Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fox in the Hole (One Shot) IC Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [3e IC] Fox in the Hole (One Shot) IC Thread



    Your day begins normally. For three of you (Breach, Scylla, and Massari), this means another day in your enhanced cells at the Ace County Penitentiary, Enhanced Cell Block. They are just large enough to be constitutional and have countermeasures tailored to each of your powers. At six AM sharp, the wake-up call was given. At 6:07 AM, a group of rather angry looking police officers in enhanced strike gear surround your cells. On the other hand, Vincent began his day preparing to sell some goods he 'found' after talking to an ancestor of a client of his. Coins are not particularly valuable, but appreciate considerably when they are two hundred years old. The buyer, Pietro Tarquinn, arrived ten minutes before the expected time. Punctuality is something unappreciated in the fencing profession, so this was a pleasant surprise. What wasn't a pleasant surprise was the handcuffs and magic dampeners placed on your body after the exchange.

    Everyone is bound, gagged, blinded, and placed into an unmarked van (separate). The trip time varies for each of you, but takes about half an hour on average.You are taken from your respective vans and taken into a building. It takes a moment for your eyes to adjust as the black bags are taken off of your heads. Each of you have power dampeners placed on your person. Breach has a specialized eye patch designed to prevent her from seeing with her augmented eye (against several laws as your lawyer has mentioned). As you look around more carefully, you notice you are in an abandoned warehouse. There is a thick layer of dust covering the floor, the rafters are filled with cobwebs, and there is a rotting plant matter smell, like compost. Light filters through the gaps in the ceiling. This light perfectly illuminates the 12 police officers currently pointing assault weapons at you all.



    Each of you is seated in a chair in front of a long metal table. On the table is a dossier on each of you, detailing your crimes (OOC: I will leave those details to you). In a chair, sitting a few feet from the other side of the table, is a middle-aged man. From his badge, you know he is a cop, and from his business casual dress, you know he is a detective. He seems fit enough that he would pass a physical, but probably not a weight lifter. As he sees each of you gauge your surroundings, he introduces himself.

    "My name is Detective Breckenridge. I am with the Ace County Police Department, Vice Squad. I have an offer for each of you. As you will note in your records, each of you is set to spend a very, very long time in prison. For some of you, I can change that" He looks at Scylla and Poltergeist. "For others, I can significantly shorten your sentence." He looks at Breach. "And for some, I can make your long stay much more comfortable." He looks at Massari. "Much of this is negotiable, but the job is not. I need your help. It is in your best interest to provide it."

    Today will be an interesting day.
    Fox in the Hole: GM
    A Call to Adventure: Arcanum

  • #2
    The Occultist | Vincent Katz
    Status: Fine
    HP: 1
    -~-

    "Ah... I should've known. Things had been going rather well for me as of late. Was I cursed from birth, or something? Tch..." The man flares down at the papers in front of him, trying his best to sort through them. "My, you really have been thorough haven't you? Do you have ghosts on your side too, hn? Ghosts can't provide reasonable testimony, you know-" He cuts off, and frowns at one of the files. "Ah, you have actual evidence.. How in the hell did you... Ah. It was her wasn't it? That damn..."

    Only a few more seconds of semi-silent fuming were had, before he through his head back with an exaggerated sigh of defeat. "Well... I suppose whatever the hell you've brought me here for is better then being shoved into a binding circle for the the next several decades. I only have so much longer before this body of mine fails, you know. Rather not waste it."

    Righting himself in his chair, he noted the suffering silence inside his soul. Even the spirits he has chained to him seem to understand the situation they were all in with him. Elbows on the table, he leaned his chin into his hands as best he could, before sparing a glance at the woman beside him. Well, two woman and... A thing. "Seems you've gathered us into quite an interesting little group of delinquents, hm?"
    I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

    Comment


    • #3
      Massari the Alien Hedonist
      HP: 1
      Status: Puzzled
      ~~~

      Once the black bag is taken off of her head, the Va'kar sniffs the air in fascination. "What an interesting place.~"

      The people-creatures beside her especially piques her interest.

