X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Doing my first DC game...

Originally posted by saint_matthew View Post
    *Spits out my mouthful of tea*

How! How are they not familiar with DC? Have they been living under a rock or something?

Nope, a spit take is not going to be sufficient to demonstrate my shock

*head explodes*
    I second the *head explosion*
    Check out my builds at * EMERALD FLAME'S 3e BUILDS *

“There are moments when even to the sober eye of reason, the world of our sad humanity may assume the semblance of Hell. ”

― Edgar Allan Poe

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

-- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Isungr View Post
      One could also use the origin story for the DC MMO. Lex Luthor has come back from a future where he defeats the heroes but Braniac then takes over the world and enslaves humanity. Luthor steals the "meta-gene" and releases it across the past Earth to create random heroes/villains (the PCs). This has several advantages for your situation. Since teh players are not that familiar with the DCU (apparently), it fits perfectly with character knowledge. Second, the players have the freedom to create their own original characters in said univers. Just a thought anyway.
      I've actually come across a problem with this approach as I have a player who's played DCUO and simply wants to bring his character over to the tabletop.. without actually building the character within the framework of M&M 3E.

Storyline and background-wise, its a fine solution.. the DCUO was very open-ended.

But I anticipate problems when faced with "but I can do that on line!" after failing to incorporate said power into his character sheet. Lord knows there are enough issues to contend with when people treat tabletop rpg's as live-action video games; this idea might just encourage it even more.

but if it gets creative juices flowing for some players.. then by all means.
      "Oh poop!" (inexact translation) Author Unknown, Pompeii circa 79 A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by savijmuhdrox View Post
        I've actually come across a problem with this approach as I have a player who's played DCUO and simply wants to bring his character over to the tabletop.. without actually building the character within the framework of M&M 3E.

Storyline and background-wise, its a fine solution.. the DCUO was very open-ended.

But I anticipate problems when faced with "but I can do that on line!" after failing to incorporate said power into his character sheet. Lord knows there are enough issues to contend with when people treat tabletop rpg's as live-action video games; this idea might just encourage it even more.

but if it gets creative juices flowing for some players.. then by all means.
        While that can definitely be a legit drawback to running a video game plot as a tabletop game, I have made it work multiple times in the past. I just make sure to not try to be rigid to the original source material so much that it damages the game, and make sure that the players are not highly familiar with the source material I am using so that they don't automatically know too much info that the characters should have to find in play.

Then again, when I have converted a computer game to a campaign before has usually been things like the old Sierra Quest games, and converting a single player game to incorporate multiple players (that may cooperate or be competition to each other) changes things some as well.
        Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
        [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by saint_matthew View Post
          *Spits out my mouthful of tea*

How! How are they not familiar with DC? Have they been living under a rock or something?

Nope, a spit take is not going to be sufficient to demonstrate my shock

*head explodes*
          When I was reading comics a lot, lots of people (including me) primarily read either Marvel or DC. With related titles and crossovers between other titles, it was expensive enough to keep up with just one publisher.

Comment

Working...
          X