Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e IC] Superhuman Defense Organisation - America

Undisclosed Location, America

Director Samantha Austin is sitting at her desk, looking over an expenses report and contemplating how professional it would be to set fire to it just so something interesting would happen, when Dr. Gunter Glas enters her office. "Dr. Glas!" she exclaims, happy that she can discard the dull report for the moment "Great to see you, I'm guessing you have something for me?"

"Yes, I do. The Intel Team compiled a report of potential additions to Team Charlie, and they gave it to me for review. Here, I've selected what I believe to be the best candidates for us to recruit." Glas says, handing her a tablet before adding "I'm not sure why they bring these to me instead of you; you are the Director of this division after all."

"True." she replies, scanning the currently open page of the tablet "But you're literally responsible for these guys existing in the first place. Maybe they just think you're the most suited for selecting who gets recruited?"

"Perhaps..." he contemplates. A minute or two pass, before Austin looks up from the tablet with a troubled expression. "Gunter, are you absolutely sure that these are the best people we can recruit?" she asks.

"Yes, I am. They all have remarkable abilities, and have shown themselves to be capable of either great heroics, or handling themselves well in a fight." he answers.

"Fair enough, but Dragonfly is a thrillseeker in it for the glory, Jariek appears to be emotionally unstable at best, and Spark has a criminal history - and before you bring it up, yes, I know Ms.Century doesn't exactly have a squeaky clean past either, but her crimes were at least targeted against a company who wanted to use her invention to create killers." she explains "Savior seems to be the only good choice, but you picking these other three makes me question his suitability as well."

"All fair points." Glas concedes "But we shouldn't choose who and who not to recruit based on their personalities, or past actions. True, Dragonfly appears to simply be a glory hunter, but she rescued two children during a major storm at risk to her own life. True, Jariek seems to be...temperamental, but he single-handedly fought off an entire squadron of alien infiltrators and would be a far greater ally than he would be an enemy. True, Spark has a criminal history, but he has shown steps towards becoming a hero. All I'm asking is that you give them a chance, Samantha."

Samantha sighs "Fine, fine, but I want Lilya to be the one to go after Jariek in case something goes wrong, ok?"

"I'm sure Lee will be fine with that. Thank you, Samantha." Glas replies, before quickly exiting the office.

Samantha then presses a few buttons on her desk, and Machine Girl hears her voice come through her earpiece.

"Lilya, this is Director Austin. Report to the teleporter room ASAP, we're sending you out to recruit a potentially emotionally volatile superhuman. Don't try to intimidate him into joining, and only attack him if he attacks you first, ok? We'll give you more details after you get to the teleporter room."

OOC: Alright, I'll need you guys to post where exactly your character is in America and what they're currently doing. As discussed through PMs, Ophion will post after Vynn has posted.

Episode 1: Introduction
    Episode 2: Oh say can you see...
    Last edited by PauloDeWalshio; 07-13-2016, 04:41 PM.

Re: Superhuman Defense Organisation - America

Savior
    Condition: Keeping Watch
    HP: 1

Caleb flew among the clouds slowly above New York City, scanning for high-profile incidents with his superhuman senses. He saw very little to speak of, which made him happy, as his standard of high-profile included sinking aircraft carriers and rampaging pyrokineticists. He had thwarted a bank robbery early in the morning, but aside from that, he hadn't seen anything of note. He rarely got involved with low-profile crime anymore. As arrogant as it felt, his parents had told him to leave that sort of stuff to less powerful beings. The amount of time he spent putting muggers and purse-snatchers in jail was better spent being vigilant for high-end crime such as acts of terror and evil superhumans. So he had kept careful watch all day, and as of yet hadn't seen much action. It was unsettling. It left him with too much time to spend pondering things he didn't want to think about. Living in a world where even fortified material was to him like cardboard was to most humans, every act since his powers manifested required restraint and care. He had nightmares of what might happen if he ever couldn't control himself. He couldn't shake one dream he had. He was embracing Cassie. Then she fell, a hand-print crushed into her skull... A recurring and horrifying nightmare. He wouldn't let that happen... He could never live with himself if he failed to.
    He spotted a large crane shuddering. The sky-scraping piece of equipment was about to fall. "Damn. Can't let this happen!" Speeding towards the ground at 1000 miles per hour, he landed at the base of the structure with a crash, smashing concrete and sending nearby objects flying. He seized the crane with both arms as pedestrians ran (quite wisely) away from the immensely heavy piece of metal. Focusing on lifting the thing, Caleb found the thing nearly weightless, and gently set it down. The thing felt unstable again, but Caleb flew up and held it stable while the crews inspected it for faults. Caleb flashed a smile at one construction worker staring at him and said "What's up? I'm here to help."
    Last edited by AverageJoe; 02-06-2016, 09:33 PM.
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/2965-AverageJoe-s-Builds-(Concept-Bank)-3-Entries-Thus-Far"]My Builds[/URL]
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4164-Superhuman-Defense-Organisation-America?p=161535&viewfull=1#post161535"]Savior[/URL], SDO: America
    [QUOTE=Emiliano Zapata][B]"Better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."[/B][/QUOTE]
    [QUOTE=Tim McGraw][B]"I'm in a better place... Where soldiers live in peace, and angels sing Amazing Grace..."[/B][/QUOTE]

Comment

Jariek

Condition: Annoyed.