      After Detective Breckenridge has put forward his offer, Massari objects, "Hey now, why can't you shorten my 'sentence' too? I was just playing around and having a little fun.~ I had no idea you primitives would be unable to reassemble the people I played with."

      Without missing a beat, she continues. "Also, how comfortable are we talking?~ The 'cell' you put me in is rather small and lackluster, and I get awfully lonely being in there by myself."

      Comment


      • #4
        Breach looks around and through the walls to try to figure out where they might located. She also looks down to see if there's any open space below her. While looking through the table, she is curious if the detective is holding anything interesting.

        "Then why don't you start with what the job is and we'll see just how negotiable things are."

        perception: 1d20+10 26 (if needed)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post
          Breach looks around and through the walls to try to figure out where they might located. She also looks down to see if there's any open space below her. While looking through the table, she is curious if the detective is holding anything interesting.

          [...]

          perception: 1d20+10 26 (if needed)
          Unfortunately, the patch placed over your augmented eye seems to have blocked all vision. You aren't certain what it is made of, but it must be amazing stuff to prevent your eye from penetrating it. You vaguely remember your lawyer telling the warden that this was illegal as it induced a disability upon you. This detective definitely didn't get the memo.

          Regardless, your other eye has a clear view of the location. The building is about thirty feet tall from the floor to the rafters. The dust makes it clear that the place has been unoccupied for the better part of a year. The police officers, who are politely pointing their guns in your direction, are outfitted with Enhanced Tactical gear. It wouldn't make a single officer a threat to someone of your ability and training, but 12 of them is an entirely different story. (DC 15: You know the equipment they wear gives them enhanced speed and toughness. The equipment, however, requires acceleration and so a police officer will take about 12 seconds to reach the top speed of 60 MPH). 8 of the officers have assault rifles and the other four have shotguns.

          Detective Breckenridge hasn't showered in a day. This may be because of whatever job he is working at.

          Originally posted by Sriseru
          After Detective Breckenridge has put forward his offer, Massari objects, "Hey now, why can't you shorten my 'sentence' too? I was just playing around and having a little fun.~ I had no idea you primitives would be unable to reassemble the people I played with."

          Without missing a beat, she continues. "Also, how comfortable are we talking?~ The 'cell' you put me in is rather small and lackluster, and I get awfully lonely being in there by myself."
          "I could shorten your sentence, but given that you are here for the murder of 4 deputized heroes, 20 civilians, and the massive destruction of property your ship caused, I could cut your prison term in half and you would still die there. I figured an improvement to your accommodations might be better. As for what those are, we would need to get some information about the conditions of your home planet. As I said... Negotiable."

          Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post
          "Then why don't you start with what the job is and we'll see just how negotiable things are."
          "I am the lead detective in charge of a case of an illegal gambling ring. We know where it is. They don't really try to hide it that well. When we try to shut it down, we fail to find any of the leaders of the organization. A few weeks pass, and the place comes right back as if we were never there. Normally we would simply observe it at this point. We would send a few people in and try to pick out the ring leaders. A few months of good police work and we would have the list of the higher-ups. Then we would close the place down." He pauses for a moment here. "Unfortunately, anyone we send in is never seen from again. All of our flipped insiders disappear too. When one of their bodies turned up... well the case is about to get moved up to Major Cases. However, I want one more shot at nailing these people before that happens."

          I have been given the go ahead for a raid tomorrow at 4 PM. I need you to get in there early tomorrow and try to find out who the ring leader of this group is. Figure that out, and we will take them into custody. I won't lie. This is dangerous, but the building will be surrounded by police officers. We might even call in some deputized heroes to help out. What do you think so far?"
          Fox in the Hole: GM
          A Call to Adventure: Arcanum

          Comment


          • #6
            The Occultist | Vincent Katz
            Status: Fine
            HP: 1
            -~-

            "I think it sounds rather dangerous. Not the least of which, you seem perfectly willing to let known criminals enter a den of other known criminals." His eyes narrow. "You must have something else you're not telling us."
            I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

