Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

Designing a Power to enter technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designing a Power to enter technology

I'm playing a Ben 10 type character who turns into different aliens as her superpower (metamorph effect). I want one of my aliens to be a species that's really good with technology, anything from human computers to alien hyperdrives to living AI. Specifically, I want one of the abilities to be that I can enter into computers' code and control them with my mind. It's important to the concept that my body is not just lying around helpless while my mind is inside the computer. Preferably, my physical body would discorporate and I would just be in the computer. Any ideas on how to do this? Thank you.

Re: Designing a Power to enter technology

That's just an affliction that only affects machine intelligences.

The body disappearing could just be a feature with the equivalent cost of Movement: 1 specific dimension where that dimension is "wherever you body goes when you are in the machine." That's 2 PP.
    Last edited by jmucchiello; 18th February 2019, 10:27 PM.

Comment

This is Possession, Limited to Computer and Artificial Intelligences

Possession: Close Ranged Cumulative Affliction (Dazed, Compelled, Controlled), Resisted and Overcome by Will, Extra: merge with subject, Subtle 1 point + 3 points per rank

Note that Equipment and Minions automatically suffer the Controlled condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimera757 View Post
        This is Possession, Limited to Computer and Artificial Intelligences

Possession: Close Ranged Cumulative Affliction (Dazed, Compelled, Controlled), Resisted and Overcome by Will, Extra: merge with subject, Subtle 1 point + 3 points per rank

Note that Equipment and Minions automatically suffer the Controlled condition.
        This is the "official" build for Possession from the Power Profiles (Mental Powers), although the default assumption was a Perception Ranged attack, and Kimera's version above would be touch-range. It should also be noted that "Extra:merge with subject" does not appear in any other official ruling document, at least not in how it's supposed to work.

The brief description says that the user's body vanishes and their mind controls the subject (in this case the tech). Physical attacks on the tech wouldn't hurt you, but you can't do much inside a busted machine. You are still vulnerable to mental attacks.

merge with subject (never been capitalized) is a full +1p/rank extra, which is pretty cheap when you consider that it essentially hides you from most senses and makes you immune to most attacks; this would cost dozens of points as a separate power. It's not clear whether you can use your other powers or even your basic traits and senses while possessing the subject.

My thinking is that if you mentally possessed someone who is blind, you should be blind too, so if your PC is possessing machines, you should be limited to what they can sense, if anything. Possessing an android would give you access to their sensor suite, including any special senses, but if you possess a regular computer you might not have any senses unless it's hooked up to a camera or a microphone. Otherwise it would just be code and maybe a sense of time passing (all computers have clocks in them, after all).

You would also be limited in mobility unless the tech can move. If you wanted to be able to possess a networked computer or smartphone, I would recommend adding a Teleport effect. I'd modify it with Accurate, Extended, Limited to Extended and Medium: Networked Devices, which altogether would be +0 modifier, not including anything you might add. Since you could even use phones as 'port points, you could theoretically port anywhere in the world, although you'd need rank 14 for that distance; you could use lower ranks as an arbitrary distance limit and make up reasons you can't go further (changing networks, stresses the mind, etc). You could actually make it an Alternate Power for the possession, or just a power stunt if you don't want to use it often; a rank 9 Possession would be enough points to stunt a rank 14 Teleport.

Let me know if you need more ideas.
        My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
        My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
        [/URL]
        I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

Working...
        X