Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

Quinton

Ferret falls in behind you as you pelt up the dry, dusty street. Your legs are burning a bit as you lean into the incline. The helmet, clutched close, is still heavy with coin—you’ve avoided losing more than a one or two every few steps. If you can just get a little more separation…A commotion raises behind you as your pursuers skid out of the tent and start running up the hill.

As you come around a bend in the street, you spot a fully armored knight astride a honey-haired courser. His shield, hanging down on the stirrup, shows the twin castles of Frey, quartered with a brown horse in the style of House Roote’s sigil—this must be Ser Sebaston Frey, the one they say patrols the streets as if at war. He’s just lifted his visor to regard the scene unfolding before him, revealing a sweaty, unshaven face mashed to wrinkles by the sides of his too-small helm.

OOC: You’re now at 2 points of advantage in the chase.

Quinton wins the roll with an 11. Ferret’s long legs allow him to keep up.

Comment

OOC: Whoops. I'd forgotten all about the ferrying plan. I'm good with your solution.
      Timon nods encouragingly as he listens to Ser Walton's suggestions. “A bold idea, Ser Walton, and you are right – if we act now, we may be able to lure out at least some of the conspirators before they begin to suspect that their plan has suffered a mishap. But there are grave risks if we attempt such an undertaking. We sailed from Reedtown to capture a band of murderers and their accomplices. This we have achieved, and if we return to our domain now, then there is nothing to immediately alert the conspirators to the fact that we have found the mint. They will have to spend time and coin to ascertain when and where their mint went astray, giving us some time to prepare for when they come looking for it.”

“If we do go to Lord Harroway's Town, then I deem that we'll need to bring both the bandit chief and Captain Longpalm with us to maintain our cover. And once there, we will have no legal authority to act if the mint's owner shows himself. In fact, just by going there, we will have shown our hand – we won't be able to pretend we're on a mission to run down fugitives from Leyburn justice, and the conspirators will know exactly who has their mint. Still, the rewards may outweigh the risks...” Timon muses, now talking more to himself than Ser Walton and Captain Harn.

“Very well, I'll take your suggestion under advisement Ser Walton. But before I make a decision, I need to interrogate the prisoners. If I'm satisfied that we can pull it off after speaking to them, then we go to Lord Harroway's Town. If not, then it's back to Reedtown at full speed. Captain Harn, please bring Captain Longpalm to the cabin. He and I are going to have a little chat,” Timon says with a grim smile.

OOC: I'm making an assumption that there's at least something resembling a private cabin on board. Let me know if that's not the case, and I'll rephrase my post. The point is to not have the interrogation happen where everyone can see and hear what's going on.
      Presently, Timon finds himself seated opposite Lew Longpalm, in the relative privacy of the captain's cabin. “Well, Captain Longpalm, this has turned out to be a most interesting day,” he says, fixing the bigger man with a steely gaze. “I am going to give you a chance to fully explain yourself and your involvement in this affair, here and now. If I am satisfied with your answers, then I can see the King's Justice treating you with some leniency. If not, you will face the full penalty of the law for aiding and abetting in kidnapping and murder. I'm sure you can imagine what that means...” Timon pauses for a moment to let his words sink in.

“Now, our prisoner out there called you a traitor and a craven, yet you would have me believe that he and his men were chance passengers and that you know nothing about them or their misdeeds. Perhaps you'd like to reconsider that story and tell me how you know these men?” Timon keeps his eyes firmly fixed on the bigger man, weighing every word of his response.

OOC: I guess an intrigue is in order?

Objective: Information
      Starting Disposition: Dislike (DR 5, Deception +1, no Persuasion penalty due to Authority benefit)
      Initiative: Status test: 3d6 14
      Technique: Intimidate
      Action: Read Target: 6d6k5 15
      Last edited by rax; 07-07-2017, 05:48 AM. Reason: Slight edit to account for the interrogation being in Longpalm's cabin on the Riverfly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser heretic View Post
        Quinton

Ferret falls in behind you as you pelt up the dry, dusty street. Your legs are burning a bit as you lean into the incline. The helmet, clutched close, is still heavy with coin—you’ve avoided losing more than a one or two every few steps. If you can just get a little more separation…A commotion raises behind you as your pursuers skid out of the tent and start running up the hill.

