Need help creating a villain.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help creating a villain.

Hey guys, I'm working on a villain for my campaign based on the Jumpers from the Wild Cards book series. I realize they aren't the most popular thing to come out in that book series, but I think the concept would be interesting for a single villain.

For those not familiar with the reference, this means that the villain would have the ability to trade bodies with anyone. (Example: Let's call the villain Trader for simplicity's sake. Trader is currently in control of an average civilian and comes face to face with Paragon and Sorceress. Trader first trades bodies with Sorceress and then Paragon. Now Sorceress is trapped in the body of a civilian, Paragon is in Sorceress's body, and Trader has all of the powers of Paragon at his disposal.)

I would, however, put limits on the power. First off he can only trade with people he can directly see (the one limit that they had in the books) so if you blindfold him, he is useless. Another potential limit is a Will saving throw to not be traded (either DC 20 or 25) so people of strong enough mental prowess can resist it. Also he only gets the character's physical powers and abilities, while keeping his relatively low mental abilities and skill list. This also counts for magical abilities gained from practice and not pure endowment. (He may be able to trade with Crime Fighter, but he doesn't know how to fight like him or how his gadgets work)

I have the Jumper power template from the 2E Wild Card setting sourcebook, but I'm having a hard time translating it. Any tips?

Re: Need help creating a villain.

Well speaking from a 3e point of view . . .

I would do something similar to the Mind Control Power. So it would be like a "special" Affliction.

Jumping - Perception Ranged, Cumulative Affliction 14, Resisted by Will, One Degree: Dazed, Two Degrees: Stunned, Three Degrees: Controlled, Limited: Trader suffers the same conditions as the target of Jumping with the exchanging control of their characters upon three degrees of failure.

Trader would retain the Jumping power of course in addition to whatever abilities the new body had.

If I were you I would play it like Captain Ginyu from Dragonball Z. If Trader swaps with Superman he's going to be as strong as Superman, but if he swaps with Batman he really doesn't get much advantage out of it unless he has access to Batman's knowledge and skills.

In my group's homebrew setting we have a villain that does something similar to this. He is a psychic known as Revenant whose original body was killed in a different campaign in the same setting. Since then he has been "implanting" his psyche in other bodies. He is generally presented as a psychopath and regurally tortures any body he is in (snapping fingers, casually stabbing self, his trademark move is to pluck out eyes). The only reason I bring it up is to show that with this power you have a very wide range of morality to play with.

It can be as fun and campy as Captain Ginyu or it could be total grim-dark. So finding the right flavor of body-hopper for your campaign will be important.

Comment

Originally posted by Jexxen View Post
      If I were you I would play it like Captain Ginyu from Dragonball Z. If Trader swaps with Superman he's going to be as strong as Superman, but if he swaps with Batman he really doesn't get much advantage out of it unless he has access to Batman's knowledge and skills.
      I was planning on doing that. It wouldn't make logical sense if taking over Batman's body would give him access to all of his skills also.

Also thank you for the suggestion and power formula.

Comment

I think you can make the "possession" being in truth some for of controlling, just like Jexxen suggested.

You can make it an Affliction, based on Will, with effects like Entranced/Compelled/Controlled, and then make the exchange of bodies an Extra. My suggestion though is to make the effects not permanent, like with time each conscience would gradually return to their original bodies. That would make the villain very powerful but at the same time it would give the players a way out to even the worst encounters against this guy!

Comment

Working...
        X