• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Heroes Unlimited: The Viper Wars Final Gambit

Skylark
    Condition: Fatigued / HP: 4

Originally posted by Kris Majax View Post
    "Damn straight. Pizza and beers on me." Kris then turns to Skylark. "Soda for you. Tell who ever is on the other end of your comm 'Thanks' and we'll have you home late."
    Originally posted by catsi563 View Post
    "Midnight." comes the quiet voice in Skylarks ear an improvement over the usual 11 Oclock , a Pause "You've earned it."
    Skylark pumps her fist 'yes', grinning ear to ear.

"I want an extra large with bell peppers, pepperoni, smoked salmon, pineapple, anchovies, olives, onion, extra cheese, ham, chicken sausage and tomato slices."

Originally posted by Shock View Post
    Chris shrugged as Hornet and then Kris seemed to follow Bastion's lead and take off. If nothing else, this was a group with a lot going on. He turned to the two younger members of the group that were still with him. "Heroes don't always have to stick around for the cleanup. It's one of the perks of the job."
    She falls silent, contemplating her own future. They have actually managed to stop VIPER's last hurrah, and she has finished what was until very recently her life's mission with people she's known for less than a day.

What does one do after that? Where does one go when they have come to the last station on the line?

"Hey," she says, looking up at Shock. "Will I see you guys again? After all this?"

Comment

Dragonfyre
      HP:7 Cnd: Dominance asserted

Even as he banks into a turn, Tony can feel the battle is over. The unnatural second of silence rushes past him like a tidal wave...only to be replaced by cheers. Gliding back over to where Ripper lies unconscious, Tony fights back the urge to kick the downed killer...fights it hard. A weird sense of mine floats across Dragonfyre's thoughts...of intrusion, and finally dominance. At times, the dragon in him wanted to take everything...control everything, even control Tony. However, the young hacker always thumbed his nose at those who tried to control him...contain him...tell him what he should do. And it did not matter that the dragon was the one trying to dominate him...Tony would not bend. With a ripple that flows across his skin, Tony tenses all his muscles as he silently takes over his emotions and reigns them in. Standing over Ripper and breathing heavily, the young dragon snorts a small flame as he listens to the others banter back and forth. When Skylark asks her question Tony couldn't help but reply with a chuckle, " Little Bird....you've already passed the alpha and the beta...I think you're gold. Welcome to the Protectors", with that Tony extends his hand out as a welcome.

Comment

Kris Majax

Kris makes his way back down to the others the hard way, but is grateful to find Skylark is still there.

"Agreed," he says in response to Tony's words. Kris pulls out his card and hands it to her.

"If you or anybody else has any questions or concerns, call me any time." He had blown it with Bastion and now would have to hope Elena could find him. At least he could make the offer to her.

"Now let's go get that pizza."
        [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

Comment

Shock
          HP: 2
          Condition:
          Fatigued

"Well, what Dragonfyre means is we'll put it to a vote but your case looks favorable." Chris smiled. "We may have to have some considerations considering your age though. You're not quite 18 yet are you?" It was hard to tell with the girl masked and in costume but Chris felt pretty confident in his assessment.

Comment

Everyone

As Skylark answers the question in her own way and the crowd continues to cheer and applaud the heroes make their way to a well earned Pizza break.

The clean up runs well into the next month as the Protectors find themselves asked to help and working along side Oracle Incs Honor Guard team. The two teams work well together forming a friendly rivalry and some good relationships. Bastion is quickly located as it turns out someone was waiting for him at his home.

Catherine Deveraux; She had a simple offer, to help lead and guide the Protectors in their endeavors. Her case was elegant and well made and she left without pressuring Bastion in the slightest so he could make his decision. When Bastion showed up to help the team in a fight against Dr Simians robot apes in the gorilla scientists latest scheme he game the Protectors his decision.

Skylark also joined the team several times as she continued to harass Viper operations in Bay City. The Terrorist organization proved tenacious and monolithic and while its operations in the US and on the West Coast had taken a serious hit, they remained one of the worlds preeminent Criminal organizations and dangerous.

Still the Heroes continued as they always had fighting the good fight and above all being Heroes.

--ooOoo---

Epilogue

In the dark room of an ancient temple one older then the roman empire, even dating back to before the time of the pharaohs. A dark figure with a jackal face stands before an ancient tomb marked with many ancient symbols and glyphs. Black Anubis reaches out to touch the tomb but a powerful spell repells his efforts leaving his hand smoking. He curses in an ancient language before teleporting away .

Meanwhile

A handsome gentleman dressed impeccably stands before Catherine Deveraux's desk.

