No announcement yet.

Emerald City Knights (completed)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2e IC] Emerald City Knights (completed)

In the Pacific Northwest near the Atlas mountains sits glittering Emerald City atop Mallory Bay. Long a gateway to the Far East with a significant Asian population, Emerald grew from a sleepy, backwards city to a vibrant, cosmopolitan metropolis with the establishment of high-tech startups such as SysCo, Future Dynamics and MarsTech in the 1990's. Stable and dependable for as long as anyone can remember, the city has had but a handful of costumed champions over the decades and hardly any supercriminal element. From the Emerald City University campus in the south to the Eastern District of Jadetown, from the dockside industrial zone to modern Emerald Tower and the affectionately-named Yellow Brick Row in the shopping district, the city skies have stayed mercifully free of super-powered battles, the only monster on the horizon being the silhouette of Mt. Stanley's dormant volcanic peak.

But nothing lasts forever...

When a mysterious silver explosion kills dozens and swamps the city in newly-empowered superhumans, Emerald City finds itself the epicenter of an all-out metahuman war. As villains from across the States converge on the city and conspiracies gather about its most powerful man, old secrets come to light and make sure things will never be the same again. And while the pawns and knights play their parts, something ancient, something immeasurably powerful, stirs in the depths.

Now a darker shadow looms over the city and her people.

Now all that stand between them and annihilation are --

The Emerald City Knights
    House rules
    Setting info

Starring
    Gilliam as Jackie Frost
    kenseido as Photon / Kisai

Left due to RL
    Omega Girl as Stormbreaker
    baixiwei as Chrysalis

Booted
    badpenny as Silverbird / Aranea
    Fuzzyboots as Mockingbird

Season One: Emerald City Knights

Season Two: Emerald City Days
    Last edited by Ysariel; 06-01-2018, 05:23 PM.

Re: Emerald City Knights

Mockingbird
    HP: 3

Mockingbird took one final survey of the soldiers. I suppose I was that eager to fight before too. And poor Mikhail... this is the only life he has known. I would not be surprised if they used him for Afghanistan and Chechnya. Inwardly, he resolved to take some time, once the crisis was over, to sit down with his comrade — No... my friend... — and catch up. He gave Mikhail a rueful smile and a shrug.
    "As the American soldiers say, months of tedious boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror, no?" He walked up to the window.
    "I assume that it will be no trouble for you to carry me, Chrysalis? I am afraid I left the jet keys in my other set of pants." Turning back to Mikhail, he gave a brief salute, finding that the muscle memory brought a sense of comfortable familiarity.
    "I will assume that your briefing included a basic layout of the city? I am going to find out what his happening at this convention center. You are welcome to join me there if you wish to help, but I think that perhaps your efforts would be best served trying to track down more details of where Aleksei might be keeping these soldiers of his." He paused, then frowned. "I feel terrible having to say this, but please do not start any international incidents. My ability to cover you will only go so far before we are all in the hot water."

OOC: And a new board...
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
    [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Chrysalis
      HP: 3, Conditions: none, Character sheet

"Of course not." Chrys waited for Mockingbird to say his goodbyes, then took him in a firm grip and rose into the sky.

Despite Mockingbird having known Chrys for some time, it was hard not to be surprised by her inhuman strength, of which her outward form showed no hint. He could tell that despite his own enhanced resilience, she was handling him gingerly, knowing how easily her hands could tear muscle and break bone. But the wash of her aura over him, the river of her emotions now flowing through her touch directly from her heart to his, was even more striking. And at this instant, one emotion overwhelmed all others, a prickling, tickling thirsty sensation: curiosity. He knew the question she'd ask before she asked it:

"Mockingbird? Who were those people?" asked the woman whom no lie could deceive.

Comment

Mockingbird

Mockingbird considered his words carefully. "Friends, I hope. They are my fellow countrymen. I found out today that they were visiting. I am still trying to determine details, but it sounds like they may have been misled into participating in a plan to attack the Convention Center. I disagreed with this plan, obviously, and almost everyone agreed with me. Unfortunately, not exactly everyone." He frowned and keyed up his communicator. "I should probably let everyone know at once." He set it to broadcast to all units.
        "This is Mockingbird. I am arriving with Chrysalis. I... there is no easy way to say this, but my past has caught up to me. I was approached by some former comrades who asked me to back them in a plan to attack the Center with the aid of Russian supersoldiers. I disagreed, and managed to sway all but the ringleader, I think. Unfortunately, he is the one who knows where these damned things are hidden. On top of it, they alluded to reinforcements that I have yet to see. They were apparently supposed to meet us, but did not arrive in time. Aleksei is probably rendezvousing with them right now." He sighed. "So, other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

He grimaced up at Chrysalis. As always, his emotions were muted, distant, but Chrysalis could feel a sense of loss and longing coming from Mockingbird, as well as a fear of having made a wrong decision.

