No announcement yet.

My Velociraptor Ate My Homework (Full)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e IC] My Velociraptor Ate My Homework (Full)

Year One: Shouldn't You Be in Class?

At 8:00 in the morning, all of the parents dropping off their students had been shuffled off to meet with Headmaster Hunter Vaughan. The headmaster had once been a costumed superhero operating under the code name of Midnight Ride. Colonial themed, he battled several generations of supervillains despite lacking overt powers beyond a greatly reduced aging. As technology, superhuman serums, and other forms of parahuman abilities evolved, Vaughan hung up his costume and allowed his sidekick Liberty Lantern to take over as his replacement.

Hunter Vaughan

While their parents have either left or joined the entourage around the retired Midnight Ride, Tyffani Forbes, Bobbie Jones, and Karen Chambers find a girl slightly older than them waiting for them in the office. "I'm Norah," she greets. "You must be Bobbie, Karen, and Tyffani."

Norah

When the four girls are outside, she points out several landmarks. "Our final destination here is Olimpia House. It's named after Menagerie, the famous animal shapechanger. The dorms there are girls-only." Explaining further, she adds: "Don't try to sneak boys in. Our hall monitor is a little feral. She'll sniff them out." In a whisper, she notes: "Seriously, fleas..."

In addition to their rooms, each girl gets a locker between the classrooms, large enough to hold books and any emergency gear that the students might need for medical reasons or to keep their powers - if they have yet manifested - under control.

As she passes by one of the buildings, she indicates that it is Ms. Loris's homeroom. All of the girls present are in that class even though their other classes vary. Next, Norah points out the auditorium, the gym, the cafeteria, the library, the greenhouse, the workshop, and the sports fields.

In the courtyards, the girls can see several other tours led by older students. A group of boys several dozen feet away even has what looks like a velociraptor with them.

Meanwhile, Grayson Meyers, Joshua Lopez, Oth Owen, Roman Roache and Terry King walk with a boy who must be around 14 years old. His name is Seth. He continues his explanation, "The food is actually really good. We've got a professional chef who used to be a power too. You can get more food than you should because the girls never eat anything. Just go back for seconds and say that your powers make you need to eat more. It even works with dessert." He stops and lets the boys take everything in. "We've got a vending machine in the dorm but there's no campus store. We can go off campus to the store there..." He points out a convenience store and then explains where a grocery store and other amenities are further down various roads. "But you have to have a junior or senior with you if it's further than a mile away. Only kids 16 and up can have cars in the lot either. Oh yeah, and be back on campus before 8:00 or you'll be in for it."

Seth

The visitors also see Moyses, the bulky Latino man tasked with protecting the academy and its students. Seth waves cheerily to the suited man, who simply nods in acknowledgement. "He's a power controller," Seth explains. "He can grab hold of people's powers and make them work like he wants, or he can just shut them down."

Moyses

Finally, Seth points out Avram house. "That Aviator hall... well, Avram House, but we all call it that because Ambrose Avram, the Aviator, he donated the money for it." He doesn't have to explain after everything the boys have seen, but he makes it explicit: "That's where we all stay. It's pretty cool. We have to do our own laundry, but we've got a games room, a little kitchen, and all sorts of stuff like that."
    Last edited by RedBstrd; 10-18-2014, 03:24 PM.
    World Moved On - GM (IC, OOC)
    Valor Unlimited - GM (IC, OOC)
    My Velociraptor Ate My Homework - GM (IC, OOC)

Re: My Velociraptor Ate My Homework (Full)

GM Post:

According to the two guides showing around new students, the academy started up in the 1960s, when Vaughan retired. His sidekick Liberty Lantern initially took over his mantle as the heir to the Midnight Ride's place in the superhero community. The sidekick, now known to be a man named Tyson Prescott, ultimately opted not to assume the name of Midnight Ride, nor keep the title of Liberty Lantern. His sidekick name had been a reference to the lanterns that republicans hung on "liberty trees" before and during the American Revolution. The reference, understandably, was lost of supervillains, fellow heroes, and the public alike, so Prescott ultimately adopted the code name of Ghost Light (a variant of Will o' the Wisp).

With the new title, Prescott frightened villains until several years ago, when a robotic science teacher at Vaughan Academy "went bad." The robot was revealed to be the creation of a supervillain named Heron, a Greek battlesuit wearing super genius with a flair for making her creations bird-themed. After the robot was defeated, Prescott agreed to take over as a temporary science teacher at Vaughan Academy until a more suitable permanent recruit could be found. Ghost Light's powers include light and radiation control, plus flight.

