Gulf Coast Guardians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2e IC] Gulf Coast Guardians

A team of heroes assembled by the Freedom League to help combat a great threat. Having fought through many trials, the Gulf Coast Guardians have made a name for themselves around the world.

Original Thread
    Jacks or Better
    Last edited by kenseido; 07-10-2014, 10:08 PM.
    [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

Re: Gulf Coast Guardians

The Guardians, looking for their missing member, have tracked him down to a warehouse. As soon as they arrive, however

"Incomiiiiiiiing!"

Dash skids to a halt before the team, ponytail whipped along by the sonic boom in her wake. Steam hisses from her heavily reinforced boots. "Bad news," she says, not even out of breath from breaking the sound barrier. "We've got killer bots all over. Two dozen of them, coming this way. Get ready!"

She whirls around on her heel, fists clenched and ready for some good old robot wrecking.
    "So when I said this is how I'd set up my death trap..."
    Red Hat cursed under her breath and tried to find a nice vantage point to avoid robotic entanglement and look for a better way to deal with said enemies.
    Wraith enshrouds himself in shadows and lifts off the ground, preparing to smash some robots and get his brother back.
    "Oh, fun."

At Dash's return with news of an army of malicious mechanoids Singularity grasps hold of a sign posts. Silver mist radiates from his hand a flows over the metal pole when appears to melt. While in a liquid state the metal reshapes into a sword before solidifying. Holding up the physical weapon for Red Hat to see, he tosses it to her.

"Red, pair up with Wraith. You're going to have to let me make that sword I talked to you about. For now, try this.."
    Stepping through portal, Flux took a quick look around, just catching Dash's comment before she, well, dashed off. It seemed like only moments passed and she was back again warning them of the incoming robot attack.

Squaring up towards the oncoming threat and cracking his knuckles Flux says, "Well, there it is. It just wouldn't be a Guardians mission without an overwhelming wave of nasties rushing in to kill us all."
    [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

Comment

The robot's approach seems to be tactical, not bunching up in a group or more than two lined up at any point. Several of them are revealing barrels and missiles while others have whirling blades and other close quarters weapons. Dash got the definite smell of ozone off several of them.

Dash leaps right into the fray, picking one of the killer bots with a circular saw and smashing it in the head with a kick at Mach 2.

The kick is on target to knock the robot's head off. The head ducks inside at the last minute, causing your kick to careen off the top of the robot.

Rushing towards the oncoming mechanical menace Singularity could help think, As bad a Graft being held hostage is, you know what would make this royally blow? Sentinel showing up. Imagine if Robot X copied his mojo. , as he mused to himself the shiny scientist held up his palms towards the machines. A silver cloud surged forth and rolled over a couple of the robots. The tiny machines working to tear apart their large cousins.

The swarm rips through two of the robots like they are paper.

Gliding forward in a swirl of shadows, Wraith let's loose with a blast of arcane shadows into a robot lining it's sights upon the ever silver Singularity.

But the blast reflects off the robot's armor.

The robots swarm all over the group. Two move into melee with each of you while two fire at range.

The remaining two attack Impact. One fires a bolt of electricity at him, stunning him while the other charges him, knocking him out.

Both robots hover over him, deploying spinning saw blades, spikes, and blow torches.

The robots are remarkably powerful and well-built for killer bot minions. Dash nimbly ducks, leaps and jinks through the flurry of attacks, rolling away from a laser blast and just barely avoiding a blowtorch and cannon shell that whistles past her cheek. "Not good enough, you cheap tin --"

The rest of her taunt dies in a scream as a fourth robot ducks in under her guard, and slices her from right shoulder to left thigh with a circular saw. If she had been a normal girl she would be on the ground in halves by now. But whatever mutation gave her her powers also gave her her body the strength needed to withstand the forces it could produce. Dash crumples to the ground, bleeding heavily and her clothing in tatters, but otherwise still largely intact and very ticked off.