It was with a great huff that Jariek as calmly as he could manage, reached down and ripped the metallic bracelet off of his wrist. Both of his hands tipped with sharpened nails that were stained, casual observers might of thought the stains were blood but it wasn't, it was a combination of lubricant and coolant.

How many times had this happened the past few weeks? A dozen maybe. The man with the golden mane of hair tossed the destroyed cuff to the snowy ground. He knelt down and cupped those hands together, scooping up a pile of white snow in his palms rubbing his hands together as a rudimentary way of cleaning his hands off. When his hands were cleaner he wiped them dry on the front of his pants.
      He turned to survey the surrounding area the snow crunching under his heavy boot and he admired his handiwork.

Littering the snow covered mountain in the Colorado wilderness were signs of the terrific battle that had just taken place moments before. A smoldering wreck of some kind of flying craft had crashed into the ground, having knocked over a tall tree in the process. The smoking ship might of caused someone from the town that was nestled near the bottom of the mountain to notice, but as had happened every time before this, several hours, or maybe a day afterward, all signs of the ship and everything that had been on it would simply disappear. Among the wreck and scattered around were members of the raiding party. Cybernetic troops with stun blasters and nets had appeared and attacked him without warning. One of them had managed to put that restraint cuff on him, but even it had failed to subdue the monster they had created. And that cyber soldier now lay torn into pieces along with the rest of them.

Ilthorians. The race that was responsible for breeding Jariek in a lab. They were also the ones that were hunting him so relentlessly. They wanted a weapon, and like all those who tried to create the next great weapon, they failed to learn how to control it. As far as he was concerned, nothing could. As evidenced by the entire retrieval team that they sent, that he had just littered along the side of the Mountain. Jariek's mind went to a dark, foul place at the thought of the lab. What happened there, how they treated him. He would not go back, no matter what they sent after him. He wanted to be free, he would be free. Though even he wasn't in a cage a part of him, perhaps the more human part didn't feel very free. He was living in the woods spending his time between watching the towns littered around and staying far enough away from them so that they didn't see him and the Ilthorians didn't cause any collateral damage when they showed up. Being Free with such restrictions was hardly free. Though it was probably also true that if Jariek walked into any of those towns... well... better he stay in the mountains.

The big man turned again on his heel, turning away from the battle scene and started to walk away. His feet making that crunching sound that was so common when walking in the snow. The long tail of his jacket blowing back behind him. He wore no shirt, just the jacket, pants and boots. His chest covered in hair that looked pretty soft, but not many would be brave enough to touch it to find out. A few hundred feet away was the cave in which he'd taken up most recent residence.
      -Love is like a Rhino, short-sighted and hasty; if it cannot find a way, it will make a way.

-Flavor text "Crash of Rhinos"

Comment

Originally posted by AverageJoe View Post
        "What's up? I'm here to help."
        The construction worker shrugs "Dunno." he replies "Was workin' fine 'till today. Then one of the boys said he heard the thing creakin', but we thought it was just his mind playin' tricks on him."

A rather plain-looking red-headed woman in jeans and a t-shirt walks towards Savior, pushing her way past the construction workers that try to stop her. "The metal's rusted near the base!" she calls out to you "I can fix it, but it'll take me a minute or two, so keep holding it until I say you can stop!"

She walks over to the base of the crane and runs her hand across a part of the mast. The old rusted metal starts slowly getting replaced by good as new steel.

"Hey, you're Savior, right?" she inquires "If you are, could you come with me after this is over? There's something I'd like to talk to you about."

Comment

Anna Century
          Condition: Normal

10:46:03.

The gunman brought his gun around, aiming it at the bank teller. His shouted threats left the teller paralyzed with fear. Anna was almost a mile away when a voice in her ear told her the situation. It would have sounded like a meaningless blip of high-pitched noise to almost anyone else, but Anna could make out every word. It ws a compressed audio message from Director Austin. She turned west, cranked up her time dilation field to its maximum setting, and took off.

The gunman squeezed the trigger. When Anna came in, the room seemed to be frozen. The bullet was just exiting the barrel, and the recoil forced the gun up some small fraction of an inch. The teller was petrified, his face just beginning to form a shocked grimace, while the gunman looked on, his features hidden by a stars-and-stripes clown mask. Three other thieves were positioned around the lobby, each wearing clown masks of their own.

