Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

(3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 6 - The Invasion Begins

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Awfulmonk
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 6 - The Invasion Begins

    Jaguar

    The sound of your breathing and the padded footsteps is all you hear, echoed through the stairwell as you head up the 67 floors. Your enhanced endurance means by the time you reach the top you are simply winded. No strike that, the thought of wings and defying gravity sounded really good by the time you hit your destination. Your com is not receiving any answer and part of that worries you. Someone should have answered, only two possibilities...they are out of range or they are not receiving your coms. Both of which would be almost impossible. As you reach the rooftop you see the large zeppelin like flying object. It looked like something out of an old movie. But modern. You're not a savant when it comes to technology but even you can tell that this thing is highly advanced. It didn't run on a gas but rather a large half-dome underneath it was keeping it afloat, speaking of defying gravity.

    From this height you even see the name of the vessel. Legionnaire 4 Great, there was at least 3 other of these things. One thing at a time, you take a few steps back, Waiting for the large vessel to fly close enough you know you can make it. With one final push you feel yourself put the last of your strength into the jump, flying through the air...no not flying...leaping.

    In a split second of panic you feel you misjudged the distance, you weren't going to make it and your last day on earth would have ended with you splattered on the ground like a pastry. Then your claws touch metal, and you hear the grind and see the shocks as your claws connect and hold you in place. You made it, and despite the wind roaring through you, you were steady. Climbing up the side you don't see any windows, nor do you see any entrances. No doors, no panels. This thing couldn't just be a big floating metal balloon could it? Finally you reach the top.

    Once there your suspicion nullified. On top of the 'zeppelin' is a ladder entrance. Two poles sticking up out of the metal. Approaching it you see no opening, until one simply appears. A small swoosh sound like what you would hear from an old star trek episode is heard as it opens. Airtight, perhaps?

    Hellion

    The sound of explosions could be heard in the distance...was that? Those were missiles. Air to Surface to be exact. As you climb you also hear the sound of machine gun fire. Short bursts but you could hear the fire. Finally reaching the top you see the the large war planes climbing. Of course they would...they came in low and fast. But they weren't far enough away from you. As you press your feet into the stone, you accidentally cause the floor to crack and as it leaves the surface you feel it break under you as the pressure of your jump causes the roofs integrity to falter. But this doesn't leave you at a disadvantage. Soaring through the air, you find the two warbirds have already spotted you. Machine gun fire rains down from them aiming towards you, however you are too fast and too small a target for them to hit you. You manage to land on the plane, feeling the jolt of your impact cause the plane to lurch and momentarily the pilot must have lost control as you feel a dip. Its too large for it to try and lose you, it would break apart. However a moment later a large collection of rockets are fired into the city.

    Your roll was so good I'll let you decide where you land. Wing? Underbelly? Anything is game except in front of the cockpit or inside.
    Samantha Truth

    Quickly your pilot opens the coms, "Estamos llegando para un aterrizaje, en nuestra marca hacemos nuestro movimiento." then she turns places both hands on the steering column, navigating the vehicle with intense focus. In English she begins to countdown, "Landing in 5...4...3...2...1..." at the 5 she begins emergency maneuvers, dodging a hail of fire from the ground while she begins her descent, on 4 you realize she is landing in between the swat officers and the purple cloud, using her own vehicle as as shield. At the count of three the doors on the opposite side open up, allowing you to exit the vehicle without entering the firefight. On 2 a rapid descent begins as she swoops the vehicle in and on 1 you hear the clunk of metal on metal and the sound of heavy hail outside your door. However her focus was so intense she did not realize you had already left the vehicle. "That would have been nice to know..." she thinks to herself, it would have changed her entrance plan. The men...robots...soldiers, whatever they are were so focused on this vehicle that they never saw you. Giving you the perfect opportunity to let them know just how screwed they were.

    You are tied for first initiative, so here's what's going to happen. Everyone's attacking the enemy, and the enemy is attacking the everyone. if you weren't there they would have been dead in 5 rounds. Your allies I mean. Now that you are, depending on how this goes, be as creative as you want with your spells and magic. The more creative the more likely you not only save whoever is left but also you'll be more likely to find the relics that were stolen. Oh also since you rolled a perception I will give you this...now that you're closer you realize that this purple cloud is magical in nature. In fact it is very similar in color to the cloud you use to teleport large groups of people across a great distance.
    Justicia

    With a burst of speed you charge towards the darkness surrounding the building. Your speed and strength are nearly stopped but as you put your shoulder into it and force your way through you are able to break through the barrier. As you breach the darkness on the other side there is a mirrored surface surrounding station, the other side must be the darkness. The Police station looked the same, but now it was reflected a million times over by this concave mirror. In the center was a man, driven to his knees his hands outstretched. His palms and face were sweaty and the muscles in his back shaking with an intensity. Just a few feet away was a purple smoke, you could tell by the look of it this barrier was preventing its expansion. Like a gas in a container it wanted to flow outward, you could feel the energy it was putting off. The force of the smoke pushing you outward.