Flux was ready to eat his earlier words as the killer robots were on him far faster than he had expected. Displaying an agility the belied his size he darted out of the line of fire from an autocannon blast, ducked under a slash from a blade-wielding 'bot, and slapped aside a literal hammerblow from a third 'bot. That last maneuver only served to place Flux in the path of a missile from the fourth 'bot, however, which took him solidly in the chest.

Flux staggered back a step from the blast, seemingly stunned, yet with a sudden roar he surged forward and slammed a fist harder than steel into the hammerbot, delivering a punishing blow.

The robot explodes into a million pieces from the punch.

Stephyn's Shadowlance is scarcely flung when the oncoming horde washes over him. In a fit of arrogance, the Umbral Warlock had failed to consider that the robots could get to them before the Guardians could lay waste to them. As a result of this, he hadn't gained any altitude...hadn't separated himself from the ground assault. Twisting and turning, Wraith flowed through the a barrage of spiked fists and razor sharp implements as he climbed skyward. All this did though was to present himself a much cleaner target. First one scarlet laser sliced across his Shadowshunt, vaporizing a section of shadows. With a barrel roll and stall, Wraith lined himself back up with the onslaught...ready to repay their hurt with even greater pain...only to take a stitching of high impact rounds slamming directly into Wraith's chest

Wind knocked from him, Wraith is stunned for a heartbeat before his outrage kicks in and pulls him out of the haze. Lesson learned, Wraith settles into a slightly elevated ceiling without too much exposure.

"Robots. Of course it had to be robots." Red Hat growled. She deftly dodged a saw blade, but another cut her in the side. She just-as-deftly avoided a shot, but another one clipped her shoulder. She gritted her teeth, seeing the Guardians being hit with similar attacks.

"I don't think a sword is going to do much." She grumbled. Still, she tucked the blade in her belt.

As Impact fell, and the robots moved in for the kill, Red Hat realized she could at least deny them their prize. She charged to scoop him up and get him out of there.

Under the mechanical onslaught Singularity nimbly wove to the side avoiding the a charging bladed robot's attack. He turn to face a energy blast from a cannon armed assailant. It was dead on target and Singularity had no time to dodge. So he didn't try. Instead he brought up a hand and in from of it formed a polished silver disk that deflected the energy bolt skywards before disintegrating.

This bought him time to duck under a shot from a second robot only second before hammer came crashing down on his shoulder. Singularity cried out as his armored costume crumpled and his bone broke giving him a warped slumping figure. Gritting his teeth he straightened up as cracking sounds could be dimly heard amidst the battle. With the help of internal nanites his bones moved back into position. Breaks were mended, and his suit repaired in seconds.

Silver eyes darted to Wraith and Dash. So that wasn't just a lucky hit he took. Not only were the machines plentiful, they hit hard. Making a fast turn around Singularity bolted to Dash's defense. Standing as a barrier between the reeling speedster and their attackers Singularity glared as he called out to his teammates.

"Try to group them together for nuke attacks. There are too many to take down one at a time."

Red Hat runs past the two robots and scoop up Impact, hauling him over next to Singularity.

From his new vantage point, Wraith watched as Red Hat, carrying an unconscious Impact, began to move towards Singularity and the downed Dash.

Seeing Singularity's plans was drawing the robots towards them, the shadow mage positions himself above the silver hero and waits for more of the robots to close before unleashing his blast.

As the robots approach, Singularity forms a dome around himself, Red Hat, Dash, and Impact while Wraith releases Umbral Ruin on the approaching robots.

When the dust clears, six more robots are crumpled on the ground.

Ten of the robots denied their targets blast and chip away at the dome protecting the Singularity, Dash, Impact, and Red Hat.

Two more fire rockets at Wraith, and the remaining move in and use blow torches, buzz saw blades, and vibro-blades to try and cut up Flux.

Last edited by kenseido; 05-02-2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile, inside Dr Death's "secret" lair,

"There. I found an artifact in your memories. I will try to bring it up."

Inside your head, you see the same memories flash in front of you over and over. Then they stop. You see the outline of a woman's face.