Anna walked up to the shooter and looked him in the eyes. There was nothing there but anger, nothing to indicate that he cared that he was about to take a human life. With a sigh, she reached out and gently, almost imperceptibly, shoved him backward. Faint ripples formed on his suit, slowly propagating across him, as he began to flybackward, so slowly that his motion was almost invisible.

Then she walked over to the next criminal. He hadn't fired yet, so she gave the barrel of his gun a little flick with her fingernail, then softly nudged the man's chin with her knuckles. The third thief she simply shoulder-checked as she walked by on her way to the fourth. And for that one, she put her fist up to his stomach and gave him a subtle little tap. Then she left, walking out as calmly as she came in.

It wasn't until she made it three blocks before she realized what she'd forgotten. With a sigh, she turned around and headed back to the bank. The bullet had made it halfway to the teller now. The gunman was hoveriving in midair, horizontal, about ten feet away from where he'd been. His partners in crime were similarly in disarray. The second thief was upside-down, as if he'd been frozen in the middle of a backflip. The third was sprawled out, eyes wide in shock behind his mask, as he was caught in the middle of hurtling toward the wall. And the fourth looked as if someone had attached a hook to his back and was hauling him out of the room, so fast that his feet had left the floor completely.

As she passed, Anna decided that the one who'd actually pulled the trigger deserved a little reminder as to why you don't do that. She gently patted his stomach in mid air, and his course altered - rather than just flying backward, he was now headed mostly straight for the floor. Anna then adjusted a dial on her description engine, and the bullet suddenly veered upward, toward the ceiling, moving at right angles to its former trajectory.

She turned time back on.

The thieves flew across the room, landing heavily in the blink of an eye. The gunman hit the floor so hard he bounced. The one she'd shoulder checked slammed into the drywall and left a dent. The one she'd tapped on the chin finished his midair somersault and collapsed in a heap on the floor. The fourth and final thief flew a couple feet back, then hit the polished tile floor of the bank and skidded to halt against a desk. And the bullet zinged up to the roof and made a hole in the drop ceiling.

Anna nodded to herself. It was a job well done.

10:46:04.
          Last edited by FrankScenario; 02-07-2016, 05:11 PM.
          My characters:
          [B][COLOR="#FF0000"][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/3705-Emerald-City-Freedom-League-(Selecting-PCs-soon)?p=143784&viewfull=1#post143784"]Spellweaver[/URL][/COLOR][/B], master mage in the Emerald League
          [B][COLOR="#DAA520"][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/3651-Freedom-League-Unlimited?p=149136#post149136"]Dauntless[/URL][/COLOR][/B], potential claimant to the legacy of Centurion
          [B][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4164-Superhuman-Defense-Organisation-America-(Recruiting)?p=162527&viewfull=1#post162527"]Anna Century[/URL][/B], physics-defying speedster
          [B][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/5383-cosmic-DC-adventure-recruitment-thread-until-Sept-10?p=210525&viewfull=1#post210525"]Saavi Nayo[/URL][/B], the Innumerable Girl

Comment

Spark
            Condition: Thoughtful

In a suburban neighborhood just west of Chicago, Illinois...

John sat cross-legged in the air, miles above his family's home.

It was dark, and late at night. He came up here to think sometimes. There was solitude in this place, on account of the fact that no ordinary person could be here. When he needed a chance to shut out the world, he used his superhuman abilities to travel far above his home and hovered in the air.

John had been up here a lot lately. In the last few, short years, he had learned how to harness his powers, but he had no idea what he was meant to use them for. He was brooding. He and his father had gotten into another fight, and he'd decided it was better to get out of the area before he did something he regretted. The argument ran through his mind.

"All of these new heroes are wasting their time," David complained as he motioned at the news on their TV. "They should be doing something important with their powers. They should be working together, protecting the world from future alien attacks! What idiots."

John flexed a fist. The lights and television in their living room suddenly flickered. David muttered a curse and took another swig of his whiskey. "Damn power surge again. Anyway. Idiots. What I wouldn't give to have my powers back..."

"You never had powers," John replied reflexively. He knew it was a lie, now, but he couldn't let his father know why. David glared and raised his voice in reply...

John sighed. If he stayed up here much longer, his mother would start to worry. Taking a breath, he smiled in spite of himself and faced the ground as he became lightning. A bright flashing light spread across the sky, echoed after a fraction of a second by a loud boom. John was gone.

John sighed again as he walked down the sidewalk. He took another bite from a stolen candy bar -- he missed dinner because of the fight, and his stomach had been growling -- and tried to figure out how to smooth things over at home. Just as he threw away the wrapper, he heard a muffled scream from down the alley.

