Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[3e] Pillars Rise and Heroes Fall (Full)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e] Pillars Rise and Heroes Fall (Full)

Awfulmonks Settings Thread

This is my first GM game, and I couldn't be more excited. I've had this Idea for a story for quite a long time, almost a decade. So let me give you what you want to know and then we can go onto story details.

3e PL 11 165pp or PL 10 185 pp, players choice

Tone: I don't really know how to describe - basically most of the time it will be 4 color. But there will be more than a few times it may/will get pretty dark.

I like the Homebrew of AWE + PRE = WILL

Based on popularity I have increased the number of players I will except to 7 or 8.

Story - For 10 years you were apart of one of the greatest super teams the planet had known, while you weren't the strongest the 10 members of the team complimented each others skill greatly. It got to the point where Super Villains feared you and gave up once they knew that you were coming. The world loved you and while you did your best to protect it, the world gave its best to you in return.

Then 3 years ago, your team was called to a desert military base, where a rogue super solider program gone awry was causing havoc, he was powerful. But he wasn't invincible, you fought, you won. But at a price. For as he was knocked into unconsciousness his body exploded. It wasn't immediate and your team wasn't near the blast radius but everything near it was destroyed. You were asked how you could let this happen. You responded that you didn't know - you were just trying to neutralize a threat. The public, knowing your good graces believed you. But a seed of doubt was planted in the media, while largely ignored, the seed grew over time.

6 months later, your team was again called. This time to china, you were asked to assist in the transfer of a large number of Chinese Supervillains from one Prison to another in Russia. 15 in all. However a fault in the Power Suppression Collars created a bloodbath. 13 heroes were killed, including your teammates Luminescent, Ogre and Shade. This was a tragedy like any other. An obvious shock to all of you. Working and fighting together created a bond and just like that, 3 of your members dead.

Another 6 months and 2 members quit, one for love, one for stress.
    2 weeks after they quit you received a tip that they might be targeted from an attack. Investigation showed this was a prank by a few college students, trying to hack into your servers for fun. You confronted and seeing no threat, you dismissed it.
    You were wrong.
    One of your teammates was killed, Sonnet had her throat ripped out on stage by some individual.
    Pillar, he managed to escape, his new wife and daughter however, did not.
    Your team decided to disband. Thinking that whoever did this was in your systems, no one knew who their civilian identities were. You were compromised. Any good you could do was already done.
    2 years later, you receive a video showing Sonnet's death, with the words I'm coming for you.

Please do the following:
    When thinking of a character remember all of you have worked with each other for 8 years. That's a long time.
    Your characters may have developed relationships, quit being a superhero, gotten out of shape. A lot can happen in two years, be creative. I want to create a story here - this isn't a death run I promise.
    I'm going to do something a little different, while I would prefer you have your character backstory figured out, before we start the game id like you all to figure out your relationships with the other players. This won't matter until after recruitment, but I'd like to start off from the beginning of you guys knowing who each other are. There is no introduction posts, maybe catching up if you haven't seen them in awhile but that's it.

Rules:
    For all Rolls post character name in the roll as well as a brief description of what the roll is i.e. Name: Pillar Description: Save Vs. (Enemy name) Intimidation...do this is the roll! Not after.
    For Combat - 1 round will take at most 1 week, 1st time you miss that deadline. I'll do your action for you, usually a move action or a save if necessary, 2nd time I skip your turn. 3rd your out of the game. Exception is if you tell me you won't be able to post until a certain time. In which case that's fine and this rule doesn't apply until a time as such you. (This is 1 week from your initiative, not one week from round start).
    Post Attack in same post as your initiative post in Combat - I don't want to have to go through and look up what the DC is - copy and paste it from your character sheet.
    If an NPC is introduced and your unsure of something - feel free to ask or PM me, we're making up the history of certain people. You would know more than you think in most situations.
    If your hiding something from a player - please pm me what it is.
    PvP is allowed under 1 condition - if you want to go to the Training Room and fight someone. Outside of that; unless they do something incredibly wrong in your characters eyes, i.e taking a hostage or pushing a villain incapable of flight off a plane, PvP is not allowed. Even under those conditions I will intervene and ask the character to ret-con in most situations.
    More rules will be posted here as the game continues.

Exclusions:
    - parallel universes and traveling through them is too much of a world building hassle for me, since it has no relevance to the story I'm going to tell I'd rather not deal with it entirely.
    - no summoning powers - preferably no minions either. Although on these boards I haven't seen anybody use the minion feat so it shouldn't be a problem.
    - Shade was your government liason, so that's off the table, local government is ok though.

