Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wondering if I've bitten off more than i can chew?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering if I've bitten off more than i can chew?

I have drifted in and out of rpg's for the last 35 years as both player and GM in pretty much ALL known types. Always been a Ronin groupie (if silently) but I have yet another new batch of players who have expressed an interest in DC Adventures. I come to you guys for guidance and suggestion.

'I have this idea...'

Always starts with that, so my group leans heavily towards supernatural and the demonic, as such:

Paragon (Vessel) Embodies a demonic ancestor
    Warrior (Otherworldly) bears armor and weapon of demonic origin
    Powerhouse (Innate) true demon arrived recently to this world as a failed summoning
    Supernatural Creature (Demon) assigned to 'keep an eye' on this group
    Mystic (Magical Heritage) only about a sixteenth demonic but as blood goes, once you're in...

Names withheld by request but suffice to say they all lean towards a something-iel fallen angel type name. They all got together and figured this out without me prompting so more the fun for them, they all have pretty much the same drives (Prejudice/Responsibility/Acceptance/Wanting to good) and complications and they also tweaked the characters from the generator with thoughts towards balance and unique-ness. I like them all but I wanted, as the devious GM, to give them something to think about and to rally around.
    I fully see this as Earth-53A (for Adashiel) as I tend to take current history and integrate it into campaign life.

"June 24, 2015 ISIS destroys Temple to Baal at Palmyra" Baal himself pings the party, (Powerhouse in party 'Hey, Grandad! How ya been?' Supernatural in party "Hi, Uncle B!") At first I was like "..." but what the hell, deus ex as it were, Baal only wants revenge for having his oldest temple/bath house/wicked cool party spot destroyed, however they have taken it upon themselves to rebuild the whole fraggin' temple and re-establish worship. Right now they are planning ways into the area and trying to determine what to expect for resistance. My question is this:

What, if any, resistance/opposition or aid/guidance could they expect from the majority of heroes and villains? I know I should probably have them work on a speech to the populace but that's another story. Would this work hail them as heroes or revile them? I'm kind of at a crossroads here and I would like honest opinions. I have the skills to let it rumble forward but it is a monumental undertaking (pun intended). Thank you.

In humble service,
    Adashiel

Re: Wondering if I've bitten off more than i can chew?

the DC universe mythologically is comparable to our own in that the Abrahamic religions are some what preeminent. ""god"" and the devil are real and the angelic hosts are a very viable and real enemy to consider for a demonic hero/villain as Zauriel and the angel supergirl show.

You also have the Egyptian and Norse and Olympian pantheons as evidenced by Black Adam and Shazam.

So while the characters could easily begin an attempt to restart the religion of Baal, as Baal is mostly associated with the devil and demonic religions they would face almost certain opposition from the angelic hosts, and any heroes they empower. And those heroes would not be inclined to be gentle or listen to reason.

then the mystic community would either stand in opposition--Dr Fate, Zatanna etc, or at least would be keeping an eye on them to maintain the balance--John Constantine--and make sure they aren't getting into human sacrifice and the like.

then you have a third form of opposition in the forces of Hell. As Baal almost certainly has enemies and rivals in Hell they would almost certainly use pawns and their own heroes/villains to try and keep Baal from getting a foot hold on the mortal plane.

lastly expect heavy resistance from the local populace themselves. that area is heavily muslim and would almost certainly resist intrusion from another religion from the more extreme elements, youd face fatwas issued from ruling clerics against the religion and its followers reprisal attacks from ISIL it self and military force from coalition forces who might see them as some militant group that is exporting its own brand of terrorism.

granted I'm not sure how Black Adam and Isis herself haven't annihilated the ISIL movement for having the brass ones to use Isis name like they have but hey what can you do?
    Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/79-Showdown-at-the-Litterbox-New-Stuff?p=554&viewfull=1#post554"]Showdown at the Litterbox[/URL]

[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563]Catsi stories[/url]

Comment

Re: Wondering if I've bitten off more than i can chew?

Originally posted by catsi563 View Post
      the DC universe mythologically is comparable to our own in that the Abrahamic religions are some what preeminent. ""god"" and the devil are real and the angelic hosts are a very viable and real enemy to consider for a demonic hero/villain as Zauriel and the angel supergirl show.

You also have the Egyptian and Norse and Olympian pantheons as evidenced by Black Adam and Shazam.

So while the characters could easily begin an attempt to restart the religion of Baal, as Baal is mostly associated with the devil and demonic religions they would face almost certain opposition from the angelic hosts, and any heroes they empower. And those heroes would not be inclined to be gentle or listen to reason.

then the mystic community would either stand in opposition--Dr Fate, Zatanna etc, or at least would be keeping an eye on them to maintain the balance--John Constantine--and make sure they aren't getting into human sacrifice and the like.

then you have a third form of opposition in the forces of Hell. As Baal almost certainly has enemies and rivals in Hell they would almost certainly use pawns and their own heroes/villains to try and keep Baal from getting a foot hold on the mortal plane.

lastly expect heavy resistance from the local populace themselves. that area is heavily muslim and would almost certainly resist intrusion from another religion from the more extreme elements, youd face fatwas issued from ruling clerics against the religion and its followers reprisal attacks from ISIL it self and military force from coalition forces who might see them as some militant group that is exporting its own brand of terrorism.

granted I'm not sure how Black Adam and Isis herself haven't annihilated the ISIL movement for having the brass ones to use Isis name like they have but hey what can you do?
      I would pay anything to buy the comic that has THAT story in it. I remember reading in a letter column back during the first Gulf War (remember letter columns) that while, back in WW2, they would do stories about various heroes take on Hitler or whoever on the other side that in modern times they can't do that because (and I kid you not this is what the editor responding to the letter said) if they made fun of someone like that today (the letter writer was wanting the heroes to take on Saddam Hussein) that they would sue.

I imagine with ISIL/ISIS it would be more like they would try and kill them or blow up the DC offices or whatever so they don't want to stir up that hornet's nest.

I would still pay whatever they wanted to charge to read the story.

Comment

Working...
      X