John immediately turned his head, freezing in place. All thoughts of his petty argument with his dad fled from his mind, except one thought: They should be doing something important with their powers... Before he realized what he was doing, he was sneaking down the alley towards the distress call.

He saw two men, both masked, one with a knife held up to a woman's throat. She was crying, struggling to get away but unable to break from his grip. John saw that the alley was barely lit by an overhanging street light. He narrowed his eyes and concentrated; the light flickered, then blacked out.

John heard the men yell out in surprise, but he was already moving. He quietly ran up to the unarmed man and rapidly punched him twice to the back, charging his fists with an electric pulse. He smelled ozone burn as lightning crackled from his fist, and the man sank to the ground with a groan. The light flickered back on -- John wasn't able to focus on shutting off its power supply while fighting -- but he was already moving over to the man with the knife. The armed thug's eyes opened wide, and he threw the knife at John in fear.

John reflexively threw out an electromagnetic shield, and a spark sent the knife flying away. He stuck out his hand and sent a thin beam of lightning straight at the thug's chest. He gasped and stumbled back, then fell unconscious as he spasmed uncontrollably. John found himself smirking. I probably shouldn't like this part so much.

Before the woman could say anything, he became lightning again, vanishing with booming thunder.

John walked into his home and threw his keys on the table. He heard his parents in the other room, arguing again. He didn't see any reason to intervene. John went upstairs and hopped onto his bed, staring at the ceiling with his arms crossed. "I'm not a hero," he said aloud, and tried to convince himself that he didn't owe anyone anything.

OOC: This is much longer than my typical posts will be, but I wanted to add a little bit of flavor to my intro post.
            Elliot McGuire/Levitron - Super Framily Apprenticeship Plan (IC)
            John Olson/Spark - Superhuman Defense Organization - America (IC)

Comment

Machine Girl
              Hero Points: 1
              Condition: To be determined….

Lee jerked upright as the sound of Director Austin’s voice filled her ear. She realized groggily that she must’ve dozed off while going over some of the files Gunter’d given her earlier to review. His reports were informative – they were not always entertaining.

Belatedly, Lee became aware that the Director had been talking to her for several seconds already, while her still-sluggish mind had been struggling to rev itself back up to full speed. When she finally found herself able to both hear and comprehend what Samantha was saying, she heard: “… try to intimidate him into joining, and only attack him if he attacks you first, ok? We’ll give you more details after you get to the teleporter room.

Yeah”, Lee replied, trying to keep that thick sound of sleepiness out of her voice, while also doing that thing she did so well: pretending to know exactly what was going on even though she had no idea. “Got it. Will be at the t-port in a few.

She pushed herself away from the desk she’d been reading at, metal hands scraping against the desk’s faux-wood surface, and went to her quarter’s bathroom mirror, just to check her appearance. And was glad she did, after discovering a patch of drool still clinging to her face just to one side of her mouth, as well as the really amazing bed-head hairstyle that sleeping on her desk had given her. She wiped the drool away disgustedly and as for her hair, she just pulled it up into a loose bun, then she turned and walked out of her room, grabbing a bomber jacket off her chair on the way out and slipping it on.

Between her room and the teleporter Lee went over what she remembered the Director saying to her, and managed to piece together a rough facsimile of what the she’d been trying to tell her (‘go pick up some grumpy super for us and try not to piss him off too much in the process’). Swell… she could do that. Probably.

At the t-porter the staff on hand dutifully handed her a file on one ‘Jariek’: a shape-shifter or some such, who was indeed a grumpy, grumpy fellow by all accounts; aliens involved somehow; hiding out somewhere in the mountains of Colorado. Nothing she hadn’t dealt with before.

Lee flipped Jariek’s file closed and slapped the manila folder against the chest of the aid who’d handed it to her when she’d first come in, surprising him into grabbing it from her (or she hoped it did, because she let go of the thing regardless), and turned towards the teleporter. She nodded to the t-port operator as she stepped onto its surface and said, “See you boys in a bit.” Then she waited for the thing to send her off to wherever, looking like a slightly bored, slightly homicidal, but extremely good-looking cyborg-ninja fashion model decked out in the latest trends in authentically-aged action-heroine adventure gear.

The t-port had dropped her off in one of those standard-issue, trademarked S.D.O. anonymous warehouse outposts, located in one of the equally anonymous towns surrounding the area they’d tracked this Jariek character to. The staff on shift had briefed her on the shape-shifter’s likeliest location, then handed her the keys to something with four-wheel-drive. Lee got into it, causing the vehicle’s suspension to groan in shocked outrage as about four hundred and fifty pounds of svelte sexiness slid into the driver’s seat; she slid the key into the ignition and started the thing, then drove off.

