setting an adventure for one

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting an adventure for one

I was going to be completing the first session for a new group this weekend. However something has come up so people are not all available.

One idea I had in the mean time is to complete individual 'mini sessions' to introduce the heroes, with a bit of back story. They could all have an end point in the session that gets them to the point of meeting for the full session later on.

A couple of questions though..

1) Is this a good idea? Will it work with M&M?

2) What will the PL scaling be for enemies? For a standard encounter with a villain and minion, what do you suggest? Is a PL11 villain and a small group of pl5 minions a good number?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: setting an adventure for one

So many views and no reply so I am guessing people have no opinion or think I should just try it and discover for myself. I think we will be testing this and I will let you know.

Comment

1) It is niether good nor bad, it really depends on teh campaign you are putting together and the type of players you have. I've run intros individually ina lot of games, and it can be a good tool to give each player a taste of their character before joining up with the rest of the group. This can let them make small changes to teh character before getting going as a group, or it can backfire on you if they go in the complete opposite direction away from the rest of the group in their intro.

2)PL scaling for enemies really depends on how many members are party. For 1 on 1 I'd usually put a villian 1-2 PLs high than the hero. This makes them difficult (it gets boring if villians are too easy to take down), but still beatable if the hero comes up with a good plan or gets a couple lucky die rolls. For a group of heros I usually do the main villian at the PL of the group + 1PL for every 1-2 party members. Throw in minions as needed. Some GMs (and groups) like minions in the middle of boss fights, others like minions and sidekicks to be the obstacles that the heroes had to get past to get to teh boss and then a big 1 on 1 show down (you may need slightly tougher villians this way).
      Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
      [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Just now noticed the thread myself. I've done solo adventures before. They can work well. The pace is faster, as there are fewer interruptions involving tactics being planned or people quoting their favorite TV shows, so you have to be on your toes.

The old boards had a Back Of Envelope method for determining a good challenge. As regards power scaling, you're presenting a very hard challenge there. Rule of thumb, same PL is about a 50/50 chance of the heroes prevailing. A PL 11 villain is likely to stomp them down without some lucky rolls. Add some minions to sap hero points with lucky hits and things can get ugly. Now, of course, PL is a simplified metric and it could be that the villain isn't that tough or the PC will find ways to take advantage, but I'd still recommend some reductions.

As regards general adventure design, remember two things.
        1. A single PC means a more limited list of skills to come into play. Build the adventure to the character's strengths unless your goal is to get them to accept that they need help (this can actually be an excellent way to introduce an NPC or contact when your PC realizes that they really need someone to break them into the villain's lair, or they need a codebreaker for the occult map they found).
        2. A single PC means no backup. One bad roll can be the difference between victory and ignominious defeat. Be generous with Hero Points and don't be afraid to have the villain win but move on without checking to be sure the hero is down for good. That way, the hero can wake back up and catch up. Also, be aware that even small obstacles can wear down a character if they have no way of healing the damage or replenishing limited resources.
        [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
        [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Denial View Post
          I was going to be completing the first session for a new group this weekend. However something has come up so people are not all available.

One idea I had in the mean time is to complete individual 'mini sessions' to introduce the heroes, with a bit of back story. They could all have an end point in the session that gets them to the point of meeting for the full session later on.

A couple of questions though..

1) Is this a good idea? Will it work with M&M?

2) What will the PL scaling be for enemies? For a standard encounter with a villain and minion, what do you suggest? Is a PL11 villain and a small group of pl5 minions a good numbe
          It is do able, I personally have only done it once, for a Batman style PC who wanted to do some solo, lone wolf adventuring, so I turned a tall inner city apartment building into a death trap, ala Diehard, meets Dredd, with the Joke supposedly waiting in the penthouse suite for him. An entire adventure of booby traps, mooks who in any other game would have been minions (but in this one were not minions), explosives, hostages & a hardwired PA system the villain used to taunt the hero.

So to answer your questions

1. Yes it can work, as for it being a good idea that depends entirely on what you are trying to achieve storywise.

2. PL scaling for a solo character depends entirely on what type of villain it is & what kind of story you are telling. As for PL 5 minions, you can go the minion route, or you can ditch the minions aspect of characters who would usually be minions, again it depends on what kind of story you are trying to tell.

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
          Just now noticed the thread myself. I've done solo adventures before. They can work well. The pace is faster, as there are fewer interruptions involving tactics being planned or people quoting their favorite TV shows, so you have to be on your toes.
          People wearing labcoats while looking pensive have recorded the witty banter & there is on average 98% less Monty Python references.
          “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Working...
          X