Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Struggle: Forge City (OOC Thread - Positions Filled)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power Struggle: Forge City (Recruiting)

-Looks quite sheepish-
    ...oops. Fixed.
    Last edited by Vynn; 07-07-2014, 04:54 PM.
    -Love is like a Rhino, short-sighted and hasty; if it cannot find a way, it will make a way.

-Flavor text "Crash of Rhinos"

Comment

Originally posted by Vynn View Post
      I think that goes to show the "Why use Variable in an Array when Variable IS an Array" like Tony was suggesting.
      I know. That's the thing that you "technically" can do, but don't usually do. I like to think of having Arrays within Arrays as nesting in programs. Have a loop that contains an if-then clause. That if-then leads you to a second loop within the first which has it's own if-then clause. Sure, it's not the best way of doing things, but it compiles and runs properly...

Comment

I'm a bit late to the party, but I appreciate you guys keeping the lights on for me. Here is my entry; Dragon Fist.

Dragon Fist - PL 10

Strength 3, Stamina 4, Agility 5, Dexterity 2, Fighting 11, Intellect 0, Awareness 6, Presence 0

Advantages
        Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Improved Critical 4: Raging Dragon, Improved Critical 4: Rapid Strikes, Improved Critical 4: Unarmed, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Languages 1, Luck (Improve Roll), Move-by Action, Power Attack, Skill Mastery: Acrobatics, Takedown, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
        Acrobatics 10 (+15), Athletics 3 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 5 (+16), Perception 2 (+8)

Powers
        Athletic: Leaping 2 (Leap 30 feet at 8 miles/hour; Acrobatics Check Required)
        Awakened Senses
        . . Ajna Chakra: Senses 7 (chi, Accurate: Detect Chi, Acute: Detect Chi, Danger Sense: Mental, Detect: Chi 2: ranged, Radius: Detect Chi)
        . . Blind Fighting: Senses 2 (Accurate: Hearing)
        Chi Mastery
        . . Chi Healing: Healing 10 (chi)
        . . Immortal Chi: Senses 2 (chi, Postcognition (Limited): Previous Dragon Fists)
        . . Iron Shirt: Immunity 20 (Very Common Descriptor: Bludgeoning; Sustained)
        . . Paralyzing Palm: Affliction 11 (1st degree: Dazed, Impaired, 2nd degree: Stunned, Disabled, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 21; Extra Condition; Inaccurate: -2)
        . . Raging Dragon: Strength-based Damage 8 (DC 26, Advantages: Improved Critical 4; Penetrating 6; Inaccurate: -2, Unreliable (5 uses))
        . . River of Chi: Variable 2 (Check Required: DC 15 - Postcognition(Perception), Limited: Skills and Advantages)
        . . Shadowless Speed (Advantages: Move-by Action, Takedown)
        . . . . Rapid Strikes: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 20, Advantages: Improved Critical 4; Multiattack)
        . . . . Sprinting: Speed 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)

Offense
        Initiative +9
        Grab, +11 (DC Spec 13)
        Paralyzing Palm: Affliction 11, +9 (DC Fort 21)
        Raging Dragon: Strength-based Damage 8, +9 (DC 26)
        Rapid Strikes: Strength-based Damage 2, +11 (DC 20)
        Throw, +2 (DC 18)
        Unarmed, +16 (DC 18)

Complications
        Enemy: Dragon Fist's ultimate goal is to find and redeem his brother Kanglong, now known as the Asura. Tienlong knows that this is unlikely, and that he may be forced to kill his brother to protect the Valley of the Immortals and the Pearl of Light. This knowledge weighs heavily on his mind.
        Honor: Dragon Fist follows a strict code of honor that he will not violate even at the cost of his own safety. This code forbids him from lying, stealing, or taking advantage of another's weakness. In addition he must always help those in need, and will not use his full power in combat unless absolutely necessary.
        Power Loss: The Raging Dragon technique focuses a massive amount of Dragon Fist's chi into a single blow, which can rapidly drain his reserves. Attempting to use the Raging Dragon more than five times without taking time to recover his chi leaves Dragon Fist exhausted and unable to use any of the powers in his 'Chi Mastery' array until he has a chance to rest.
        Quirk: Despite his great training in the martial arts, Dragon Fist is still unaccustomed to the outside world. Simple things like money are still foreign concepts to him, causing many misunderstandings.

Languages
        Chinese (Mandarin), English

Defense
        Dodge 13, Parry 13, Fortitude 9, Toughness 7/4, Will 11

Power Points
        Abilities 62 + Powers 37 + Advantages 22 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 151
        Last edited by Nevius; 02-04-2015, 10:14 AM.
        Eppur si muove

Current Characters
        Gauss - Twin Forks Defenders
        Starstorm - Established Heroes Shape the Multiverse
        Dragon Fist - Power Struggle

Comment

A word of note, Nevius: Immunity to Pain is a 5 rank Immunity, not 1. Otherwise, cool character. Limited, but cool.

