New 52?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 52?

So from what I'm reading the events from Flashpoint and the current run of the New 52 are not covered at all in this game...right?

Re: New 52?

Correct. The DC Adventures Core Book was released before DC Comics had even made public their intent to reboot the entire DCU...or nearly the entire DCU and make such tremendous changes when they did so (wiping out entire swaths of characters and histories and radically changing others).

In fact, H&V vol. 1 was already on the shelves when DC made the change.

Comment

Even by the time the DC Universe came out, DC was being very tight-lipped about what was and wasn't still canon in the universe.

Other than including a few new characters, there's not much they could have done to cover the new 52.

But stats for most of the existing characters would still be appropriate to run in a new 52 based game. Batman's still Batman.
      Apprentice Mastermind:
      Assorted Builds: [url]https://calubrecht.us/mutantsAndMasterminds/miscreants.html[/url]

Comment

That makes sense. And I can easily look at the "New 52" stuff as just another one of the 52 worlds... I wonder though why the Wildstorm (Earth 50) characters were not included since they became part of the DCU in 2006-7? Thoughts?

Comment

While it is true, Wildstorm had been absorbed into the DCU, at the time of the licensing for this game, Wildstorm was still published under its' own imprint for the most part and would have required a separate licensing agreement for those characters. Since the entire DCA project was started as part of DC's 75th anniversary...celebration?....push?...whatever...i t likely made no sense to negotiate that license.

Understand, I am outside the process and was not privvy to what actually happened, but this is what I surmise. Perhaps Steve Kenson, Jon L or someone more intimately involved would have a more precise answer.

Comment

A quote from JonL:

As for the content; we make mention of the New 52 and the different worlds, but we're legally not able to include the Wildstorm (or Milestone) characters. We'd really hoped to be able to do it and DC worked with us on it, but ultimately the lawyers said no.
            "[i]Reverting to name calling suggests you are defensive and therefore find my opinion valid[/i]," Spock, Into Darkness.

Comment

Oh well... Thanks for the input on that. I guess however I could just stat them myself. The system seem to be able to handle pretty much anything. And it gives me an excuse to pull out those Heroclix.

Comment

The same applied to the Milestone characters such as Static, Icon, Rocket, and Hardware; at first it seemed GR had the rights to do them, then when finally edits were made the characters were cut, as licensing proved to be a big hassle, especially if the books ever were updated and/or reprinted in other volumes. I should know, as I did what were supposed to be official stats for all the aforementioned heroes save for Static, only to see them removed from the final manuscript. From what I understand, I'm not sure DC even has the rights to use them currently, not even Static.

All my best.

Comment

Working...
                X