wants to redeem himself for his actions during the Silver Age.

Public Identity: Johnathan never really made an attempt to hide his identity.

Reputation: While Johnathan's exploits were extremely tame even compared to other Silver Age villains, he was still a villain. The general public is not going to forget that anytime soon.

Secret: Though Johnathan claims that his turn to heroism is out of simple boredom, the real reason is that he is dying and wants to make the most of the short amount of time he has left.

Languages
                      Native Language

Defense
                      Dodge 8/0, Parry 8/2, Fortitude 8, Toughness 12, Will 12

Power Points
                      Abilities 30 + Powers 58 + Advantages 32 + Skills 25 (50 ranks) + Defenses 15 = 160

--------------------

Gears Manor - PL 10

Toughness 10, Size Huge

Features:
                      Communications, Computer, Hangar, Infirmary, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Power System, Security System 1, Workshop

Power Points
                      Abilities 3 + Powers 0 + Advantages 0 + Features 10 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 2 + Equipment 0 (0 ep) + Weapons & Armor 0 (0 ep) = 15

--------------------

The Technojet - PL 10

Strength 12, Defense 8, Toughness 15, Size Gargantuan

Features:
                      Alarm 1, Hidden Compartments 2, Navigation System 1, Remote Control

Powers
                      Flight: Flight 12 (Speed: 2000 miles/hour, 4 miles/round)
                      Laser Cannons: Damage 8 (DC 23; Accurate 7: +14, Increased Range: ranged)
                      Mini Bar: Feature 1

Offense
                      Laser Cannons: Damage 8, +12 (DC 23)

Power Points
                      Abilities 3 + Powers 48 + Advantages 0 + Features 5 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 18 + Equipment 0 (0 ep) + Weapons & Armor 0 (0 ep) = 74

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
                      Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is 2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
                      Last edited by PauloDeWalshio; 13th May 2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Re: [Recruiting till Fri 12th at noon, 3e] The Silver City Storm

@Fuzzyboots: Just noticed:
                        Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
                        Zzzzt - PL 12
                        Power Points
                        Abilities 26 + Powers 113 + Advantages 1 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 3 = 180
                        Needs to be brought down 20 pp and 2 PLs.
                        Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 12th May 2017, 11:44 AM.

Comment

@PauloDeWalshio:
                          Originally posted by PauloDeWalshio View Post
                          . . Quick Change: Feature 1
                          What are you thinking this does?

Comment

@PauloDeWalshio:

What are you thinking this does?
                            I was just thinking that it'd let him get in and out of the suit quickly. Kinda like this (4:40-4:46, in case I didn't link that properly):

Comment

• Re: [Recruiting till Fri 12th at noon, 3e] The Silver City Storm

@Fuzzyboots: Just noticed:

Needs to be brought down 20 pp and 2 PLs.
                              It's a typo which I will fix. I already removed those PP and PL.

Comment

Originally posted by PauloDeWalshio View Post
                                I was just thinking that it'd let him get in and out of the suit quickly. Kinda like this....
                                Okay.

If this were a longer game I might be a little afraid that would defeat some amount of the Removable drawback.

Comment

Working...
                                X