Ghost Light in costume

Tyson Prescott, science teacher at Vaughan Academy

The staff at Vaughan Academy is not the only known set of superheroes:
    Originally posted by Famous Superheroes
    The Aviator - A Silver Age hero whose real name was Ambrose Avram. The aviator was capable of flight and controlling kinetic energy. He donated a great deal to the Vaughan Academy in his will.

The Guardian - Paragon hero active in the 1960s up until the present. Son of the Mason. Father of two students at V.A.: Anthony and Grayson Meyers.

Ibis - An African American hero who gained his powers from some mystical encounter in Egypt. He could detect and control the powers of other supers, plus had limited regeneration.

The Mason - Brick hero able to turn into a juggernaut of stone. Active in the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. Part of the American team sent to fight in WWII. Son of Zoom and father of the Guardian.

Menagerie - A female superhero who could shapeshift into any animal or a pastiche of several. Her real name was Sabine Olimpia, which she revealed in a memoir following her retirement. Menagerie donated enough money to Vaughan Academy for a dorm to bear her name.

The Ringmaster - A costumed magician from the 1960s and 1970s. Well past his prime, the Ringmaster still gets dragged into matters of the occult.

Samson - An immortal hero who seems to be a perfect specimen of mankind.

Scimitar - A pulp era wrestler from Indio. Despite his Arab-themed costume, he was actually Caucasian. Scimitar became a crime fighter as the first generations of costumed villains became active.

Trident - A silver age hero claiming to be a prince from Atlantis. Really, he was only from Atlanta, Georgia. He was institutionalized in the 1980s after reportedly hearing whispered messages from the depths of the oceans, warning of an ancient great evil rising to devour mankind.

The Vindicator - A costumed gadgeteer widely considered to be the greatest living detective.

Zoom - Speedster hero active in the 1920s and 1930s. Known as one of the quickest men alive. Father of The Mason.
    Originally posted by Famous Supervillains
    Creature - A male villain whose appearance became increasingly monstrous the angrier he grew.

Domino - Morphing villain with mastery of at least two forms of martial arts.

Freefall - A gravity-controlling female super villain. She is known for flinging heroes into the sky and then letting them drop for bone-crunching results.

K.I.L.L. - A whole criminal organization made up of the partnership of two duplicators. The pair have never disclosed what "K.I.L.L." stands for, making some heroes suspect that it is just supposed to sound cool. Predictably formed during the early 1990s.

The Monarch - A reincarnated Mongol warlord, the Monarch's reign of terror in the 1980s lasted only long enough for him to realize that science and technology had come a long way since the 14th century. Instead of fighting superheroes for dominance of the globe, the reformed villain settled into a regular job and apparently spends his days playing video games and enjoying modern conveniences.

Prodigy - A female villain with muscle memory: the ability to replicate any feat of physical prowess that she witnesses.

Project: Janus - A mysterious criminal organization led by a teleporting super villain with precognition. The aims of the group remain unknown but he seems to have access to super science technology and the criminal organization has some cult-like undertones.

Saurus Rex - Reptilian villain with a flair for the dramatic. His ambitions exceed his abilities, particularly in regard to super science.

Siren - A mind-controlling female super villain capable of flight.

Spectacle - An illusionist villain who often tested his abilities against the Ringmaster and came up short.

Tachyon - German speedster villain. Said to give Zoom a run for his money even in the retired hero's prime. Specializes in high speed robberies.
    Originally posted by Other Faculty and Staff
    Jean Saint-Yves - Chef at V.A. Formerly the French superhero named Meteor Man (L'homme météore), Jean is over the hill, overweight, and more interested in making sauces than he is in exerting himself.

Pandora - Nurse at V.A. She possesses the abilities to heal wounds and to identify powers in superpowered individuals. In select instances, she has been able to regrow lost limbs, but she cannot reliably do so. Likewise, her ability to detect and identify powers only consistently works on adults or those whose powers have fully manifested. According to rumors, she has been on several short-lived superhero teams but none of them quite worked out. Pandora is either her real or assumed first name (to protect her civilian identity for this job), though she has gone by several code names in the past.

Sage - Groundskeeper at V.A. Sage is a wise and knowledgeable individual... and also an animate plant.

