Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e IC] World Moved On (Full): Chapter 5, the Dark Tower

World Moved On (IC): Chapter 5, the Dark Tower

In which the ka-tet, having dreamed long dreams of the Dark Tower, finally faces long-hated foes before marching to the end of the world for some unimaginable final battle. As a great horn blows, the ka-tet reaches the point where all worlds, all universes, meet at a single nexus, a single pylon... a Tower - and within it, a stairway, perhaps rising to the Godhead itself. The chapter also in which Gaynor the Damned makes his bid for power and the ka-tet must stop the nearly immortal sorcerer before he dares to climb to the top of the stairway to rule over endless reality.

The ka-tet had come a long way since the Man in Black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed...

The man with apprentice pistols was the first to walk the path of the beams, surviving a trap by Marten Broadcloak, the Man in Black. The grizzled veteran was Owen Armistead, a failed gunslinger, who drew from the tarot deck of the Man in Black and placed in front of himself the cards of the Beast, the Gambler, the Wolf, and the Freeman. These men were to be the first incarnation of his ka-tet. Adrian Speck, the Beast, was a boy warped by Chaos and torture into a monstrous but mute form. His powerful body contained an even stronger mind, capable of breaking even the beams holding up the Tower. Russ Jones, the Gambler, was a poker player who bragged of his great luck. Owen suspected that he ended up on the wrong end of a gun on another level of the Tower, but the Gambler was a true student of ka. Russ called it luck, but Owen was sure that Purpose was what guided the Gambler's moves. Later, a member of the ka-tet claimed that Russ did not only follow luck, he could even bend the universe to his will. Next was the Wolf, a Granbretaner named Bron Kalkulus. He was a soldier and engineer, wielding a fiery spear and a suit of armor hinting of technology still wielded before the world moved on. Finally, the first ka-tet included the Freeman Jhondak. Once a noble, Jhondak was enslaved by worshipers of the Red known as the Pan Tang. The soldier fought in arenas, labored as a slave, and battled armies. Owen knew his will to be indomitable and sensed a strong aptitude with the Touch in him.

Once assembled, the ka-tet tracked the Man in Black into a city called Quarzhasaat. Once the capital of a great empire, Quarzhasaat was a metaphorical dead man walking. The city still retained powerful and wealthy nobles, such as Lord Gho Fhaazi, the host of the Man in Black. While confronting Fhaazi, the ka-tet learned that three Can-toi "low men" were assisting the Man in Black. Unfortunately, both Bron and the Beast fell into the captivity of these creatures. One of the low men, however, betrayed his peers and swore fealty to the gunslingers of the Line of Eld. He called himself Pablo Cobain. After killing one of his own, the low man helped the ka-tet reunite with Bron. The Beast, however, was beyond help as the Man in Black fled with his telepathically-gifted prize. Shortly thereafter, the ka-tet left the estates of Lord Gho, reluctant to linger long around the White Wolf - Elric of Melniboné - and his demonic rune blade. The albino sorcerer prince had killed Lord Gho and promised to put the other lords of the city to the sword. The surviving troops loyal to Lord Gho Fhaazi's rallied behind an assassin-sorcerer of the Moth Brotherhood, ibn Daud, who hunted after the ka-tet.

After fleeing from ibn Daud through a magic portal away from the Young Kingdoms, the ka-tet found themselves in the presence of a foppish man named Myron Frost. He revealed himself to be the "Lord of Brass and High Sorcerer of Gulzaar." In his attendance was also an odd brass contraption seemingly capable of autonomous action and reconfiguration. In the light of the device, Pablo told his story: one of the Can-toi with him, Brando Capone, murdered a gunslinger for the sinister entity that Owen knew as the Crimson King but Pablo addressed most often as "the Adversary." The experience changed Pablo, the Can-toi claimed, and left it unable to serve the Crimson King and its Taheen lieutenants. Listening to the exchange, Myron proposed that the ka-tet follow him to Camelot. His quest for the Unholy Fortress of Yeshpotoom-Kahlai and The Grail it contained, he believed, would take him to the great city. The ka-tet was welcome to follow.