"That's it. That's all I could find."
        Graft focused on the woman as if he could force the image to clarify by shear force of will alone. "A silhouette? Is that really the best you can do?"
        "I am surprised I got this much."
        Graft focused on the outline for a moment longer, trying to make sense of it. "Then I think we can only hope my friends find us soon, because we are at a dead end."
        "Did you think we were looking for a way to give it the same sentience you have? As I said, that is impossible. His AI matrix is not sophisticated to hold the level of sentience I am capable of producing, much less what you have achieved. This is just a stall."
        It's not a very good stall if we're not getting anywhere. Although I admit I've grown curious. My past is something I haven't thought of much in a while."
        "I just..." He turns to see Robot-X behind him.

"No, we're not ready yet."

"I am telling you, the procedure isn't something that can be rushed."

... Dr Death looks back at you during the pause.

"Who did you send?"

"All of them?"

"But I don't..." Robot-X's arm forms a blade that he puts the point between your eyes.

"NO!"
        If he could have moved, Graft would have flinched, closing his eyes in the face of the fate that seemed inescapable. Instead, inspiration struck him. "Kill me, and you'll lose your only way to find what you're looking for. Kill him, and you'll lose the only means you have to dig what you want from out of me."
        Robot-X seems to glare at you for several seconds. It then turns to Dr. Death.

"Yes, you go... monitor." Robot X fades away.

Dr. Death buries his face in his hands. "For what it's worth, I am sorry I got you into this."
        As the robots outside fall one by one.

Robot X returns to the room.

"No! You can't do that."

His arm forms a blade again. He is about to thrust it at your head. Dr Death gets in the way and the blade enters underneath his chin.

"Fine! Then I'll take it from you." You here a robotic voice snarl in your head.

Comment

Flux
          HP: 1
          Cond: Bruised x1

Despite the sudden destruction of so many of their numbers the robots continue their relentless pursuit of the heroes. Flux is easily able to deflect a swipe from the vibro-blade bot, then ducks around it to spoil an attack from the buzz-saw bot. Just as he leaps up to take to the sky a boiling cloud of fire engulf him from the blowtorch bot, but the speed of his ascent carries him through the flames without harm. Once aloft, Flux moves into position then slams his hands together with massive concussive force, sending a super-dense wall of pressurized air slamming into the remaining bots below.

Only one attack hit; Toughness save: 1d20+13=33. Going airborne, then moving into position to catch as many bots as he can in the shockwave, including the ones chipping away at Singularity's dome if possible. DC 28 Toughness save, DC 23 Reflex save to halve the damage.

Comment

Flux

You are able to target the three attacking you without damaging any buildings. One is able to dodge most of your wave and another seems to whether it without ill effect.

The third sputters a bit, then explodes.

Area attacks are capped at PL, so the Reflex saves is DC21, and the damage is DC26/21
            Robots Reflex and Toughness: 1D20+6 = [15]+6 = 21; 1D20+12 = [13]+12 = 25
            1D20+6 = [7]+6 = 13; 1D20+12 = [14]+12 = 26
            1D20+6 = [11]+6 = 17; 1D20+12 = [1]+12 = 13

One is destroyed.

Init
            Dash
            Singularity
            Wraith
            Robots
            Flux
            *Red Hat

Comment

Red Hat
              HP: 2+6 Cnd: Standard

Red Hat took a step back and began to chant under her breath, something low and guttural. The syllables themselves seemed to hang in the air, shaped in dripping, icy runes. They were the litanies of Tseng, a potent, if somewhat unfocused, spell of power.

[quote]Plan is to 'aid' whatever Wraith does next.[/color]

Comment

With Red Hat holding, we go back to the top.

Init
                *Dash
                Singularity
                Wraith
                Robots
                Flux
                Red Hat

Comment

Dash is remaining stunned, so we move on to Singularity

Init
                  Dash
                  *Singularity
                  Wraith
                  Robots
                  Flux
                  Red Hat

Comment

Singularity (Vincent Irons)
                    HP: 4
                    Cnd: Healthy

When Dash didn't bounce back Singularity crouched down and scooped up the wiry teen before flopping her over his left shoulder. Behind him, around him, and gushing outward like a great fog his legion of nanites sped onward to assail Dr. Death's constructs. For a moment it looked as though he'd disappeared but with a brief grunt Singularity had taken to the air on his shiny disk. Racing over heads and limbs he flew free of the melee to get Dash to safety.