OOC: His partial immunity being what it is, I would not be surprised if Chrysalis has more troubles reading him than the others.

[url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Chrysalis

Chrys was silent for long moments as the safehouse vanished behind them and the cityscape flashed past beneath them in a blur. When she 'spoke', her words were gray and heavy with solemn seriousness. "I do not know this word, 'country'. But I know the love and longing in your heart when you speak of it. I know what courage it - it -" she stumbles with the complex thought, but forges ahead. "- it must have taken, to risk their disapproval. I know what strength it took for you to tell the others, without embellishment or dissembling."

Through their touch, Mockingbird can see himself reflected in the mirror of Chrys's soul: a pure, white flame, burning strong and true, undimmed by years or hardship. "I am grateful to have this brave, strong friend at my side."

The convention center was already in view, and Chrys slowed, guiding her path towards the gaping hole that had been smashed in the glass ceiling.

OOC: leaving time for Mockingbird to speak again or not as he prefers.

Comment

Jackie Frost, Aranea & Kisai
            Convention center

The security guards frown at the three heroes' unwillingness to budge. "Very well," the leader says. You want to make this difficult? We make this difficult for you."

He shows the heroes his walkie-talkie. Kisai (Knowledge: Technology) realizes it is actually a remote detonator. The leader then gestures to the convention floor down below.

"See that trolley?" on the floor, two security guards are pushing what seems like an ordinary trolley of boxed goods on the crowded exhibition floor. "All of that, bombs. One wrong move, boom. Now leave. You have three seconds to start moving."

The three of you are on a narrow catwalk about 40ft above the main exhibition hall of the convention center. You are sandwiched between two groups of "security guards", about 6 each. The floor below is packed full of civilians and if the bomb goes off, hundreds will die.

Knocking the detonator out of the hand of the "security guard" is a DC 26 attack check (10 base + character 7 + held item 5 + diminutive size 4 = 26).

Alternately, KOing the guard will make him drop the detonator. It is then a move action to pick it up. He is a minion and has defense +7.

You can also try various interaction skills, but not Intimidate because he is Fearless. You can also try to get rid of the trolley of bombs itself.

Comment

Re: Emerald City Knights: Birds of a Feather

Mockingbird & Chrysalis
              Mid-air above convention center

"Understood," Mikhail says. He hands Mockingbird a radio. "We will pursue Aleksei. If we discover anything we will keep in contact with you."

Mockingbird receives Mikhail's radio.
              As the two heroes approach the convention center, they observe several unmarked trucks swerving dangerously through traffic towards the building. They screech to a halt and uniformed men pour out of the backs. In Chrysalis' vision, they drip with inky-black, murderous intent.

Mockingbird realizes those uniforms. They are the combat gear of Spetsgruppa Gámma superpowered troopers. Aleksei's gene-engineered weapons are here!

Comment

Aranea
                Condition: Bruise 1
                HP: 3>2

"E
                hrmagod, tell us your whole plan, why don't you?!" Aranea rolled her eyes and then shot out a line of webbing to yank the detonator away from the guard.

Attack: 1D20+12 = [6]+12 = 18 with an HP that hits.

Wouldn't whether we're attacking the object (Core, pg. 155) vs. Disarming (Core, pg. 156) determine the modifiers? She's going to try to pull it away with her webbing, which requires an opposed STR check. If we're using the Disarm rules, then she takes a -4 to hit, which should still be enough to hit.

Strength check: 1D20+10 = [14]+10 = 24

If she's successful, she'll crush the detonator in between her hands with a sneer. "You guys need to be held back a grade...."
                Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Aranea
                  Convention center

Good point. I guess whenever villains with remotes are mentioned, I think of the introductory 2e adventure with Captain Kraken where shooting the remote out of his hand is mentioned.
                  The security guard leader snarls as you snare the detonator from his hand and crush it. He barks something in Russian and the guards behind him surge to attack. In a grotesque transformation, their skin turns dark and mottled and clothing tears as they swell to their full size, obscenely muscled super-soldiers seven feet tall. Their eyes glow jaundiced yellow and their fingers end in wickedly sharp, serrated talons. Screams erupt from the exhibition floor down below as people see what is going on.