With Myron part of the ka-tet, the travelers met a gunslinger of Camelot. The gunslinger, Ray, gave Russ apprentice pistols after an extended battle with slow mutants. He then asked the travelers to locate his partner, the gunslinger Evette. After slaughtering a Taheen and his patrol, the ka-tet learned that the forces of Chaos were breeding reptilian mounts from dragon eggs. Pablo recovered titanium orizas discs and Jhondak secured a shard of stone he claimed was the fingernail of Grome, the king of earth and rock. Grome promised Jhondak aid and ordered the Freeman to travel to New York to save the fabled city of Tanelorn. Before long, those walking the Way of the Eld reached Camelot and met King John the Good, a man Russ recognized as John F. Kennedy. When meeting the king, the ka-tet encountered several Knights of the Round Table. First was the gunslinger Florent, a redheaded man who dressed in green, carried swords as well as guns, and used wit and charm as adeptly as either weapon. The roguish gunslinger's dinh proved to be the beautiful gunslinger Susan. Bearer of great pain and anger, Susan lost her lover Roland to the forces of Medraut, a lord of Chaos, several years prior to the arrival of the ka-tet to Camelot. Lastly, the ka-tet encountered the elderly black gunslinger "Speedy" Parkus. The gunslinger Parkus proved quite powerful with the Touch.

The ka-tet brought news of the activities of the forces of Chaos and then ventured outside of Camelot to speak with scouts (that Russ would call "Native Americans" and Owen called "the Manni"). In a ritual led by the tribesmen, the ka-tet went Todash. Russ directed the experience but the sorcerer ibn Daud ambushed the travelers in the Prim. Stranded on another level of the Tower, the ka-tet witnessed several low men providing Lee Harvey Oswald with a sniper rifle. Things turned ugly as ibn Daud attempted to muscle his way away, only to learn that the diner that served as their point of entry into their level of the Tower was full of vampires sworn to the Red. The Moth Brother sorcerer died and the ka-tet fought a bloody battle against the undead. After seizing the rifle, the ka-tet transported back to Camelot. With much effort, Myron encouraged Oswald to turn his back on the Red and swear himself to King John the Good. Shortly thereafter, Medraut attacked the city and suffered a staggering defeat. The ka-tet slew Medraut's honor guard in the sewers beneath Camelot and then emerged to hunt after the defeated warlord. Along with Sai Florent and Susan, the ka-tet killed Medraut and burned his body on a charyou tree. During the battle, Pablo saved a billy bumbler from a stray arrow, earning himself a companion. Owen meanwhile earned sandalwood pistols and the title of a true gunslinger from King John the Good. Bron earned himself a home in Camelot and the number of the ka-tet dropped by one.

Having saved Camelot, the ka-tet sought out Merlin's tower in the city. There, a magic mirror gave visions to the travelers and then transported them to New York City. Emerging from a bathroom stall, the ka-tet meets Brian Wilhelm, an agent of the Tet Corporation. Brian shared khef with the ka-tet as Pablo told of what he witnessed in the mirror: the Crimson King sent John Farson - the conqueror of Owen's home Gilead - to destroy the city of Tanelorn. Meanwhile, his murderous servant collected Breakers to unmake the beams holding up the Dark Tower. Brian then drove the gunslinger and his ka-mates to the Tet building, where Pablo revealed more. According to the Eld-sworn low man, his fellow Can-toi were searching for some writer named Michael Moorcock.

Armed with this knowledge, the ka-tet drove to Georgia to face the Crimson King's "centurion," a serial killer named Goertz. The house serving as Goertz's residence proved to be haunted and perhaps sentient. In addition, the Red threw several enemies against the intruding ka-tet. Jhondak faced down a talking wolf, Myron killed a monstrous clown, and Russ was forced to battle Goertz. Pablo found himself face to face with his old Can-toi antagonist, Brando Capone, but slew the near-human creature.

The ka-tet took to the road and reached the Texas home of the writer Michael Moorcock. After attempting to convince Moorcock to intervene to save Tanelorn from John Farson through his writing, the ka-tet encountered a small entourage led by a Chaos Prince. The battle was bloody but interrupted by the arrival of Gaynor von Minct, a powerful (and perhaps immortal) lone wolf swordsman who long ago betrayed even Chaos in his quest for power. One of the Chaos Prince's captives, a woman named Nicole who was Moorcock's editors (and apparently gained magical abilities through contact with a rare Michael Moorcock manuscript), ended the fight by teleporting herself and Gaynor far from the battle. Afterward, Moorcock promised to write in a deus ex machina moment saving the Eternal City, Tanelorn, from the forces of Chaos. The ka-tet, pleased that Moorcock and Tanelorn were safe, exited the house through a portal - conveniently located within a wardrobe formerly the property of a certain C.S. Lewis. Myron bore a red orb that he knew to be one of the Bends of the Rainbow, formerly disguised as a writing award in Moorcock's home. Unknown to the ka-tet, von Minct stood before the Dark Tower and plotted his ascent to power.

