The Call To Adventure" [M&M 3E, alternate Freedom City] Closed to Recruitment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zen_Gypsy View Post
    Certainly interested. I'll likely work on a build and have it posted later on this evening or tomorrow morning. However, I do have some input on the Protection changes, while 2 points per seems slightly more expensive than the standard ratio of 1:1 for other defenses. I get that it is an attempt to balance it against Dodge & Parry but I think you should keep Defensive Roll at 1 pt. As it is essentially 1 Point of Protection [2 pts] with the [-1] Limit: Fails if denied Dodge Bonus.

Not sure what archetype I am going to go with, with points up to 180, it does help the skill monkies, so I may go with some sort of Combat Suited Crime Fighter for fun!
    Hey Zen! Actually, I AM balancing Protection vs. the 'Defensive Roll' advantage, which costs 1pp but, limits the character via mobility and awareness. If DR is 1pp, how can Protection cost the same? It's a thing that's come up in discussion on the forums now & again. Plus, Protection is THE primary means of defense vs. Damage and thus, it SHOULD cost more due to its VALUE.

It doesn't make sense to make DR cost less, so Protection needs to stay at 2pp per rank. If it'll make you feel better, I can roll 'Impervious' back to the 2e standard (damage ranks less than the Impervious rank are ignored by the character - Impervious ranks would be limited to the Toughness rank).
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1243-My-Dream-House"]My Dream House[/URL]

Comment

Yeah, my last post was a phone one and halfway through I realised what you'd done. 2E Impervious works, I generally limit Impervious to 1/2 PL unless it's limited in some way, like Physical, Energy, Fire, etc. and even then only up to PL.

Either way, Impervious doesn't weigh heavy in my build, and I'll likely just stay +0 as far as Dodge/Parry-Toughness tradeoff.

Thanks for sharing your thought process though!

Comment

Yeah, my last post was a phone one and halfway through I realised what you'd done. 2E Impervious works, I generally limit Impervious to 1/2 PL unless it's limited in some way, like Physical, Energy, Fire, etc. and even then only up to PL.

Either way, Impervious doesn't weigh heavy in my build, and I'll likely just stay +0 as far as Dodge/Parry-Toughness tradeoff.

Thanks for sharing your thought process though!
        Cool. So we're working Impervious as 2e.

Comment

Ran into a situation where I can load up the page from work, or from my phone when using data, however, when connected to the wireless at home the page won't load. And sadly, my character sheet is saved in Herolab on the home computer, has anyone else run into a similar situation?

Comment

Originally posted by dream View Post
            It doesn't make sense to make DR cost less, so Protection needs to stay at 2pp per rank. If it'll make you feel better, I can roll 'Impervious' back to the 2e standard (damage ranks less than the Impervious rank are ignored by the character - Impervious ranks would be limited to the Toughness rank).
            DR costs the same as Protection because it is meant for non-supers. A lame reason. But I'm sure that's the reason. Street level characters are supposed to take DR because they cannot justify high Stamina or the Protection power.

Personally, Protection should not be 2ppr. That's more expensive than normal defenses. The better fix is to eliminate the exist DR advantage and create a DR power: Protection, Limited: Must be aware of attack. That makes DR cost 1/2 ppr. YMMV.

Comment

Oh, I'm for sure interested. I'm thinking about doing a Black Panther meets Iron Fist type character.

Anything I should know about this alternate version of Freedom City?
              What has four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon and three legs in the evening? I don't know, but I trapped it in my bedroom. Send help.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamking89 View Post
                Oh, I'm for sure interested. I'm thinking about doing a Black Panther meets Iron Fist type character.

Anything I should know about this alternate version of Freedom City?
                Hey Dreamking! That kind of hero works. For all intents and purposes, it's a modern Freedom City but I'm using the M&M 2e setting book. You can add changes to the setting if you like.

