Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Take Back The Night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [2e IC] Take Back The Night

    Dusk is settling in Middle America. The sky over Kettle, Nebraska is a majestic orange and there enough cool air to be crisp. You guys happen to be escaping from that. A hole in the wall joint called Mercy's Tavern. Bob Seger calls from the jukebox. Plenty of alcohol too. Of course theres some tough looking dude muscling around a pool table. Towards the back there's a handsy type couple who are half a step away from needing a room. Next to the neckers is a corkboard with some Wanted posters. The seeming prize of the whole joint is a bucking bronco machine.
    Games I Play In: Miracle High, Misfits of the New World

  • #2
    Re: Take Back The Night

    Gerald Buford
    HP: 1
    Status: Uneasy


    Gerald sat stiffly in the corner of the bar, a largely untouched beer before him, gathering the occasional curious fly before he waved it off. His one shoulder felt unnaturally light without the familiar weight of his rifle, but he knew the truck was the right place for it. Too much chance to cause trouble in a bar. The front door jingled and another patron walked in. He tensed ad he surveyed the entrant, then relaxed as the man turned to a group and greeted them in familiar tones.
    Not my contact...

    Gerald had had a close encounter with a critter in the forest, looked like a panther with its face skinned off, was savaging the deer. He'd driven it back with a fusillade of bullets, but it had seemed more discomfited than injured. He'd heard through the grapevine that there was a monster hunter named Christina in the area who might know more, so he sent her a letter requesting aid. She'd arranged to meet him here, probably too vet whether he was on the up and up. And so, he waited.
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

    [b]Current games:[/b]
    [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Take Back The Night

      Christina Wade
      HP: 1
      Condition: normal


      Christina was never sure what to think when she was meeting with a new potential client for the first time. Some times they were normal people who had found out just how crazy the world really is, like she used to be. Other times they were crackpots that may or may not even have a real case. The contact that gave her this lead thought this Gerald guy sounded legit, but she would have to see.

      She got into town earlier today, grabbed some lunch at the local diner, read through the local paper, and did the crossword to relax. She chatted up the diner staff some, and they all said this Gerald fella was an odd bird. Christina really hoped this wasn't a waste of time driving out here. Still, what did half the people who used to know her say about her? Most of them thought she flipped her lid and never recovered after the death of her partner so long ago now.

      She got the basic lay of the town over the course of the afternoon and kept an ear open for rumors. She heard a few people describing some odd things in the forest outside of town lately. Even with those rumors, Gerald seemed to be thought of as the town nut job and recluse. Apparently the one place in (or on the edge of) town that he did seem to visit often was the local bar she was supposed to meet him at later.

      OOC: Gather Information roll for what she picked up in town. 1d20+5=13
      Later that night:
      Christina sat in her truck in the bar parking lot watching for a while. The place seems to have a healthy flow of patrons, but nothing that raised alarms.

      She figured in a country setting like this the bouncer would be smart enough to make people check their guns at the door, so she removed her holster and shoved it partially under her seat to hide it. She didn't think there would be trouble, but her knife and the stun gun in her pocket was more than enough to take down most human targets if things turned ugly. She made sure she had a small handful of stakes and a couple vials of holy water tucked into the loops sewn into the coat lining, but didn't dare grab more than 2-3 of each to avoid drawing unwanted attention. Her crossbow and grenades she didn't even give a second glance in a public setting like this; grabbing either of them way as well have been waving a red flag in front of any self respecting bouncer. Her background as a cop and her time since had taught her how to carry herself in a range of situations, and even if someone stopped her, she was licensed and always carried her credentials in her wallet. At least the crucifix around her neck almost never caused waves in rural areas like this.

      She walked into the bar and looked around for a second before going up to the main bar and ordering a beer.
      1d20+7=14 notice check
      She thought she spotted someone that might be Gerald based on the description she had. She took her beer and walked over to his table.