"You do realize what you are attempting?" she asks him her tone neutral as her eyes look right at and even through him.

"Of course." his voice is cultured and tone even and cool "It is risky and the right thing to do; events are unfolding as you well know that will have world shaking repercussions, and your Protectors well intentioned as they are will not be able to be there for all of it."

As he says this he indicates a wall screen where Hornet and Shock are facing off against Javelin in an aerial duel with the javelin throwing thief, and another image of Kris Majax facing off against some sort of bug eyed monster in Golden Gate park, Kris finishes the monster off with some effort before delivering his famed tag line "its all done with mirrors folks." followed by his equally famous showman's grin.

"But the people you are attempting to use their backgrounds leave a lot to be desired." That includes the young woman you've brought with you." Catherine indicates the door that leads to the reception area where a well dressed young woman of Asian descent sits passively meditating.

"I am well aware of that." he replies "But I also know these recruits, they are seeking redemption and I will be the one to help guide them."

"You?" another cultured voice replies from the corner of the officer where no one was standing before but is now occupied by a regal woman who lifts a cultured eyebrow as a cold green-grey eye looks him over.

"Anastasia were you eves dropping?" Catherine asks evenly with a hint of amusement. The lady in question merely rolls her eyes at the irony of a person who can see all possibilities asking such a question.

"The Lady Grey, an honor milady." the man bows formaly to which Anastasia merely nods.

"Charmed I'm sure." she replies cooly causing the temperature in the room to drop. "Don't think I'm not unaware of who you are attempting to recruit, one of them has personally clashed with my agents in the past, and with Kris. I will not tolerate his presence here on this plane."

"Forgive me milady but as I understand the rules of the Grey Square you cant entirely stop it either." the gentleman replies evenly "In fact as long as his desire to redeem himself remains honest and the balance remains unaffected your honor bound to not interfere."

Anastasia bristles at the rebuke but merely harumphs and sticks her nose in the air haughtily drawing a smirk from Catherine.

"What about these two then?" a third feminine voice joins the conversation as Delphis image appears and she shows two images of a woman with a battle suit and a man working on some sort of hi tech design "Both are well known for creating advanced weaponry from some of the worst of the worst."

"Quite incorrect actually, she was recruited young and when she saw how her designs were being used personally made a crusade--misguided as it were to stop them." he indicates the man " And he when confronted with a moral choice betrayed a group of very dangerous people in order to save the innocent."

"All of my choices are damaged in some way, but that damage is what makes them special, they can be fixed, they can be redeemed." he pauses a moment to regain his composure "I have done wrongs in my time, crimes committed out of arrogance and for sport or fun, I always tried to stay a course that avoided uneccesary casualties, and I thought I could control people well enough to make sure that none ever occurred."

He pauses and a pained expression passes over his face

"I was wrong, and it cost me dearly." he continues the pain being replaced with determination "I will not fail this time, these people will have the chance I couldn't bring myself to take when the time came."

"I would hope for you help and support but if that isn't the case then I will not take up any more of your time, we will go rogue if need be, and see where life takes us." he stands up and offers a hand to Catherine who looks at it oddly before he retracts it and bows once more to the Lady Grey.

"Good afternoon ladies its been a pleasure and thank you for your time." he turns to leave only to find Catherine standing behind in front of him though how she got from the sitting position to in front of him so fast he cant even calculate. He stares in disbelief as she raises her hand to him and nods at Anastasia.

"Good Luck Mr Davis." Catherine speaks easily with a warm smile on her face "You are taking on an enormous responsibility I hope it works out."

shaking her hand the gentleman nods his understanding that he hopes so as well. The Lady grey nearby bows formally to him in acknowledgement which he returns before exiting the office the young Asian woman falling in easily at his side.

"What did you see?" Anastasia asks Catherine as the latter resumes her seat behind her desk

"A dark web encircling the world and a great evil at its heart." she pauses a moment "An evil that can only be defeated by those who've walked a darker path then our Protectors have."

'Cryptic." Anastasia replies with a snort which causes Catherine to roll her eyes as if to say look whose talking.

"Well see wont we." Delphi chimes in the other two women nod in agreement.

End chapter 3
            Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/79-Showdown-at-the-Litterbox-New-Stuff?p=554&viewfull=1#post554"]Showdown at the Litterbox[/URL]

[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563]Catsi stories[/url]

Comment

Chapter 3

The Rise of the Sphinx

Masters of Fortune

The short three months after the invasion of VIPER and its subsequent defeat have been a busy time for the Protectors. With numerous calls and requests for them to show up at various functions and events. From the reopening of buildings destroyed in the battles, to children's hospitals, and so on and so forth. Fortunately Elena has proven herself a true treasure for you guys by deftly managing your schedules and insuring that you not only have the time to do all that you're asked to do, but that you have time to yourselves for your own activities both personal and super heroic.