    The man in front of you looks like the opposite of a threat, in fact even by your eyes you wouldn't doubt to confuse him with a tourist...if he was in Hawaii or the Caribbean. You would not call him albino, but you would say by his skin that he is very close, the white hair he has just a few shades lighter than his actual skin. He wears a red Hawaiian shirt with blue and yellow flowers, his feet are covered only by a pair of flip flops and his shorts are khakis. The sweat on his back has his shirt sticking to his skin. There are black sunglasses left to the side almost tossed.

    The smoke seems to realize that there is now a opening, and in your speed sense it begins to drift slowly over. In reality it must be at the speed of a normal man walking. You would assume.

    Agent Snow

    It had been about 45 minutes now. You were a younger man when you were forced to keep up a barrier this long. But your experience made it easier. You were just checking on a file when you felt the force of an explosion...or rather the force right before an explosion. Your instincts kicked in and you used your barrier as a broom, safely and quickly getting the officers and civilians out of the station before your very eyes a purple smoke started to appear. At first it was small, about the size of two basketballs across and high. Then it quickly started expanding. You watched as your black barrier formed around it. Keeping whatever was inside precisely that...inside. But whatever it was, it had such force behind it...it was growing but you knew your barrier was slowing it down. Whatever it was...you knew it wasn't good and the fact that it could push your walls further out meant that whatever was behind it was very powerful.

    The further it pushed your walls, the harder it was becoming. Soon enough...or rather 30 minutes as the clock read, the barrier was as large as the room, forcing you to enter your own shield. The mirror like surface reflecting you a million million times, the smoke in the center larger but not by much. It pulsed with force, which you felt as the energy causing your shields to expand. It ripped through you, making you barely able to hold your concentration. Each time it happened it hurt more. And now you were in simple agony. You knew this was how you were going to die. Then the unthinkable happened, your barrier broke. A piece of it behind you. Is this redemption or your end?

    Leave a comment:


  • CaptainChaos
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 6 - The Invasion Begins

    Jaguar

    It had been a good day. Lunch and shopping with her long lost daughter. Kara hated to watch the young woman leave, a previously unknown maternal instinct causing uncomfortable feelings deep within her. Kara sighed, her common sense reminding her that it was for the best. At least until the current crisis was over. After that, she would call Samantha just to talk. Who knows, maybe her daughter would receive a nice care package at school.

    After the Uber was out of sight, Kara turned away and walked down the sidewalk. As she strolled, her ears picked up an unnatural sound. She stopped to look around, her ears zoning in on the location. Her eyes scanned the sky and saw the source of the sound. A cloud or something was forming in the skies above the city. As she watched, a portal opened and an aircraft of unusual design exited. It vaguely resembled the old dirigibles from a hundred years ago but it was much more modern.

    "Team, I have a problem." she spoke into her communicator while jogging in the direction the ship was moving in.

    Seconds later the people around her noticed the ship. A few stood and stared while others screamed and panicked. There was no time to deal with the crowd.

    "Everyone get inside! Someone call 911!" she yelled as she picked up speed.

    I could really use some wings or the ability to defy gravity right now. Kara thought.

    Kara ducked into a nearby alley and behind a dumpster. As fast as she could, she removed her I.D. and credit cards from her purse and tucked them away in her undies. Tossing the purse and cash aside, she ripped off her civilian clothes and altered her appearance to become Jaguar. Within seconds she was a blur out of the alley and down the street dodging cars and pedestrians. She calculated how far ahead of the craft she needed to get and increased her speed to as fast as she could make her legs go. When she reached her destination, a nice tall skyscraper, Kara ran inside and up the stairwell to the roof. She paused only briefly to calculate the leap needed. With a burst of speed rivaling a supercar, she bolted across the roof, at the last second her legs pushing off hurtling her through empty space towards the craft.

    Win or lose today, at least I got to meet my daughter. she thought as she stretched her arms and claws outward.

