No announcement yet.

The Call To Adventure" [M&M 3E, alternate Freedom City] Closed to Recruitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Call To Adventure" [M&M 3E, alternate Freedom City] Closed to Recruitment

Wow. The gaming's really dropped off here. The new forum is --- different. Guess we lost some folks.

Oh well, I've been lurking & gaming here since 2010 when it was the original Think Tank. I literally learned Mutants & Masterminds 2nd & 3rd editions here with the help of folks like Fuzzy, JDRook, Epic, Davies, and others. I played (some) and ran games (that usually tapered off). Since then I've learned some lessons taking my PbP game up a notch - the first being "completing an adventure is both crucial, and FUN."

So. I want to run something that will probably take 6-8 months to complete, based on my pace (another lesson I learned). Blurb-o-sphere below:

1. What game system are you running and, if applicable, what edition? M&M 3rd Edition

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi")? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? New superheroes emerging in an alternate Freedom City (Summer of 2019)

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 6-7

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? Right here in the Green Army's Game Room

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? PL10, Unlimited Points (this means try and keep the total under 180, please)

6. How much starting funds will the characters begin with? Up to the player

7. Are there any particular professions that you want... or do not want? Any profession works

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Any species

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes and abilities? Point Buy or random-roll using the M&M Deluxe Hero's Handbook (I can help if you don't have it and prefer random)

10. Does your game use alignment? Any from patriotic boy-scouts like Captain America or Superman, to grim rebels like Batman and Wolverine. Killing is frowned upon, but it happens (just keep it clean)

11. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Players make most of your rolls; I roll for NPCs and I make rolls regarding PC Invention, Ritual Magic, Perception, Insight, and Persuasion. Orokos.com is my favored dice-rolling site (they document EVERYTHING so, if needed, players can fact-check me).

12. What is the mood of your adventure? What kinds of powers are allowed? Greyscale: I throw a lot of humor out there coupled with some near-cringeworthy material. I'll try to avoid offending you but, I'll push the edge. Pretty much any power-set is okay but, we'll discuss it.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. Yes & see below

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? The PCs should be Freedom City locals. They can be from the city or anywhere else. I like "deeper" backgrounds that allow me to snatch story pieces for my adventures. So, the more you give me, the more "personal" I can make your experience. But, having a paragraph of backstory works just as well.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? A combination, meaning balanced PCs will be more effective.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Any M&M 3rd Edition material, with the Power Profiles being approved 'case-by-case'.

ABILITIES:
    • I'll be performing Presence-based Persuasion checks whenever PCs encounter an unknown NPC, PLUS, every 2 ranks of Presence will confer a FREE Presence-related Advantage (e.g., Attractive, Fascinate, or Taunt). So, Presence gets some "teeth".

ADVANTAGES:
    • Uncanny Dodge is prohibited
    • Takedown: 1 rank impacts Minions at Close range and 2 ranks can impact Minions with Ranged or Perception attacks
    • Agile Feint allows a character to perform a Feint as a Move action
    • Move-By Action is the default means of Movement (any character can move, perform an action, then move again as long as their maximum movement for the turn isn't exceeded)
    • Combat Maneuvers and their related Advantages (i.e. Power Attack and All-Out Attack) cannot be used simultaneously
    • Chokehold is a Combat Maneuver instead of an Advantage
    • Grabbing Finesse is based on Fighting instead of Dexterity
    • Languages becomes a Skill with each rank providing two languages
    • Trance requires a ROUND of uninterrupted concentration and a DC15 WILL check

EFFECTS:
    • Environment is resisted by a related check (Parry for movement and Perception for awareness)
    • Protection cost 2 power points per rank, instead of 1
    • Move Object is resisted by Dodge against Ranged/Perception-based attacks
    • The Teleport modifier "accurate" is prohibited
    • Senses: Precognition and Movement: Time-travel automatically carry the "uncontrollable" flaw (for GM oversight)
    • Knockback is in play for Blunt/Force attacks: the distance a target is knocked away from the attack is (Damage rank - [Toughness rank +2] = distance rank).

As GM, I reserve the right to veto any power that I feel violates M&M 3rd 'Rules as Intended' standards.

NOW. These house-rules are more what'd you call guidelines than actual rules. If you're interested in the adventure but, don't like my rule(s), just say so. I'm not married to them (while --- I do enjoy looking into their eyes time & again). I'd rather change or drop an edit than lose a player (normally).