Jariek was still doing… whatever it was that moody shape-shifting escaped alien lab experiments did while hanging out in a cave in the mountains in the middle of winter in Colorado, when Lee’s jeep came into view. He’d no doubt heard the thing’s engine sometime before. The vehicle stopped some ways off from the cave, closer to the scene of his recent battle with the Ithorians, and its engine abruptly stopped, to be replaced with the sound of hot metal ticking away in the cold air.

After a moment a woman hopped out. Wearing dark cargo pants, a leather jacket and aviators, the woman seemed to take her time checking out what was left of the Ithorians. Even from where he stood in the cave, it was obvious she wasn’t so much ‘examining’ the scene, as much she was ‘assessing’ it – like she was grading his results, or something. After a half a moment or so the woman turned away and started walking towards Jariek’s cave. Stopping about twenty feet from its entrance, she took off her sunglasses and pocketed them, turned her back on him (very deliberately, it looked like) to take one more look at what was left of the Ithorians, and then turned back around to regard Jariek.

She stood there like that for just a second or so, not saying anything, then cocked her head just slightly to one side and said, “Hi. I’m Lee. You want a job?

((OOC: Hey Vynn, I took some liberties in assuming that Jariek wouldn't just run away and hide - or straight-out attack Lee - when she shows up. Hope that's alright. Also, below is a color picture (since the ones in her original submission were both in grainy black and white) to give a rough idea of what she looks like.))
              Last edited by Ophion; 02-07-2016, 04:21 PM.
              Characters I'm Currently Playing:
              Aurelius
              Machine Girl
              Mindstar

Comment

Jariek
                Condition: indifferent.

Jariek's keen hearing heard the sound of something approaching that he wasn't quite used to. It wasn't that he'd never heard a car engine before. But it was just a bit of an oddity to hear them so far removed from the town without the benefit of roads. He appeared near the front of his cave, standing curious. He observed the Jeep rolling up and someone stepping out. He saw the woman observing the Ilthorian wreckage. He assumed that was why she had come. If she wasn't with them and he suspected if she was then she would of flown in on some kind of spaceship like the others did. Then she MUST be there because she saw the smoking wreckage and came to investigate.

It struck him as curious then when she began to approach his cave. And she didn't seem to be surprised to see him standing there. He didn't back away at first, but when she got close, he did take a step back into the shadows. Not out of fear, or anything like that. He just didn't want her to see his face. The Iithorians didn't do Jariek any favors when it came to his powers. Yes he could shapechange into some truly magnificent beasts. But his own face he was stuck with. His sharpened canines and almost bestial appearance didn't help matters any. He listened to her speak. It took him perhaps a moment to comprehend what the woman had said. He takes the words in and rolls them around in his mind. A job... He lets his memories play back the words he learned with being grown. The intellect that he had was programmed into him by his Alien creators. He knew the definition of meaning of many words that he had not encountered since being free.

Jariek crossed his thick arms across his chest the words rattled around in his mind for only a second before he dismissed them. A job? What good would a Job do to him? He exhaled, more of a growl then anything and seeing nothing more of interest, he turned around stepping further into the cave. A small fire had been lit. And he tossed another log he'd ripped off of a tree into the slowly growing flame. He crouched down and stuck his hands towards the fire.
                -Love is like a Rhino, short-sighted and hasty; if it cannot find a way, it will make a way.

Comment

Anna Century
                  The teller, a spotty teenager that couldn't be any older than 18, stares at you for a few seconds, tying to process what just happened. He then finally finds his voice "OHMIGODTHANKYOUSOMUCH!" he blurts out, before collecting himself and continuing in a much calmer fashion "I-I'll call an ambulance right away, stay right there." he then pulls out his phone and begins to do so. A few minutes later, paramedics rush into the bank, flanked by a few police officers, and they begin to examine the bank robbers for any serious injuries. You then hear a familiar voice come through your earpiece "Anna, this is Callyn, Director Austin wants you to teleport back to base; you'll apparently have some new teammates coming in soon." states the voice of your S.D.O handler.

Spark
                  You hear the doorbell ring, and a minute later your mother walks into your room, a resigned expression on your face "Sweetie, there's a detective here to talk to you." she sighs, quickly leaving to allow said detective to speak to you in private. The detective, a middle-aged man with bright blond hair and a five o'clock shadow, briskly enters and begins to speak in a thick southern drawl "Hey there, John. I'm Detective Wolfe of the CPD. I'm here to talk to you about..." his voice quickly trails off as he shuts the door to your room and clicks his fingers. "I know who you really are, Spark." he begins "And I'm here to make you an offer. If you refuse, you'll never hear from me again, but hear me out, ok? I'm an agent of a group called the Superhuman Defense Organisation. Maybe you've heard of us, maybe you haven't, doesn't really matter. What matters is that we recruit superhumans like yourself to help us defend the world from very nasty people. My superiors believe that you'd make an excellent addition to our organisation - I'm not sure about that myself, but who am I to judge? - and are willing to have your juvenile record completely expunged in return for you joining up. Now, I ain't gonna sugar coat this: It's dangerous, real dangerous, but you could do some real good in the world if you do decide to accept our offer. What d'ya say?"

