Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adventures Assemble! by kenseido & Ysariel (OOC)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Adventures Assemble! by kenseido & Ysariel (OOC)

No worries we will be here when you are ready

Comment

• Re: Adventures Assemble! by kenseido & Ysariel (OOC)

We all go through phases of bleh, so no worries on this end.
      [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

Comment

• I'm very sorry for the recent delay, but that should be everyone updated by now. You can post any responses you have, but if you have nothing else you wish to do, then that is the end of your scenes.

We will move on to the next scene on Sunday where you will be gathered at your HQ on the night of the attack on Adrian (minutes after the end of Moonlight & Kisai's scene).

Comment

• Gilliam, sorry about that! I totally forgot to send you the PM I promised. It is now sent.

Comment

• No worries wasn't sure if it had been impacted by the recent upgrade

Comment

• Kisai is headed towards a room he keeps on the base for emergencies. You are welcome to confront him here or there, but even beating him into submission won't get him to open up in front of Beatrice and Adrian.
              [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

Comment

• For Nightbird, if you are interested, I have no problem running a separate stealth segment for you on reaching Shambhala. That said you have to get to the city successfully first.

Comment

• Sounds great

As long as it is not too much extra work for you.

Comment

• I want to talk about Kisai's in-character insult calling Beatrice a 'harlot'.

This comment was very problematic for me because by all rights, Amethyst's IC response should have been "you will apologize this instant if you consider yourself a hero".

As a young attractive woman in Silicon Valley, she would absolutely have dealt with insinuations that she had been sleeping with someone for advantage throughout her entire career, both from unapologetic bigots and from people who pretend to fight for the rights of women but in truth judge them only on the basis of clothing and appearance. She has lived her life being harrassed, shamed, humiliated, and hurt by these kinds of people and you bet that as a superhero, with the power to finally fight back against them, she would have a zero tolerance policy on such language.

These are issues dear to me and will form the backbone of her current character arc. By all means I should have commented on it IC.

I refrained from doing so because 1) two characters already called out Kisai on it and I did not want to dogpile, 2) Kisai agreed OOC to apologize later and 3) if Amethyst followed through on her threat that would be the end of the game. I choose to place the wellbeing of the game over being faithful to my own character's portrayal.

However, it was hard for me to do so and I feel that I watered down her response, just so that another player could have a character moment. This makes me resentful and I would prefer not to have to make such a choice again. To make things worse, when Kisai's apology came it was half-hearted and insincere.

Please do not put me in a situation again where I must choose between faithfully portraying my character on an issue dear to me, and the health of the game as a whole.

Please also consider whether or not the careless use of such language actually does add anything to your character (and if it does, what it says about him or her).

Your characters are all supposed to be heroes. Heroes should behave like the good guys. No good person uses the word 'harlot' in a derogatory way.

P.S. Needless to say, I do not tolerate such comments towards Amethyst herself, IC or OOC, and I will press the nuclear button in response. You don't mock my creation if you consider yourself my friend.

Comment

• Some points you may be overlooking are

One, it was completely out of character for him. He had been stewing since before Dakana, so there was something clearly wrong with him and it wasn't Kisai saying it, but whatever was bothering him. He was at a breaking point and as seen, the very next thing brought everything crashing down for him.

Two, his apology was meant to be sincere. He has a well-established mistrust of authority, so the way Beatrice "ordered" them to attack the Plaza was never going to go over well with him. I thought he stated his real feelings very clear. He did sincerely mean what he said about being wrong to call her that. But it didn't change his opinion of her.

Even when the next story is complete and the Plaza (presumably) is the HQ for them, he still won't trust her. And if at the end Beatrice says something like "Maybe now I've earned your trust," Kisai will respond that he doesn't even trust Barrett. And Barrett has put himself on the line for the team many times.

And I should also point out that I (and by way Kisai) did not literally mean harlot. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but in the West (or maybe just the US) anybody who unscrupulously does things just for money can be referred to as this. It is a derogatory term for sure, but it was not an insinuation that she literally performed sex for money.

And all that being said, I (and also Kisai) would never say anything even close to that about his teammates. If no NPCs had been present, he would have broken down in front of the whole team, but between Adrian and someone he perceived as an enemy, he just held on a little longer.

Personally, I apologize for this bit making you feel uncomfortable. I always want players or GMs to enjoy the game.

Comment

Working...
                      X