    [sblock=Athletics] 1d20+16: 34 [1d20=18] http://orokos.com/roll/613167 [/sblock]
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 11th April 2018, 03:21 AM. Reason: Added athletics check

    Leave a comment:


  • TekHed
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 6 - The Invasion Begins

    Hellion
    Condition: Normal //HP: 2

    "Now what?" Daemon muttered to himself as a new crisis took shape.

    "I'm going to have to come back for you buddy..." Hellion whispered to his injured friend. For some reasons the nanites weren't healing him nearly as fast as they should be, but there was no time to dwell on that. Leaping from the window, he kicked into overdrive, running along walls and leaping between buildings to close the gap quickly. When he was within range, he ran up the nearest skyscraper and vaulted off, looking to land upon one of the aerodynes.

    Spending 2 saved PP to upgrade Wall Crawling from 1 to 2.
    Last edited by TekHed; 6th April 2018, 01:21 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shock
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 5 - Paranoia Would Not Be Unreasonable

    Samantha Truth
    HP: 1 LP: 1

    Samantha glanced at the driver. "Call your friends. We have to stop this fast." Then she teleported out of the car and into the air, heading toward the disturbance.

    Initiative roll: 1d20+5 14 Assuming I need this
    Perception check: 1d20+13 19

    Leave a comment:


  • Neo-Paladin
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 5 - Paranoia Would Not Be Unreasonable

    Justitia


    First, Maria makes sure that the passengers within the helicopter are alright. " I strongly suggest you keep aircraft away from here...", she says, turning towards the officers at the barricade.

    " Keep everyone else away. I am going in!" she calls out, turns around...and, muttering a quick prayer to any god that might be listening, darts towards the darkness...

    Leave a comment:


  • Awfulmonk
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 6 - The Invasion Begins

    Hellion

    In the effort to speed things up since this could take a while and I dont want to have the others wait I am going to speed up what I had planned.
    Katherine Casbon looks to you with a confused expression, "What are you talking about I can't just leave, I'm on hour 3 of my 12 hour shift!" She runs her fingers through her hair in stress and tries to comprehend what your asking. In a hushed tone she continues, "Do you even understand how far I've stuck my neck out for you, you dumped this guy on me with no warning and left me to figure out what to do. I've got the cops asking questions and the mob outside watching me!"

    She puts a hand to her head and a knock on the door is heard, "Shit, stay here and stay quiet, I'll figure that out." She heads out the door squeezing through it so others don't see into the room.

    A few moments go by and as you listen to the beeps and hums of the machines, the darkness doesn't impede your vision and as you watch your friend your ears pick up a low frequency outside. Your ears perk up and you stare out the window, the low dull sound coming from outside the window. Then it stops only for a large purple explosion to appear in the night sky. No force or energy is directed outward, there is no shockwave, only the sudden outward explosion of color as it grows larger and larger.

    Looking on your systems threat directives take over and flood your body with adrenaline, preparing yourself for combat. In the center of the purple explosion in the sky two vehicles that look similar to fighter jets appear. However they are much larger, by your guess either equal to or larger to the size of an AC-130. Immediately they begin opening fire onto the city.

    What are you going to do?

    Jaguar

    After a great lunch and a fantastic time shopping you give your daughter whom you have reconnected with it is time to say your goodbyes. Evening has come and the city is entering its dusk time and the sun is setting. With a final wave you watch the Uber take your daughter back to her hotel and begin your own journey. However you can't help but to hear a small low hum, almost the sound of electricity but lower, emanating from above. It continues to grow and roll through you, wave upon wave of energy until a flurry of purple cloud seems to explode from a point in the air. With your heightened senses you were able to see this form. Waves of bright white flashes of light arc through the cloud and as it continues to grow a vehicle emerges from the cloud. As it does the people around you begin to panic.

    What are you going to do?



    Samantha Truth

    ...In the center of the street a small purple cloud is at ground level, emerging from it seems to be a mixture of soldiers equipped in heavy armor and large robotic figures, splayed out on the ground are the bodies of the Swat teams and officers, however some are still standing with the heroes and taking cover. They are returning fire when able and you watch as several of the heavily armed soldier and even a mechanical figure fall over. As you are still above the air you watch as in several different parts of the city small explosions go off, the black smoke falling over the city.

    What are you going to do?

    Justicia

    The metal groans against the your palms and your muscles hold tight, the force of the helicopters fall suddenly stopped is hard to stop but the vehicle is not heavy. At least not for you. The Blades hit the dirt and stone of the ground and sparks fall behind you. However the floor of the interior of the helicopter is at your chest. You were just in time before the crash were to happen. Cheers ring out but you can't hear them for the moment as the engine is still running. But as you hold your grip and the helicopter is stabilized the engine slowly dies down and comes to land safely on the floor.

