X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e IC] Freedom City Fighters: Episode 1

Episode 1-1: Punk Rock Zombies
    Time: Evening

For everyone, on this random Friday evening, the night was shaping up rather normally until about 6 or 7pm. It was then that the night erupted in a storm of crime all across the city. From muggings to robberies and grand theft auto, all manor of chaos disrupts the normally sane streets of Freedom City.

Eleventh Hour
    The world outside Horace Smith's home has turned to chaos. People are looting, brandishing weapons, and stealing police cars. In the wake of the crimes, ordinary citizens are scrambling to get out of the way, but he's already noticed it is hard to distinguish the difference between the victims and the perpetrators. So far, everyone Horace has seen is unmasked and seemingly normal looking. With a quick look at media sources, he discovers that the insanity is city wide, effecting everyone. And so far, the police are dumbfounded and unable to link a cause to the madness. As the situation grows more dire, this looks like a job for... the Eleventh Hour!

Girlilla
    Marie Mukumbusu had not been in the United States for very long and was not in any way aware of every single human custom and tradition, but she certainly couldn't think of a legal or positive reason all the public mailboxes on her street were lit on fire. She had planned to go for a walk, but instead found curiosity and a sense of worry about this strange sight. Was it an act of crime? Terror? Or some strange custom or holiday she wasn't aware of?

Shen Lu Mei
    Despite the restraining order, Shelly still met Mike and Shen after school most days. She pretended to be in some activity or another to get away with it, and was pretty skilled at finding a reliable cover. Today, they were headed back toward Shelly's house when they saw a man suddenly grab an old lady's purse and try to get away with it.

Neuron
    The coffee shop Michael had used to work at had never been so exciting when he'd worked there. Tonight, as he stopped in for a cup of discount coffee (his old friends still gave him the employee discount) a run-away police car came crashing through the front window!

In the front seat, a twelve year old delinquent struggled with consciousness while three, would be coffee drinkers were pinned under the debris and car.
    Last edited by whiteprofit; 10-23-2014, 07:32 AM. Reason: Neuron is a customer, not an employee.
    Kit Andersen/GravityBoy! - Whole Family of Supers
    GM - Super Framily Plan
    Captain Thunder - Victory Legion!

Re: Freedom City Fighters: Episode 1

Horace opens up the window of his shanty little hole in the wall detective agency. Frowning he looks up and down the street. "Not my problem." he remarks to himself, closing the window as he walks back in. "Of course it isn't my problem. Its better that way after all." Yawning, he walks into the bathroom and begins to comb his hair, brush his teeth. "No one is coming to ask me for anything, and I'm not getting paid for it either."

Walking down the stairs, his talk to himself continues. "Perhaps I should go find who ever's problem it is?" With this he puts on his shoes, slips a vest under his jacket and checks himself in the mirror, a small smirk on his face. "After all its always so much better to gloat to them in person when I solve the mystery."

And with that, he quickly steps out, taking a mental note of the numbers of this new breed of criminal.
    Triskavanski's Graveyard of Characters

Comment

Girlilla

"Siri. Call. Fire. Department." Marrée enunciated each word with an obnoxious slowness. The silly voice recognition software had still had trouble with her French-accented English... And the Bluetooth earpiece she'd been cobbling together didn't quite work right. Not yet. But she couldn't rely on an off-the-shelf model to stay put when she transformed. "No, no, you stupid little... Siri. Call. FIE. UHR. DEE. par. TUH. men. THT."

She hefted the fire extinguisher up, leaning the top slightly over one shoulder with the bottom kind of on her hip. Angling the nozzle she was equally thankfully her apartment building had such a large model in the foyer... And miffed it was so awkward to handle in her present human
      form. Lamest super-power in history.

"Yes? Yes!? Emergency services?" she began to blast the mailbox, "I'd like to report a fire. Several fires. 1200 block of Goodall, near Fossey."
      Last edited by Batgirl III; 10-24-2014, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Eleventh Hour
        Horace walks calmly down the street while a couple people hurry past him to get to safety. He sees a young mom break through a car window and start pilfering through the stuff. "Hey! That's my car!" yells a neighbor and spooks the young woman back into her own car, who then races down the street with her three kids in the back seat of her minivan.