As you come around a bend in the street, you spot a fully armored knight astride a honey-haired courser. His shield, hanging down on the stirrup, shows the twin castles of Frey, quartered with a brown horse in the style of House Roote’s sigil—this must be Ser Sebaston Frey, the one they say patrols the streets as if at war. He’s just lifted his visor to regard the scene unfolding before him, revealing a sweaty, unshaven face mashed to wrinkles by the sides of his too-small helm.
        Quinton

Seeing Ser Frey atop his mount, Quinton can feel his heart smash itself against his rib cage as it sends blood faster than it has already. The sound of his heartbeat in his head and ears is deafening as the chase continues and this new 'barrier' emerges unexpectedly. Keeping his wits about him, the young man takes a quick look behind him to gauge Ferret's stamina and distance. Seeing the older boy right behind him, Quinton turns his eyes front and shouts to his partner in crime, "Go right!" Quinton intends to split the knight on horseback, Quinton going left and Ferret going right, to confuse both man and steed. Additionally, as they pass by the courser, Quinton lets out a terrifying scream - something practiced during his time in the Raven's Teeth as a means of psychological 'warfare'. Although, coming from a man as young as himself, it doesn't have the fearsome, bellowing, bone-chilling roar that his older counterparts might be able to muster. "YYYYEEEAAAAAAHHHHWWWWW!"

Comment

Timon

Riverfly’s captain’s cabin is cramped. Between the sagging straw bed, captain’s chair and table, footchest, and hanging lamp, there’s precious little room for standing. The Longpalm is not much for decorations either—there’s a little port-hole looking back over the rudder, a few belts or other clothes handing up on pegs, and map of the Riverlands pinned to the back of the door. Captain Longpalm seats himself on the sweat-stained sheets covering the mattress, allowing you to sit on the stuffed captain’s chair on the other side of the table.. His giant’s hands look positively foolish, framed as they are by the normal-sized iron cuffs on his wrists.

Once you’re secluded, he listens quietly as you lay out the seriousness of his crimes. His face is taut, fearful. When you finish speaking your bit, he clears his throat and swallows. “Aye, Ser Timon, I’m in a right mess.” He pauses for a bit. “Could you promise clemency? I want to help you, only . . . I need assurances. Mercies and such. You understand, don’t ye? I know some things, and I don’t wanna throw away my only coins.” Probably a poor choice of words, but this approach is not unexpected. Half of captaining is haggling over prices. And this is the Longpalm’s headiest bargain yet.

Your ability to promise clemency is tricky. The Tullys have granted the power of pit and gallows to Ser Ethan, and this power extends to capturing criminals who have escaped by boat. But on the other hand, you pursued for kidnapping, whereas treason is an offense against the crown. Execution or promising mercy could each be perceived as a slight to the crown in different ways; immediate execution might deprive the Bloodraven of the satisfaction of interrogating and executing the miscreant publicly in King’s Landing. Granting mercy would be to presume to speak for the crown on a serious matter. There’s also the Night’s Watch to think about. Under normal conditions, the condemned may take the black. You’re not so sure that the Bloodraven would offer the choice.

OOC: You win initiative. Your Read Target action is successful. Lew Longpalm’s attitude is Dislike and he is using the Bargain technique. You gain +1D on all Persuasion and Deception checks for the remainder of the intrigue. The Longpalm’s action is insufficient to overcome your DR.

Quinton

Thankfully, Ferret knows left from right and he breaks in the correct direction. The knight’s head swivels like a faulty top as he tries to spy both of you at once, all the while bamboozl’d by your war-cry. He reins his mount clop slowly backwards as you rush by, but he fails to give chase or shout a command. No doubt he’ll be occupied facing your pursuers, whose hues and cries are bleeding all over one another, resulting in a general bedlam.

The street up ahead is clear and the stable is in sight. One of the double barn doors is open, and you don’t see the stablemaster or groom anywhere nearby.

OOC: I’ll treat this as a Cunning check against Ser Sebaston’s passive Will result, in keeping with the Distract combat action. You succeed and he doesn’t give chase immediately.

The pursuers gained on you this time, so it’s 2-1 in your favor, with the chase ending when either side reaches 3.

http://orokos.com/roll/531556

http://orokos.com/roll/531557

Comment

Quinton

Thankfully, Ferret knows left from right and he breaks in the correct direction. The knight’s head swivels like a faulty top as he tries to spy both of you at once, all the while bamboozl’d by your war-cry. He reins his mount clop slowly backwards as you rush by, but he fails to give chase or shout a command. No doubt he’ll be occupied facing your pursuers, whose hues and cries are bleeding all over one another, resulting in a general bedlam.

