Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

    My character, Hope, grew up on Mars and has a passing familiarity with spaceships and various vehicles. I believe Myrk also has piloting as one of his skills. Neil, the GM, sent out an email describing our approach to the Spire using the STS-014m, built at the martian shipyards and is a space shuttle and VTOL. So damn… I had to draw that!

    My sketch was done at lunch yesterday.. the prelim pencils were so quick, but I gotta love Clip Art Studio’s curve and straight line tools, much simpler than photoshops. This is not a finished piece of work, just a quick, mostly digital doodle. But it gets the concept across. Hope affectionately calls the ship, “The Stork”

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

      I shared a couple of pics from my upcoming Champions game earlier. I’ve gotten a couple more done and now that is up as a Clip Art portfolio from LPJ Designs for publishers who might need some super hero art. You can preview all 5 pics before you purchase. And I have several fantasy and super hero clip art collections that might fit publishers needs in addition to the newest one.

      http://www.rpgnow.com/product/202529...38-Storn-Cook?

      Here are a couple of the pics that have not been posted yet that are in that collection.

      We have The Blue, a Lemurian immortal mage, now coming out of seclusion to help rebuild the world. Played by Geoff. An extensive multipower of water based magics.



      And we have Myrk, a hybrid of two alien races, one of which looks quite huminoid, the Tresselaines. The published Herculon from Champions Enemies is a Tresselaine (I believe). He was on Earth during the 10 year Invasion War fighting for Earth. He is a brick with certain fungus and plant abilities like stretching due to vines and spikes. Played by Rick.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

        Here is a private commission I finished a few days ago. For a D&D game, hence potions and hand axes had to be incorporated somehow into the image. He wanted a somewhat action shot. Hope I succeeded. Coming to a clip art portfolio near your home town soon!

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

          I used to partake occasionally in a contest over at Ten Ton Studios. I had a lunch hour free and thought I would do my first Ten Ton Studio challenge in several years. If you are a member of Ten Ton, you get to vote on the winner. This week's challenge is Superboy. The challenge just started and runs to 9am Thursday. Not a lot of time to get stuff in. But it is always fun to see what is produced.

          Link to Ten Ton Studio Superboy challenge here: http://www.tentonstudios.com/forum/i...?topic=10773.0

          I did my entry in pencil, ink and color pencil.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

            So, my mother in law died last week, early Monday morning, to be specific. Sad, but expected. She was 80. Much beloved. I was in Puerto Rico for the funeral and just got back in last night, late. But right before she died, I had done some artwork for commissions, the two superhero pieces.

            Happy accident time! I totally had a dyslexic moment and the Honey Badger commission called for a male. But in my brain, I thought I had read female and I drew Honey Badger as a woman villain. (It was the term "Honey" that threw me, so sexist of me). The patron really liked it and didn't take me up on my offer to redraw her as a man after I found out my mistake.

            I also really like the Cloud concept. He is a shapechanging, digital entity who resides in the Cloud. That is a scary concept, guess you have to lure him out to like rural-off-the-grid New Mexico or Canada in order to truly defeat him. Good luck with that y'all.

            And I fooled around on a painted piece after watching Steve Prescott's painting video with heavy body acrylics. After pestering Steve and asking a few questions about heavy body acrylics, which I had never used, I went and got a couple of tubes (burnt sienna, white, black). I had doodled that drawing in my toned color sketch book and despite it being fairly thin paper, I went to town with the acrylics.

            The underpainting is the heavy body acrylic, but the color work was done with some guoache I had lying around. Bottom line; I really like the Liquitex heavy body acrylics, they stay wet a nice long time. Easier to blend and mix. So thanks Steve!





            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

              Hi there Storn, you and your spouse have my sympathies and will be in my prayers today. I have yet to have felt the pain of loosing a mother (or mother-in-law for that matter), but i've lost my father to Agent Orange in 2010 and grandparents in 2004 & 2005 after having put everything on whole to care for them during the last 3.5 years of their lives so they could stay togeher, the hardest thing i've ever done.. but also the most righteous. loosing them was like loosing parents and children rolled up in one. if you need to cry, don't be ashamed of your tears, instead rejoice in them. they are the evidence of your pain, joy, dispair and love... and most importantly, you are human.