    As you look around you see up close the police barricade and all the chaos that has been happening. Turning to the station, your station, you see a dark purple cloud, similar to a vapor cloud, hovering over it, on the inside the interior past a certain point is pure black. And you realize very quickly that the cameras did not pick that up, you would have seen the purple smoke on the television screen if you had.

    What do you do?

    All of these...narratively...are happening at different times but each of them are solvable by you. And only you individually will encounter your unique scenario. Originally when I first started this game it was going to be two per scenario...yes that is how long this has been planned.

    Also everyone gain 1 PP
    Last edited by Awfulmonk; 24th March 2018, 08:33 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • TekHed
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 5 - Paranoia Would Not Be Unreasonable

    Hellion

    "Listen...I don't think he's safe here, and most likely neither are you. I need to get us someplace secure, grab whatever you need but ditch your phone. We're getting out of here."
    Last edited by TekHed; 22nd March 2018, 07:49 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Awfulmonk
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 5 - Paranoia Would Not Be Unreasonable

    Hellion

    The nurse watches as your talons pierce the man's skin. A bit of blood escapes the new wound, but as you hold your hand their microscopic biotic nanites enter the mans body, with commands to repair and restore they begin to work. You know it won't be overnight, in fact it may take a few days. But your nanites, feeding off of the natural electricity the human body produces should be able to restore and repair most if not all of the damaged tissue. The only concern being any brain damage, but until he becomes fully conscious that isn't something you can worry about.

    You feel a little weakened, nothing that would be a detriment, already your enhanced immune system begins replacing the nanites you donated to Chance. He'll be alright. That much is for sure.

    "It's a shame really, you'd make a great doctor." Nurse Casbon says while watching you.

    You lose 1 HP for the power stunt (as you've recorded), but gain 1 luck point.
    Samantha Truth

    At this point, with 0 contact from Star Guard I am retroactively removing him from the game. You're on your own now Shock.
    Silver Star turns the vehicle around, you feel a sudden lurch on your right side as she makes a tight 180' turn. As she does so her body doesn't react, she's clearly both prepared and experienced with the vehicles turn radius. "There was a collection of three artifacts that they tried to take. One was a Urn that if I recall correctly depicted the images of Zeus defeating and imprisoning the titans. The second was a crown, I believe one of a set of three. And the third was a small box, said to be carved by Hephaestus himself, although I'm sure if that were true he would have come and collected it himself if it was of any importance. There were many pieces of the exhibit, why they took those three would be a good question to ask. An easy task as you helped apprehend them." She spoke matter-of-factly as well as with a cool tone while driving, somewhat erratically between and over buildings, her tone deceiving the speed of her return to the museum.

    As she finishes speaking she contacts her team, Este es Silver Star, ¿los ha liberado a los dos bajo custodia policial? Nuestro nuevo amiga tiene una pregunta que le gustaría hacer algunas preguntas." She waits a few moment then a crackle comes over the radio the speech fuzzy and broken as the communicator constantly loses and reconnects to the signal. A male voice comes over the speaker.

    "Estrella fuimos emboscados...inmovilizado pero sosteniendo nuestro propio...lado izquierdo...portal...pasando...confirmar transmisión.

    Silver Star looks to you and translates what she hears, "There was an ambush, their pinned down but holding their own, something about the left side, then a portal, somethings coming through.
    It's all broken up,"
    She speaks into the coms, "Su comunicación se está rompiendo, por favor repita su transmisión."

    As you listen you watch as where you were just a few minutes ago comes into view. As you fly over you see...

    Please hold...Your next post is very important to us and will be finished as soon as other players are ready. Thank you for your patience.
    Just need to catch hellion up and then everyone, yes even jaguar will have a post.

    I would like you all to know that this is at different times of the day, but each of you will only be able to interact with your scene. Perks of playing a PbP game I guess.

    Leave a comment:


  • TekHed
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 5 - Paranoia Would Not Be Unreasonable

    Hellion

    Daemon frowned as he looked over the extend of his friend's injuries. Truly it was a miracle Chance wasn't dead twice over.

    "I can't leave him here, but we can't move him like this either...I'm going to try something i've never tried before." he told Casbon. "You should stand back, just in case this goes awry. Keep an eye on the door for me, would you?"