Comment

Savior
                    Condition: Curious

Caleb smirked as the young lady asked to talk to him. "Sure thing... You need help?" He finally relinquished his grip on the crane and flew over to the redhead, scooped her up, and flew down to the ground. Setting her down, he looked down to her and said "So. What did you want to talk about? I don't mean to be rude, but unless it's really important, I need to be back on patrol." He wasn't trying to be intimidating, just firm but pleasant.
                    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/2965-AverageJoe-s-Builds-(Concept-Bank)-3-Entries-Thus-Far"]My Builds[/URL]
                    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4164-Superhuman-Defense-Organisation-America?p=161535&viewfull=1#post161535"]Savior[/URL], SDO: America
                    [QUOTE=Emiliano Zapata][B]"Better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."[/B][/QUOTE]
                    [QUOTE=Tim McGraw][B]"I'm in a better place... Where soldiers live in peace, and angels sing Amazing Grace..."[/B][/QUOTE]

Comment

Dragonfly
                      Condition: half-sick

"Yeah, I know...I put the shots off too long this time. You already mentioned that." Dara sighed, as Prof. Cabot injected another drug into the IV line, feeling the stinging in her veins. She disliked the IVs, but couldn't complain because it was her fault; skipping the autoinjector version for that long meant IV infusions of stronger drugs.
                      "You were careless. Good thing you were subbing at Sabrina's school, where she could keep an eye on you, or you'd have gone off looking for a crime--or a photo op--after dismissal instead of calling me in." After 30+ years of dealing with med students and residents, Cabot expected total obedience to his dictates, even from newb supers.

Aunt Sabrina Roberts finally looked up from the pile of physics tests she'd been grading. "I'll make sure she comes in for the EEGs and scans when you arrange it, Mitchell."
                      "She should forget about this, Sabrina, if she's not going to take care of herself. That merc or whoever did a number on her nervous system and neurotransmitters as it is."
                      "She won't listen, any more than I did when I started out as Dragonfly," the super-turned-science teacher pointed out
                      "You didn't have her problems. I've seen those notes on you. I wrote half of them even if I didn't recall--" Cabot began.

As they talked, Dara sat up, careful not to pull on the line and waited to see if her stomach would rebel before joining the conversation. "I was stupid, okay? So please stop talking about me as if I'm not here. I am not retiring. You and the neuro docs all agreed staying out of the suit won't cure the destabilized neuro-whatevers. And I don't think it's going to worsen--"
                      "Probably not. If you stay on schedule with the meds and--" Cabot pointed out.
                      "Still not getting better if I stop being Dragonfly, so I might as well help people!" Dara interrupted him in turn. She wasn't an intern dependent on his favor.

Sabrina knew the pair wouldn't stop if this went any farther, so she sent Mitchell Cabot, MD, PhD on his way and finished Dara's treatment herself. Nothing to do but remove the IV and check vitals once more anyways. She changed the subject back to work. "Monika Phelps will be going on maternity leave next term. I'm sure Mack will give you the long-term sub assignment, since all her classes are art." Dara had a BA in Fine Arts. "Except for the one stagecraft period," she told Dara as they headed to the main part of the house.
                      Location: Mountain, a couple hours from Little Rock, Arkansas

Dara enjoyed flying the most of what the battlesuit allowed her to do. All the sickness of the previous day was gone, as well as the odd tingling and stinging as her neurons adjusted to the drugs Prof. Cabot had developed. She complained about them--and Cabot--even as she was grateful for the old grump's help. And as she pointed out the night before, she would be taking the shots the rest of her life, no matter what.

And it was beautiful out. It would have been perfect except for that poor fool hiker. You don't go hiking without letting others know where and for how long. And you don't keep running around when you get separated from your buddy. At least the guy hadn't hiked solo. If not for his cousin, the rangers would have no idea someone was missing. It still got pretty cold at night, and while this wasn't a difficult trail, there were some trouble spots, especially if he kept going after the sun dropped behind the ridges.

She spotted the staging area for the searchers and spiraled in, the wings folding as she touched down. There were 2 SAR dog/handler teams and she called out "Hey guys!" to the canines as she walked over to the ranger who beckoned her.
                      "Good timing, Dragonfly. Igor and Tomas tracked him to where he fell." Dara knew the team, a cookie-loving bloodhound and a handler who probably didn't weigh half what Igor did.
                      "He badly hurt?"
                      "Yeah, broken leg at least. Conscious enough to yell back and forth with Tomas," Ranger Evans told her. "Bad news is the crosswinds in that ravine are too much for a chopper. If you could get down in there, they could lower the basket?"
                      "Yeah...I could go down so they could lower it from a safe altitude." Probably, most likely. "They'll still need to drop a medic too, I'm not qualified. It will be safe with me on the line keeping it from getting fouled.
                      "Are there any other search teams around, or all out but Tomas and Igor?"
                      Dara's bio-electric scanner would let her home in on the location faster if there were less target pings.

