Neotropolis Tales: Director's Cut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e IC] Neotropolis Tales: Director's Cut

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension—a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind.
    You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas.

A creature of multicolored coherent light looks up from a computer screen and smiles towards the audience, "Hello there and welcome to Neotropolis Tales, a collection of short stories further enriching the campaign world. It is a collection of tales that do not fit into the rest of the campaign, explorations that would interrupt the flow or be outside the context. Think of it as a Director's Cut. I hope that you enjoy."
    Last edited by Spectrum; 11-02-2014, 05:22 PM.

Re: Neotroplois Tales: Director's Cut

Jiao-long

Picking up from this post
    "OH MY GOD YES! Jiao I could hug you!" He looked rather uncomfortable at that, not wanting the young woman to think that he had procured the tickets for ulterior motives. "I, errr, you are welcome. Though there is a favor you could do for me." She noticed the change in his demeanor, though was still overjoyed at his gift, "Yes, anything!" "Well, Uncle Wei has received the contract to cater the talks, and with things between Mia's brother and Uncle Wei at the moment we are a little short staffed, do you think between yourself and Emma you could find some students who would like to make some money to assist in catering." He winked at her, "Maybe your boyfriend?"

Ariel blushes prettily, coloring coming to her soft white skin, suddenly finding her hands fascinating, "I don't have a boyfriend either." she carefully clears her voice, looking back up, her loose blonde hair bouncing, "Sure! I'll ask around." she reaches for her phone, her fingers nimbly dancing over the screen, her lips moving as she considers her options, "Are you looking for anything in particular, or just able bodies that aren't already attending the GoT?" She grins, her entire face lighting up, the sun shining, "Did I say thank you already? If not, than thank you, thank you, thank you! This is so cool. I'll have to tell Emma though.." a mix of emotions washing through her as she starts to thoughtfully nibble on her lower lip. So rude and yet.. so cute.

Comment

Gizmo Girl

Picking up from here.
      She couldn't help it if she was inquisitive, Dr. Primen was one of the few people who could keep up if not exceed her in scientific discussions and intellectual conversation. Plus she had never treated her like a blonde bimbo simply because of her looks, but like a respected equal. Her family had known the good doctor for years and it was so exciting to finally be in one of her classes. She even felt like taking actual notes instead of just relying on her eidetic memory for once.

As things wrapped up and the other students began to leave, Cindy finally saw her chance. "Dr. Primen, I was wondering if I could discuss a scientific matter with you? Preferably in private."

Dr. Primen smilesback a she carefully puts away the laptop that she uses for demonstrations. "I have a little while until I need to get ready for my next class Ms. Cormick." with a wince, she carefully rubs over her hands, trying to get the flow to start again, "What's on your mind? Or should we wait until we get back to my office?"

Comment

Samaritan
        Time: 'puberty'

While doing homework, a knock on the door. Your mom presses the door open, not having learned the Lesson about teenage sons and suddenly opening doors yet, "Dex, Waheed is on the phone." she offers over the 'old fashioned' wireless handset impatiently, though there is humor in her eyes. "Don't stay on the phone too long, dinners in about twenty minutes." The scent of a pot roast dangles upon the breath, so mouth watering. She said something about trying out a new desert recipe too, being very secretive about the details.

You've been looking forward to the sleep over at Waheed's for a while. Yeah, hanging out after school is one thing, but this will be an entire weekend of hanging out and doing guy stuff. Whatever guy stuff is, this is the weekend that you two are going to figure that out. While his family (the Patels) is a little old school, they're still cool as long as you keep an eye on your manners.
        Last edited by Spectrum; 11-02-2014, 03:58 PM.

Comment

The Shrike (Thomas Burge)
          Time: Last year

You've been hunting this Babel guy for a while now, off and on for a few months. Babel wasn't interested in getting caught and was willing to keep things quiet in order to throw the dogs off his tracks. This was going to be one of those big catches too, one that will finally make your name. It's this kind of job though that your skills tend suffer at too. Yeah, kicking down doors and snapping cuffs on people is easy. Sometimes painful but in the end easy. You're good at it. Much more difficult though is playing the long investigative game. That describes the situation pretty well and you've been forced to play the game that Babel wants to play rather than getting it onto your ground.

Finally, an emailed response through your internal internet connection rather than your secured laptop..damn, the guy was good. "Tinman- verify request for upgrades."

Comment

Grant Summers
            Time: Several years ago

Leftys is one of those bars that normal people don't stay for a drink. You also didn't stay if you were looking to get right with the law. The clientele was pretty particular about the list of topics too: how bad the beer is, how nasty the bathrooms are and hustling pool. The guy behind the bar is Lefty, on account of the side of the face he still has. Ugly cuss, uuuuuuugly, the kind of guy that managed to fall down world's tallest ugly tree, hitting every branch down and then climbed up again to f- it up.

