No announcement yet.

My Velociraptor Ate My Homework (Full)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e OOC] My Velociraptor Ate My Homework (Full)

Updated! Greetings, friends! This game is currently full. Barring extreme circumstances, all replacements for inactive players will come from the sizable pool of initial applicants.

My Velociraptor Ate My Homework

What the game is: A game set in a prep school for superpowered kids. The game will be low powered but scale up something through play. We'll start with PL 6 characters built on 90 power points. The mood will be more like Runaways (hence the reference in the name) than a comic like Morning Glories. One of my interests will be character development; please make multi-dimensional characters.

Where the game will be set: For the sake of simplicity, we'll set the game in a rather generic superhero campaign setting. I'll post information about who some of the big heroes and superhero teams are, but for now people can design characters with alien, mutant, super-science, magic, etc., backgrounds. If you want to play an alien, feel free to design your own alien species. I'll try to give the setting its own distinctive feel, but for now assume that nothing is automatically off limits in terms of character concept.

The school itself will be the Vaughan Academy, located on a land grant near Indio, California. It is in the southern California desert and was once a small institute used for agricultural research on oranges and dates. As the superhero phenomenon began to pick up in the aftermath of WWII, the institute closed but a wealthy former superhero bought the land and turned it into a private institute. Since that time, several superheroes have quietly donated money to the school. Several years ago, the school received a huge donation from a superhero team and drastically expanded their staff. The school transitioned from a system of private tutors for a handful of students into a real school. Classes take students through their junior high and high school years (grades 7-12 or ages roughly 12-17). The school currently has around 3 dozen superpowered individuals but also provides training to a range of non-powered individuals who fall outside of the norm: non-powered children of superheroes, alien species, future sidekicks and support staff for superhero teams, etc. The school does charge tuition and instead relies on donations from wealthy patrons (which are often parents of students). All students must live on campus during the normal school year.

Among the superhero community, Vaughan Academy is not a secret. The government certainly knows of its existence, but outside of select circles, rumor is more abundant than reliable information about the school.

All incoming students should be in the same class of 7th graders (so around age 12 for most normal character types, excluding geniuses, aliens, etc.).

A list of school rules, a layout of the school, a list of the staff, and so on will be forthcoming over the course of the next several days.

How the game will be run: Rather than have chapters split up into individual adventures, they will be school years. Characters will periodically get experience points through play but will also get a sum at the end of each "school year" to represent what they learned in their classes, personal activities, and so on. I want the feel of character progression to be organic. Characters will start at PL 6 (90 pp) but will rise at least to PL 8 by the end of the campaign (depending on how long it goes on).

What I'm looking for in applicants: In the game, I would prefer that most characters uphold some fairly traditional norms of heroism (no overt sadism or crippling mental disorders) and work together as a team. Character development and character interaction is more important to me than it might be in classic adult superhero games. The characters will not be a teen superhero team; they are students growing into their superpowers (so think X-Men students rather than Teen Titans). Most characters should not yet have a costumed superhero code name.

I like to see diversity.

Note that I have reworked this intro post so some of the subsequent posts might seem odd...

An Imgur gallery of the cast of the game's NPCs is here.

Students at Vaughan Academy:
    Tyffani Forbes, "Bubblepop" (Lord Fell) - Self-absorbed bubblegum diva
    Bobbie Jones (McGuffin) - Walking brick
    Grayson Meyers (Weyrd) - Martial artist, badass normal, build here
    Joshua Lopez (FuzzyBoots) - Ghost whisperer
    Karen Chambers (Jamieth) - Legacy stage magician
    Othniel Owen, "Triceratops Boy" (SuperFerret) - Earth controller
    Roman Roache (RogueScribner) - Electric rebel
    Terry King (kanly) - Evolved deinonychus, eats homework
    Potential replacement recruits
    Alec Masters (Nevius) - Kid genius
    Ami Minami, "Daydreamer" (Psistrike) - Reality manipulator
    Christopher Denvers (Articulate Tony) - Flying brick
    Elliot McGuire (rwknoll) - Telekinetic telepath
    Magni Thorsson (Praetorian Guard) - Legacy Asgardian paragon
    Roy Miller (Dreamking89) - Legacy weather witch
    Than Triskavanski (Triskavanski) - Artist savant
    Zachary Warner (Adventure Dan) - Reality manipulator
    Last edited by RedBstrd; 10-17-2014, 05:04 PM.
    World Moved On - GM (IC, OOC)
    Valor Unlimited - GM (IC, OOC)
    My Velociraptor Ate My Homework - GM (IC, OOC)

Re: World Moved On (OOC; Relaunch Interest Check)

Of course I would like a shot at World Moved On. If not, there's certainly the Masked Bandit. I love Princess Bride after all.
    Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
    Crinoverse - Avengers
    Crinoverse - Young Avengers
    Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
    Crinoverse - Time After Time
    Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
    Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
    Extreme Unction

Comment

Since we started talking about this, I've been trolling the ATT archives and reading some old threads. Perhaps it's nostalgia talking, but if everyone is actually on board with finishing this off (perhaps saving Project Icarus, as no one has seen him in about a year), I'd be down to finish off this project.

As for a new game, I don't believe I'll want to get involved in more than 2 at a time. I'm not expecting that I'll be able to rejoin Injustice Gang in the foreseeable future, so that shouldn't impact my participation in this. The other game, of course, is Valor Unlimited, for which I have no reservations about rebooting and rejoining. As for a replacement for World Moved On, should we either finish it, or abandon it, I'm a little ambivalent. Again, as discussed I don't want to get over-extended with too many games (2 seems reasonable). I think my vote should probably be a "soft" vote. Although I know I've got a guaranteed spot in a new game, I may choose not to exercise that; either because of time constraints or because of lack of inspiration. That's the other reason to give my vote less weight; my conservatism is making me a little less enthusiastic than I should be. I think that if a project is settled on, and people who are excited for the project post their ideas and light that fire, I may well find my big engine on the tracks and gaining speed.