Evans nodded, giving the general location, which Dragonfly recognized. The Ranger stepped back to allow Dara room to expand the wings and go aloft. When she arrived at the site, she tilted her wings to the SAR team and hovered, making radio contact with the Med-evac helicopter she could hear in the distance.
                      A couple hours later, she was hovering over the drop again, watching the med-evac taking the victim towards a Level 1 trauma hospital in Little Rock, before she returned to the staging area.
                      Dragonfly joined the SAR teams, petting on the now off-duty dogs. This was the first time Dragonfly had worked an actual rescue with the dog teams, but she had done some training exercises with them, enough the dogs were accustomed to the battlesuited woman. Today, they accepted her gauntleted caresses and Igor sat on her boots, leaning against her legs, as she talked with Tomas and the other handlers.
                      Last edited by Liane; 02-07-2016, 09:18 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Spark
                        Condition: Suspicious

John frowned when he heard the doorbell. No one ever came by at this time of night. He barely had time to wonder who might be here when his mother entered his room with a stranger. John sat up immediately at the mention of "detective," and his heart skipped a beat. Play it cool, he told himself.

"I didn't do anything," he blurted out. He just barely managed to suppress a wince. Not a great way to start this conversation.

Before he could ask why a detective was there to see him, the man called him Spark. John tensed and sprang to his feet, ready to dash past him or stun him with electricity if needed. "How do you--? I don't know what you're talking about," he lied weakly. "My dad put you up to this, didn't he? Nice try fooling me." He forced a laugh. He had been so careful. How had someone tracked him here?

And then the agent mentioned the SDO -- the agency that his father had been involved in years ago. John sank back down into the bed. Were they the real deal? It seemed legit; no one else could know that name. He blinked at the mention of having his records expunged. "You mean...you can just make it so that my juvy records don't exist any more? That's..." He trailed off. He had no way of telling if it was possible, but this man seemed pretty honest.

After a long silence, John crossed his arms. "Why should I believe anything you're saying?" he asked. Giving in to his curiosity, he also blurted out, "No one could know I'm involved. I...don't know what it would do to my parents," he added honestly.
                        Last edited by rwknoll; 02-07-2016, 09:08 PM. Reason: Formatting
                        Elliot McGuire/Levitron - Super Framily Apprenticeship Plan (IC)
                        John Olson/Spark - Superhuman Defense Organization - America (IC)

Comment

Anna Century
                          Condition: Normal

"Understood. I'll be there in just a few seconds." Anna looked to the police and paramedics before she left. "Do you have any need of me? If you need a statement, contact the SDO and I'll get in touch. Otherwise, it looks like I'm needed elsewhere." The teller and the customers thanked her before she left, while the thieves - the two who were conscious, at least - favored her with killing looks.

Then she was gone, just as quickly as she came in. She didn't go more than a handful of steps before engaging her description engine to rewrite physics for her in such a way as to bend light around her, making her shimmer out of sight. Another quick adjustment put her out of phase with the rest of reality. Anna took her role seriously, including protecting the secrecy of the SDO and its teleportation centers. So even though she was invisible, intangible, and moving impossibly fast, she still took a circuitous route back to the unnamed and nondescript warehouse where the organization maintained its transporters. Once she was there, she reappeared and addressed the security system. "Anna Century, here for immediate transport."
                          My characters:
                          [B][COLOR="#FF0000"][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/3705-Emerald-City-Freedom-League-(Selecting-PCs-soon)?p=143784&viewfull=1#post143784"]Spellweaver[/URL][/COLOR][/B], master mage in the Emerald League
                          [B][COLOR="#DAA520"][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/3651-Freedom-League-Unlimited?p=149136#post149136"]Dauntless[/URL][/COLOR][/B], potential claimant to the legacy of Centurion
                          [B][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4164-Superhuman-Defense-Organisation-America-(Recruiting)?p=162527&viewfull=1#post162527"]Anna Century[/URL][/B], physics-defying speedster
                          [B][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/5383-cosmic-DC-adventure-recruitment-thread-until-Sept-10?p=210525&viewfull=1#post210525"]Saavi Nayo[/URL][/B], the Innumerable Girl

Comment

Machine Girl
                            Hero Points: 1
                            Condition: Irritated and ready to go back home

Lee watched the shape-shifter as he tried to hide himself in the shadows; there wasn’t any way he could know that her enhanced eyes could see him as clearly as if he’d been standing right out in the sun, and she figured she’d let him keep whatever small protection he thought the shadows were giving him.