It was also a place that the clientele went to hear friend of a friend type rumors, never any incriminating details, but if you listened, you could start putting together, maybe get some money going your way. It's been slow lately, always room for business, but not always the potential for something more than putting a roach infested over your heard for another night.

The weather outside hasn't been particularly good lately either. Hot, greasy rain falling from the skies- the angels pissing on the sinners down below.

Comment

Katherine "Kate" Ory
              Time: year -1 or -2

You're on site for one of the biggest tech conferences of the year, looking for The story. Lots of meh, a few choice bits of appealing (that everyone else is going to report on) but nothing so far that really shines as a game breaker, the article that will really put you over the top. Lots of friendly faces, more than a few desperate ones.. and yeah, there's the guys that really should learn that its okay to rule the world from their mama's basements. Along with the booth babes, a few kreative types have decided to bring out booth studs, equal opportunity fan service- not that any of them really need to do anything more than look pretty.

Lots of opportunities to learn how this or that team will Change the world, lots of places that you can end up wasting time on and not getting anywhere and not much time to get the Story. What's it going to be?
              Last edited by Spectrum; 11-07-2014, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Detective Chris Everett
                Place: Neotropolis PD Headquarters
                Time: Now
                Cast: SPECIAL- One slot. First refusal goes to my current players (show interest in the ooc thread). If you are reading this and NOT one of my players, PM with interest. This has the potential of being a recurring role.

Detective Everett was good at his job, very good at his job. He had risen in the ranks through dedication, hard work and he'd admit it, a bit of luck in breakthroughs coming through at the right time. He'd even risen to that awkward position of being an experienced mentor while trying to not get promoted to a deskjob.

Only in police dramas do officers have the opportunity to concentrate on a single case at a time. Even rarer are things wrapped in a tidy bow in 45 minutes. In reality, things aren't so clean. Neotropolis was one of the safest places in the world. The people here were basically good, law abiding citizens, even if most of them didn't exactly see the world around them with normal eyes. No, the crimes here were 'special' to go along with the population, often very complex and more often than not outside the realm of law. So many edge cases made it very difficult to investigate and prosecute.

Florres had been working on one such case when she went on maternity (paternity?) leave. She had her wife Jenny just had their first child, a daughter. Everett knew that Florres was going to be in trouble. It was hard being a cop and being married, even harder when there was a little one. Though he respected whatever decision came, it would be a loss of a good cop if it came down that way.

A little shake of his head and Everette looked back over the file. It was a murder with a twist. Why did there always have to be a twist? A woman in her early 20s had been left in an alley. She was pretty, nude and all hair (red?) had been removed across her entire body. A thick transparent gel had left residue across every inch of her. Cause of death was suffocation- the gel was in her lungs too. Florres had been waiting for tox screening and she had notes about a list of witnesses. So far, the media wasn't causing a panic but it was a matter of time.

To make things even more complex, the University was having one of their big meetings this coming Friday. His team had been invited to help provide security.

Will the wonders never cease?

Comment

Re: Neotropolis Tales: Director's Cut

Kate Ory, intrepid reporter

Kate wandered around the convention center feeling bored and frustrated. So far nothing had captured her attention at Initech, one of the largest tech shows in North America. Sure the industry giants were here showing off their latest and greatest gadgets and all the other reporters were falling all over themselves reporting every word they said. Kate wanted no part of that. She was after the type of tech that slid under the radar. The kind no one paid attention to until it became newsworthy. Last year some guy was touting a bulletproof cellphone case. No one, not even herself, had paid much attention to the product. It was very exoensive and wasn't practical for the masses. That had proven to be a huge mistake. Some foreign Prince had purchased one at the absurd cost of $1,000. It ended up being one of the best investments he had ever made when a disgruntled citizen tried to assassinate him. After that incident made the news the world over, the inventor became an instant billionaire.

At all the shows after that, every oddball tech item made the news in the hope it would be the next big thing and some reporter or news channel could brag they reported on it first. The problem with that approach is that a lot of junk items get reported on.

Kate had seen a few potential hits but nothing she felt would be big. They would be modest successes to be sure but not the next big thing. Then something caught her eye. A small booth over in a corner. A young woman the sole occupant. Kate got a tingling feeling on the back of her neck. She smiled as she walked casually towards the exhibition. As she got closer, she noted the woman was wearing unusual glasses.

"Hi! I'm Kate. Mind if I ask you a few questions? Are those a new version of Google Glass?"

"Oh, um, no, not really. Don't feel bad though. That's what everyone thinks. Actually they allow the user to see the difference in heat signatures."

Comment

Kate Ory

Sometimes all it takes to attract interest in a booth is a single person already showing interest. After all, that person might just know something about the booth that you don't and well that wouldn't do at all, would it?