Comment

GM Post:

Each of the students receives a small brochure describing the rules of Vaughan Academy:

Originally posted by Code of Conduct at Vaughan Academy
      1. Violence - Violence toward fellow students, faculty, staff, or visitors is strictly forbidden except in consensual monitored environments such as a supervised danger room or combat simulation setting. Bullying will be harshly punished.

2. Power usage - Power usage is allowed except when it violates other school rules. Students are discouraged from any displays of superhuman abilities off-campus or within view of visitors or individuals off-campus.

3. Reading minds - Students may not read the minds of their peers, faculty or staff, or visitors to the school unless given express permission. Reading minds for the purpose of sharing answers in the classroom is cheating. Mind control and other forms of power usage on peers, faculty and staff, or visitors is not allowed without consent of the second party.

4. Code names and costumes - In order to extend protection to students, their families, and the surrounding community, students are not allowed to adopt costumes or use code names, as that sort of behavior will attract notice before, during, or after incidents. In the event of encounters with local law enforcement for any reason, students are obligated to comply with all demands, except they should refuse to disclose their identities and should immediately contact faculty at V.A. for assistance.

5. Leaving campus - Students may only leave campus after classes have ended but before curfew, during lunch, or after dawn but before morning classes. Venturing further than one mile from campus requires parent permission or an accompanying student of age 16 or older. On weekends, students have unrestricted access to the surrounding area until 10:00 pm, which is the time of curfew. On weekdays, curfew is 8:00 pm and all students must remain on campus past that time.

Comment

Joshua Lopez
        HP: 2

Joshua walked quietly behind Seth, trying to keep up with the speech of the older student through the yammering of the spirits about him. I never should have let them know I could hear them. Once a ghost started talking, they took a long time to stop. No need to breathe, years of things to say, a certain single-mindedness about their purpose on this Earth... it all added up. The sole exception was also the most ominous one. Joshua's Abuelo, his mother's father, stood quietly at the edge, and stared silently with a sad look on his face. Ever since they had left the house, he had been like this.
        Something did not go right there... he stopped stockstill at the threshold and began straining, parts of him tearing as they strained until he was susddenly free, and following Joshua, silently judging. Well, it feels like he's judging me. Joshua ducked his head, catching the last bit of Seth's spiel about Avram House. He quietly asked one of the spirits to repeat back what had been said, and he raised his hand.

"Ah, Seth? You say Moyses can stop and control all powers? No matter where they came from?"
        [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
        [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Karen Chambers
          HP: 1

Karen wasn't as much following Norah as orbiting her - and it wasn't a simple elliptic orbit, either, but something akin to Ptolemy's model, full of cycles and epycycles, with Karen keeping right next to their guide one moment and dashing away in the random direction seconds later to take a better look at the next thing that got her interested - well, that could be explained somewhat... it was Karen's first time at school of any kind, let alone one for metahumans.

"Why would we want to sneak boys in?" she asked with a blink as Norah mentioned the dorm rule, "Or sneak into their dorm ourselves, for that matter - what would happen it we tried that, by the way? Just curious." With her short haircut, and clad in shorts, t-shirt and sneakers, Karen herself was kinda boyish-looking.

"Oh, and the booklet said we can use our tricks as long as we don't harm anyone, right?" she suddenly realized. The next moment she waved her hands in a complicated motion and a long black cloak - too long given the girl's height, actually, so its hem dragged on the floor - fell onto her shoulders, equally black top hat appearing on her head. Taking the head off, she reached inside and took out a pair of roller skates - the kind you strap to the shoes. "I like it already!"

Comment

GM Post:

Seth considers Joshua's question. "Uhhhhh, that's a good one. I think he can, except for you know technology and maybe magic. For most of us, yeah, we'd be good not to get on his bad side." He smiles in a friendly way. "You have brothers? Ever played 'why you hittin' yourself?' That's how it would be."

Across the campus - Norah smiles a little in response to Karen's question. "When you get a bit older, you might find that boys aren't so bad. Some of the boys here are just so dreamy." Not caring to elaborate further, she takes up the next question. "I think you'd get detention and have to spend your lunches and maybe some afterschool time sitting with the trouble kids. You know, like the kids who smoke and have piercings. They're the ones that aren't going to get into a big superhero team when they graduate. Fall in with them and you might have to even get..." She leans in and whispers conspiratorially: "... a job instead."