That's a lot I know. I'm a goof so feel free to approach me with questions and concerns here. I wont bite your head off (usually) and the adventure is simply waiting for you (complete).

My GM Style? I kill PCs and convert the corpses into platinum.

Just kidding.

Expect the unexpected with me. It's my fun.
    Last edited by dream; 13th June 2019, 07:23 AM.
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1243-My-Dream-House"]My Dream House[/URL]

Oh yeah:

I like players to post AT LEAST once a day. It gets us to the climax & finish faster. Saturdays & Sundays are post-free.

Comment

I don't know if I have the free time to be in another game, bit thanks for the shout-out. Was that the username you used on the ATT?

And I have your game listed on the Echoes of the Multiverse alternate site, but the Games Thread here is acting up, leaving me unable to modify the post.
      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
      [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Neutron
        Alias: LP.
        Profession: Former handyman turned full time superhero.
        Ethnicity: African American.
        Height: 5' 11"
        Weight: 190 lbs.
        Hair: Black (almost always shaved bald).
        Eyes: Black.
        Place Of Birth: Freedom City, USA.
        Religion: Baptist.
        Identity: Public.
        Group Affiliation: Independent.
        Base Of Operations: Freedom City.
        Legal Status: American citizen with no criminal record.
        Marital Status: Divorced.
        Family: Walter (father, deceased), Glenda (mother, deceased), Devin (son), Tanya (ex-wife).
        Education: High School Graduate.
        Quote: "It's time to be a hero!"
        Power Level - 10
        Power Points - 180
        Hero Point - 1
        Concept - Energy Controller.
        Bodycast - Israel Idonije.
        Celebrity Voiceover - Michael Dorn.
        Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlwIBftrvIA

Abilities -

Strength - 3
        Stamina - 3
        Agility - 3
        Dexterity - 0
        Fighting - 3
        Intellect - 0
        Awareness - 2
        Presence - 3

Advantages - All-out Attack, Benefit 1 (Status - As a publicly known superhero), Defensive Attack, Evasion 2, Favored Environment (Airborne), Instant Up, Interpose, Precise Attack 1 (Ranged, Cover), Teamwork.

Skills - Ranged Combat: Energy Control (Plasma) 5 (+0), Expertise - Current Events 6 (+0), Intimidation 7 (+10), Acrobatics 4 (+7), Athletics 4 (+7), Insight 4 (+6), Persuasion 4 (+7).

Powers - Note - All powers have the Plasma Descriptor.

Energy Control (Plasma) Array (25 points) with 3 Alternate Effects. =

Base power - Pinpoint Blast - Ranged Damage (Plasma) 12, Extra - Precise. (25 pp)

Alternate Effect - Energy Manipulation - Deflect 12, Extras - Reflect, Redirect. Flaw - Limited to energy attacks. (1 pp)

Alternate Effect - Neutrino Energy Burst - Burst Area Damage (Plasma) 10, Extra - Penetrating 4. (1 pp)

Alternate Effect - Dazzle - Ranged Affliction 12, (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Impaired, Disabled, Unaware), Extra - Cumulative, Flaw - Limited to one sense (vision). (1 pp)

Energy Immunity - Immunity 5 (Plasma damage). (5 pp)

Plasma Force Field - Protection 10, Extras - Impervious, Sustained. (30 pp)

Energy Sense - Senses (Mental) 1 (Energy Type Awareness). (1 pp)

Plasma Energy Form - Insubstantial 3 (Plasma), Flaw - Activation (Move Action). (14 pp)

Flight 7 (250 mph, 2640 ft/Rd.). (14 pp)

Offense - Initiative +3, Energy Control +5, Unarmed +3, Grab +3, Ranged Damage 12, Burst Area Damage 10, Dazzle 12 (Resistance Check = Fort. vs 22), Close Damage 3.

Defense - Dodge +4/7, Parry +2/5, Fortitude +5/8, Toughness +3/*13, Will +6/8

* - Only when Plasma Force Field is activated.

Complications -

Motivation (Responsibility) = Neutron is quite aware of the potential collateral damage his powers can cause and so must control himself during combats. He also tries to be as heroic as possible, hoping to set a good example for the people of America.