      Christina asked, "Mind if I join you?"
      Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
      [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Take Back The Night

        Gerald Buford
        HP: 1
        Status: Normal


        Gerald straightened slightly, releasing the earthy scent trapped in the folds of his clothing.
        "Free country," he said, his voice creaky with disuse, "Name's Gerald. And you would be..."
        [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

        [b]Current games:[/b]
        [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Take Back The Night

          Christina Wade
          HP: 1
          Condition: normal

          "Gerald Buford, the hunter? Christina Wade, or Chris is you like, nice to make your acquantence. I'm a hunter of sorts as well, though usually of men..and some times other things. I think you were expecting me.


          Christina looked the man over for a second and smelled the scent of his clothes. Local nut or real case this man definately smelled of a hunter that knew the woods better than most, the way he held himself did nothing to make her think any differently either. She sat down at the stool to his side; most would have sat directly across from him for their conversation, but she didn't want her back to the door, to hard to keep an eye on her surroundings that way. She offered her hand to him straight up and down to shake on their meeting, not slanted to either side. She offered it as an equal, not trying to vie for dominance placing her hand over his or offering any submission letting him place his over hers.
          Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
          [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Take Back The Night

            Shanna Smith
            HP: 1
            Condition: Unharmed
            Status: Shark


            Over at the pool table, Shanna is racking table after table against the cowboys who seems to think she's just another young face. It started out simple with her playing the dumb little girl who was 'just learning' how to knock the balls around. Slowly but surely she would up her game. Right now she has enough for rent this month. Of course, the cowboys are 'letting her win'. Shanna visits these smaller town bars just for this reason, easy pickings. After fleecing two or three of them, the big cowboy steps up. Shanna's seen him play. He's good. Good as her? Remains to be seen. Time to rackem up.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Take Back The Night

              Valerie Moon
              HP: 1 Condition: Normal

              Valerie approach the building. She could hear the wind whistle past it and the other structures along this street. She could hear the creak of materials as the color air of night started to make them contract. From inside this particular building she could hear music, the clinking of glasses, and the dull murmur of a multitude of conversations. This was obviously the bar she had been told about. She had only recently gotten into town, dropped off by the last car she had hitchhiked with. Most people would make straight for some area of lodging, but not Valerie. She headed straight towards the centers for gossip in a town (which 99% of the time was bar.) Before she would even consider spending any of the paltry amount of money she had left, she wanted to be sure there was something of interest to her in the area. Otherwise she would immediately hit the road again.

              Hoodie drawn up over her head she entered the bar, head angled downward so that as few people as possible would notice that she had a blindfold over her eyes. She tried not to stand out when she went places, but it was hard to do. Whether she wore the blindfold or not, people would always wonder...what had happened to her eyes. Sitting down at the bar she simply said, "Hot water please," to the bartender. The bartender shook his head and started saying, "Sorry lady, but you're going to have to order an actual dri..." he trailed off when she looked up and he noticed her blindfold. Something about the blind/disabled, people just didn't want to argue or deal with them. "I'll see what I can do," he says instead and heads in back towards the kitchen.

              Eventually he comes back with a coffee pot and coffee mug and places it in front of her. For those that can see it is obvious that these are for personal use, probably grabbed from some back office. But Valerie doesn't notice and simply thanks the man. She pulls some dried leaves from a front pocket of her hoodie and steeps them in the hot water, taking a sip once some time has passed. The taste is very bitter, but unlike the other beverages this establishment sells, this would not dull her senses.