Comment

1368588970180.png

Grasshopper
                  Name: Jinshu Feng

Eye Color: Green
                  Hair Color: Black
                  Base of Operations: Freedom City (currently)
                  Legal Status: Diplomat Visa
                  Family: Jinshu Hu (Father, Deseased), Jinshu Shang (uncle), Jinshu Long (younger brother), Jinshu Chung (mother)
                  Ethnicity: Chinese
                  Occupation: Deposed Prince of Yushan, Graduate of Claremont Academy Class of 2019, Former member of Next-Gen

Backstory: Jinshu Feng was born in a land most believed to be just a legend. While some stories called Feng's homeland Shangri-La, his people refer to his homeland as Yushan: a small country that sits on China's Northern boarder. While Yushan only takes up a small mountain valley, what makes Yushan special is a mineral roughly translated as "Celestial Iron". Celestial Iron has the ability to absorb and redirect large amounts of kinetic energy, and has allowed Yushan to become one of the most technologically advanced nations on Earth, rivaling that of Dakana.

Five years ago, Feng was on track to ruling this wondrous nation. His father, the Steel Emperor, had given Feng the title of Grasshopper: the ceremonial title given to the heir to the throne and the personal student of the Emperor of Yushan. He had been personally tutored by his father in martial arts, statecraft and the operation of Yushan technology and was looking to become a wise and just Emperor upon his eighteenth birthday. Feng did not count, however, on his uncle: Jinshu Shang.

Shang was the former leader of a 'black ops' organization within the Yushan military: the Deadly Venoms Clan. Shang held the title of Grasshopper when Feng's grandfather was still alive, but Shang's lust for power resulted in his banishment from the country. Learning forbidden kung fu techniques from around the world, Shang built his own suit and dubbed himself the Black Centipede. Shortly before Feng's 15th birthday, the Black Centipede returned to Yushan and led a coup against the Imperial Family, eventually culminating in Shang challenging the Emperor to mortal combat. Feng's wicked uncle murdered the Emperor in a duel to the death and took the throne of Yushan for himself. Fortunately, Feng was able to escape his homeland with his mother and younger brother. The deposed Imperial Family made their way to America, where they were able to set up a life for themselves within Freedom City. During this time, Feng began going to school at Claremont Academy, knowing that he would one day have to return to his homeland and take back the throne that is rightfully his.

It has been five years since then, Feng should have ascended to the Imperial Throne a year ago, but the Black Centepide still rules Yushan with an iron fist. Feng had faced several of his uncle's assassin's during his time in Next-Gen and was always able to defeat them thanks to his friends and classmates. Now that he has graduated, Feng knows he must return to face his uncle soon, but he fears he is not strong enough. He has been working as a solo-hero within Freedom City now for a few months, preparing himself for the battle that will one day kill him or make him Emperor.

Crunch:
                  Grasshopper - PL 10

Strength 7, Stamina 4, Agility 3, Dexterity 0, Fighting 6, Intellect 4, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Advantages
                  Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Benefit, Status: Deposed Prince of Yushan, Benefit, Wealth 2 (independently wealthy), Defensive Attack, Evasion 2, Fast Grab, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Improvised Weapon 3, Instant Up, Inventor, Move-by Action, Prone Fighting, Takedown 2

Skills
                  Acrobatics 9 (+12), Athletics 3 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 7 (+13), Expertise: Language (English, Cantonese)) 1 (+5), Expertise: World Politics 5 (+9), Insight 4 (+5), Intimidation 6 (+7), Investigation 4 (+8), Perception 7 (+8), Persuasion 6 (+7), Stealth 2 (+5), Technology 6 (+10)

Powers
                  Celestial Kung Fu Styles
                  Iron Wasp Style (Insidious, Multiattack)
                  Rushing Ox Style: Strength-based Damage 7 (DC 29)
                  Watchful Serpent Style: Affliction 10 (1st degree: Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Resisted by: Will, DC 20; Increased Range 2: perception, Insidious, Subtle: subtle; Limited: To Grasshopper's Attacks, Limited Degree)
                  Grasshopper Armor (Removable)
                  Celestial Iron Plating: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness)
                  Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Strength 5 (+5 STR)
                  Ocular Enhancing Helmet: Senses 7 (Acute (Type): Vision, Analytical (Type): Vision, Darkvision, Infravision)
                  Spiderfoot Boots: Movement 2 (Wall-crawling 2: full speed)
                  Tutored by the Steel Emperor
                  Diving Cat Style: Movement 1 (Safe Fall)
                  Soaring Monkey Style: Leaping 6 (Leap 500 feet at 120 miles/hour; Acrobatics Check Required)
                  Swift Mole Style: Senses 2 (Accurate: Hearing)