"You hunks of junk better not have broken my new lab assistant."

Originally posted by OOC
                    Singularity will try to get some of the 'bots in his area attack then ferry Dash out of reach of the melee 'bots. DC 21 Ref. DC 21/16 Fort. DC 26/21 Tough.

Originally posted by Power Description
                    "Disassembler Swarm", Corrosion 11 [Extras: Incurable (+1 pp), Precise (+1 pp), Reversible (+1 pp), Shapable Area (+1/r), Penetrating (+1/r)]
                    Last edited by Sakuro; 05-07-2014, 04:29 PM.
                    Roll Call thread: [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/54-Character-Cache?p=211&viewfull=1#post211]Character Cache[/url]

Comment

Singularity

You are able to cover the six robots still surrounding you before taking off with Dash. When the cloud clears, all that is left is six piles of junk.

OOC

Reflex: 1D20+6 = [2]+6 = 8; 1D20+6 = [11]+6 = 17; 1D20+6 = [19]+6 = 25; 1D20+6 = [16]+6 = 22; 1D20+6 = [16]+6 = 22; 1D20+6 = [8]+6 = 14
                      Three fail and lose 11 Toughness; Toughness: 1D20+12-11 = [5]+12-11 = 6; 1D20+12-11 = [3]+12-11 = 4; 1D20+12-11 = [6]+12-11 = 7
                      That was a waste. They couldn't have passed on a 20.
                      Three pass and lose 6 Toughness. They can only pass on a 20; Toughness: 1D20+12-6 = [11]+12-6 = 17; 1D20+12-6 = [12]+12-6 = 18; 1D20+12-6 = [10]+12-6 = 16
                      So all six toasted

Init
                      Dash
                      Singularity
                      *Wraith
                      Robots
                      Flux
                      Red Hat
                      Last edited by kenseido; 05-10-2014, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Wraith
                        HP:1(0) Cnd: Vengeful

Rising up, Stephyn emerges from the silvery dust that was Singularity's Nano Swarm. As he does, Wraith pulls on Red Hat's mystical energy and sends out an ice cold lance of living darkness at the robots still standing, " Nuts and Bolts, Fodder for my anger....I will not be kept from my brother Dr Death. Not by you....not by anyone!"

Shadowlance DC28 w/ Red Hat's Aid (1d20+9+2=30)....well, that should be a hit. Single Target though...don't have enough HP to keep Power Stunting.

Comment

Wraith

Your shadowlance rips through the robot, and nothing but parts falls to the ground.

OOC
                          Toughness: 1D20+12 = [9]+12 = 21

5 robots left

Comment

Robots

The remaining robots take aim at the five guardians.

OOC
                            Attack rolls vs Dash, Singularity, Wraith, Flux, Red Hat
                            Attack: 1D20+8 = [5]+8 = 13, 1D20+8 = [5]+8 = 13, 1D20+8 = [11]+8 = 19, 1D20+8 = [17]+8 = 25, 1D20+8 = [17]+8 = 25
                            DC27 Toughness for anyone that hits. And Crazyivan take another HP, because Coyote Code really doesn't like Red Hat.

Init
                            Dash
                            Singularity
                            Wraith
                            Robots
                            *Flux
                            Red Hat

Comment

Flux
                              HP: 1
                              Cond: Bruised x1

Flux deftly dodges under the incoming fire then hurls himself across the battlefield at the robot attacking him, hammering it with a thunderous ax-handle blow.

Toughness save: 1D20+12 = [19]+12 = 31
                              Punching his robot attacker (AOA/PA -2/+3): 1D20+8 = [19]+8 = 27 for a DC 31 Toughness save.

Comment

Working...
                              X