Comment

Originally posted by kenmadragon View Post
            A word of note, Nevius: Immunity to Pain is a 5 rank Immunity, not 1. Otherwise, cool character. Limited, but cool.
            Interesting. I've seen it stated as Rank 1, but that's mostly coming from a game I play on roll20 and so I admittedly don't have much to base it on. Is it considered a Common Descriptor, then?

Thanks for the tip though. I might ditch the Pain Immunity and pay some more points into his skills.

And as for being limited, I prefer to think of it as "specialized" But yeah, I've been wanting to play a martial artist character for some time now, so I figured this was as good a time as any.
            Eppur si muove

Current Characters

Comment

"Pain" is one of those descriptors that can come from a lot of places. I mean, imagine being immune to pain. You can endure a great deal of physical punishment and not stop fighting. You could keep pushing yourself till exhaustion and not stop till you pass out. The possibilities are incredible and as common as various damage descriptors.

And I've created Martial Artist characters. They're tough to make, and very specialized. Not much else to them besides being able to fight. Darn effective though, but anything besides combat will stone wall them.

Comment

I'll take it as roleplay challenge to be a bit more useful than just for fighting and healing. That said, every group needs a healer.

One thing I do find amusing is that if we're just going off the ranks and measures for Fighting ability, Dragon Fist is only the third best fighter in the group after Revenant and Eagle.
                Eppur si muove

Current Characters

Comment

Revenant has two ranks of the Close Attack Advantage as well. Eagle doesn't. That and Revenant has incredible stealth skills. Even better in the darkness where his costume gives him camouflage. He also has both ranks of Takedown - none of the rest have that second rank. Well Informed lets him have the training to "know stuff people aren't supposed to know". And let's not forget to mention the arsenal at his disposal...

All I'm missing are the Eidetic Memory advantage, the Inventor Advantage, and enough points for a hide out and more ranks in Vehicles. Then he will probably be ready to consider himself a fully trained "Revenant".
                  Last edited by kenmadragon; 07-07-2014, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Yep, seems like a pretty well rounded skill-monkey. And you can get away with murder using equipment points and devices.

I'll have to see how it all pans out when the game gets rolling, but I'm interested to see how combat goes when I'm scoring a crit on anything higher than a 15 :P

I'll likely ditch Dragon Fist's immunity to pain, though I'd like to see Articulate_Tony's take on it. It's really more fluff than anything else, as mechanically it doesn't change much. Toughness checks, fatigue effects etc would all work the same, Dragon Fist just wouldn't "feel" it. Almost like the Insidious modifier was in effect for everything affecting him. That being said, it's largely fluff and I might be able to put that point to better use taking the 2nd level of Takedown. Or I can just buy it when some new PP become available. I tend to worry less about power-building (though it does have its perks) and more on RP, especially in PbP.
                    Eppur si muove

Current Characters

Comment

Originally posted by kenmadragon View Post
                      I know. That's the thing that you "technically" can do, but don't usually do. I like to think of having Arrays within Arrays as nesting in programs. Have a loop that contains an if-then clause. That if-then leads you to a second loop within the first which has it's own if-then clause. Sure, it's not the best way of doing things, but it compiles and runs properly...
                      Nested arrays are broken as hell. Used properly, they're like a cheaper and insanely more complicated variable. I once made a nested array that gave me like a thousand points (Ok probably only several hundred, but still..) worth of powers in a 69pp array. Just to prove I could.
                      And no, I will not show it to anybody.

The moral of the story is : If you're going to use nested arrays, just use a variable. It's simpler and feels less.. cheap.
                      Last edited by Jemal; 07-08-2014, 12:37 AM.

Comment

PS, compiled a list of currently submitted character sheets:

Jemal: Avant Guard - Psychic mutant (Teleport/TK/Telepathy)
                        Nevius: Dragon Fist - Martial Artist
                        Cosmic Hunter: Turbo - Speedy Energy Controller
                        Crazyivan777: Signal - Electricity Controller
                        Vynn: Eagle - Caped Crusader
                        Weyrd: Pharaoh - Mummy mage (Spidermanish)
                        Arkrite: Thunderer - Lightning God
                        ShadowbourneN'sekt - Insectile Shifter
                        Kenmadragon: The Revenant - Caped Crusader

Moira?: Aphrodite - Goddess of Beauty

Comment

I hope I'm not riding you guys too much. I'll try to have something for Damaris/Aphrodite cooked up soon.

Comment

Detonator was captured when the Seven, a group of specialized criminals bent on making the greatest robberies of all time attempted to rob the World's biggest gold reserves and failed. Most of the other members have been released, leaving Detonator to rot in prison for them all. Volatile as the explosives he used, his temper has gotten into too many fights in prison, although he has shown he is able to blow more things than just a fuse; he is a trained and expert in martial combat after all.
                            But one grows tired of being in prison, even if there's so much fights to pick. Being abandoned by your team mates generates a constant influx of vengeance also. It was then that he decided to volunteer for an exchange: some sort of "freedom" in exchange for his services. He would be an agent of certain obscure government agency against meta human menaces, responding to orders and in general serving as pair of eyes to keep tabs on the meta human population. As part of the deal, Detonator got a nice wrist bomb, set to blew him in tiny bits if he would resort to his old ways.