In particular demand has been Master Magician Kris Majax whose natural charm and charisma make him a the almost go to guy for the various media outlets. Thankfully this has distracted him from the feelings of helplessness and lack of worth he's been feeling lately. So he slips into the role and puts on a show for the interviewers as always. Still though he continues his job as a mage and was able to thwart an attempt by the Mystics of the MU society to summon a demon spider to the earth realm. Add in his attempts to find the Anubis who has been mysteriously quiet over the recent frame of time, and he's almost been too busy to care about his personal demons.

The teams most recent additions have not been idle either. Bastion has found a new home it seems. When his old group was broken apart by the Usurper in battle he had wondered at times if he would find a new home. The young paragon has since though joined the Protectors on their journey and hasn't regretted it for a moment. Saving lives and fighting evil the group live sup to its media generated name and he finds that he fits in nicely. First finding a gaming buddy in Dragonfyre, and finding friends easily among the others as well.

Skylark in a way after joining the team finds herself being busier then usual. Falcon still insists on an 11 O'clock curfew but otherwise seems to approve of the team and its methods, He as a bit skeptical early but after receiving a mysterious phone call that lasted for exactly 5 minutes a taking a trip to meet with someone at Oracle Incorporated's home office he returned and never really pressed the matter again. Still she cant complain the team gives her some serious back up and together they drove off the villainous Nasty Boys sending them fleeing with their tails between their legs.

Tony while finding a new gamer buddy in Bastion has also been busy as ever. Lots of children's requests,--because dragons are just the coolest-- but also a number of battles, from the Nasty Boys, to a rematch with Trainwreck which resulted in the brute being sent back to jail. Most interestingly enough he's been in email contact with Alex, the gorgeous redheads emails flipping between flirtatious, and enigmatic. Still she did promise she would see him soon when the time was right.

Hornet has been sorting through things on his own as well, his obvious attraction to Karen whose fun and flighty manner contrast starkly with her near genius technical and scientific skills. Skills which Kirk is rapidly beginning to suspect rival his own, hes almost convinced shes holding out on him in some way, and that shes a lot smarter then she is letting on. Add in that he also has to deal with the crazy attraction he feels towards the mysterious Firefly, and he cant even remotely complain about being bored in the slightest.

Shock much like Hornet has had a busy three months, in his case hes been working near non stop with the investigative divison of Aegis, to clear up the mess, and dig forensically into VIPERs failed attempt. In this manner hes been working with several Aegis agents, including two of their best and brightest Hawkeye and Mockingbird a married couple that bicker back and forth almost as much as they act like a married couple. Add in a little outside assistance from Angel and hes managed to get on top of things without being overwhelmed. Especially when combined with his duties with the Protectors.

The teams most recent battle with the Nasty Boys behind them they find themselves with a little downtime until Elena calls them in to the Bases meeting room.

"Hey guys and gal, we have a request."

And away we go.

have a little fun with the 3 month period if you have any bad guys or a type of bad guy you want to butt kick let me know ill give you one.

and then answer Elenas call.

as always a hero point for a nice fun descriptor of the intervening period
              Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/79-Showdown-at-the-Litterbox-New-Stuff?p=554&viewfull=1#post554"]Showdown at the Litterbox[/URL]

Comment

Kris Majaz

For Kris, the three months seemed like one long day. News of his arsenal getting destroyed made the demon circuit quickly. Demons were popping out of the woodwork with an alarming frequency. It's like they thought he would be less dangerous now.

Silly demons.

However, between public appearances for the team and constant attacks, he hadn't been able to find the time to meet with Bastion about transitioning leadership to powerhouse. Kris knew if they faced the same level of threat they had against Viper, he would be a liability to the team. Bastion definitely needed to take field command.

As for his professional career, retirement lasted 27 days before he gave in to his agent and took a gig. Sticking with smaller venues proved much easier on his schedule; he no longer had to spend hours and hours rehearsing and prepping for a big show. Of course, it helped that he embraced his magic as well. It was the very first show back that he realized he had always been subtly using magic to aid him in his show. He even suspected that was the case before the accident. The demon inside him was using his own inherent magical abilities to fuel its own demon powers. That's why when it left, his magical abilities developed so quickly.