On the other side of the portal, the ka-tet found itself in the ruins of a camp called Devar-Toi, destroyed by the gunslinger Roland's ka-tet. There the ka-tet was reunited with the Beast, who was hiding out in the ruined camp. With the power of sorcery, Myron restored the Beast's ability to speak, then Adrian revealed that the Man in Black and several others had retreated into a waystation. He pointed out the building. The ka-tet cautiously approached and found themselves in a battle with the Man in Black, the sorcerer-assassin ibn Daud (armed with the pearl gray Bend of the Rainbow), and a Japanese gun-wielding assassin named Sato.
    World Moved On - GM (IC, OOC)
    Valor Unlimited - GM (IC, OOC)
    My Velociraptor Ate My Homework - GM (IC, OOC)

Re: World Moved On (Full): Chapter 5, the Dark Tower

GM Post:

Originally posted by Initiative Order
    Brian Wilhelm 27; HP 1, LP 1
    Owen 21; HP 5
    Pablo Cobain 21; HP 1
    Jhondak 19, HP 2
    Sato 19, -1 Toughness
    Man in Black 12
    ibn Daud 11
    Myron 8, HP 2
    Russ 6, HP 2
    Originally posted by OOC
    The ka-tet is split up: Myron, Brian, Jhondak, and the Beast are circling around to the far side of the train station main waiting room.

Owen, Russ, and Pablo approach from the front.

The Japanese hitman Sato laid down some suppression fire. Until the start of his next turn, he has +4 to his passive defenses. The Man in Black and ibn Daud used defensive magic. All of the heroes moved into position to begin storming the building. We'll start a new round.
    Last edited by RedBstrd; 09-27-2014, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Myron Frost, Lord of Brass
      HP: 2 Condition: Fine Initiative: Initiative (1d20+4=8)

Myron avoids Sato's wild-fire by the simple expedient of staying away from the window. Deliberately, he steps on the man's thrown cigarette, and grinds it out beneath his heel. "I can sense magic at play. Ibn Daud and his patron are drawing on The Prim."

Identify spells? (1d20+15=34, 1d20+15=27) Any idea what they're casting?
      ...and I know, OOC that Ibn Daud is lugging around the Grey Bend. Does Myron sense this? Insight (sense Grey sphere) (1d20+7=14)
      Last edited by Lord Fell; 09-26-2014, 12:41 PM. Reason: Format like a beast.
      Fell's Fellas, ATT Archive
      Realms of Desolace, Ronin Army Roll-Call

Comment

Brian Wilhelm
        HP: 1 / LP: 1

Brian ducked and rolled as the Japanese man appeared and started blazing away with suppressive fire. Legs pumping, Brian raced in a circuit to flank the retreating man, and narrowed his focus. Breathing controlled, hand control, he fired back.

OOC
        Brian's Movement Array is set to the full Speed power, and for his move action he's going to move and start flanking Sato.

Perfect Shot Kata, so Perception Range shot.
        Toughness DC 18
        Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
        Crinoverse - Avengers
        Crinoverse - Young Avengers
        Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
        Crinoverse - Time After Time
        Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
        Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
        Extreme Unction

Comment

Jhondak
          HP: 2

Jhondak ducked behind a tree to get away from the hail of bullets and pulled out his own rifle to prepare counter-fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Fell View Post
            Myron Frost, Lord of Brass

Myron avoids Sato's wild-fire by the simple expedient of staying away from the window. Deliberately, he steps on the man's thrown cigarette, and grinds it out beneath his heel. "I can sense magic at play. Ibn Daud and his patron are drawing on The Prim."
            Both men are casting defensive magic to protect them from physical and magical harm.

Originally posted by OOC
            Essentially, they are just using the things that make them reach their defensive PL caps.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigmatic One View Post
              Brian Wilhelm

Brian ducked and rolled as the Japanese man appeared and started blazing away with suppressive fire. Legs pumping, Brian raced in a circuit to flank the retreating man, and narrowed his focus. Breathing controlled, hand control, he fired back.

OOC
              Brian's Movement Array is set to the full Speed power, and for his move action he's going to move and start flanking Sato.

Perfect Shot Kata, so Perception Range shot.
              Toughness DC 18
              Brian's perfectly aimed shot flies true and grazes Sato, drawing a little blood from the gunman.

Originally posted by OOC
              Toughness: 1d20+7-1=9. He fails by 9, leaving him Dazed and at -1 to Toughness checks (for a total of -2).

