Build: Locator Spell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build: Locator Spell

My group and I are playing a DCA mystics game. A friendly npc was attacked and dropped through a skylight, but managed to injure one of her attackers.

My character is a blood magician and I want to make a spell to be able to locate where her attacker is currently.

My first thought was: Ranged Detect Life, Acute ( to be able to tell Individuals ), Accurate (for exact location), Radius, and then enough Extended to cover half of Paris with minimal chance to fail the Perception check. Limited: must have blood from target.

is there a better way to build this for 22 points ?

Re: Build: Locator Spell

You can go with Detect if you start with a blood sample. The Flaw sounds dubious.

If you start without a sample, you're probably better off going with the Remote Sensing power. Follow the rules for doing a search under the Investigation skill. The Quickness power will help you accomplish this faster.
    Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Originally posted by badpenny View Post
      You can go with Detect if you start with a blood sample. The Flaw sounds dubious.

If you start without a sample, you're probably better off going with the Remote Sensing power. Follow the rules for doing a search under the Investigation skill. The Quickness power will help you accomplish this faster.
      I'd go with the Rapid sense enhancement.

Telelocation: Senses 4+# (Detect 2 sample source, Acute, Rapid #), Remote Sensing # (Detect sample source).
      * 4 points flat, plus 1 per rank of remote sensing, plus 1 per rank of rapid.

In 2e Ultimate Powers it was suggested that Telelocation have an +0 modifier to allow the target a Will Resistance to 'hide' from the effect instead of Stealth (effectively Alternate Resistance). Also note that the target of a Remote Sensing effect can also make an Insight check to to detect the sensor, unless it has the Subtle extra.

Comment

Hm. In the Outsiders game I'm playing in, my mystic needed to find Doctor Magnus. I don't remember too many details about the ritual I used to find him, except that it was 10 points and covered the whole world. I really wish I could tell you the specifics, because if your GM agreed that it was sufficient you could get it for 5 points on account of having the target's blood....in fact, let me go ask my friends what I did that night.

Okay, my friends didn't remember much more than I did, but I did right the ritual down in a text file. It was a sensory power:
        Radius, Ranged, Extended 9, Tracking 2, Penetrates Concealment 4, Direction, Distance, Limited to one person
        Like I said, 10 points. However, I'm not sure it's fair to take Limited to one person AND Limited: requires blood sample, so see what your GM has to say about it.
        Last edited by cochramd; 7th September 2014, 01:04 PM.

Comment

The simplest ruling (IMO) is that you can't detect something (or someone) that you know nothing about.

So if my psychic has Detect Minds, he can definitely use that to locate someone with whom he's had telepathic contact . . . but a total stranger? Nope. Because he doesn't have a way to know what he's looking for.

Similarly, if you want a Detect Person spell, you have to define how you know who you're looking for. If you need a blood sample, that makes perfect sense, but it's not a flaw -- it's justification for how you can do this at all!

Does that make sense?
          [B][URL="http://www.mygurps.com/mm3e.shtml"]My Collection of M&M (3E) House Rules[/URL][/B]
          Including . . .[LIST][*]Combat "Boosts," Investigation Montages, and more[*]New Powers, Advantages, and Gear[*]Worked Examples and Rules Clarifications[/LIST]

Comment

It depends on GM opinion, really. When you look at spells that approximate either Detect Person or Scry Person, there aren't exactly any hard and fast rules.

In Snow White, the wicked queen had a magic mirror, and everyday she asked "Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?" It always answered that the queen was the fairest of them all, until one day it answered Snow White. That means that the mirror was able to look at an entire (presumably large) population and sort out which one was the 'fairest'. And sorting out which one was the 'fairest' would have involved a lot of complicated criteria.

If the GM decided your spell could automatically be of equal omniscience and intelligence as the Snow White mirror, then you would need only ask it "Who was injured by this friendly NPC while they attacked this friendly NPC?". In that case, having the blood of the target would be unnecessary but make the spell easier to cast.

Comment

Originally posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
              The simplest ruling (IMO) is that you can't detect something (or someone) that you know nothing about.

So if my psychic has Detect Minds, he can definitely use that to locate someone with whom he's had telepathic contact . . . but a total stranger? Nope. Because he doesn't have a way to know what he's looking for.

Similarly, if you want a Detect Person spell, you have to define how you know who you're looking for. If you need a blood sample, that makes perfect sense, but it's not a flaw -- it's justification for how you can do this at all!

Does that make sense?
              It makes sense to me why you would want to rule that way, and it seems fair. However, I prefer to rule that this aspect of Detect is simply covered by the Acute trait for sensory powers:
              Acute: You can sense fine details about anything you can detect with a particular sense, allowing you to distinguish between and identify different subjects. Visual and auditory senses are normally acute for humans. Cost is 1 rank for one sense, 2 for an entire sense type.
              I know that Extended Detect senses + Perception Ranged effects can be particularly broken, in certain situations. However, I am coming from game systems like White Wolf's Mage: the Awakening, in which characters can fundamentally alter reality as "newbie" mages and the average mortal won't stand a chance against you. The dramatic conflict comes instead from grappling with the consequences of your actions, and whether you should do something just because you can. A psychic PC in the game I'm about to start could blast anyone's mind up to 4-ish miles away. That sounds unfair, but I don't have an issue with it because the campaign themes are self-discovery, identity, and redefining "evil." If he wants that kind of act on his conscience, I'm going to force him to face the consequences of it in the course of the game and see how he grapples with them.
              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/39-Framily-Plan-Apprenticeship-Initiative-3e-%28OOC%29-Recruiting-till-OCT-20?p=43351&viewfull=1#post43351][color=#8B0000]Elliot McGuire/Levitron[/color][/url] - Super Framily Apprenticeship Plan ([url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/131-Super-Framily-Apprenticeship-Plan-%28IC%29]IC[/url])
              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/4164-Superhuman-Defense-Organisation-America-(Recruiting)?p=161604&viewfull=1#post161604][color=#D4A017]John Olson/Spark[/color][/url] - Superhuman Defense Organization - America ([url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/4269-Superhuman-Defense-Organisation-America]IC[/url])

Comment

Originally posted by rwknoll View Post
                It makes sense to me why you would want to rule that way, and it seems fair. However, I prefer to rule that this aspect of Detect is simply covered by the Acute trait for sensory powers:
                Eh, I don't think Acute covers it. Acute allows you to see things in detail, but all the detail in the world will do you no good if you don't know what you're looking for. If a completely colorblind man in a home and decor shop knew only that he had to find a bedspread in the color that his wife called 'salmon pink', would he be any better off if he suddenly gained complete color vision?

Really, it's down to the GM to decide if you know enough about the target to find him without using his blood, and he might be swayed by descriptors. For magic, it's easy: you just have to consult an all-seeing being and convince him to answer a question for you. Psychics might have a harder time of it; you know he's attacked your NPC friend, and thus has recent memories of her and specifically of attacking her. You also know that he's been injured a certain way, and thus has recent memories of obtaining said injury and may still be smarting from it. A psychic, I imagine, when reading the mind of everyone in a large radius would have a hard time finding one person with a specific memory but an easy time of finding a large number people with memories that fit a fairly broad criterion; so I would employ psychic radar if you will, one that will ping back only people that have seen the NPC recently and another that will ping back only people who have been injured recently. Once you've established a group of people that pinged back on both radars, you can search through their minds, applying increasingly narrow criteria as the group grows smaller......though of course, if you're not in Gotham or Bludhaven, you'll probably get your culprit on the first radar if you just search for people who have recent violent memories involving a skylight.

Comment

Working...
                X