The street up ahead is clear and the stable is in sight. One of the double barn doors is open, and you don’t see the stablemaster or groom anywhere nearby.
            Coming back to the center of the street as the pair press forward towards the stable, Quinton takes a glance to check on Ferret and make sure the other boy is keeping up with him. As he does so, he notices that the presence of the horse in the street slowed them down a little, with the angry mob having gained some distance on them since last he was able to check. "We need to get on a horse," Quinton huffs to his compatriot. "Once we're on, don't stop for anything... snap the reins as hard as you can," he further says, eyeing the open stable doors. Darting for the stable, Quinton hopes to catch sight of some horses - his horse preferably - but at this point, anything mobile and accessible will do.

Comment

Timon
              Riverfly’s captain’s cabin is cramped. Between the sagging straw bed, captain’s chair and table, footchest, and hanging lamp, there’s precious little room for standing. The Longpalm is not much for decorations either—there’s a little port-hole looking back over the rudder, a few belts or other clothes handing up on pegs, and map of the Riverlands pinned to the back of the door. Captain Longpalm seats himself on the sweat-stained sheets covering the mattress, allowing you to sit on the stuffed captain’s chair on the other side of the table.. His giant’s hands look positively foolish, framed as they are by the normal-sized iron cuffs on his wrists.

Once you’re secluded, he listens quietly as you lay out the seriousness of his crimes. His face is taut, fearful. When you finish speaking your bit, he clears his throat and swallows. “Aye, Ser Timon, I’m in a right mess.” He pauses for a bit. “Could you promise clemency? I want to help you, only . . . I need assurances. Mercies and such. You understand, don’t ye? I know some things, and I don’t wanna throw away my only coins.” Probably a poor choice of words, but this approach is not unexpected. Half of captaining is haggling over prices. And this is the Longpalm’s headiest bargain yet.

Your ability to promise clemency is tricky. The Tullys have granted the power of pit and gallows to Ser Ethan, and this power extends to capturing criminals who have escaped by boat. But on the other hand, you pursued for kidnapping, whereas treason is an offense against the crown. Execution or promising mercy could each be perceived as a slight to the crown in different ways; immediate execution might deprive the Bloodraven of the satisfaction of interrogating and executing the miscreant publicly in King’s Landing. Granting mercy would be to presume to speak for the crown on a serious matter. There’s also the Night’s Watch to think about. Under normal conditions, the condemned may take the black. You’re not so sure that the Bloodraven would offer the choice.
              "Assurances, Captain Longpalm?" Timon replies with an irritated look. "Do you imagine that you're actually in a position to bargain with me? Let me make myself clear then. You can keep your mouth shut and hang, or you can come clean now, and then we can discuss how you can avoid coming to such an unpleasant end. So, let's try again shall we? Start at the beginning and - if you value your life - leave nothing out about this whole sorry business."

OOC: Timon understands that his ability to grant clemency on his own authority is pretty much zero when it comes to treason. That's also why he hasn't said anything outright about the mint or specifically mentioned a charge of treason yet. Given that the chest was locked and no one on the Riverfly appears to have the key, he's thinking that it's not implausible that Longpalm didn't even know what he was transporting.

His current strategy is therefore to get Longpalm to spill his guts about anyone and anything he thinks will save him, and from there Timon can make a decision on what sort of deal he can offer. He's confident that he can offer a deal on the matter of assisting in murder and kidnapping (crimes committed solely against House Leyburn), but when it comes to treason he knows he can't really promise anything more than to put in a good word for Longpalm. Of course, if the captain were to go along with helping to expose the intended recipient of the mint, then that good word might carry a lot more weight...

More intrigue
              Technique: Still Intimidate
              Action: Intimidate: 6d6k5 21 (3 Influence/DoS)

Comment

Quinton

Ferret comes pounding after you as you skitter into the stable. It’s cooler in here, with only a few stripes of light shining through the slats in the peaked roof. You hear a hacking snort as the stablemaster starts awake from where he’s been reclining in a tilted chair. His arms flail for a moment or two as he slowly clomps back aground with all four wooden legs. After peering out from beneath his straw hat, he pulls it back down over his face and leans back again. The man demanded payment up front, the better for napping.

Your horse is about halfway down the row of stalls—there are maybe a score of horses in the stable, with a few empties as well. With Ferret’s help, you lead him (OOC: her?) out and when your pursuers don’t show themselves, together you sling and cinch the saddle and retrieve your bow and other effects from the stall. Soon enough, you’re both ahorse, riding double, and trotting for the back double doors. The rays of sunlight blinking across your face as you ride ‘neath some gaps in the ceiling.

