Need some help with power that have multiple senses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with power that have multiple senses

How would I enter this in to hero labs, wide array, linked, multi effects?

TERAHERTZ WAVEFORM TRANSCEIVER: Senses 16 (Acute, Analytical Detect Chemical Composition [Ranged]; Extended, Radius Visual Penetrates Concealment; Radio) 17 points

You've got a lot of buzzwords there. All of that should just go under Senses, adding the components and specifying where things like Acute go. It's admittedly not the most elegant method of entry, but it's what we have.

What do you mean by Wide Array, etc? You have barely two powers here.
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
    [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

You can always create separate Senses powers so you can apply extras/flaws to them separately.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
        You've got a lot of buzzwords there. All of that should just go under Senses, adding the components and specifying where things like Acute go. It's admittedly not the most elegant method of entry, but it's what we have.

What do you mean by Wide Array, etc? You have barely two powers here.
        From my understanding its 3 senses rolled in to one power?

Wide array is a opinion in hero lab (you probably know that and I'm just Misunderstanding you)

it's not a huge deal since this is just a npc power but I would like to get a better grasp on building things in hero labs and m&m all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanmoon View Post

From my understanding its 3 senses rolled in to one power?

Wide array is a opinion in hero lab (you probably know that and I'm just Misunderstanding you)

it's not a huge deal since this is just a npc power but I would like to get a better grasp on building things in hero labs and m&m all around.
          Ah, you do have three senses in there. You would simply add those items in a Senses power entry.
          • Detect (Chemical Composition, pick a sense type)
          • Acute (Detect)
          • Analytical (Detect)
          • Extended (Detect)
          • Radius (Detect)
          • Ranged (Detect)
          • Penetrates Concealment (Visual)
          • Radio
          By my count, that's only 11 ranks (1+1+1+1+1+1+4+1). It would be preferable if Hero Lab let you do something like define the Detect power.

You could probably define the chemical composition and X-ray vision as AEs of each other to shave off a few points, but the Radio power is just 1 PP. And, since you have to consciously switch slots, you'd lose the ability to passively notice things with whichever sense is not "on". You don't need to use Linked because Senses are passively invoked automatically when trying to sense something and optionally have a Free action to activate them (for if you want your guy to choose not to see through walls, say if he's walking past a residence, or doesn't particularly want to be affected by all of the Glyphs of Insanity inscribed in a villain's lair). Wide Arrays are basically another form of Dynamic Arrays from the Gadget Guides that let you invoke more than one power at full power, and don't become useful until you have three powers. They let you "overspend" in an array. Unless the array slots are dynamic, you can still only activate items at full power, but you can activate more than one.
          Alternately, characters have the option of paying a higher base cost in order to “widen” the array to mixand-match alternates from it, so long as their total does not exceed the increased base cost. This differs from a Dynamic Array (Hero’s Handbook, page 138) in that each alternate is fixed; the character must assign all the necessary points to the alternate or none of them, whereas Dynamic Alternates vary.
          So, to use a somewhat tortuous example, someone with various movement powers might have the following:
          Movement Array:
          • Speed 10
          • Leaping 10
          • Burrowing 10
          • Swimming 10
          Buying all of those as separate powers would cost you 40 PP, but you could use any or all of them in a given round. Buying them as a regular array would cost you 13 PP (10 PP for the most expensive power, 1 for each of the alts), but you can only use one at a time, and can only switch once per round. Buying them as a dynamic array would cost you 17 PP (as before, but another 1 PP for each array slot, including the base one, to make it dynamic). That would let you switch, once per round, where the 4 PP are allocated (so you might decide to have Speed 6, Leaping 2, and Swimming 2 so that you could run a fair distance, leap over the fence, and into a dive, and then continue swimming at a higher speed). You could make it a 20 PP wide array by spending another 10 on wide (13 PP for the array, and another 10 on making it Wide) and pick any two movement powers there when you switch. Lastly, you could make it a 20 PP wide dynamic array for 27 PP, which would let you allocate 20 pp among all four powers each time you switch (that latter case is basically the same as buying Speed 20, and then making all slots dynamic, but becomes more relevant when you have powers that are affected by PL caps like attacks or defenses).

Does that make more sense to you?

[url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Thanks for all the help fuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanmoon View Post
              Thanks for all the help fuzzy
              No worries. What I alluded to before about the system not being the best way is that, for Senses, you buy the enhancements for various senses in the same space as the senses themselves, rather than something where you buy the sense and then buy the enhancements to be tied to those senses. TL;DR, Hero Lab is built to handle a wide variety of systems and it's extremely difficult to change how things are done once released, so you just have to deal with it.

Incidentally, after trying to implement a system via the Authoring Kit, I'm all the more impressed with what Colin managed to do.

Comment

Working...
              X