Sketching out cities of adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketching out cities of adventure

Has there ever been an attempt on these threads or on any other forums to develop any of the more peripheral Cities of Adventure in DC (like Hub City or Gateway City or Midway City) in order to allow PCs the run of some corner of the Setting where they won't be running headlong into decades of conflicting continuity and can effectively make the City their own?

I have to admit that if I could draw very well indeed then I would doubtless spend more time than is strictly helpful illustrating the Fictional Cities of the DC Multiverse (since they're one of my favourite elements, even if not all of them are as well-developed as good old Gotham), possibly by attempting to do for the likes of Gotham and Metropolis or Star City and Coast City what the artist known as Other-in-Law (whom I would love to track down and praise to the skies) has done for the World of Ice and Fire.

However since the only thing I can draw are conclusions, I thought I might make some attempt to expand on what little seems to be known about these 'Burgs; I would however appreciate the chance to do some more Research on the subject and if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful to them.

Thank You in Advance!

Re: Sketching out cities of adventure

Just so that I can say that I have contributed something to this thread beyond a plea for help:-

http://www.alienrobotzombies.com/201...in-united.html

I thought that this might provide some interesting food for thought; I don't agree with all the ideas put forward here, given that I am a Traditionalist at heart (although some do intrigue me even as I decline to employ them) but I admire the comprehensiveness with which this particular creator has done their best to include EVERYTHING (and then some).

Comment

I notice all those cities are given a blurb in DC Adventures Universe which would help determine if they have a flavor for your particular campaign and even give an overall look and ambience. A little research in any of the notable CoAs can help decide if one works for what you want and build from there.

For me lately, I have decided Philadelphia needs a little bit of attention with all the other more notable cities such as New York, Gotham and Metropolis surrounding it. I have a character in mind and now need to see what the city offers and how it fits in the overall feel of the DC Earth. In general, it has an X-files feel to it, a strangeness and outworldlyness people not directly involved can't put a finger on. The big name supers have other more pressing overt issues including Batman and he's dealt with weirdness.

Comment

I did this with Gateway City, which ended up being the home city for our team's last campaign. I combined the writeup from DCA Universe with Freedom City, using the latter's map and replacing several district details with Gateway info. It made a workable hybrid for my purposes. Among other things, the Fens became the Boondocks, inspired by the old song "Down in the Boondocks" by Billie Joe Royal. The adventure Time of Vengeance was very easy to convert into DCU terms in Gateway.
        - Andrew <:-{}

Comment

I wanted to run in my home city of Portland, Or. But wanted it bigger to have bigger city problems, and wanted it to fit into the DC Universe better, so I started it out the same as Portland, and then in the 70's it had its first big superhero crisis, which helped to shift the city into another city of tomorrow. The name was changed from Portland to Rose City, to keep it in line with many other DC cities (Star City, Keystone City, Gateway City, etc.) and I filled it with mysteries and subplots.) For instance (ANY PLAYERS, SPOILER AHEAD SO STOP READING), We started our game during 52, so the big 3 were vacant at the start of our game. We also combined several of our cities previous mayor's names to make up our villainous Mayor Kat Adams, who was a standard politician, until Wonder Woman killed Maxwell Lord on public TV, and Maxwell used one of his unknown powers. He had previous set up a link with Kat Adams, and when he died, his mind invaded and took over her body, so our Rose City is run by a (sort of) reincarnated Maxwell Lord who lives as the female Mayor of Rose City.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra1010 View Post
            Has there ever been an attempt on these threads or on any other forums to develop any of the more peripheral Cities of Adventure in DC (like Hub City or Gateway City or Midway City) in order to allow PCs the run of some corner of the Setting where they won't be running headlong into decades of conflicting continuity and can effectively make the City their own?

I have to admit that if I could draw very well indeed then I would doubtless spend more time than is strictly helpful illustrating the Fictional Cities of the DC Multiverse (since they're one of my favourite elements, even if not all of them are as well-developed as good old Gotham), possibly by attempting to do for the likes of Gotham and Metropolis or Star City and Coast City what the artist known as Other-in-Law (whom I would love to track down and praise to the skies) has done for the World of Ice and Fire.