Motivation (Acceptance) = Despite his fame and good deeds, Neutron is regarded as a "sell out" by many if not most of the people in the West End area in Freedom City, his hometown. Thus he seeks to gain their respect.

Fame = Neutron's "secret" identity as Lloyd E. Price is well known across the country and thus must deal with the pressures and problems that fame often brings.

Relationships = Several people define Lloyd's life for better or worse -

Tanya Cooper (ex-wife), Devin (8 year old son). Though divorced and rarely sees his son, Neutron still looks after their best interests.

Corrina Cadeau ( His agent. See history below.).

Reverend Darren Morris ( His pastor in the Holy Divinity Church back home in The West End. Neutron counts him as a close friend and adviser although he does not go to the church as often as he would have liked, not wanting to bring trouble to the church such as supervillains seeking vengeance or pesky paparazzi.)

Enemy = Blackstar (from the Cosmic Handbook pages 101-104). He and Neutron had clashed several times and are bitter foes. Blackstar had made the enmity between them even worse by publicly threatening to kill Neutron's son.

Plasma Field Disruption = Neutron can be stunned and contained via intense electromagnetic fields. Even his ​energized form​​​​​​ can be grounded through this manner​, causing him great harm.​​​​​

Powers -

Neutron can create, shape and manipulate plasma, a state of matter consisting of highly ionized and super heated white gaseous-like energy of low density. He uses the plasma for various effects such as creating an energy blast similar to heat lasers or to release the blast over a wider area, a glowing plasma force field around his body and intensely bright bursts of light.

Neutron can also transform his entire body into pure plasma energy and can even manipulate other forms of energy by channeling and altering its direction. This type of energy manipulation also allows him to fly.

Neutron can resist plasma energy damage including his own and has a kind of "sixth sense" for detecting types of energy nearby.

Neutron in his plasma energy form:

History -

Lloyd Price never seemed to have all the lucky breaks after high school especially living in The West End neighborhood of Freedom City despite a promising career in football. But the talent scouts who sometimes attended the high school football games never bothered with Lloyd. Not affording a college education was one strike against him while holding down menial jobs to barely make ends meet was another. Facing a bitter (and costly) divorce and child custody battle, Lloyd swallowed his pride and took a shady job with no questions asked for a equally shady company called PureTek.

Lloyd was supposed to transport some containers of toxic waste to an illegal dump site. He was led to believe by his employers that it was somewhere at sea, far off the coast of Freedom City. But when he found out the site was actually located at Hawkins Lawn, a public park right near the Trinity Hospital in West End, he outright refused to continue and go along with the whole damn thing and threatened to go to the police...

...And almost got his body riddled with bullets for his noble though rash defiance as he quickly jumped out the way. There was an sudden explosion, some glowing goo from the ruptured steel drum canisters, intense white-hot energy...then screams as Lloyd suddenly hovered in mid air and then flew straight at the gunmen in rage, his body glowing with the same intense white energies.

To this day, no one not even Lloyd knew how he gained superpowers (was it because of the radiation of the toxic waste, latent mutant genes or something else entirely?) but he knew after talking to his pastor he was given them for a reason. He helped the FBI and the city's district attorney turned states evidence against PureTek and shut down their illegal operations.

Shortly afterwards Lloyd made his first public appearance as Neutron (He had chosen the name at the last minute, based on his misunderstanding on how energy physics actually worked.) when he saved several people from the deadly Blackstar who nearly caused an downtown office building to collapse on them while attempting to steal a prototype portable energy cell. They fought each other to a standstill before Blackstar fled the area when AEGIS agents showed up in force.

One of the civilians he had saved was an aspiring fashion designer/advertising consultant named Corrina Cadeau who in gratitude created a new black and white costume for Neutron to replace the drab hooded leather duster and khakis ensemble he was wearing during the fight with Blackstar.

She also made him her first client for her new PR company, CC Promotions, promoting and licensing his name and image for endorsements such as his own comic book series in Castle Comics and the Neutronix Wheat Pops™ breakfast cereal and Neutron Energy Drink™ from the Fordham Foods company.

Of course most of the money he makes goes to various charities throughout the country and to his family while saving just enough to support himself.

While Lloyd was not entirely comfortable with all of this somewhat shameless media exposure and knows that other superheroes would (perhaps rightly) accuse him of being a corporate shill, he reluctantly realized that given the present day and age of constant web blogs, one needed all the good press one can get.