              I really Love Honey Badger! I just might have to use her as a pre-gen for the next pick-up game at a convention!

              The last pic is wonderful.. have you tired using melted crayons for your colors? if you're doing something that's suppose to have a shiny 'sheen' like leather or chrome, i've discovered that a very thin layer of the melted crayon can be 'buffed' up to give it that kind of texture.
              Last edited by American_Patriot; 02-20-2017, 02:29 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

                Originally posted by American_Patriot View Post
                Hi there Storn, you and your spouse have my sympathies and will be in my prayers today. I have yet to have felt the pain of loosing a mother (or mother-in-law for that matter), but i've lost my father to Agent Orange in 2010 and grandparents in 2004 & 2005 after having put everything on whole to care for them during the last 3.5 years of their lives so they could stay togeher, the hardest thing i've ever done.. but also the most righteous. loosing them was like loosing parents and children rolled up in one. if you need to cry, don't be ashamed of your tears, instead rejoice in them. they are the evidence of your pain, joy, dispair and love... and most importantly, you are human.

                I really Love Honey Badger! I just might have to use her as a pre-gen for the next pick-up game at a convention!

                The last pic is wonderful.. have you tired using melted crayons for your colors? if you're doing something that's suppose to have a shiny 'sheen' like leather or chrome, i've discovered that a very thin layer of the melted crayon can be 'buffed' up to give it that kind of texture.
                Thank you for your kind words AP. And my sympathies and condolences for your losses.

                Glad you liked Honey Badger.

                I have not tried melted crayon. I did try 'melting' color pencils in art school with I think paint thinner (I think it was paint thinner) and that was kinda cool. How do you melt your crayons?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

                  My entry in the latest Ten Ton Studios weekly challenge; The Riddler.

                  Remember, you can swing by Ten Ton Studios and see all the art and even vote on your favorite (hint: vote on mine, that would be nice), later this week (after 9 am Thursday till 9 am Friday).

                  Ten Ton Studios: http://www.tentonstudios.com/forum/i...?topic=10776.0

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

                    Originally posted by Storn View Post
                    Thank you for your kind words AP. And my sympathies and condolences for your losses.

                    Glad you liked Honey Badger.

                    I have not tried melted crayon. I did try 'melting' color pencils in art school with I think paint thinner (I think it was paint thinner) and that was kinda cool. How do you melt your crayons?
                    Thank you Storn, loss is something that we all deal with in our own ways. it's why i do my best stay open to those in need. be it a word or just the reassurance that i'm there to support them anyway they need or want it. so if you and yours needs someone to talk to, who'll just listen and give you support to work your way through it. i'm here. and due to the fact i've died five times and got sent back each time despite begging and pleading to stay, i can tell you about what i saw and how much it changed me and my life. (not in the fact that i use to hate yogurt, but now love the stuff and all of the other foods/drinks that i now love). Humans were made with the ability to emphasize with others and show Compassion to each other. Love never, ever dies...

                    I use the stove to melt the crayons, by setting the oven to broil or self-cleaning (which ever is hottest setting) and place the crayon's in separate class containers on the stove top where the heat will soften and then start to melt them. i've used the softened crayons as if they were normal crayon since it makes a thicker layer that can be buffed out. there's this thing i bought for my niece and nephews last year where you take broken crayons and it melts them and allows you to recast them to take pieces and merge them back into a single crayon.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

                      Originally posted by American_Patriot View Post
                      Thank you Storn, loss is something that we all deal with in our own ways. it's why i do my best stay open to those in need. be it a word or just the reassurance that i'm there to support them anyway they need or want it. so if you and yours needs someone to talk to, who'll just listen and give you support to work your way through it. i'm here. and due to the fact i've died five times and got sent back each time despite begging and pleading to stay, i can tell you about what i saw and how much it changed me and my life. (not in the fact that i use to hate yogurt, but now love the stuff and all of the other foods/drinks that i now love). Humans were made with the ability to emphasize with others and show Compassion to each other. Love never, ever dies...