Free benefits:
    Everyone (after recruitment is over) gets benefit: (team name) member. It's basically the equivalent of a security clearance.
    Unfortunately you also get it as a flaw. If one character has someone out to get them. You all have that person out to get you as well. (No ones ever like "once I destroy superman the world is mine," no it's "once I destroy the justice league the world is mine")
    Players picked get to choose the name they went by. Unless it's truly awful in which case I'll pick for you. It just might be the mighty ducks.
    You still have a secret base. The technology is about 2 years old, but it's still there. In fact someone may still be living there (oooo spooky)

ASK ME QUESTIONS. I have a bad habit of thinking I gave a bunch of information when in reality I gave the bare minimum - but I think a lot in my head. So if something doesn't make sense please tell me and I will elaborate.

Characters:

Neo-Paladin - Justitia (Super Speed/Enhanced Strength) Part of original team
    dreamking89 - The Reckoner (Undead Gunslinger) Part of original team (Not part of team when first formed, came in later)
    Shock - Samantha Truth (Adept Sorceress)
    Captain Chaos - Jaguar (Magically Imbued Heiress) Not part of original team
    PauloDeWalsho - The Wraith (Elderly Archer Assasin)
    Star Guard - Brawler

Manny - Dr. Geobotany (Biologist/ Geologist Plant/Rock Controller) Part of original team (afk but still welcome)

NPC Members
    Pillar (Former Detective - Gravity Controller)
    Ogre (Scientist - Giant Monster)
    Shade (Government Liason - Super Spy)
    Luminescent (Fashion Diva - Team Leader - Blessed by Athena - Light Controller)
    Sonnet (Singer - Sonic Blaster)

Characters Submitted:
    Gamer Dad - Harrier (Battlesuit Genius Playboy Billionaire) Part of original team
    Marshall - Nightshade (Magical Stealth Assasin/Magic Item Builder) Overwatch - on team but didn't go out in the field
    Cappiman - Revenge (Really angry super-solider?)
    MacynSnow - The Snowman (Enhanced Athlete)
    Last edited by Awfulmonk; 01-07-2017, 02:04 PM.
    GM Pillars Rise and Heroes Fall (OOC) (IC),Setting Notes for Pillars Fall

Games I'm In:
    Emily Whittier aka Arc in Crinoverse: Tales to Astonish

Re: Pillars Rise and Heroes Fall (Interest Check)

This does sound interesting, I would love to see this get off the ground

Comment

Me too. My hope is to horrify players but at the same time to beg me for more. I know this is darker than most games, but still! I'm hoping people are excited as I am

Games I'm In:

Comment

Interested.

Given the detailed set up (and the obvious playability/role restrictions), I feel it only prudent to ask about the former (NPC) teammates.
        How exactly did Sonnet die?
        What was Pillar like before he retired?
        Can we have more generic details on Ogre, Luminescent & Shade?
        What roles did each of them play on the team? How did they get along with each other? (10 years, we all must have found away...even if it doesn't apply anymore).

On another note, now that our team has disbanded who picked up our slack? Who were the team's reoccurring foes? How did our group get together in the first place?

Thank you for your time.