The young woman gulps, her eyes widening, made even larger by the lenses, "Yes! No!" she squeaks, "I.." she quickly pulls the glasses off and thrusts them towards you, "Here, please put these on." her eyes flutter a she tries to refocus, "Please let them know what it's like to wear them? Light weight and easy to wear. We also put in some image clarification algorithms to make the images more distinct." she quickly slips into another pair of glasses that could, in other circumstances, be considered military style BC glasses, thick black and clunky.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
                      Gizmo Girl

She couldn't help it if she was inquisitive, Dr. Primen was one of the few people who could keep up if not exceed her in scientific discussions and intellectual conversation. Plus she had never treated her like a blonde bimbo simply because of her looks, but like a respected equal. Her family had known the good doctor for years and it was so exciting to finally be in one of her classes. She even felt like taking actual notes instead of just relying on her eidetic memory for once.

As things wrapped up and the other students began to leave, Cindy finally saw her chance. "Dr. Primen, I was wondering if I could discuss a scientific matter with you? Preferably in private."

Dr. Primen smilesback a she carefully puts away the laptop that she uses for demonstrations. "I have a little while until I need to get ready for my next class Ms. Cormick." with a wince, she carefully rubs over her hands, trying to get the flow to start again, "What's on your mind? Or should we wait until we get back to my office?"
                      "Thanks for your time, I would prefer to discuss this in your office. It is...a private matter" Cindy said, nervous about someone listening in and figuring out her secret. She had enough new people in her life who knew she was Gizmo Girl, too many more and she might as well go public.

Comment

Gizmo Girl

Dr Primen nods, a thoughtful smile. It takes a moment to pack up her things into her rolled carryall before going being off on her way to the office.

"Are you having any problems getting tickets to the Glimpse on Friday? I've heard that some silly old biddy is going to yammer on for hours."

Comment

Kate Ory, intrepid reporter

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
                          Kate Ory

Sometimes all it takes to attract interest in a booth is a single person already showing interest. After all, that person might just know something about the booth that you don't and well that wouldn't do at all, would it?

The young woman gulps, her eyes widening, made even larger by the lenses, "Yes! No!" she squeaks, "I.." she quickly pulls the glasses off and thrusts them towards you, "Here, please put these on." her eyes flutter a she tries to refocus, "Please let them know what it's like to wear them? Light weight and easy to wear. We also put in some image clarification algorithms to make the images more distinct." she quickly slips into another pair of glasses that could, in other circumstances, be considered military style BC glasses, thick black and clunky.
                          "Thanks." she replied as she accepted the glasses.

Kate looked them over for a moment. At first glance they looked like nothing more than some sort of safety glasses. Clearly, based on the girl's reaction when she removed them, they were much more than that. What other properties did they possess? Kate slipped them on and was temporarily disoriented. Within seconds the glasses adjusted, giving her clear vision. Better than clear vision actually. As she looked around the room, it was if everything was crystal clear, the colors were sharper and brighter, and details more noticeable.

"Did you create these or are you a model?" she asked the girl, hoping flattery would encourage the girl to open up about what these glasses could do.

Comment

Celestial

The girl blushes prettily, "No, not the model. I couldn't be a model. My father and I invented them. We're hoping to get together the money for further research and to move on to the next step in the process."

It takes a moment to figure out what the 'trick' of the glasses is. The thermographic properties are decent but not stellar. It's nothing significantly from the other color spectrum that you've seen in too many other models. No, the charm is in the image resolution software. The clarity is amazing, there also seems to be some kind of tele/microscopic processing there as things move into and out of focus.

Looking around the room, a few odd shapes come into focus- firearms? In a civillian tech conference? Very odd.

Comment

Dexter Lancaster
                              HP: 1 Cond: Homework

Why in the world was it important to know the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? And the differences in that value (and in general) between the African and the European swallow?

Honestly, science teachers are weird. No joke.

Still, Linda Lancaster knew just how to get her son's attention when she wanted to - by simply entering his room without warning while he's trying to wrap his head around the concepts and ideas that adults seemed to understand oh-so easily. And let's not get started on why the heck English teachers wanted kids to draw artwork to "amplify the poetry" they were writing for class. And Mom and Dad would always tell him he would understand when he was older. Well, he was 14! He was an 8th grader, and in about a month, he'd be done with middle school and off to high school! Bold new horizons!

Anyways. Dexter jumped as his mother surprised him with the phone. Muttering a "Thanks Mom" softly, the teen took the proffered handset and cradled it in his neck as he cleared some of his homework away to talk.

"Hello?" he said into the phone. "Waheed? What's up?"

I just have to say that Waheed Patel is one of the strangest names I've ever seen... The first name is Arabic, and the last name is a common one in Hindi. It's a mix of a Muslim first name and a Hindu last name. A Hindu family that would name their kid something Arabic is not as common as you would think. Old school, that is not.

Comment

Working...
                              X