Around the corner, a group of teens bust open a gift store window and start looting the display window.

Three blocks from there, a young man in a business suit holds up a homeless man for money and then turns on another guy walking home. "Put everything you got in this bag!" he shouts at anyone walking by.

Horace starts counting and logging information away in his brain to try and narrow down the greater cause and affect of the madness Freedom City has found itself in.
        I would like to see an Investigation Check to see how well, and quickly, you pick up the pieces.
        Girlilla
        The fire extinguisher does its job and puts out the one fire. To Marree's left, two more blue mailboxes smoke and sputter with flames, while a longer string of them heads off to the right, toward downtown Freedom City.

"Thank you for reporting your emergency. Is anyone hurt?" comes back the voice on the phone.
        GM - Super Framily Plan

Comment

Neuron
          HP: 1

Caffeine was a drug. It was an addictive substance that enslaved many an individual to it's cruel existence in a way that was worse than any other addictive drug on the streets. Because every day, millions of people woke up and had a cup of coffee to keep themselves going, to satisfy the cravings... Science proved it.

Michael sighed as he waited in line at the coffee house where he used to work. It was a little nostalgic, but the more Michael thought about it, the nostalgia was undesired. He had used his job here that summer to read the minds of many individuals that walked through those doors, picking up bounds of useful information. There was even a martial arts master who frequented the shop on occasion, as he recalled. Pity, he wasn't there today. The staff were different from the summer he had worked here as well. The manager would probably remember him, but Michael doubted it. Those who would normally remember him weren't working tonight apparently.

The loud crash behind him made him jerk instinctively. Fight or Flight, a reflexive decision that had put Michael on the defensive as he stared at the car that had crashed through the window. A police car... Holy crap, there was a kid in the driver's seat? And people pinned under the car! What the hell was that kid thinking, taking a cop's car out for a joy ride?!?

Rushing forward, Michael's shoes crunched on the glass as he began to strain what little effort he could against the car, give the people pinned a little wiggle room to get free and away from the debris. "Come on, get out from under there!" he shouted, urging them to try and get themselves out. Hells bells, someone ought to be calling the cops... they had a right to know where one of their paddy-wagons was. Besides, Michael wasn't strong enough to lift the thing himself, but that wouldn't keep him from trying anyways...

I know that with Str 0, I'm not gonna be able to lift the car, but what would need to be done to free the people from being pinned under it? Like, is there some kind of metal bar around that I can use like a lever or something? Get those people out from under the car?

Comment

Girlilla

"No... No one appears to be hurt," Marrée explained, "But every mailbox on the block seems to be spontaneously combusting."

"No... Not exploding, combusting." Marrée answered as she half-carried, and was half-carried by, the large extinguisher over to the next mailbox, "They're just... On fire."

Comment

Neuron
              The thoughts around Neuron are exclaiming in short bursts of information. Some important, some less so.
              <"Someone should call 911!">
              <"My legs! I can't feel them. Oh, god, I just knew something terrible was going to happen today.">
              <"Is that a police car? What is some kid doing driving a police car? Someone better call 911..">
              <[...~~ Static ~~...]">
              <"Spinal injuries. We need to worry about spinal injuries. And not move anyone.">
              <[...~~ Static ends.....] "Woah, where the hell am I?">

Michael looks around for something to help him lift the car. He sees two bystanders, and one barista, but nothing inanimate that will be strong enough to lift the car.

Girlilla
              "Thank you for reporting your emergency. I've notified both the police and fire departments and I advise you to go inside and stay out of the streets. There seems to be a lot going on dangerous things going on tonight. Be careful."

The reporter confirms that she can hang up one last time but seems bent on not being on the phone any longer. Apparently Marree's burning mailboxes is the least of her worries tonight. The fire extinguisher explodes in a blast of chemicals and douses another fire.

"You got any money, kid?" a voice asks from behind her. "I need everything you've got." Marree's neighbor, who is usually unconditionally nice to her, is now holding her at knife point. He's got a large kitchen knife and doesn't look like he's ever used it to do more than cut carrots with it. But still, he's standing there asking the question and Marree knows she's got to be careful.
              GM - Super Framily Plan

Comment

Girlilla

"You got any money, kid?" Came the uncharacteristically somber voice of Mr... Uh... Mr. Guy Next Door. She really needed to get better at remembering names, "I need everything you've got."