Comment

GM Post:

While the gunslinger recognizes the hitman as a serious threat and a capable gunman, he still regards the Man in Black as his principal opponent in the fight. With the sorcery of Chaos behind him, the Man in Black could do more harm than a single gunman, even one adept enough to challenge Tet agents or gunslingers.

Owen gave up his cover and entered the building, locking eyes on the Man in Black. Walter o'Dim waited for the gunslinger at the end of the hall. He greeted the gunslinger with a grin. Owen began speaking, but not to the Man in Black. His words were instead for his ka-tet: "I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father." He continued, "I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father."

When the gunslinger shot, he did not forget the face of his father...

Originally posted by OOC
                Attack roll: 1d20+10=30. With the critical hit and Multiattack, the DC is 29.

Toughness check: 1d20+10=27. The Man in Black lucks out and takes only a -1 to his Toughness check.
                The bullet smashes into a wall of invisible force in front of the Man in Black. Cracks seem to form in the air and a reddish glow emanates from them. The sorcerer known on some levels of the Tower as Walter o'Dim - and others as Randall Flagg - grits his teeth and concentrates to keep up his protective barrier. Shards of the construct pelt his face, leaving pocks in his otherwise flawless skin. Small streams of blood drip down his face like he cut himself shaving in a dozen places at once.

Comment

GM Post:

Pablo creeps into the building with an oriza in each hand. He looks down at Hemingway, his loyal throcken companion and urges: "Stay safe."

Then the low man takes in the scene. To one side, he sees the Man in Black battling with his dinh, Owen, formerly a failed apprentice gunslinger from Gilead. To another, he watches Brian and a Japanese gunman fire at each other in a display of acrobatics paralleling some of the more ridiculous action movies he had seen.

Lastly, he sees ibn Daud, sorcerer of Quarzhasaat. The unarmored man sports a bald head and a slightly-scarred face. In one hand, he holds a long knife with a wicked blade. Something drips from it. Pablo sniffs at the air with his rodent nose and gets a hint a poison. In Daud's other hand, Pablo takes note of a pearl gray orb. While the Can-toi cannot see the swirling chaotic energy of the Prim within the orb, like Myron can, the man in the mustard coat thinks he has a good guess at what the thing might be.

Pablo adopts a defensive stance and squints his eyes a little. He focuses all of his attention on the space between the opponents and his ka-tet. "I will not shame my dinh," he whispers to himself.

Originally posted by OOC
                  Pablo is doing a Deflect action with his orizas. He cannot deflect bullets, though. Deflect: 1d20+9=8+10+9=27.

Comment

Jhondak

Jhondak
                    ran closer with the rifle held in firing position, waiting for the hitman to expose himself.

Move forward to get closer to melee position and take an Aim action, finding cover if possible.

Comment

Russ

Russ stepped forward beside his dinh, aiming his pistols at the Man in Black as he spoke.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."

Last edited by McGuffin; 09-29-2014, 05:31 AM.
                      Otso Karell, codenamed Ursa, on New Vindicators Academy of Europe.

Comment

GM Post:

Jhondak moves into the building cautiously, looking for cover but finding that the Man in Black's kill squad had already cleared out much of the contents of the hall. Several rows of wooden benches litter the floor in various stages of decay and debris. Jhondak ultimately decides that they are better than nothing and kneels behind one while moving forward.

Sato returns fire at Brian, hoping to wound his opponent.

Originally posted by OOC
                        Attack roll: 1d20+13=29. With his Multi-Attack, the DC is 25 for the Toughness resistance check.
                        The Man in Black whispers something in the wind, infusing his words with sorcery. The gunslinger shakes his head, trying to resist whatever foul suggestion that his opponent tried to get into his mind.

Originally posted by OOC
                        Attack roll: 1d20+9=15. He misses against Owen.
                        The Quarzhasaatim meanwhile utters mystical words in some obscure language. A swirling mess of pure magic pours out of the gray orb in the man's hands and then the misty substance begins turning into a swarm of locusts. The creatures move quickly but Myron has little trouble identifying them as quite unnatural. Something about them seems demonic.

Originally posted by OOC
                        Ibn Daud is attacking Myron with an area attack. He may try a Dodge resistance check against DC 18 for half effect. He then must make a Toughness resistance check: DC 19 if he succeeds, DC 23 if he fails. If he fails, he must also make a DC 18 Fortitude check or become Fatigued from poison.

Myron is up next.
                        Pablo curses as he realizes that his orizas can do little to protect his ka-tet.