Another thing getting back on stage did for him; introduced him to Natalia. An up and coming magician/comedian, Rhianna opened for him several times the past three months. They really hadn't said much more than "Hello" but Kris was determined to rectify that soon. Enough pining over Ashley.

Kris was getting out of the shower when Elena's call came in. Spore demons were the worst. That stuff gets everywhere.

"Do tell, Moneypenny," Kris responds as he enters the meeting room with his usual "Kris Majax" style.
                Last edited by kenseido; 11-14-2014, 02:29 PM.
                [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

Comment

Dragonfyre

High above the bay, Tony soared through the afternoon skies...soaking up the warm sun. With a lazy barrel roll, the young dragon dropped into a stoop and arrowed beneath the Bay Bridge like a fighter lane buzzing a tower, only to glide back up higher into the stratosphere. With a contented sigh that no else could hear, the Draconic Hacker relished his stolen minutes of alone time.

After the Viper attack, the Protector's were anything but idle. The power vacuum left by all of the Viper flunkies taken down had resulted in a free for all of all the second tier criminals in the area. Even Trainwreck thought he could cut a slice of the pie for himself. His long tongue slid across his teeth...Trainwreck had removed an alarming portion of them when they clashed...regrowing them was something that Tony hoped he never had to do again. Teething pains should strictly be left for the newly born...not a 20 something dragon.

That brought on thoughts of his recent public appearance at Children's Ward at the Hospital. Never had he been so....powerless....so crushed. These poor children, with illnesses and injuries, fighting for their very life...whose every day was a struggle. Their only concern was if he was OK after his fight with Trainwreck and Brick. They wanted to make sure he didn't have anything that was bothering him...the lump in his throat and the tear that slid down his face were reminders that not all battles were fair. With all his strength and all his might, Tony couldn't fight their battles for them, though he very much wanted to. All he could do was be there...be there and be himself...and sneak a few into a ride on Dragonfyre airlines. A long toothy grin plays across Tony's face as the wind ruffles his hair...

A sudden image of long flowing red hair fits across Tony's mind. Alex...cinnamon and bonfire smells...fleeting and warm at the same time. There yet away. Facepost account be damned. Why did they have to have some of the best security on the planet? Tony could hack into the NSA with impunity, yet he couldn't trace a damn, single post of Alex...no matter how hard he tried. Nor could he trace any other electronic lead of her...No Where! That was simply impossible...or at least should have been. No one had no electronic footprint anymore...at least no one born in todays times...

The comm link in his ear beeped, interrupting his me time...
                  "Hey guys and gal, we have a request."
                  With a low grumble, Tony answers," On my way in now..."
                  Last edited by Shadowbourne; 11-15-2014, 06:35 AM.

Comment

BASTION (Tyler Battle)
                    HP: 3
                    Cnd: Healthy
                    Loc.: Protectors HQ

Bastion wasn't a fan of pandering to the media and was disinclined to show up for the opening of some corporate building or gatherings with no civic value. Elena recognized this stance quickly and found constructive events for the Protector's new team member to attend. Over the intervening months Bastion never got use to that side of being on the team. But he was always there to support the others when they needed it. In or out of battle. He was, however, intent on keeping his two identities and the lives that went with them separate. No one ever met Tyler Battle.

Tyler did a lot of traveling. It was part of his job. He went were the tournaments were. That meant Germany, Korea, and New York. Trouble seemed to spring up everywhere he went. In addition to flying off to back up fellow Protectors as the need arose, he ran into a string of antagonistic figures. In Germany he foiled a bomber bent on assassinating a corrupt police officer who had done him some wrong in the past. In Korea he encountered a time traveling teenage psychic vampire who tried to kill Tyler because the teen's mom was supposed to kiss his father at the end of a Battle of Valor tournament when the man won. But Tyler had won and he got the kiss instead. New York was oddly quiet. Bastion almost thought he wouldn't have to put on his costume. However at the end of his visit his flight was hijacked by a gang fueled by an experimental street drug that gave them random super powers while under it's effect but mad them insane. He doubted they even knew why they had hijacked the plane.

When he got home there was trouble waiting for him too. Abby, one of his sisters, had taken the opportunity while house sitting for Tyler to throw a few parties. One of them Tyler walked in on just as police were showing up. A noise complain from neighbors had brought them there. But they stayed for the illegal drug use. One of the guests had brought it as a party favor and the police had discovered this while telling Abby to lower the volume on the party. Tyler spent the rest of the night bailing his sister out of jail as she insisted she didn't know about the drugs. Then came cleaning up the mess his house had been turned into. Abby wanted to help, so it went slower than it could have.