"Sorry, um... Sorry, mate." Marrée back-peddled, wondering why she was spontaneously sounding like an extra on Doctor Who and why she'd left her taser inside, "But I'm in my pajamas, yeah? Don't keep cash in my flannel Johnny Rocket pants..."

Persuasion (keeping him calm): 1d20+3 8

It's just a small fire. Grab the extinguisher. You don't need your utility belt. she cursed herself for taking her own advice as she took another step back from the knife-wielding man. This is not how my superhero career was supposed to end. This guy wasn't a super-villain. Heck, he wasn't even a real criminal.

Marrée chanced taking her eyes off the guy, for just a second, to see if they were alone. She didn't want to transform in front of witnesses.

Perception: 1d20+8 26
                Last edited by Batgirl III; 10-25-2014, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Girlilla
                  Mr. Neighbor fidgets with the knowledge of your simple explanation and not trusting you. He looks around as well, and spots a more lucrative looking couple turn down a side street.

"Fine," he says. "Have a goodnight and get home safe."

Marree is aware that she is now the only person on her street for a second or two. She could change now and likely no one would see, or she could head to a small break between two apartment buildings and do it there. Then she wouldn't ruin her pajamas and could stash them at the same time.
                  GM - Super Framily Plan

Comment

Neuron

"Hey, you two!" Michael called out to the two ordinary joes that were still startled by the whole ordeal. They weren't doing anything... Ah, right. Bystander effect. The mind always assumes that someone else will deal with an obvious problem, and thus does nothing. He had to get them to help, but if they saw him trying to help, they wouldn't. Best make this personal for them. "Yeah, you, mister black suit and tie! Get over here, help me get this damn car off these people. You too, mister bald green-shirt!" he shouted as he strained against the car, trying to ease it up just a few inches. A glance out of the side of his eyes noticed the barista behind the counter still shaking from the crash. She was just staring at him, not doing anything... and that wouldn't do. "Come on, lady! Pick up the damn phone and dial 911! We need an ambulance! Yes, you, Miss Barista! Damn it people, do something!"

In his mind, Michael could already hear the joy rider waking up from the crash. And his thoughts were clouded, and uncertain... and stoned. Or incredibly drunk. Oh, just perfect. Michael thought of simply overloading the man's synapses with the sensation of twenty simultaneous hangovers just to teach him a lesson, but what was the point in that when he had to focus on trying to get the car off the people still trapped underneath.

Psychologist knows that people are more likely to help someone in a distressful situation when they are pointed out specifically by the person calling for help. Michael's gonna use that knowledge to egg these people into action, when they would rather do nothing (as is the bystander effect). Hopefully, working together we can make a team Strength check to get the car up a little so someone can get those people out from under there, and make it easier for the EMTs when they get here. My contribution to the Strength check: 1d20+0=17

Comment

Neuron
                      "um, okay," the guys say, and together they are able to lift the car enough for people to crawl out from under it. No one is so seriously injured that they can't move themselves, <"yet that's not necessarily a sign that they aren't injured. Everyone's necks and spines should be restrained, if possible...">

The thoughts are coming from a med student, one who is now climbing over the wreckage of the police car and into the shop. "Is everyone okay?" she asks. "I saw the accident from across the street. We need to stabilize these people. Has anyone checked on the driver?"

Everyone seems to be in shell shock except yours truly and the girl, Anna is her name, who is looking around for useful information. Eventually, her eyes land on Michael for help. <"He's cute. I hope he's not dumb and can tell me what's going on...">
                      In case it isn't clear, <"... "> denotes thoughts instead of spoken words. Trying to think like a mind reader and give you what you would easily be able to pick up and put you ahead in a conversation (whether you use it or not) like a telepath would. If there is specific information you are looking for or want, you can always ask for it.
                      GM - Super Framily Plan

Comment

Neuron

Michael looked up in the direction of the speaking mind. He almost began to return the remarks when he remembered they were thoughts. Secrets, of course. "Driver's still in the car... Pretty out of it by the looks of him." he said as he tried to keep the necks and spines of those pinned by the car when it crashed through relatively flat against the ground. Looking to the people they had managed to get out from under the wreck, he muttered "Try not to move. No telling what internal injuries you might have had when the car came through... Don't want to make things worse..."

