Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New 52 laiid to rest

Originally posted by Goldar View Post
    In what people tend to call "the old days", comic characters had personality and that stayed pretty much the same from issue to issue and between different books. (I don't mean they were stagnant, just that they were shown to be consistent, but with growth.). The writers and editors worked closely together in order to create greatness.

While I believe this may have occurred at DC back then, I know it happed at Marvel with the FF, Avengers, Defenders and even the X-Men from reading some of the old stories. But that was a long, long time ago. I haven't noticed anything even resembling that type of cohesiveness in decades.
    That's why I think they shouldn't have characters in so many books at once. I know it's a money thing and the more popular a character is the more they want to use them, but if they can't keep a decent level of continuity going then they should have a rule: one book per character and no member of a team can also have a solo book.

That said I seem to recall 80's and early 90's Superman comics (the time I originally came into comics) having a pretty tight continuity. Granted, most of the time, it was because stories ran through all three (later four) titles, but even when they didn't they seemed pretty tight. Re-reading the issues in the "Man of Steel" series of trades it seems that way,but then again they used to meet and consult and work together across titles at a level I guess they don't now. In fact I think they had someone (I forget who offhand) who was in charge of overseeing the whole line and making sure things were in sync. Guess they need to do that now.

Comment

Originally posted by libra113 View Post
      Personally, I think DC was reluctant to do anything major with Captain Marvel as long as the whole name thing was still going on (on some level I can't blame them as it can't be easy to properly promote a character when you can't use their name in any title you come up with).

Then again they haven't done a whole lot (other than have him as a member of the Justice League) since renaming him Shazam (a move I can also understand since so many people though that was his name anyway).

I was kind of hoping for more after the name thing was, mostly, dealt with. Maybe something will come of it down the road.
      Nyah. The name thing is going to remain a problem. If someone came up with a movie, TV show, or comic named Hi-Yo Silver, I'd like to think people would realise it was a Lone Ranger story, despite using a catch phrase and the name of the horse. More impotantly though, a lot of the people who do know that the lead character's name isn't "Shazam" are the people who actually care about the character. Changing his superhero name to be the same as his magic word and the wizard's name actually alienates the built-in audience; its in effect saying, "no, all those people you were correcting all these decades were right and you were wrong".

Now, using the "Captain Thunder" name that Parker and Beck actually considered (and was used in the "ashcan" Whiz no. 1) might work. When the Captain's British cousin Mickey came to the States he became "Miracleman" instead of "Marvelman", so "Captain Miracle" might work. They'll still be fans who don't like the change, but I'd argue it's a better change than using the magic word.

But the biggest thing they could do is, with the upcoming film, title it "Billy, the Captain, and the Wizard Shazam" and market the hell out of it, listing the stars, and ending the ads with "and ________ __________ as the wizard, Shazam". Since we know that they'll be getting one of these older gentlemen (probably British) actors for the role of the Wizard, just make sure they get a famous one. Even though Billy and the captain are the same character, they'll be played by seperate actors. And by referring to him as "the captain" we know we mean Captain Marvel, even if we don't use his proper name, just his rank.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth-Two_Kenn View Post
        Nyah. The name thing is going to remain a problem. If someone came up with a movie, TV show, or comic named Hi-Yo Silver, I'd like to think people would realise it was a Lone Ranger story, despite using a catch phrase and the name of the horse. More impotantly though, a lot of the people who do know that the lead character's name isn't "Shazam" are the people who actually care about the character. Changing his superhero name to be the same as his magic word and the wizard's name actually alienates the built-in audience; its in effect saying, "no, all those people you were correcting all these decades were right and you were wrong".

Now, using the "Captain Thunder" name that Parker and Beck actually considered (and was used in the "ashcan" Whiz no. 1) might work. When the Captain's British cousin Mickey came to the States he became "Miracleman" instead of "Marvelman", so "Captain Miracle" might work. They'll still be fans who don't like the change, but I'd argue it's a better change than using the magic word.

But the biggest thing they could do is, with the upcoming film, title it "Billy, the Captain, and the Wizard Shazam" and market the hell out of it, listing the stars, and ending the ads with "and ________ __________ as the wizard, Shazam". Since we know that they'll be getting one of these older gentlemen (probably British) actors for the role of the Wizard, just make sure they get a famous one. Even though Billy and the captain are the same character, they'll be played by seperate actors. And by referring to him as "the captain" we know we mean Captain Marvel, even if we don't use his proper name, just his rank.
        It's a tough issue to be sure. For years they had to use the Shazam name in the title because they couldn't use Captain Marvel and it has created a whole generation (maybe more) who think it's his name but yeah, it's also his magic word so it's awkward.

I do hate not being able to correct people and say "actually his name is Captain Marvel". Hey, we still get to tell people that Static's name isn't Static Shock and that guy is Black Lightening not an older Static.

I really just wish they could've gotten the trademark for Captain Marvel in the first place. I've actually seen people, who work in the comics industry, who have pretty much stated that Marvel only got the trademark to mess with DC and, from what I've heard, they only ever do anything with it when they have to in order to keep the trade mark (I think they have to publish new material every so many years) and nothing more.

Worse yet, I'm given to understand that they actually had a character with a different spelling of the name who was actually a viable character so they both could've had their own character but nope.

Comment

Working...
        X