              Already she could hear other patrons whispering about her. Word spreading of the odd blind woman drinking tea at the bar, but she wasn't interested in that. Focusing, she shuts out their whispers. Instead she starts listening to snippets of other conversations, listening for anything out of the ordinary that might interest her. It was amazing how honest and forthcoming people got when they assumed no one else could hear them over the din of the bar.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Take Back The Night

                Gerald Buford
                HP: 1
                Status: Normal


                Gerald nods. "Wrote to you," he said, pulling a crumpled piece of paper out of his pocket and setting it on the table. It's seen better days, the ink blurred from exposure to the elements, obviously repeatedly crumpled and smoothed out, "Ran into things in the woods, things that wouldn't go down when you killed 'em, heard you might be able to help, looks like mountain lions with their heads skinned off, kill the deers and don't even eat none of 'em." The last is said in a tone of extreme disapproval.
                "So, sound familiar?"
                [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

                [b]Current games:[/b]
                [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Take Back The Night

                  Santiago
                  HP: 1
                  Condition: Thirsty


                  Things were not too bad in Santiago's world. His last job had been lucrative enough. Always good to take on work for a church. Not only did he get a tidy "donation" but he got the blessing on Mary Anne topped off to boot. Santiago had no idea if a blessing could actually run out, but hey, better safe than sorry. Granted, what looked like a simple zombie situation in the local cemetery had turned out to be a ghoul taking up residence. Whatever. Santiago didn't mind. As long as it went down after you hit it long enough to give it a gas bath and matchbook chaser, it was all good.

                  Now, flush with enough cash to keep him comfortable for at least two weeks, Santiago had decided to relax a bit. He pulled his bike, Ginger, up to bar and parked right in front of the big front window. It was habit for Santiago for multiple reasons. For one, people were less likely to mess with a bike if they thought the owner might be able to see them. For another, if any supernatural crap hit the fan, Santiago was only a sheet of plate glass away from Mary Anne. And whether it was the baddie, a bar stool, or himself that was breaking that glass, he didn't particularly care.

                  As Santiago entered the bar, he felt at home. All good low class bars had a particular atmosphere, and this one was no exception. It was comfortable. No one here was judging any one, just relaxing. As he surveyed the scene, he gave a mental high five to the guy in the back booth with his girl. No question he was getting lucky tonight. With that in mind, he decided to scope his own prospect for a bit of horizontal companionship. Let's see.... blind girl drinking tea? Hot, but probably lots of baggage. Then there was... oh you have got to be kidding. As Santiago noticed Chris, he was torn. Even if she didn't carry a badge, there was a definite air of cop around that one. Then again, she was a smart hunter, and if she was here, maybe there was another job around...

                  Santiago sat down at the bar a few stools down from the tea girl. "Hey buddy, two fingers of Jack, neat. And send the same to the lady back there," Santiago said, indicating Chris. "Tell her it's by way of an apology."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Take Back The Night

                    Christina
                    HP: 1
                    Condition: normal


                    Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
                    Gerald Buford
                    HP: 1
                    Status: Normal


                    Gerald nods. "Wrote to you," he said, pulling a crumpled piece of paper out of his pocket and setting it on the table. It's seen better days, the ink blurred from exposure to the elements, obviously repeatedly crumpled and smoothed out, "Ran into things in the woods, things that wouldn't go down when you killed 'em, heard you might be able to help, looks like mountain lions with their heads skinned off, kill the deers and don't even eat none of 'em." The last is said in a tone of extreme disapproval.
                    "So, sound familiar?"
                    The desciption could have been more detailed, Chris stopped and thought for a minute about the possibilities. She had heard of a few things that might match that description, but the first thing that came to mind was a hell hounds, ehich usually meant something larger was lurking around somewhere.

                    OOC: Knowledge arcane check: 1d20+4=20
                    @RG: I figure that's close enough to have some idea, but how much does she know?
                    "I might know what it was, but can you give me any more details to help narrow it down. Was any of the deer eaten at all? Some things only care about one particular part or another, usually the heart."

                    About then the beer came. "By way of an apology from the gentleman over there" the waitress said. Chris looked over to see him. He must have come in while she was concentrating on the description; she was tempted to do knock him off his barstool, but business came first. At least he had the good sense to send an apology after their last run in, but it would take more than a beer to make up for grabbing a bounty from her after she had already done half the work on that case. If she couldn't narrow down what this thing was or what it would take to kill it then maybe he would get the chance to make things even after all.