Comment

Originally posted by McGuffin View Post
                          Russ

Russ stepped forward beside his dinh, aiming his pistols at the Man in Black as he spoke.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."
                          The Man in Black endures the attacks of Russ just as he had from Russ's dinh. While the sorcerer's foul magic protected him from harm, Russ is willing to gamble that his luck wouldn't last.

Originally posted by OOC
                          Toughness: 1d20+10-1=26. He resists the damage.

Comment

Brian Wilhelm
                            HP: 1 / LP: 1
                            COND: -1 (Dazed until next turn)

Sato's bullet caught Brian in the shoulder and briefly interrupted his motion. But he made it into a roll, and leaped into the air firing his own bullets back.

OOC
                            Toughness: 1d20+5=17
                            Power Attack -2/+2: 1d20+9=23
                            Toughness DC 20
                            Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                            Crinoverse - Avengers
                            Crinoverse - Young Avengers
                            Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
                            Crinoverse - Time After Time
                            Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
                            Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
                            Extreme Unction

Comment

GM Post:

Brian inflicts another minor wound on the Japanese hitman. Meanwhile, Owen presses the attack on the Man in Black. As with the previous two attacks, the Man in Black protects himself from a bloody death through the strength of his defensive magic.

Originally posted by OOC
                              Toughness: 1d20+7-2=14. He takes another -1 to Toughness and is Dazed.

Attack roll: 1d20+10=24. Toughness: 1d20+10=22.
                              Pablo looses one of his orizas at ibn Daud, deciding that he could still protect his ka-mates if he simply destroys the weapons of their enemies. The Can-toi's first oriza misses the pearl gray orb in the hand of the Quarzhasaatim sorcerer, but Pablo casts a second discus from his off-hand, striking the orb directly in the center. Bits of glass spray out of the orb away from ibn Daud and the man struggles in vain to hold onto the orb with one hand. The Bend of the Rainbow falls from his grasp and strikes the wooden floor, shattering into a hundred thousand pieces. Fragments of the orb pelt Daud's defensive shield like shrapnel.

Originally posted by OOC
                              Attack roll: 1d20+10-5+2=12. He'll use a Hero Point to re-roll, leaving him with 0 Hero Points. Re-roll: 1d20+7=10+10+7=27. Ibn Daud's strength: 1d20+1=8 vs. Pablo's 1d20+4=16.
                              Both Sato and the Man in Black pause for a second to watch the magical energy of the Prim spill out of the broken orb, filling the room with a mist-like glamour. The Beast, Adrian Speck, attempts to sneak up on Sato but fails to be sufficiently stealthy. The Japanese hitman shoots Speck twice in the stomach and then kicks the hulking telepathic creature several steps back. The other members of the ka-tet have trouble identifying exactly how hurt their teammate is, as the mist from ibn Daud's broken orb fills the entire waystation hall in increasing smokiness. It also begins playing tricks on the ears of all those present: noises echo through the fog, sounding almost as if a battle were waging all around the ka-tet and the Man in Black's death squad.

To those who had experienced it before, it feels like everyone is going Todash.

It takes several seconds for all of the combatants to shake off the nauseous feeling of transition, then the mists begin to clear. Owen, Russ, Myron, Jhondak, Pablo, the Beast, and Brian find themselves standing in the middle of a battlefield. Several paces away from them stand the equally befuddled Man in Black, Sato, and ibn Daud.

The battlefield itself is some sort of steppe, an inland sea of the type that welcomed countless mounted raiders in the worlds of any of the ka-tet present. On Russ's Earth, this land might be the empire of the Mongols. In Jhondak's Young Kingdoms, it could just as easily be the Weeping Wastes of the Flamebringers. Any man given the choice of those two possibilities, though, almost certainly choose the latter, as the battlefield sports flames as far as the eye can see. Mounds of bodies of men and horses litter the ground, many charred from still-burning fires. The source of these fires is no mystery: the sky is alive with dragons.

Despite the number of dead on the field, the battle is not yet over. Jhondak spies an army of various Young Kingdom soldiers. Their battle standards display the banners of every nation he has known. Beside them fight what appears to be a company of Melnibonéan mercenaries. These troops square off against hordes of men carrying the standards of the forces of Chaos - the eight pointed star of Chaos. Several other Chaos-sworn flags appear among their hosts, though. The merman of Pan Tang is perhaps the most prominent.

Originally posted by OOC
                              Everyone is welcome to make a Perception check to see how many more specifics they observe.

Comment

Working...
                              X