Fawcett Characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fawcett Characters

Out of curiosity Grey Crusader, might I please ask what you would most like to do with a set of homages to Fawcett Comics characters? (I ask this as a man with a fondness for shining light on obscure characters and a special fondness for Fawcett Comics in particular, although calling Fawcett Comics CHARACTERS like The Marvel Family obscure seems an invitation to Pinocchio-nose!).

I've actually given this topic some thought and I have to admit that the idea I keep coming back to is of a kind of anti-Bedlam City; a city from a Dark Universe where the Darkness feels a little lighter even if its not much brighter - if the setting is Iron Age then I suppose you could say this city has been tempered into steel (which has much the same qualities, but seems so much finer).

Comment

Oh, I haven't really planned anything out for them-and by the way-Bath, you can use any of the names or backgrounds you like, just so long as you understand I might do my own versions at another time if an idea strikes me. But I doubt you are going to trademark the names, so feel free.

You know Libra, the Fawcett Universe wasn't all whimsy and light-hearted adventures; Captain Marvel Jr. had to face off against Captain Nazi, Ibis the Invincible battledf against mummies, the walking dead, sorcerers who practiced dark magic, and murderous occultists; Spy Smasher's main foe was the White Hood, a fifth columnist who committed multiple acts of murder and sabotage; Minute-Man's nemesis was a ogre-sized monster called the White Skeleton who routinely massacred people.

Still, that sort of setting would see the heroes winning far more often than not, while enjoying general camaraderie among each other and adulation from the population. While not all of the heroes have codes against killing, antiheroes would be mostly unknown-lawless or excessively violent vigilantes would be taken off the streets by the more upright heroes. General good deeds, public works, and eliminating corruption would be a focus, reflecting the goodwill beween the super-beings and the ordinary populous.

All my best.

Comment

Admittedly my interest in working something out for the Squadron of Justice might well derive from my fascination with the DC cities of Adventure and my desperate, possibly-hopeless ambition to make each of them as distinctive as Gotham - which is to say make them supporting characters in their own right.

Admittedly my notebooks are FULL of ambitions, but who knows - perhaps someday I'll fulfil at least ONE of them.

Comment

Working...
        X