Confident that her "scared straight" moment did the trick, she resumes her normal posture just in time for some boys to walk by. "Hi Norah," several say in chorus. She smiles and waves a little back at them. Tyffani realizes that one of the boys is checking her out as well. When the boys pass, the newly arrived students still can hear the boys talking: "Whoa, that new girl. Did you see her? She was at least an 8..." The rest of the conversation is inaudible.

"Hell yeah," Norah answers, excited by Karen's question regarding power usage. She then stretches her body like a snake and circles around the cluster of new students, wrapping them up like a hula hoop without touching anyone. She then puts up a hand for the newly garbed Karen to give five. Finally, she undoes her elongation trick and returns to her normal body shape.

A pair of boys walks by the girls right after. One is talking about some card game where zombie pirates can fight robot ninjas, but they both stop talking when they get close to the girls. Neither makes eye contact with Norah nor with the entourage of new students. One of the boys, though, notes quietly: "No roller stakes... I mean roller skates... in the halls." He doesn't look directly at Karen, nor does he stop for a response.

Back with the other group - Seth looks over the group of boys. "Anyone got questions?"

Comment

Karen Chambers

"OK, OK", Karen sighed, stuffing the skates back into the hat and placing it back onto her head. It was a pretty reasonable rule anyway. But then... she just had to be sure. "Boards and bicycles are off-limits too, of course? What about unicycle?" Because at least one shopping mall in a town some couple hundred miles away had that rule explicitely written out. Karen chuckled. Oh yes, now it had. "Oh, and - wow! Does it hurt? How do your clothes stay on when you stretch like that? Did you have to train to use that ability?"

Comment

Joshua Lopez

Joshua nodded at Seth's answer. Huh... maybe Mom was right about every power coming from the same source. I dunno about it all being from divine intervention though. What about the villains? Unless the Devil's doing it too? He left that question unvoiced, but added a voiced one.

"Um, I hope it's not supposed to be a secret, but are we training to be superheroes?"

OOC
                ^_^ Addressing the elephant in the room.

[url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

GM Post:

Norah ponders the question, "Unicycles are probably off limits in the halls and the class rooms." She spreads her hands out, indicating the courtyard. "But anything's fine out here. Anyway, my clothes stay on because they're made for it. Mrs. Shikoba - she runs the Home Ec classes - makes clothes for us supers if we need them because of powers. Like clothes that go invisible, clothes that don't burn, all that stuff. She's really good. She used to work in Tokyo for the fashion industry but then she realized that her son could turn into a giant scorpion or something, so she asked to work here. Mr. Vaughan gets some neat material for her to use. I think it comes from secret government labs... or maybe superheroes donate it." She ponders the issue for a minute.

"You'll get the chance to practice powers soon. First they teach the theory, then they give you practice," she explains. "P.E. is often full of powers. You'll get a chance to try some things out, push yourself, and learn to work as a team. Most powers don't hurt you to use them, but everyone's different and that's OK."

Comment

Bobbie Jones [sheet]

Bobbie had kept quiet during the tour, her greeting to their guide somewhere between a nod and grunt. Norah had pretty much introduced them already, Bobbie didn't see the point in going further. Coming here hadn't been her idea, it'd been her dad's. A part of her understood but it meant being away from family and friends. She didn't like it.

She wore a leather jacket and torn jeans, her hands stuffed into her pockets as she walked. She brushed some of her shoulder-length dark brown out of her eyes, giving Tyffani a hard, but subtle look as some of the boys passing their group talked about her. Bobbie wasn't beautiful, not even pretty, really. Not that she cared. Her face was a little too hard, a little too wild. She didn't care what people thought of her and she wore it like a badge of pride.

She didn't expect to get along much with Norah or Karen, or Tyffani for that matter. The first two were too bubbly, she didn't know how to respond to that. And Tyffani, well, she felt too prissy to Bobbie's liking. She looked around at campus at the other groups they passed by. Maybe some of the boys here wouldn't be much better company if the card games where anything to go by.

Her body-language shifted slightly, like a mastiff bristling to be let off it's leash. Then Karen pulled her magic tricks and drew Bobbie's attention back to their group. Her face softened as a smile spread across her face and she spoke for the first time. "Can you pull anything out of that hat of yours?"
                    Otso Karell, codenamed Ursa, on New Vindicators Academy of Europe.