Comment

1) Sonnet was a singer/sonic power user - she was at a indie cafe doing a performance when shadows lurched out towards her grabbing at her throat, the room quickly cleared and from the video it looks like a person appeared behind her, hands replacing shadows, a knife or some sort of blade appeared in hand and proceeded to cut her throat before she even had time to react.
          2) Pillar was, let's be honest here, kind of an asshole. Earlier I said you did your best to protect the world and the world gave you its best, Pillar took advantage of that. Not in an obviouss way though, more of a get meals free or expect free room upgrades kind of a way. He had this persona that he used in public where he genuinely seemed like a nice guy, but over the course of 8 years you saw right through. Until however he met his wife. There was an immediate change, no longer was he putting on his show, he became who he had pretended to be. After he met his wife, he no longer cared about what he could get by being a hero, he was a hero because it was the right thing to do.
          3) yes of course, Luminescent was your team leader, she had been blessed by Atena to be gifted with her powers. Along with her natural ability of archery and her super ability of controlling light, she was a formidable and incredibly smart leader. She used her abilities to essentially be a Hawkeyes, instead of having different arrows however she shot beams of light where upon impact they could either explode, constrict, create a barrier, etc. In her free time Luminescent enjoyed designing and presenting clothing in the fashion industry. She even had her own brand. She was very serious when things were important, but if there was no business to be taken care of, or villain to stop, she'd be the first person to start a party or go out for a drink, or whatever fun thing was happening in town.
          Ogre was what I would call your guys' Hulk, incredibly strong but not all that bright while in his ogre form, dr. Wellenbrock was very charismatic but surprisingly had stage fright, his main focus was developing a way to absorb energy from beings like himself, so that if he (as ogre) ever got out of control, there would be a way to stop him. Of course your team could eventually, but he was always worried about what damage he could do before that could be accomblish. This ultimately led to his death ironically enough, a student heard of his research and attempted to help find a way to absorb his radiation, when an accident happened and he gained the ability to absorb energy, when the fight transporting the 15 individuals started and the doctor shifted to ogre, this student immediately absorbed his radiation, the good doctor wasn't a match.
          Shade, ah shade I felt really bad when I decided he should die as well. Shade is Luminescents brother. The complete opposite of his sibling. His primary skill was recon and infiltration, able to blend into the shadows, he had no powers but used technology to disguise himself. For an accurate description think of Solid Snake. A deep thinker shade was at first hard to get to open up. And he wouldn't have to a whole lot of people. But he was always there when you needed him. He was also your government liaison.
          4) Roles is important and something I meant to include thank you sir.
          Sonnet, pillar and shade were more support roles. Pillar would use his gravity powers to make his foes unable to move, Sonnet would sing and either hypnotize or incapacitate individuals, Shade was a melee fighter, going in between groups and either disarming or using a modified gun to incapacitate foes. Fun thing about shade was he constantly impressed you about how good of a shot he was, but never killed, well as far as you know. And like a I said Luminescent was the team leader, taking a ranged approach and directing you from afar. I would like to clarify that while the roles of the team did matter, they don't anymore. The last time you all worked together was 2 years before this started, things change.
          As far as how you got along...that's up to you, if you want a more detailed description of all the characters, I can give them to you. But keep in mind you've only met half the team. There's still another half waiting to be created. As far as how they got along, Sonnet used to like Pillar and they dated for a bit, but she got tired of his act and called it quits. Shade and luminescent were siblings but it was obvious luminescent was the more well-liked of the two. Sonnet was liked but she could be ditzy so if your character doesn't like that you probably weren't as close with her than you were with others. Shade kept his distance but was reliable. The doctor was liked by all of the members I've listed already, incredibly smart and responsible about himself, he spent a lot of time worrying about his other form, but he never did have a problem with it.

Who picked up the slack - what a wonderful question to ask

Reoccurring foes, that's the thing, I have villains planned for you to fight, but this is as much my story as is mine, so if your character had a villain they could just never put/keep behind bars, bring them in to the story, you'll see them I promise. I have a few and when I time I'll post them in this space.

Rogues Gallery Include
          1) Iron Maiden (not the band)
          2) Hephastus
          3) S.U.P.R.E.M.E
          4) The country of Argonthran (yes you pissed off a whole country)
          5) K.W Incorporated
          6) H.S.G.W
          7) Any villains you would like to bring into your backstory

Allied
          1) Dr. Manifesto (master of magic, leader of of the saints of light, headmaster of magic college)
          2) Saints of Light (magical hero team,
          3) United States of America (of course)
          4) various worldwide super teams (total of 16 hero teams outside of US, only 1 or 2 should come up)
          5) investigative reporters Paula and David Bafus
          6) Any allies you would like to bring in from you backstory (any heroes will be at PL 8 max, and need approval before being allowed in)

Orgin story will be created when Players are chosen.
          Last edited by Awfulmonk; 02-10-2016, 02:05 PM.

Games I'm In:

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why the PL adjustment option as presented ?

PL 11 165pp or PL 10 170 pp, players choice
            Did you mean PL 10/ 180? Otherwise that drop in PL isn`t really worth it...
            [QUOTE=Enigmatic One;178799][FONT=Verdana]Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m9d5ob31w5pfjw/Earth%20218.pdf?dl=0"]Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting[/URL]
            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/28-Blade-s-Third-Edition-Builds?p=109&viewfull=1#post109"]Blade's Builds[/URL]

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1554-The-Merge-3E-(OOC)?p=124944#post124944"]The Merge Character Sheet Lists[/URL]
            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4284-The-Merge-Cosmic-Quandaries-3e-Interest-check?p=167246&viewfull=1#post167246"]The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List[/URL]

Comment

Yes I did thanks for showing me that

Edit: fixed

Games I'm In:

Comment

no prob

I read through your pitch and its interesting. I get a feel like the beginning of the Incredibles... where the age of the hero ends and heroes are pretty much forced into retirement and ordinary law enforcement picks up the slack.