Having said that, let me rank your ideas in my own order of preference, and if that nudges you in a certain way, so be it...

1. My Velociraptor Ate My Homework - A game set in a high/prep school for superpowered kids.
      ...almost entirely because I'm interested in throwing Bubble Pop at an appropriate game. I think this would work, although not entirely as the character was initially envisioned.

2. Into the Dark - A low-PL game built around the concept of The Stuff of Legend. Characters would be toys venturing into (or abandoned to) the Dark, a place where they take on a second life.
      I'm often a sucker for small, innocuous things doing big, important things. Much like the Hobbit, or why so many of my RPG characters are Halflings. Being a teddy-bear would just fit the bill of what appeals to me; like an underdog, but amped up... or toned down, depending on the point of view.

3. The Masked Bandit - A low-PL pulpy game like "The Princess Bride" or Tarsem Singh's "The Fall." Expect evil bad guys, swashbuckling, and no fully 3-dimensional characters.
      Another, very similar movie which I quite enjoyed was Sucker Punch ..well, I guess I can't say similar, as I haven't seen The Fall, but the preview for that made me think of this. Not sure what I'd do with this, but I think I can build something.

4. For the Motherland - A PL10 superhero game set in the 1960s in the Soviet Union, experiencing the Cold War from the other side.
      My initial response to the idea was "yeah, I'd sit this out." However, I did come up with a concept, or at least the workings of one that would let me build something interesting. All the same, I think this is still the concept that I am least interested in.
      Fell's Fellas, ATT Archive
      Realms of Desolace, Ronin Army Roll-Call

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Fell View Post
        Since we started talking about this, I've been trolling the ATT archives and reading some old threads. Perhaps it's nostalgia talking, but if everyone is actually on board with finishing this off (perhaps saving Project Icarus, as no one has seen him in about a year), I'd be down to finish off this project.

As for a new game, I don't believe I'll want to get involved in more than 2 at a time.
        I'm not trying to hold my cards close to my chest on this one: I'd prefer to finish the game since it really has only the current scene and 2 more. My preference would be to finish and then start up one of the other ideas (and any of them would appeal to me), recruiting in the interim.

I won't run more than 2 games at a time either. I don't anticipate ever applying to a game as a player again; the slow pace kills me and I'd rather game through Roll20 or Google Hangouts if I'm a player rather than a GM. Having a central role in telling the stories makes the slower pace more comfortable.

Comment

I'm definitely interesting in finishing World Moved On. After that, I'd be most interested in For the Motherland, as seeming to be the most different from what I've played before.

Comment

While I hope that you get to finish your campaign, I'm really excited about the game ideas 1-3, and would definitely be down. The toy one is really interesting in particular.

Comment

I was not part of the original game (WMO), but wow, am I ever interested in For The Motherland!
              Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Originally posted by Shock View Post
                I'm definitely interesting in finishing World Moved On. After that, I'd be most interested in For the Motherland, as seeming to be the most different from what I've played before.
                Ok, that's one vote in favor of a relaunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigmatic One View Post
                  Of course I would like a shot at World Moved On. If not, there's certainly the Masked Bandit. I love Princess Bride after all.
                  And as a reminder I make two. I'd be willing to consider any of the other options too.
                  Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                  Crinoverse - Avengers
                  Crinoverse - Young Avengers
                  Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
                  Crinoverse - Time After Time
                  Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
                  Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
                  Extreme Unction

Comment

Originally posted by Shock View Post
                    After that, I'd be most interested in For the Motherland, as seeming to be the most different from what I've played before.
                    That's a central component of why I proposed the option. Since I study the USSR for a living, I should be able to run a Soviet game that is really something different than what we normally get with supes.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigmatic One View Post
                      And as a reminder I make two.
                      I was told there wasn't going to be any math on this exam...

Comment

Originally posted by IronEden View Post
                        While I hope that you get to finish your campaign, I'm really excited about the game ideas 1-3, and would definitely be down. The toy one is really interesting in particular.
                        Ok, but I don't want to get people too excited about the other games since it looks like a real possibility that we'll take a month or two and finish the existing campaign before starting the other one. That said, I can always open up recruitment and start looking at character drafts once I know what we're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by badpenny View Post
                          I was not part of the original game (WMO), but wow, am I ever interested in For The Motherland!
                          Good. I like Soviet stuff.

As with the preceding post, though, I have to urge patience. I don't know which of the games we'll end up launching and it may take us a little while to get the old campaign finished (if existing players are on board for that idea).

Comment

I'd be up for finishing World Moved On. As for the other options, I'd prefer 4. My Velociraptor Ate My Homework or 1. For the Motherland. Although the Fall was a great movie, I'm not quite feeling the same inspiration for either of the two other games.
                            Otso Karell, codenamed Ursa, on New Vindicators Academy of Europe.

Comment

Ok, everyone who was a player in World Moved On and is still active voted to continue, so we'll finish up that game. I'll create a new IC and OOC thread for the game within the next 48 hours and get us moving along again. I'll post up a brief reminder of everything that was going on.

We don't yet have a consensus on what to do for the game that will take its place, so I think I'll clean up my opening post, turn it into an official general interest check, and get input from a wider audience. My goal is for us to decide upon the follow up game within the next week and then have a week or two for recruitment. By the time we start, World Moved On should just be wrapping up.

Comment

Working...
                              X