Comment

GM Post:

Seth smiles, "Well, I am! I've got the ability to force people to do things just by ordering them. I can be all 'Hey guy, drop that gun. Stand on one foot. Count 3 million grains of sand.' They have to listen. It's all kinds of awesome." He looks at the new students and motions in the direction of the school. "But not everyone is. Some kids just want to learn not to hurt their friends and family with their powers. Some kids just want to be able to fit in with people like them. I mean, there's one kid that can breathe underwater and talk to fish. That's not gonna help him be a superhero or anything, but it's still neat and he might as well learn to use it well without people thinking he's a freak." Seth then laughs, "But serious, that guy's name is Kay Tarragon. Don't sit near him if you're going to eat fish. He'll lose it on you..."

Comment

Karen Chambers

"Well, not really... it has to fit, you see, and nothing too complex... roller skates are pretty much as hard as I can go now - and sometimes they come off with the wheels that don't really spin..." Karen chuckled again, "And books turn out either full of gibberish, or blank pages. Can do snacks, though - taste OK, and don't make you fat... don't make you less hungry either, though." she reached into the hat and pulled out a chocolate bar, "Anyone want one?"

Comment

Joshua Lopez

Joshua nodded. "Huh," he said. Well, I guess I didn't do so badly, being able to talk to ghosts... at least I get an intelligent conversation from them. A gabble of nearly incoherent English drew his attention to Mad Molly, the ghost of a deceased baglady who seemed to have imprinted on Josh as being her son despite Maggie being of very evident Irish descent with her tangled red hair and too-pale skin. She knew a lot, though, about the city and other things. Joshua could never tell just how old she was. She claimed to have been an early American settler, but then again, she'd also claimed to be the Queen of England in hiding and the one true descendant of Merlin. He smiled ruefully and shook his head. Just goes to show that people are just as crazy in death as in life.

"So is that like a club? Extra credit sessions? Or do you have classes?" Inwardly, Joshua imagined a class on Cape Swishing 101 with an instructor standing up front and showing off the proper flourishes, and he couldn't keep the wide smile off of this face. He glanced around at his prospective classmates and wondered how many of them planned on becoming superheroes. The black kid — Nathaniel maybe? — certainly seemed riveted as the Aviator hall was mentioned, sounding the name out under his breath as if trying something on for size. Maybe he's figuring on following in his footsteps? The thought made his rescan the group again. I wonder how many of these guys come from families with powers... He himself had yet to decide whether his ability to communicate with ghosts was a "power" or just a matter of happening to see things others couldn't. His musings were interrupted with the cool impression of a hand on his shoulder. He looked over at where his grandfather's hand rested lightly on his shoulder. Joshua found himself tearing up slightly.

"I will make you proud, Abuelo," he whispered, then focused back on Seth and the rest.

Comment

Greyson Meyers
                            HP: 1, Condition: Normal

Greyson was finally here. 4 years of training, one of which had also been spent begging, had finally paid off. If any place could train him to become stronger and help people, to become a hero, it was this place. Greyson merely stood silently as Seth went through the orientation spiel, his normal serious expression adorning his face as he took everything in. He was dressed simply in a fitted t-shirt and jeans, his short black hair left unstyled. He still has the typical scrawny build of a 12 year old boy, but those looking close enough would notice that he a fair amount of lean muscle attached to that frame.

There tour guide, Seth, looked to be about Anthony's age. Greyson started to wonder if he knew him or even if they were friends. Judging that Seth had yet to scowl at him yet he was guessing not, but Seth could just be good at hiding his feelings or not realize who Greyson was yet. Joshua seemed to have a lot of questions, many of them revolving around powers and becoming a hero. While Greyson was interested in the answer to Joshua's latest question, he had question of his own as well and decided to go ahead an speak up now rather than waiting for Seth to respond. "Is there a place for students to work out? Like the gym? Or is that reserved for classes only?"

Comment

Originally posted by Weyrd View Post
                              Greyson Meyers
                              "Is there a place for students to work out? Like the gym? Or is that reserved for classes only?"
                              Terry does his best to do a closed lip smile, people of this world didn't seem to take too well to the look of his teeth, before piping up. "Well, even if the gym is reserved, the whole place is one big workout room. You just have to think outside the box. Parkour, rock pulls, stair climbs, foot races, arm wrestling. The list is endless."
                              ^( ;,; )^

My Builds

Comment

Working...
                              X