            Comment


            • #7
              Scylla

              The young looking fey had her cheeks red in indignation. How dared this puny humans treat her like this? It was outrageous! A disgrace! "Such insolence! such ign'rance! humans art so pitiful, believing i careth about spending anoth'r century did trap in thy castles! i has't did endure thousands of years imprison'd on a ditch in the middle of the flote, what is thy prison to me? Nothing!" she lashed out angrily, crossing her arms round her slim chest, before looking away. As the detective explains the job, Scylla looks between him and the gentleman ghost. Despite what she said, Scylla would do about anything to get out of her cell. In the sea at least she could hear the marine birds and enjoy the breeze. Her current situation was way worst.
              "What are thee meaning by negotiable? thy words art confusing f'r me"
              [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nowhereman2 View Post
                "I am the lead detective in charge of a case of an illegal gambling ring. We know where it is. They don't really try to hide it that well. When we try to shut it down, we fail to find any of the leaders of the organization. A few weeks pass, and the place comes right back as if we were never there. Normally we would simply observe it at this point. We would send a few people in and try to pick out the ring leaders. A few months of good police work and we would have the list of the higher-ups. Then we would close the place down." He pauses for a moment here. "Unfortunately, anyone we send in is never seen from again. All of our flipped insiders disappear too. When one of their bodies turned up... well the case is about to get moved up to Major Cases. However, I want one more shot at nailing these people before that happens."
                Breach leans back in her chair. "Tell us more about this body that 'turned up'. Turned in what condition?"

                I have been given the go ahead for a raid tomorrow at 4 PM. I need you to get in there early tomorrow and try to find out who the ring leader of this group is. Figure that out, and we will take them into custody. I won't lie. This is dangerous, but the building will be surrounded by police officers. We might even call in some deputized heroes to help out. What do you think so far?"
                "So you can't tap their phones or get a mind reader near the workers? Or may get a finger wiggler to just scry on them? Why has that failed?"

                ---

                ** finger wiggler = wizard

                Comment


                • #9
                  Massari the Alien Hedonist
                  HP: 1
                  Status: "Negotiating"
                  ~~~
                  Originally posted by nowhereman2 View Post
                  "I could shorten your sentence, but given that you are here for the murder of 4 deputized heroes, 20 civilians, and the massive destruction of property your ship caused, I could cut your prison term in half and you would still die there. I figured an improvement to your accommodations might be better. As for what those are, we would need to get some information about the conditions of your home planet. As I said... Negotiable."
                  Massari is about to attempt yet again to clear up the misunderstanding with her alleged crimes, but as she had learned in court, it would all just be in vain.

                  "Hmph! Never you mind about the conditions of my home 'planet', human; there's no way you could get anywhere close to replicating them." She said crossing her arms. "But for starters I want someone to keep me company, I want stuff to do during 'lights out', and I want some entertainment too—oh and I don't want to get killed during my 'sentence' either."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post
                    Breach leans back in her chair. "Tell us more about this body that 'turned up'. Turned in what condition?"
                    "The body was heavily beaten. It looked like electric shocks and battered ribs. There were also signs of internal bleeding, not caused by the blows. I didn't understand much, but I was told a 'Hemorrhagic Agent' was involved, whatever that is."

                    Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post
                    "So you can't tap their phones or get a mind reader near the workers? Or may get a finger wiggler to just scry on them? Why has that failed?"

                    ---

                    ** finger wiggler = wizard
                    "Their internal communications are on a separate network with no wireless connectivity, or so I'm told. No access without going inside and planting a bug. Obviously we have tried that. As for mind readers, and whatever a 'finger wriggler' is, we don't have that kind of budget. Mind readers are rare and go for a premium. I imagine that if this case gets kicked up, someone with a bigger budget might try that. I have to make due with you."


                    [QUOTE=Doctor Malsyn;n397025]
                    "I think it sounds rather dangerous. Not the least of which, you seem perfectly willing to let known criminals enter a den of other known criminals." His eyes narrow. "You must have something else you're not telling us."


