Ideas for an anime-based campaign

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for an anime-based campaign

I was glancing over the old 2nd Edition supplement, Mecha & Manga the other day, and it got my creative juices flowing. I'm thinking of running a game sort-of-kind-of inspired by Marvel's Secret War event (the original one, not the one from a couple of years ago), where a being with godly powers summons a bunch of powerful heroes from different anime universes and makes them fight for his amusement, promising them "whatever your heart desires" if they win. Players would be able to make their characters from any appropriate anime series--Dragon Ball Z, Naruto/Boruto, Fairy Tail, One Piece, etc. Each character would be from an "abandoned" timeline, one that never actually happened, so their backstories wouldn't have to worry about fitting into the cannon. (For example, one character might be the hero who saved the world from Majin Buu after Goku got killed in his version of the DBZ timeline, etc.).

In fact, now that I think of it, the plot would be pretty similar to the Tournament of Power from Dragon Ball Super. It seems like a pretty fun concept, but my real problem is coming up with a plot BESIDES the tournament. Like, what other elements can I introduce so that there's something for the characters to do besides fight the next guy they're matched up against? This is especially important because the further along the plot, the more likely that a PC or two is going to get eliminated, and I want them to have something to do except sit around and watch the rest of the party go on to the finals.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I could use all the help I can get.
    "In the real world, we tell Chuck Norris jokes. In the DCU, they tell Amanda Waller jokes."

I'd draw a lot of inspiration from Fairy Tail's Grand Magic Games arc, which had both one on one matches and team contests that weren't strict fights, though they were often physical challenges (at least that year). Plus there was scoring based on performance, so it wasn't a simple "Fail once and you're out" elimination, letting teams go back and forth in the rankings. Plus the final battle was a team one.

The rival teams's make up would be important... some might be from the same or similar realties to the PCs, there might be one team from each other series, or an "all star villain" lineup. Some might be worthy rivals, some might have other agendas, some are pure evil. They'll all have plans or drama the PCs can interact with. If there's no fighting allowed between rounds, they'll have to talk, sneak, trick and so forth.

And think about Dr. Doom in Secret Wars, who rejected the whole premise and made a play for the Beyonder's power for himself.

Also consider where the event is taking place. Is it just a big floating arena, or in venues all over the world? Are there local citizens watching or being affected? G-Gundam had the preliminaries take place al over the Earth... if you found an opponent, you fought them! The people who did the best got to go to the second stage in Hong Kong, for a more traditional tournament structure.

Yet another idea... YuGiOh tournaments. You started with two star chips and had to wager some in every match, needing 10 to get in to the final round. If not direct wagering, there could be some sort of scoring with things besides just winning and losing would be good. Drop too low and you're eliminated, and you need enough to get to the finals. Quick wins, or come from behind, or clever ones, or noble losses might have different scores than just a simple win/loss. The fighters might be judged on their own merits, or that of the sponsor. Evil people are expected to be evil, and even cheat. The hero characters get more points for overcoming that.

Comment

Working...
    X