                    She pulled a pen out and wrote a quick note on teh back of a napkin,
                    "Here to steal another bounty from me? It will take a lot more than one drink to even the scales, Santiago."
                    and asked the waitress to give it to him when she had a chance. Christina knew how hard most good waitresses worked, and that they basically lived on tips, so she handed the woman a couple dollars as a tip for the service with the note. Christina also knew how much Santiago hated people knowing his real name. Still it wasn't that hard to run the registration on a plate when you were licensed, or the background check for that matter.
                    Last edited by digitalangel; 10-14-2014, 07:16 AM.
                    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
                    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Take Back The Night

                      Gerald Buford
                      HP: 1
                      Status: Normal


                      Gerald shrugged. "Didn't seem to eat nothing, just tore out its throat. Mighta been lickin' at the blood, hard to say. Thing is, I shot it. I know I did, saw it stagger slightly from the impact. And it didn't seem to like that, but it also didn't seem too badly hurt for getting shot. Don't like things that don't fall down when they're shot. Not sporting." He frowned and shifted the glass back and forth an inch or so at a time, watching the amber liquid inside slosh.
                      "I know there are unexplained things out there... doesn't take more than a night or two in the woods and open eyes to see it. Think I'm outta my depth here."
                      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

                      [b]Current games:[/b]
                      [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Take Back The Night

                        A few minutes after Santiago entered Mercy's Tavern, Hue climbed out of the semi cab parked across the street from the bar and waited a moment as a massive dog leapt down next to him. The two quickly make their way across the street and into the bar. Pausing in the door way for a moment, Hue scans the crowd, quickly placing the people he was looking for. He then walks up to the bar and orders a cola of some sort (either Pepsi or Coke depending on what they have) before making his way back to the cork board and wanted posters, though keeping his distance from the handsy couple as best he can. Through out all of this the dog stays perfectly silent and never strays from an attentive heel position just to Hue's left.
                        ^( ;,; )^


                        My Builds

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Take Back The Night

                          OOC: Everyone make Notice checks.
                          Games I Play In: Miracle High, Misfits of the New World

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Take Back The Night

                            Christina Wade
                            HP:1
                            Condition: normal


                            Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
                            Gerald Buford
                            HP: 1
                            Status: Normal


                            Gerald shrugged. "Didn't seem to eat nothing, just tore out its throat. Mighta been lickin' at the blood, hard to say. Thing is, I shot it. I know I did, saw it stagger slightly from the impact. And it didn't seem to like that, but it also didn't seem too badly hurt for getting shot. Don't like things that don't fall down when they're shot. Not sporting." He frowned and shifted the glass back and forth an inch or so at a time, watching the amber liquid inside slosh.
                            "I know there are unexplained things out there... doesn't take more than a night or two in the woods and open eyes to see it. Think I'm outta my depth here."
                            Christina listens to Gerald's description of what happens, and downs the shot before answering. That will wake you up.

                            "It sounds like you hit it, though it may not have been a kill shot. Normal bullets will take down some things; other take more.

                            Different critters need killing different ways: wood, silver, iron, salt, garlic, sunlight, decapitation, burning its bones, holy water, or fire. One of those will take down almost anything. The hard part is usually figuring out exactly what you are hunting and what will hurt it, and then having to get close enough to finish the job in one piece.


                            OOC: Ugh, horrible notice roll 1d20+7=9
                            Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
                            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Take Back The Night

                              Gerald Buford
                              HP: 1
                              Status: Normal


                              Gerald nodded, then froze, not a sudden shuddering halt you saw when people tried to suddenly be completely still, but instead a smooth cessation of motion that would cause the eye of most animals to just skip them over as part of the background. The only part of him that moved were his eyes as they quickly scanned the bar.


                              OOC
                              Notice: (1d20+12=28) is good.
                              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

                              [b]Current games:[/b]
                              [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X