Offense
                  Initiative +11
                  Grab, +6 (DC Spec 17)
                  Rushing Ox Style: Strength-based Damage 7, +6 (DC 29)
                  Throw, +0 (DC 22)
                  Unarmed, +13 (DC 22)
                  Watchful Serpent Style: Affliction 10 (DC Will 20)

Languages
                  English, Cantonese

Defense
                  Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 10, Toughness 8, Will 10

Power Points
                  Abilities 42 + Powers 49 + Advantages 21 + Skills 30 (60 ranks) + Defenses 30 = 172

Complications:

Enemy- Jinshu Shang, the Black Centipede (aka: Oh, That's My Uncle!): Jinshu Shang held the title of Grasshopper when Feng was just a baby. However, when his lust for power became apparent, Shang's father (Feng's grandfather) banished him from Yushan, making Feng's father the heir to the throne. Since then, Jinshu Shang has taken the mantle of the Centepide, making his own suit and learning forbidden kung fu techniques to return to Yushan and murder his brother for the throne. Feng has vowed to one day return and take the throne back.
                  You will be awake, you will be facing me, and you will be armed.: Grasshopper is loathe to fight any opponent unfairly, especially if he's been challenged to a one-on-one fight. Before fighting someone, he will usually make sure that said opponent is at his full strength (or closest to full strength possible).
                  Motivation: Revenge/Becoming Stronger: Jinshu Feng saw his father die at the hands of his uncle, one of the greatest kung fu masters alive. He seeks to defeat his uncle and take his rightful place as the Steel Emperor of Yushan. However, he constantly questions if he is truly ready or worthy, and is constantly looking for ways to increase his own martial arts skill.
                  Relationship- Jinshu Chun: Chun is Feng's mother, and some of the only family that she has left. She currently living in a modest apartment in Freedom City with Feng's younger brother.
                  Relationship- Jinshu Long: Long is Feng's younger brother, a technological prodigy thanks to his schooling within the Palace of Yushan. During the coup where his father lost his life, an explosion in his lab caused Long to lose his hands. Fortunately, Long was able to replace them with Celestial Iron prosthetics. He is only about 12, but he is a technological genius. He currently lives in Freedom City with his mother and attends school at the Claremont Academy.
                  Relationship- Next-Gen: Grasshopper was a member of Next-Gen for nearly his entire time at Claremont Academy. He considers his former teammates to be some of his best friends.
                  Wanted- Deposed Prince of Yushan: Grasshopper's uncle is the current ruler of Yushan. He wishes his nephew dead in order to cement his rule of the country. This makes Feng a target for assassination attempts, from those seeking money or the favor of the current Steel Emperor.
                  Protector of the Weak: Grasshopper understands that as the future monarch of Yushan, it is his responsability to protect the weak. This means he will not stand for bullies, and will intervene in some way if he sees someone getting picked on (though not necessarily with physical combat).
                  Last edited by dreamking89; 06-07-2019, 11:04 PM.
                  What has four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon and three legs in the evening? I don't know, but I trapped it in my bedroom. Send help.

Comment

Ran into a situation where I can load up the page from work, or from my phone when using data, however, when connected to the wireless at home the page won't load. And sadly, my character sheet is saved in Herolab on the home computer, has anyone else run into a similar situation?
                    Yes, it means the IP for your wireless at home has been blocked. Cutting and pasting from other programs, even a notepad, into a forum post here can make your post look like spam or malicious code and result in said blocking. I've had it happen and had it straightened out by contacting GR via Facebook. This was before the upgrade, so it could be something different, but it sounds the same.

Comment

Well that bites.

Comment

Actually, the spam filter here hates equal signs and similar characters. Remove them and it should go through. Or export from Hero Lab as text (or BBCode) and mail the file to work.

Comment

This = "equals" as spam?

Comment

Yes, when there are numbers around it............. sometimes. It's very weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Mask View Post
                              This = "equals" as spam?
                              The running theory is that it trips some filter looking for code injection.
                              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
                              [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Well they got it taken care of for me inside of 12 hours, so I appreciate that! However, it looks like I am going to scrap my Armored Crime Fighter idea, since it is very redundent with Dreamking's submission. I'll think on it and have something up tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                                X