I really liked the notion of Luminescent, Ogre, Pillar, Sonnet (great name for a sound based character!), and Shade. The only hiccough I see is the other side of that notion. You indicate that eventually when characters are pitched that they don`t overlap. Niche protection is good and all, but when you talk about roles are you talking about powersets?

Your character filled a niche with this old team Sonnet, Ogre, Luminescent and Shade all had a specific role. None of the roles overlapped, please keep that in mind. AKA you didn't have 2 hackers on a team, or two shape shifters, or a bunch of charismatic faces to the group.
                Ogre was a powerhouse, Luminescent an energy controller... Does that mean there was no other powerhouse? Your five characters take a lot of archetypes off the table if that`s the case. Overlap of character archetype is a good thing in many cases and Superman and Wonder woman compliment each other even though they are both paragons, Mystique and Beast Boy are both shapeshifters of a different sort... Each still has their role despite their power overlaps...

Forgive me if I sound preachy, I was just looking for clarification of what you are looking for before I pitch in with an interest...
                Last edited by Bladewind; 02-03-2016, 06:42 AM.
                [QUOTE=Enigmatic One;178799][FONT=Verdana]Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m9d5ob31w5pfjw/Earth%20218.pdf?dl=0"]Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting[/URL]
                [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/28-Blade-s-Third-Edition-Builds?p=109&viewfull=1#post109"]Blade's Builds[/URL]

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1554-The-Merge-3E-(OOC)?p=124944#post124944"]The Merge Character Sheet Lists[/URL]
                [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4284-The-Merge-Cosmic-Quandaries-3e-Interest-check?p=167246&viewfull=1#post167246"]The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Bladewind View Post
                  no prob

I read through your pitch and its interesting. I get a feel like the beginning of the Incredibles... where the age of the hero ends and heroes are pretty much forced into retirement and ordinary law enforcement picks up the slack.

I really liked the notion of Luminescent, Ogre, Pillar, Sonnet (great name for a sound based character!), and Shade. The only hiccough I see is the other side of that notion. You indicate that eventually when characters are pitched that they don`t overlap. Niche protection is good and all, but when you talk about roles are you talking about powersets?

Ogre was a powerhouse, Luminescent an energy controller... Does that mean there was no other powerhouse? Your five characters take a lot of archetypes off the table if that`s the case. Overlap of character archetype is a good thing in many cases and Superman and Wonder woman compliment each other even though they are both paragons, Mystique and Beast Boy are both shapeshifters of a different sort... Each still has their role despite their power overlaps...

Forgive me if I sound preachy, I was just looking for clarification of what you are looking for before I pitch in with an interest...
                  This is one of the things where I was talking about - it makes sense in my head, but I didn't explain it well.

But hearing how you describe it - what I was thinking sounds silly. If I was pretending to run the Justice League and two players brought in Wonder Woman and Superman, I would allow it because in my mind I see Superman being an untrained man with powers, while Wonder Woman is a trained warrior with powers. They each fill a niche or a trope. That doesn't mean they necessarily overlap. There is a difference. I realize now players don't know the background as I do of these characters. So with that being said, it would be silly of me to expect you all to get what I am saying. I'll take that out. The odds that someone makes a Sonnet clone isn't very good. However be creative; build who and what you want, if I see a clone of ogre I'll let you know.

Edit: As for the feeling you got of the Incredibles (my favorite superhero movie), your not wrong, but your not right either. This team didn't end because of public outcry against them. They ended more from the fact that they had lost half of their members, felt compromised and decided rather than risking attacks against them from somewhere or someone, they would go their separate ways. I guess it's more The Watchmen feel rather than Incredible's. They're retired, tried to move on from their lives and now out of the blue someone is coming after them.

I would also like to note that If I get more than 5 people I have no problem bringing in new faces. Maybe sidekicks, maybe friends of the original team. It all depends on Interest.
                  Last edited by Awfulmonk; 02-03-2016, 09:24 AM.

Games I'm In:

Comment

This just sounds better and better the more I hear about it

Comment

Thank you! That makes me happy to hear, I've been working on this story since I was 13. It's certainly evolved a lot from the beginnings, but I'd like to think that people will enjoy reading/playing it.