Personality -

Even though he has fame and fortune, Neutron remains at heart a stoic and level headed hero and so far resisted the lure of materialism which killed the minds and souls of other commercially endorsed superheroes a dollar at a time. Neutron can come across as an old fashioned stick in the mud, a throwback to the days where having superpowers meant responsibility not entitlement but that's how Neutron rolls. He doesn't agree with everything he is made to do for the sake of publicity but he has enough dignity to turn down offers if they even remotely had a hint of illegality.

Behind closed doors however, he lives a life of lonely solitude. Neutron knows that any woman interested in him just wants his money (most of which he gives away to charity.) and hoping that fame would rub off them so he keeps his distance. He doesn't know what to make of all this. From out of abject poverty, he has become one of the most recognized superhumans in the country, a role model for thousands of kids. People who wouldn't given him the spare change from their pockets now envy him. He can go anywhere, do anything. For once he can look down on the world and everyone else is looking up.

But he found that fame was a unbearable prison and because he is often hounded by adoring fans, sleazy managers wanting him to sign on the dotted lines of numerous contracts and supervillains looking to make their mark on history by fighting or killing Neutron, he sometimes wishes he was a nobody.

But as long as the world needs him, then he'll be ready as ever even if it means posing for autographed selfies.

Abilities - 34, Powers - 72, Advantages - 10, Skills - 17, Defenses - 17, = 180 total
        Last edited by Shadow Mask; 2nd June 2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I am interested but I can't guarrantee being able to post once a day. Most days I can but not all.

Comment

@Fuzzy; my old name was Kevin MacTaggert. For some reason I couldn't transfer it to the new RoninArmy forum.

Shadow Mask; very nice superhero but he's missing a major weakness. Maybe I missed it.

CaptainChaos; I can change the posting schedule for players. Does 3 posts a week work?

Comment

Wow again. It takes that long for a post to register? Can SassyRonin fix that?

Does this site have a link allowing users to fund it? More $$$ = better performance usually. I'd be willing to fund the site for faster PbP activity.

Comment

Originally posted by dream View Post
                Wow again. It takes that long for a post to register? Can SassyRonin fix that?.
                My understanding is that that's just for new posters, to cut down on spammers. It is annoying, though.
                [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
                [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by dream View Post
                  Does this site have a link allowing users to fund it? More $$$ = better performance usually. I'd be willing to fund the site for faster PbP activity.
                  Good luck with that. As for me, i'm not paying a dime just to beta test a forum thats broken. Thats GR's job not ours.

Comment

I would be much more interested in this if the recent update hadn't completely borked the forums. Even now, the Gaming Room subforum shows this thread as having 0 responses, and the other threads aren't necessarily in accurate order. I wish I could hope it would get better, but the so-called upgrade was a month ago and if anything things are getting worse not better. Good luck, and good gaming to those who can actually get the forums to work.

>ETA: And in trying to post this, I get the 'Invalid Server Response' pop-up that others have reported. Back to Echoes for me.

Comment

A question: in your post with the game information, you mention Abilities generated with either point buy or random role. I do not see those options in the M&M 3rd edition Heroes Handbook. Only the normal 2 pp per 1 point of Ability.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainChaos View Post
                        A question: in your post with the game information, you mention Abilities generated with either point buy or random role. I do not see those options in the M&M 3rd edition Heroes Handbook. Only the normal 2 pp per 1 point of Ability.
                        The Deluxe Hero's Handbook has random tables. I probably forgot to list it as a resource.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post

My understanding is that that's just for new posters, to cut down on spammers. It is annoying, though.
                          Very. I keep getting an error message with each post.

Comment

Hmm, I don't have the deluxe version of the Heroes Handbook. That would explain why I don't see that information.

Comment

Certainly interested. I'll likely work on a build and have it posted later on this evening or tomorrow morning. However, I do have some input on the Protection changes, while 2 points per seems slightly more expensive than the standard ratio of 1:1 for other defenses. I get that it is an attempt to balance it against Dodge & Parry but I think you should keep Defensive Roll at 1 pt. As it is essentially 1 Point of Protection [2 pts] with the [-1] Limit: Fails if denied Dodge Bonus.

Not sure what archetype I am going to go with, with points up to 180, it does help the skill monkies, so I may go with some sort of Combat Suited Crime Fighter for fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X