When you moved at speeds that boggled the mind there was always something for you to do somewhere. Bastion had just returned from preventing a derailed train from falling off a bridge when Elena called the Protectors in for a meeting. Arriving at the gathering Bastion stood with the others and waited for the meeting to start.
                    Roll Call thread: [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/54-Character-Cache?p=211&viewfull=1#post211]Character Cache[/url]

Comment

Shock
                      HP: 1 LP:1

"On my way in Elena."

Chris had just gotten done with a speaking engagement when the call came in. A request these days wasn't out of the ordinary but it was rare that Elena called them all in for it. This wasn't going to be another appearance. He'd been wondering when the next big thing was going to hit. Not that they'd been idle in the last few months. Chris himself had focused on hunting down abandoned VIPER nests to make sure nobody else tried to put the leftover equipment to work. Between automated defenses and hopeful looters, each one was an adventure unto itself. And then of course, Hawkeye and Mockingbird had been invaluable in using the their extensive experience dealing with VIPER to track down the next nest. Given the extent, Chris sometimes wondered that they'd been able to shut VIPER down as well as they had. And the pair was entertaining as well. At times he swore they fed off their love-hate relationship.

And then there had been the side episode concerning a threat against his parents. Fortunately, with Dark Angel's help, Chris had tracked down the party responsible before he had even managed to set his plan in motion. Still, the episode made him a little touchy for a couple of weeks. It was a reminder of a vulnerability he wished would be left alone.

Comment

Hornet:
                        [Kirk McGlothlin]
                        HP: 1
                        LP: 2

Hornet had been busy as usual following the war with VIPER – between public appearances at children wings of hospitals who’d been hurt during the fighting (him & Dragonfire were the more requested members – the human-shaped dragon and the one hero smaller than the kids). It meant a lot to Hornet to do those – he wanted to be to them what his brother Jamie had been to him and the smiles he saw and the laughter he heard made Hornet pretty sure he’d managed to accomplish that goal.

There were still the responsibilities of his job at Oracle Inc. that he had to address, but as Kirk McGlothin and not Hornet and that took the majority of the first half of his days as he was still barely keeping up with his work assignments and his supervisor was getting tired of Kirk’s habit of banging out all of his work in a three-to-five day spree that took the other members of the group twice as long to decipher. Fortunately Katherine made a special request for Kirk to help the Protectors overhaul much of their equipment on the island that had been lost during to VIPER’s attack on their headquarters.

That took up a good deal of his time up until this point, even with Karen’s help and the distraction of the Nasty Boys (what a horrible team name, but it did fit them ironically enough), but they were finally working on the last set of installations this week and they’d be done.

["Hey guys and gal, we have a request."

"Be there in a minute." Hornet replied as he finished installing the circuit breaker a few feet inside the wall. From there he made his way into the hall and flew towards the meeting space.

Comment

Everyone

Elena jumps and squeaks in surprise as she turns back to an empty chair to find Kris Majax sitting there as if he had always been there.

"Darnit Kris, don't do that!" she huffs recovering her composure quickly "Don't think ill ever get used to that." she smirks while shaking her head.

As the rest of the group files in greeted in her usual cheery fashion with coffee, water and various fruits and snacks provided by Jean Phillipe she begins. "Skylarks in school at the moment but shell join us when shes out."

She waves a hand which causes the interface to raise up off the table showing the Bay City Modern Museum, a place everyone is familiar with through news at the minimum. It as extensive a collection as the Smithsonian.

"the director of the museum has asked that the Protectors be a part of the grand reopening ceremonies for the museum." she explains "Normally id just file this with the umpteen other requests you guys have received and see if any of you had the time."

you guys can see the But coming a mile away. "We have a couple of wrinkles this time."

Comment

Skylark
                            Condition: Normal / HP: 1

"Waitformewaitformewaitforme!"

Skylark comes barrelling in through the window in costume and rolls to a half on one knee. She scratches the back of her ponytailed head and grins ruefully. "Sorry. I got detention for super gluing Rachel's butt to her chair to teach her a lesson after she kept picking on Maia in yesterday's detention."

She gets up, dusts herself off, looks at the raised screen showing the Bay City Modern Museum (now there's an oxymoron if there ever was one) and perks up.

"Who robbed the museum and what did they take?"

Comment

Kris Majax

Kris' raises an eyebrow at Skylark's late arrival and explanation.

"I am going to have to teach you some proper pranks. Can't have this grade school stuff coming from a Protector."
                              Last edited by kenseido; 11-19-2014, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Shock
                                HP: 1 LP:1

Chris smirked. "But be careful who you share such details with. That's an easy path to compromising your identity."

Comment

Working...
                                X