Games I'm In:

Comment

You had me at the word Go,Awful(I've been looking to see how you'd run a game for awhile now!).I think I'll toss in an old Favorite...

THE SNOWMAN(Macyn Snow) PL 10
                        STRENGTH 5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 6 FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2 INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 9

Skills:
                        Acrobatics 4 (+8) Athletics 5 (+10) Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+13) Deception 1 (+4) Persuasion 2 (+5) Intimidation 4 (+6)
                        Investigation 2 (+4) Perception 3 (+5) Expertise (Football Player) 7 (+13) -- (Uses Agility)
                        Expertise (Reporter) 4 (+5) Insight 2 (+4)

Advantages:
                        Defensive Throw, Great Endurance, Equipment (Modified Football Uniform- Protection +4), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Move-By Action, Teamwork, Leadership, Connected

Powers:
                        "Enhanced Physique" Speed 5 (500mph) [1] Leaping 5 (120 feet) [2] "Power Punch" Strength-Damage +7

Offense:
                        Unarmed +11 (+11 Damage, DC 22) Initiative +4

Defenses:
                        Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+8 Costume), Fortitude +8, Will +12

Complications:
                        Responsibility(Ex-Football Superstar)- Macyn Snow was a superstar football player, and losing this aspect of his life still hurts.
                        Motivation(Justice)- Snowman fights evil on behalf of those he let down in his Life,so it’s more like Redemption.He is especially disgusted by drugs,which is what Marco alleged that he was using.
                        Enemy(Marco Sanzionare)- This man Singlehandedly Ended Macyn’s Football Carrer(?),just cause he woundn’t throw a Game and has tried to make his Life a Misery ever since.

Story:
                        Macyn was a Star Football Player for years.What no one Knew was that he was also a Low-Level Mutant that was Being a “Vigilante” at Night(either after Practice or On the Road in whatever city he was in at the Time) and doing quite well for himself.When Marco Sanzionare tried to “make him an offer he couldn’t refuse”,Macyn got a little hot-Headed&almost threw him into the Nose-bleed section of the Arena.That was when Marco started having him attacked in the Press for “super Steroid Use” .He even got Arrested for it,but beat the False Rap.Unfortunatley,he was so Hot that the Team Manager had to let him go.He Currently “Works” for a Sleazy Sports Magazine as an “Expert” on the The Football Field&Hates it(This was the Same Magazine that Started the “Super Steroid” Attack all those years ago).He joined[Insert future Superhero Team name here] when he randomly ran across Luminesent&Shade fighting One of his Foes(The Hunter/Assassin for hire Outlast:Think of him along the lines of Kraven&Deadshot combined) and they started collaborating on bigger threats,thus planting the future seed for[Insert Team Name here]...
                        After the Team Disbanded,Macyn decided that he had done enough Mourning his Friend(and secret Crush)and "Got back on the Field" as it were,Becoming an Independent hero again.He still occasionally run's into the other members of the Team,they even hung out every ounce in a while(He get's along rather well with Justinia,Harrier&Truth but him&Reckoner occasionaly rub each other the Wrong way:Think about their dynamic like second generation X-Men Cyclopes&Wolverine).After receiving the Anonymus Video,Macyn's trying to get back in contact with anyone he can&make sure their OK(He's even trying to Contact Reckoner..)...
                        RP NOTES:
                        After what happened to the Team(He harbored a Secret Crush on Luminescent and was Devestated with her Death,blaming himself for not being able to save her:He actually got along rather well with her Brother,too...),Macyn went into Seclusion&only recently has come out.I have it in my head that he joined the team when he got mixed-up in one of their Fights.
                        Last edited by MacynSnow; 02-11-2016, 08:26 AM.
                        Originally posted by Bladewind
                        Lightsabers don`t kill people. People wielding lightsabers kill people.

Comment

I appreciate the enthusiasm man - I will say I'm not quite ready for character builds yet as I'm still in interest. But I like the complications you added to Snowman

Games I'm In:

Comment

Originally posted by Awfulmonk View Post
                            I appreciate the enthusiasm man - I will say I'm not quite ready for character builds yet as I'm still in interest. But I like the complications you added to Snowman
                            thanks,I thought I'd change him around a little(seeing as it's a new setting and all...).And I always liked that Idea of a Captain America-type of hero that doesn't have all that much Baggage...
                            Originally posted by Bladewind
                            Lightsabers don`t kill people. People wielding lightsabers kill people.

Comment

Definitely interested in this one

Comment

Working...
                              X