However since the only thing I can draw are conclusions, I thought I might make some attempt to expand on what little seems to be known about these 'Burgs; I would however appreciate the chance to do some more Research on the subject and if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful to them.

Thank You in Advance!
            I would love to help a fellow Libra but I stink at maps. I remember the old DC Heroes game (the one by Mayfair) had district maps of the various cities but they were simple black and white line drawing types. They and the history and city information were all very intresting though. Of course by now it probably doesn't hold up now.

I actually have three fictional cities for a M&M game I'm planning to start up soon that I'm wanting to map out in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra1010 View Post
              BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sorry.

It's just

1) Midway City was the city where the Silver Age Katar Hol and Shayera set-up shop as Carter and Shiera Hall AND Hawkman and Hawkgirl. This is the iteration of Hawkman and Hawkgirl that was specifically f---ed over when the editor of the "Hawkworld" ongoing decided that Tim Truman's Hawkworld 3 pt. Prestige book shouldn't be a prequel to "The Brave & the Bold" #34 (as Truman intended), but should be considered a reboot. Combined with the fact that both the Hawks AND the Doom Patrol made their home in Midway, without ever meeting, means that there most things about Midway are a part of conflicting continuity.

2) Gateway City, in the 1960s, was an analogue of Saint Louis, Missouri. St. Louis was the starting point for so many people who moved to the American West in the 19th Century that it became known as "the Gateway to the West", it's also why the proper name of the giant arch in Saint Louis is named "The Gateway Arch". If one looks at, say the cover of "The Spectre" #3 (shown below), one can clearly see city on both sides of a river (spanned by a bridge), and green plains beyond. This is consistent with the general appearance of Saint Louis (and East Saint Louis) on the Mississippi River.

In the 1990s, someone at DC, probably John Byrne who was the writer on "Wonder Woman" at the time, and as a Canadian might be likely to think of Winnipeg, not Saint Louis, as "the Gateway to the West", decided that Gateway City would be a good parallel to "the City of the Golden Gate" and then Gateway City became an analogue of San Francisco. This contiuity conundrum is actually easier to deal with since evidence suggests that Gateway City, MO was ONLY on classic Earth-Two, and the Spectre was never a huge seller. It's also conceivable that like Wilmington (Delaware AND North Carolina), Portland (Maine and Oregon), and Springfield (waaaayyyy too many to list) that there could be both a Gateway City, MO AND a Gateway City, CA.

But for someone who was born on Earth-Two and remembers it, the idea of Gateway City avoiding conflicting continuities is a little... yeah.

Comment

But then isn't half the fun of working with decades of Comic Book History working out how to reconcile such issues? In fact a major pillar of my fondness for the DC Multiverse is that it allows for inherently contradictory versions of the same characters/cities/cosmos to be equally true at the same time, but not necessarily in the same place (Heck, from my point of view the fact that the less well-known Cities of Adventure are so sketchily defined is a very attractive feature rather than a bug; it leaves far more room to develop these cities as I see fit without skewering myself upon some point of disagreement, Major or minor).

Kenn, one must say that I am impressed by your Power of Thread Necromancy (and must particularly admire your technique; laughter is far preferable to a Virgin Sacrifice when it comes to raising some shambling carcass from the Hell of Obscurity!).

By the way, might one please ask if there are any particular "Takes" on the secondary and tertiary Cities of Adventure mentioned above that you prefer? (as you are something of a veteran scholar on the threads, I would love to hear how you would like to see these elements of the Setting reconstructed).

Comment

Meanwhile, at the Legion of Doom...

Comment

I started working on these (Gotham and Metropolis), but they are not finished.

[url=http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40867]Cinder's 3e to 2e Conversion Thread[/url]

[url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/5106]Cinder's Fábrica de Heróis Thread[/url]

[url=roninarmy.com/threads/832]Cinder's Marvel Ultimate Sourcebook Thread[/url]

Comment

Really nice work, Cinder!

Comment

Working...
                      X