                    "I have worked Vice for nearly three years. You get used to working with criminals to catch other criminals. Granted, they usually are not as dangerous as the likes of you, but then this is clearly an abnormal situation. As for what I am not telling you, I imagine there are a lot of things I am not telling you. Possibly because I don't know myself. If you want information though, you will need to be more specific."


                    Originally posted by Evolución View Post
                    The young looking fey had her cheeks red in indignation. How dared this puny humans treat her like this? It was outrageous! A disgrace! "Such insolence! such ign'rance! humans art so pitiful, believing i careth about spending anoth'r century did trap in thy castles! i has't did endure thousands of years imprison'd on a ditch in the middle of the flote, what is thy prison to me? Nothing!" she lashed out angrily, crossing her arms round her slim chest, before looking away. As the detective explains the job, Scylla looks between him and the gentleman ghost. Despite what she said, Scylla would do about anything to get out of her cell. In the sea at least she could hear the marine birds and enjoy the breeze. Her current situation was way worst.
                    "What are thee meaning by negotiable? thy words art confusing f'r me"
                    Detective Breckenridge paused for a moment and looked through his notes. "It seems here that you are here for grand larceny. Frankly, you would have been elegable for parole by now, except you assaulted two police officers while trying to escape. With your powers, the judge threw the book at you. So... to explain negotiable, I mean that your assistance in this matter could lead to me explaining to a judge that everything was a big misunderstanding and that you should be set free."

                    Originally posted by Sriseru View Post
                    "Hmph! Never you mind about the conditions of my home 'planet', human; there's no way you could get anywhere close to replicating them." She said crossing her arms. "But for starters I want someone to keep me company, I want stuff to do during 'lights out', and I want some entertainment too—oh and I don't want to get killed during my 'sentence' either."
                    "I'm going to be honest here, I don't want to think about what you would do with your visitors. If you mean conjugal visitors, that might be arranged. As for dying in captivity, no one has any intention of just killing you. Dying of old age is a maybe. How long is your species lifespan?"
                    Fox in the Hole: GM
                    A Call to Adventure: Arcanum

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Scylla

                      "Oh" the nimph says, eyebrows making a crescent in her fair featured face. "Well yond maketh much m're senseth now. I wisheth to participateth in this endeavour of thy then"
                      [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The Occultist | Vincent Katz
                        Status: Fine
                        HP: 1
                        -~-

                        "How you actually plan to keep us in check, perhaps. Bomb collars, binding contracts, magical shackles? Surely you don't really expect pure incentive to be enough for everyone, though I personally find no fault in the prospect of a pardon for my as-of-yet-officially-decreed crimes." Vincent states.

                        "Alongside that though, I have a more case-pertinent query. The body, do you still have it? With such a traumatic death, your agent's spirit might still be attached. If so, I'll be able to extract whatever information they've already gathered."

                        I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Massari the Alien Hedonist
                          HP: 1
                          Status: Very Amused
                          ~~~
                          Originally posted by nowhereman2 View Post
                          "I'm going to be honest here, I don't want to think about what you would do with your visitors. If you mean conjugal visitors, that might be arranged. As for dying in captivity, no one has any intention of just killing you. Dying of old age is a maybe. How long is your species lifespan?"
                          "Why would I die of old age?" The Va'kar asks, obviously quite confused.

                          "Wait!" She says immediately thereafter as if a light bulb just turned on inside her head, and she then laughs as if she's been told something completely ridiculous. "You primitives actually die by aging!? That's hilarious!"

                          Once her laughter dies down, Massari finally says, "But yes, I'd love to get some 'conjugal visitors'. And you needn't worry—now that I know how fragile and unmendable you humans are, I'm going to be a whole lot more careful. Promise.~"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            "Finger wigglers are wizards and some occultists," Breach says. "Magic makes no sense."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The Occultist | Vincent Katz
                              Status: Fine
                              HP: 1
                              -~-

                              "What nonsense. Magic makes perfect sense." Vincent scoffs as if he were speaking to a child.
                              I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X