M&M Gamemastering for the first time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M&M Gamemastering for the first time

Hey folks! I've been itching to try my hand at running a game of my own on these boards, even if I'm still very new to the system. There's a part of me that just wants to help tell a good story, ya know? Anyhow, I'm curious about if there's any useful advice about how to run one. I've GM'd before for pathfinder, but I've never done so for M&M, or on a forum for that matter. So, as a result I also have some questions in relation. What would be a good Power level to start at as a newbie GM? How many and when should Power Points be given out? Are there really important things in the GM's guide that I should know(I only have gamemastering materials written at the end of the handbook so far)? On that note, should I just try to save up and purchase that first before rushing off into the thick of it?
    I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

Re: M&M Gamemastering for the first time

Go for it!!! The Hero Handbook recommends starting at level 10 using 150 points and for new characters that allows you more than enough points and a suitable level to build decent adult characters that also then allow you to easily use any of the published characters as ready-made opponents. I personally found that the GM's guidebook isn't a requirement for starting (it gives alternative rules and lots of good ideas on running campaigns but definitely not essential for starting up...)

One thing I found is setting down build and campaign guidelines at the beginning regarding what is and isn't acceptable in your campaign and I've had assistance from others (thank you JDRook!) in helping new players with their final builds as that allowed for really well designed and fresh PCs that will surprise you as a GM. New players often don't want to really get into character design they just want fun characters that they can play straight away. You can always ask for build advice on this forum or as I did, JDRook provides a very reasonable advice and build service that is well worth it...

Good luck!

(Just noticed that you were planning on doing an online game so the advice about helping new players build using independent advice is probably not relevant, sorry!)
    Last edited by SignalGK; 10-21-2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Hey, it certainly helps for if I plan on doing anything like that for the future too. Thank you!

Comment

I know nada about play by post. But, the above advice is good stuff. I'd say aim for a more definite campaign setting and pitch than you might need. The X-Men, for instance, have basic ideas and conceits tied into it. And, I think that's better than just "superheroes, go!"

If you want to just get your feet wet, you could use some pregen characters. That might be good for people new to the system, although that's more on the player side than the GM side.

Other advice is to play around with Complications and Hero Points. They are great parts of the system that tend to end up being neglected.

Have fun!

Comment

Starting PL and pp should be whatever is suitable for the game you want to run. Whether you want to run a PL 15 romp across the stars, or a PL 7 hero high series, go for it! It's more important to come up with an idea you're really passionate about and will enjoy for a long time.

Points awarded should be tailored to the style of the campaign you want to run. On one extreme you have the zero to hero style where the characters start off fighting street thugs and end up battling cosmic entities, and for that you should award pp and advance in PL regularly. On the others there's the kind of game where the scale and theme of adventures are very constant and heroes don't change their build often, and there's little to no advancement. Both are enjoyable in their own way.

If I could give just one piece of advice it would be this: choose your players well. (Yes, players, not characters. Characters matter very little.) Your players are the single biggest factor in the success of your game and no GM, however capable, can run a successful game without the right players. Choose based on the player's attitude, conduct and temperament and make sure to get players who:

1) post at roughly the same speed & frequency you do
          2) are drama-free and don't cause conflict
          3) cooperate and share the spotlight without being prompted
          4) play fairly and do not disrupt the game or abuse rules
          5) enjoy the same tone, themes, challenge level, and gaming style you do
          6) are reliable and don't frequently vanish from the forums

You're new to the forums and personally I'd suggest holding off on starting a game. Running games is a big commitment and one that's difficult to uphold when you're still not sure whether this community will be a big part of your online presence. Instead I suggest you join some games and play a while. You'll be able to learn from others' mistakes (the best kind of experience) and make some friends. Eventually, you'll get to know some like-minded players whom you mesh well with, and will be ready to run a game for them. Then you can sit down with a group of friends to have great adventures.

Comment

Thanks for your advice! I meant to reply before, but hey, better late then never. I'm certainly gonna wait around first, make sure I have a good feel for things before I get the ball rolling.

I'm pretty excited to give it a shot however, have a setting in mind that I hope people'll love to play in. More time to get the details sorted out, iron the statblocks, etc. etc... Maybe early next year? Who knowz, we'll see what comes about!

Comment

Working...
            X