Name: Detonator Height 1,7 mts
                            Skin: Pale Weight 70 kg
                            Hair: Black Shape Human
                            Eyes: Black Age: 34 years

Complications
                            Wirst bomb : Kablooey when acts like a bad boy
                            Likes a good fire : Distracted by roaring fires
                            Colateral damage : Yeah, not really into that
                            Enemies : The Seven (or Six now?) are not pleased that one of them is running errands for the government.

Abilities ( 72 pp)
                            Strength 6 , Stamina 5 , Agility 5 , Dexterity 1 , Fighting 10 , Intellect 4 , Awareness 5 , Precence 0 .

Powers ( 29 pp)
                            - Kablooey ( Device : Removable (saves 7 pp) ) · 29 point/s
                            - Frag grenade ( Blast 10 : Area burst ) · 0 point/s
                            - Paralytic poison grenade ( Affliction 10 : 1: Dazed 2: Stunned 3: Paralyzed. Fort. Cloud area, Increased range, Secondary effect, Limited (Organic, breathing creatures) ) · 0 point/s
                            - Fear gas grenade ( Affliction 10 : 1: Vulnerable, impaired 2: Disabled, Defenseless. Will. Extra condition, Limited degree, Cloud area, Increased range, Secondary effect, Limited (Organic, breathing creatures) ) · 0 point/s
                            - Plastic explosives ( Blast 15 : Penetrating 15, Activation 2, Accurate 2, Distracting ) · 0 point/s
                            - Molotov grenade ( Blast 10 : Area Burst, Secondary effect, Distracting ) · 0 point/s
                            - Narcotic gas grenade ( Sleep 10 : Area Cloud, Secondary effect, Limited (Organic, breathing creatures) ) · 0 point/s

Advantages ( 17 pp)
                            All out attack 1 , Diehard 1 , Close attack 1 , Improved aim 1 , Fearless 1 , Hide in plain sight 1 , Improved tools 1 , Equipment 2 , Improvised weapon 4 , Instant up 1 , Jack of all trades 1 , Power attack 1 , Trance 1.

Skills ( 16 pp)
                            Acrobatics 4 (+ 9 ), Deception 0 (+ 0 ), Athletics 0 (+ 6 ), Expertise( Explosives ) 8 (+ 13 ), Insight 4 (+ 9 ), Treatment 0 (+ 4 ), Persuacion 0 (+ 0 ), Technology 0 (+ 4 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 1 ), Perception 6 (+ 11 ), Intimidation 0 (+ 0 ), Investigation 0 (+ 4 ), Stealth 10 (+ 15 ).

Offence
                            Initiative: 5
                            Frag grenade + Burst area Attack for DC: 25 Range: Ranged area ( )
                            Paralytic poison grenade + Burst area Attack for DC: 20 vs Fort. Range: Ranged area ( )
                            Fear gas grenade + Burst area Attack for DC: 20 vs Will Range: Ranged area ( )
                            Plastic explosives + 5 Attack for DC: 30 Range: Ranged ( )
                            Molotov grenade + Burst area Attack for DC: 25 Range: Ranged area ( )
                            Narcotic gas grenade + Burst area Attack for DC: 20 vs Fort. Range: Ranged area ( )

Defence ( 17 pp)
                            Parry: Rank ( 1 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 11
                            Dodge: Rank ( 6 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 11
                            Toughness: Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 4 )= 9
                            Fortitude: Rank ( 5 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10
                            Will: Rank ( 5 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10

Equipment
                            Knife 2 ep
                            Sword 4 ep
                            Bulletproof vest 3 ep
                            Gas mask 1 ep
                            Last edited by Evolución; 07-08-2014, 10:04 AM.
                            [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

A gas mask might be a good addition to Detonator, so he can't fall victim to his own gas style grenades.

Comment

Originally posted by Jemal View Post
                                Nested arrays are broken as hell. Used properly, they're like a cheaper and insanely more complicated variable. I once made a nested array that gave me like a thousand points (Ok probably only several hundred, but still..) worth of powers in a 69pp array. Just to prove I could.
                                And no, I will not show it to anybody.

The moral of the story is : If you're going to use nested arrays, just use a variable. It's simpler and feels less.. cheap.
                                Pretty much. Only time I ever really tried to use a nested array was to mix up Area shapes on one of my past character designs. I was building this pyrokinetic martial artist (I was watching Avatar reruns at the time) and didn't have the points to really flesh out the entire array of fire powers. 22 point base (Multiattack Blast 7 with Accurate), and I spent 1 point to get the Line Area Damage 10 alternate effect. Then I figured I'd simply throw in Variable Shape 2 (ripped from Variable Descriptor) to alter the Area shape to Cone Area or Burst Area whenever I felt like. Not really all too bad, as all the nesting changed was the Area type, though it's still a pretty cheap thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X