                      I use the stove to melt the crayons, by setting the oven to broil or self-cleaning (which ever is hottest setting) and place the crayon's in separate class containers on the stove top where the heat will soften and then start to melt them. i've used the softened crayons as if they were normal crayon since it makes a thicker layer that can be buffed out. there's this thing i bought for my niece and nephews last year where you take broken crayons and it melts them and allows you to recast them to take pieces and merge them back into a single crayon.
                      American Patriot, do you have a link to some art samples you did with crayons (or can post here?). Would love to see some.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

                        Let me tell you about my character.... I hope y'all don't dread those words. At least this time, this character concept comes with a picture!

                        In my Thursday night role playing game, we are just starting out with Unknown Worlds, a Apocalypse Engine game ( like Dungeon World) but the genre is science fiction. Pete, our GM, had been reading the Expanse books and is now watching the show and it is a big influence on our game.

                        So, set in our solar system, no Faster than Light, no Artificial Gravity. Earth has a lot of rocks dropped on it by Mars 5 years ago and it is a Mad Max sort of place. Luna has become the banking Switzerland of the solar system after Earth "fell". Mars is a techno marvel, terraforming happening at an amazing place, one can walk outside without breathing equipment for short periods.

                        My character, Tremaine "Trey" Sinclair, is from Europa. Europa colonies are in the buried oceans under the ice, and are heavily into the bio-sciences, including gene splicing and manipulation. Trey is Homo Aquaticus, he is amphibian, can breath under water, notice the gills and webbed, large hands in the picture. He is a pilot (both submarine and starship) and yearned to see the outside world. Left Europa to explore the "other" oceans (both stars and Earth's own oceans). He is the pilot of the "Flying Fin" which was a museum on Earth as it was one of the first Europa probe ships (both starship and submersible), recently salvaged from the Atlantic off of Africa, by a Luna corporation with the Trey and the other characters help.

                        It is a really interesting game as Unknown Worlds really lends itself to easy character creation with totally interesting results. The world building we are doing is awesome! I look forward to next week quite a bit!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

                          A fun private commission that I got to do. A Star Wars character, ex-imperial scout/sniper. I don't have a ton to say about it, although it was a totally digital creation. Usually I do a pencil sketch, but this time I wanted to work a bit more with my cintiq. The initial scribbles where done on separate layers, along with some reference that patron gave me. I did this at work during lunch over a few days. The camo texture was provided by the patron.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

                            Scimitar and Buckler, variant on Sword -n- Board. Here is another lunch time doodle. Going for some rich colors while trying to make it readable. Hope I succeeded. I like working in vignettes like this, with the negative space allowed to exist almost abstractly.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

                              Originally posted by Storn View Post
                              American Patriot, do you have a link to some art samples you did with crayons (or can post here?). Would love to see some.
                              man i wish i did. heck, might just have to work something up with the colors (and buy crayons so i don't destroy my niece & nephews crayons that i get them throughout the year) .

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Storn's New Art thread for Perusal and Swiping!

                                Here is a doodle, I was experimenting with a very loosed pencil sketch. I wanted to see if I could work with that when I went to the paint. I tend, especially with fantasy, to be a "bit" tighter with the pencil work.

                                But I was quite happy that it came out the way that it did. The face changed a bit, now looking at it, I like the angle of the pencil a little better than the finished. Although I like the paint application in the face. Ah, I'm picky.

                                This piece, plus 4 others, are my latest Fantasy Clip Art portfolio from LPJ Design, available here: http://lpjdesign.rpgnow.com/product/...-39-Storn-Cook

                                The preview of the Portfolio wasn't working for a bit, but it is working now.



                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X