The Soviet troops move to attack but the terrain works against them: the catwalk is only wide enough for two of them to get at you at a time -- four total, since they come at you from both sides.

28 *Kisai
                  13 Aranea
                  10 Jackie Frost

09 Koschei-IV x2 (catwalk) (Minion, defense: +7)
                  09 Vampir-III x2 (expo floor) (Minion, defense: +8)
                  09 Drekavac-II x8 (catwalk) (Minion, defense: +6)
                  Kisai is up!

Comment

Jackie Frost

Watching the approach of the security guards out of the corner of her eye Jackie quickly read the text from Mockingbird before sending a reply

"They are here at the convention centre."
                    The odds of twin security guards would be pretty remote but sextuplets highly unlikely.

"Nice moves." Jackie grins at the younger woman's quick reflexes to disarm the lead security guard.

Comment

Mockingbird

Chrysalis gets a brief surge of pity from Mockingbird.
                      "You have missed much in your absence from the world... we have been remiss in taking advantage of your talents without also properly educating you," he said quietly. As they neared the Convention Centre, Chrysalis's speed decreased enough that he could quickly browse through the papers that Aleksei had left him. He read through them once, then once again in mild disbelief.

"If I am reading these notes right, you are facing ogres and vampires along with another sort of super-soldier. No listing of weaknesses, but Aleksei did not strike me as a fairy tale sort, so I do not expect garlic to work. We will be there shortly."

Ivan frowned as they neared the Centre. What else does he have in store for us? And should I read anything into one set of enemies being named after "The Deathless"?

Comment

Chrysalis

"Look - they are here already." Chrys points to the supersoldiers approaching the Convention Center. Mockingbird could feel urgency in her and built-up power, like a wave held at its crest, longing to break upon the shore. But she hesitated, knowing that for her to go into battle was to bring him in as well. "We take them together, yes?"

Originally posted by OOC
                        I'm ready to fight but didn't post an action because I'm typically low in the init.

Comment

Kisai
                          HP: 2; Condition: Fatigued at end of turn

The charge of the villains is just what Philip needs to snap out of his funk. Fighting supervillains, even if they were horror story rejects, was the one thing he missed most about losing his dragon.

Was there something wrong with him?

Focusing the magnetic resonance of the quantum field, the dragon's head formed, only this time the beam it's mouth emitted was a slightly darker shade of blue. The beam lanced out down the catwalk, slamming into th bad guys as it made it's way down the line of them all.

Extra effort to Power Stunt: Damage 11 (Area Line)
                          Last edited by kenseido; 05-02-2014, 06:35 AM.
                          [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

Comment

Aranea
                            Condition: Bruise 1
                            HP: 2

Aranea flipped herself to her feet and hurled herself over the catwalk's railing. As she began to fall she shot out a webline to the ceiling and swung over toward the bomb the idiot had pointed out to her. At the top of her arc, she flung herself into space, somersaulted and landed in the middle of the "guards."

"You guys are seriously mentally challenged!" With webs flying, feet kicking, punches connecting, Aranea was a flurry of activity in taking these guys out.

Acrobatics Mastery to get herself to her feet as a free action.
                            Move to Swing over, and Takedown 2 flavored Routine checks to wade into the goons with the bomb. She's handing out DC 25 Toughness checks to all comers!
                            Last edited by badpenny; 05-02-2014, 07:24 AM.
                            Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Chrysalis & Mockingbird
                              Convention center, exterior

There are over a dozen troops, being herded out of the van by two men wielding assault rifles. As Mockingbird and Chrysalis approach the disembarking troops, one of the soldiers sees them and barks an order. Then he raises his assault rifle, ready to fire.

Turn Order
                              20 * Mockingbird
                              18 Chrysalis

17 Koschei-IV x2 (Minion, Defense: +7)
                              17 Vampir-III x6 (Minion, Defense: +8)
                              17 Drekavac-II x6 (Minion, Defense: +6)

Mockingbird is up!

Comment

Working...
                              X