    Taking a deep breath, he steeled himself and laid a hand upon the shoulder of his comatose comrade. Like tiny stylets, his fingertips extruded the tips of his talons outward, just enough to barely prick the skin. Through the sliver poured thousands of tiny machines more advanced than any comparable technology on the planet. Whereas they were normally used for violent ends, they certainly knew their way around human physiology. With a silent command, he told his microscopic minions to mend that which was mauled. Knitting broken bones, stitching sinew, rewiring nerves, and setting Chance's body back into functional order.

    Hero Point (1 remaining) for Power Stunt:

    Healing 15, Restorative, Flaw: Only on Others, Persistent, Stabilize (32 Points).

    DC 10 Heal Check: 1D20+15 = [18]+15 = 33
    So 5 degrees of success = 5 levels of healing and up to 15 points of Weakened Attributes Restored. He's already Stabilized so that's not needed but this Healing does work against Incurable effects.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shock
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 5 - Paranoia Would Not Be Unreasonable

    Samantha Truth
    HP: 3 LP: 0

    Samantha's eyes widened briefly. "Did you see what they were trying to take? Are you sure none of them got away with anything?"

    "We should get back there."

    Leave a comment:


  • Awfulmonk
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 5 - Paranoia Would Not Be Unreasonable

    Hellion

    As you open the file, you realize how right those last words are. Images from x-rays and sonograms show his internal organs barely functioning. His internal injuries on many fronts missing vital areas by mere millimeters. A Plethora of broken limbs, one of his eyes destroyed in the blast while his lungs are burned after breathing in the heat of the explosion.

    You don't remember much of your time in surgeries during your own metamorphosis but looking through the file might begin to feel that you got off easy.

    His gastrointestinal tract is completely non functional, he has sustained pulmonary contusions in both lungs, he has 3 breaks in his left arm and two in his right, his shoulder is fractured and his brain had swelled but the doctors and nurses in the hospital seemed to have relieved the swelling.

    This man shouldn't be alive...there is no if's and's or but's about it. He should not be alive and yet here he is. Wrapped up in bandages with his limbs held on strings and wires. A breathing tube down his throat and god knows how many monitors and iv's in him.

    Nurse Casbon doesn't say anything as you review the chart and your own question is answered as you reach the back of the file. A hastily scrawled note with a time of about 30 hours ago.

    Patient regained consciousness while Nurse was present - while patient waited for pain medication he called out that he needed to go home. That he shouldn't have left. His last words before slipping back into a coma were "The portals are about to open."

    On the other side of the note - written in the same handwriting, however this time in sharpie instead of pen were "I'm being watched."

    Katherine Casbon, watching you read the file, is silent. But you can tell there is a worried look on her face.

    Shock

    Silver Star thinks a moment then shakes her head in the affirmative. "Truth be told this is very strange, Gabriella Marques is in charge of the 'Exhibición de griego antiguo," a quick second and she realizes you didn't understand her. "Ancient Greek Exhibit, it was the same exhibit the two you encountered with us were trying to steal from."

    Leave a comment:


  • TekHed
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 5 - Paranoia Would Not Be Unreasonable

    Hellion

    "He always was lucky that way..."

    Daemon took the chart from her and gave it a glance over, trying to understand the medical notation and terminology.

    "Did he say anything to you?"

    Leave a comment:


  • Shock
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 5 - Paranoia Would Not Be Unreasonable

    Samantha Truth
    HP: 3 LP: 0

    "Of course."
    Samantha slid into the passenger seat of the SUV. "How far is it?"

    "All I've got to go on right now is a name: Gabriella Marques. Do that mean anything to you?"

    Leave a comment:


  • Awfulmonk
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 5 - Paranoia Would Not Be Unreasonable

    Shock

    Silver Star smiles and then her eyes wander away from yours, "I would be more than happy to try. But if not, I have a few contacts that might be able to help." As you make your way towards the end of the street, you see a collection of advanced vehicles. Two the size of motorcycles and one the size of a suburban, each with matching white red and gold color scheme. Silver Star presses her hand on the largest of them and a palm scanner comes to life. Unlocking itself. "If you'd care to join me I will be more able to help at our headquarters."

    She gestures for you to take a seat as she gets in the drivers side.

    Justicia

    Please Hold

    Manicale Cackle commence

    Leave a comment:


  • Neo-Paladin
    replied
    Re: (3e) Pillars Fall and Heroes Rise: Chapter 5 - Paranoia Would Not Be Unreasonable

    Justitia

    There is just a blur of motion as Maria speeds towards the station, ready to do what is necessary to save the helicopter from an untimely date with the ground...

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X