"Now, miss? You a doctor? Nurse? In training? I'm not, so if you would help? I don't know how to really treat wounds, so I'll get the idiot out of the driver's seat." he explained as he moved to the car, opening the door as he looked to get the driver out of the car. He was careful not to leave much of a mark for forensics later, but he wanted a better look at the driver. Both physically and mentally. If the man was as drunk or as high as he had guessed, there wasn't really much else to look for, but if it was something else... It probably wasn't anything else.

Comment

11th Hour
                          1: hp

Hoarce wasn't doing to much to look for clues, after all there was clues around him. The movement of people, which people are afflicted, how they act, talk, and what have you. Those were the first things he needed to know, wandering off around town in hopes to find something would be just that, wandering.

Surely all these criminals had to have somethings in common, some sort of thing, and binding force connecting them and quite possibly what was driving them to perform these acts.

1d20+12=21 investigation
                          Triskavanski's Graveyard of Characters

Comment

Girlilla

Marrée darted back inside the building, fingers tugging at the drawstring on her pajama bottoms. Human fingers were surprisingly dexterous... She hopped out of her pants and kicked the door close behind her.

She quickly got into her "costume," such as it was. A pair of over-sixes spandex bicycle shorts... that at present hung loose and baggy, like a Samurai's hakama. Her utility harness with all of her gear and gadgets, at present, hung like a loose photographers' vest. But she knew it had enough play in the spandex straps to fit comfortably at her normal size. Westerners and their nudity taboo, what was a gorilla to do?

Thankfully, she had left her handheld scanner set to monitoring police and emergency broadcast frequencies. She gave it a warm-up thump as she fished it out of her harness. As she suspected, it was lit up like a Christmas tree. She listened in while making her way up to the roof.

Handheld Scanner Senses 5 (Radio: Radio [1], Extended [x1000, 2], Direction Sense [1], Tracking [1])
                            She picked the emergency that sounded most promising, made a note of the intersection, and shifted back into her true form as she crossed the gravel rooftop.

"Look up in the sky: it's a bird, it's Centurion... No!" her grappling hook flew like a flash, "It's the galavanting Girlilla!

Comment

Neuron
                              The mind of the driver is foggy at best, but not on drugs. Neuron had felt the presence of foreign substances on other's minds many times, and this wasn't that. The static he had heard when the car had come through the window was gone, but the hole of memories for this kid is still very real. <"How did I end up in a police car?"> the kids wonders. There is a gash above his eyebrow where he hit the steering wheel and his face is puffy from the airbag. <"I don't know how to drive...">

The last thing the boy remembers is getting home from school as normal and then downloading new music from the band he'd just seen the night before. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Outside the coffee shop, Michael senses a person pass by who's thoughts are particularly intriguing at this moment, amongst a growing panic and fear from more average minds in the area. <"There are so many clues, I don't even have to look for them,"> the mind thinks. <"Female, about 25. Shoplifting; Male. 29 or 30. fit. stealing a car; Male. older teens. vandalism. Second police car I've seen tonight. Make that three...">

Girlilla
                              The radio Girlilla has informs her of several requests for police attention. Most of the return messages are from pedestrian sounding voices that include hollering, smack talk, and down-right unprofessional responses.

Swinging through the streets, Girlilla is on the move. She quickly learns that burning trashcans is the least of her worries for now. She notices a police car being chased by two others and a store owner chasing after her neighbor, who has just picked up the entire cash register from the counter and bolted for the door.

11thHour
                              Horace's stroll through Freedom City gives him several pieces of information. First, all of the stolen vehicles he's seen driving wildly are police cars. Second, the majority of crimes being committed are all stolen goods or damage to public property. And thirdly, the average age of perpetrators are young 20-somtehings, but range from 14 to 32. Excluding one soccer mom leaving her kids in the van to steal some money from an old lady and two older fathers with their young teens breaking into a store.
                              GM - Super Framily Plan

Comment

Working...
                              X