Her only immediate reaction when Jariek ignored her offer of a job and literally turned his back on her was to arch one eyebrow and flare her nostrils for a second. Then she repeated her question – in French, German, Russian – even Chinese. Nothing.

Lee was unimpressed. The 'shifter very obviously didn't think she had anything to offer him that was worthy of his attention or consideration. Otherwise, why turn his back on her? This was such an incredibly idiotic attitude for him to take, under the circumstances, that Lee was now finding it difficult to stay put and not just turn around, get back in her vehicle, and drive away. She tried reminding herself that Jariek was a vat-grown lab experiment, after all, and probably didn't have much actual experience with... well, much of anything, most likely.

After giving the shape-shifter’s back the stink-eye for a moment or so, Lee turned partially away and put her hand to her earpiece.

Yes, it’s Machine Girl. Put me on with the Director…

Lee allowed her gaze to wander over her surroundings and sighed quietly as she waited. After a moment her gaze suddenly refocused as someone new came on whatever line she was communicating over.

Samantha, hello. Listen, how badly do you want this pridorok*? Because he either doesn’t understand anything I’m saying, or he’s an anti-social bolvany*. I can’t tell which.” Jariek found that even after giving his vat-grown knowledge a minute to work it out, he still wasn’t sure what ‘pridorok’ or ‘bolvany’ meant, but he was pretty sure they weren’t compliments.

Listening to Lee as she talked, it’d become increasingly apparent that she was not a native speaker of the English language. The truth was that, despite having spoken English for twice as long as most people had been alive (and ten or twelve times as long as Jariek had been), Lee had never quite gotten rid of an accent that had started its long life sounding vaguely Slavic, but that these days could only really be said to sound like it came from somewhere very deep in the Old World. Like a French accent spiked with vodka.

Mm-hmm. Yes, there’s a downed Ithorian craft behind me that makes that very clear. And? I’m supposed to be impressed? What do I care if he can take one down by himself? If he isn't interested in doing it with the help of a team then what use is he to us?

Originally posted by OOC Stuff
                            @PauloDeWalshio & Vynn: So, Lee may not actually have been the best person to send after Jariek, seeing as he's apparently the sort who requires a certain amount of begging and cajoling before he'll join a team. Lee's a centenarian alcoholic and a generally cranky gal, and her personality is basically Jenny Sparks, mixed with about equal parts Wolverine and The Fourth Man. If Jariek's got questions, doubts or concerns - or even if he needs to slug it out with her for a bit for whatever reason - those things she can deal with, but if he's just going to give her the cold shoulder and not engage with her at all, she's not really the type to hang around and try to get him to open up. If he joins the team, she'll eventually come to think of him as a comrade and perhaps even a friend, but right now he's just some wild man in a cave who doesn't want to talk to her, and frankly that suits her just fine.

To be clear, though, and speaking as myself and not as my character, I'm eager to get Jariek on the team and am looking forward to seeing him in action. My character may not be impressed with him (currently), but I am, so what's the best course of action towards getting him signed up so we can move on with the game?

Language Notes:
                            *Pridorok: Russian, means “moron”.
                            *Bolvany: Russian again; literally translates to “a person who lacks good judgment”.
                            Last edited by Ophion; 02-07-2016, 11:05 PM.
                            Characters I'm Currently Playing:
                            Aurelius
                            Machine Girl
                            Mindstar

Comment

Jariek
                              HP:1

Jariek sat by the fire, warming his hands. He could still hear the woman outside the cave, but she didn't seem to be addressing him anymore. The tone of what she was saying didn't do anything to improve his mood. She appeared out of the blue. And she spoke to him as if she knew him. He let out a sigh, and rose back to his feet. He turned back to the rigid and stiff looking woman as she spoke to whomever. Perhaps they were the voices in her head. That might explain why someone would come out here to face down a monster so... callously. Perhaps she would of had better luck with first impressions if she'd had animals as a child. Another search of his memory and he began to form thoughts. She was here to preform a specific task. And it seemed to him, that the Ilthorians weren't the point, he was. It also occurred to him that she wasn't in charge of the task, she was merely the grunt sent to preform it.

A moment passed, and she would realize that he was standing right next to her. Her attention had shifted away from him slightly, and that was all the opportunity he needed. He stared at her, looking down, since he was taller. His voice emerged from his throat, it was surprisingly smooth. Despite his gruff appearance.

"We've established that neither of us are impressed with the other." His voice, a bit lighter then she was probably expecting.

"But if you have something to tell me. Get on with it, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't waste any of my time with talk of 'jobs' like something you're about to suggest to me requires a W-2 and a stupid hat. Speak plain. And be quick. I'm expecting another alien attack anytime."

He stood his hands on his hips. Staring. An annoyed angry look on his face. But that might of just been the face he always had on.

Comment

Working...
                              X