OOC: Your result of 11 is good enough to win a point of advantage and finish the chase. Assuming you don’t linger or immediately backtrack, you’ve shaken your pursuers.

It’s up to you as to where to go next. The town has a number of general areas of interest: the docks, with several warehouses, taverns, inns, and eating halls; the lord’s hall, which is surrounded by a couple nicer inns and shops; the slums, which house some of the more foul trades, like tanning and dungsweeping; and the inland area, which is largely composed of huts with attached animal pens, and has the big windmill that issues the tin chits. You can find the barding at a stable, armorer or perhaps a tanner.

Ser Timon

Lew Longpalm cringes as you lash him with the reality of his situation. Soon enough, he’s talking. “I took them on in Pinkmaiden. I never knew what was in the chest! Would that I had—I would never carry traitor’s gold.” He wipes some sweat from his brow with the back of his hand. You can tell he’s anticipating your next question. “True, I knew ‘twas contraband. But I thought it was stolen copper or some other small thing. They promised to clear my name, Timon. The passengers—Stiv, Rom, and the leader, also called Lew—they paid me forty dragons up front, and promised sixty more in Lord Harroway’s Town. But I didn’t do it for that. That other Lew showed me a scroll with Lord Tarbeck’s seal. Twas a commission to carry bullion once again in the Westerlands.” He hangs his head. “I was banished from hauling bullion a few years back, thanks to a rotten first mate, who thieved from me. I earn five times less now. I thought, if I just smuggled once, Lord Tarbeck would raise me back up.” He shakes his head. “I didn’t notice they had taken Jax until we were well downriver. It was too late to reverse course then. I chastised them mightily and took Jax into my protection.” Soon enough, his tale comes to an end. “We were to offload the contraband at the Broad Dock at Harroway’s. They never told me the name of the receiving party, but I heard them let it slip when they talked. They called him Joren the Fox.”

This is a name you know well. Ser Joren is a freerider and hedge knight who keeps a fox on his shield. He’s a criminal through-and-through, and member of Quickfinger’s inner circle. You’ve clapped irons on Joren once for waylaying tax collectors, but he escaped by falsely taking the black. Since then you’ve run him off twice for organizing extortion in Reedtown.

The purported commission presents another puzzle. Though you doubt the Longpalm knows all his letters, he does know enough to handle manifests and other records. He was likely shown a genuine commission or a well-inked forgery.

EDIT OOC: I forgot to note the outcome of the intrigue. I imposed a penalty on the Longpalm's Intrigue Defense in recognition that you have him captured and have evidence of his commission of a capital offense. You scored 4 DOS and he cracked.
                Last edited by Ser heretic; 07-09-2017, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Vlad

Vladimir stops the column as he sees the riders approach. Once he sees the Shawney colors, Vlad relaxes somewhat and motions for Blacktooth to move up and take his place.

Riding up Vlad, approaches the group with his hands resting easily and away from his sword.

"Lord Shawney, it is good to see you again. I apologize for moving through your lands unannounced. We had a situation arise that needed our immediate response. Our smallfolk were attacked and stolen away from us. The brigands thought to escape along the river, but Ser Timon followed them. I was in charge of the group you see before you. Our purpose was to ward off any attempts to land and handle any groups they were meeting. Luckily, Ser Timon was able to handle the situation before they reached land."

Vlad moves a bit closer and looks concerned at Lord Shawney. "My lord, pray tell....you stated earlier you're glad that you rode out and found allies. Is there trouble brewing? Do you need assistance?"

Comment

Quinton

Ferret comes pounding after you as you skitter into the stable. It’s cooler in here, with only a few stripes of light shining through the slats in the peaked roof. You hear a hacking snort as the stablemaster starts awake from where he’s been reclining in a tilted chair. His arms flail for a moment or two as he slowly clomps back aground with all four wooden legs. After peering out from beneath his straw hat, he pulls it back down over his face and leans back again. The man demanded payment up front, the better for napping.

Your horse is about halfway down the row of stalls—there are maybe a score of horses in the stable, with a few empties as well. With Ferret’s help, you lead him (OOC: her?) out and when your pursuers don’t show themselves, together you sling and cinch the saddle and retrieve your bow and other effects from the stall. Soon enough, you’re both ahorse, riding double, and trotting for the back double doors. The rays of sunlight blinking across your face as you ride ‘neath some gaps in the ceiling.
                    Even with the mob far behind them, Quinton urges his midnight black gelding to trot at a heightened pace. The more distance they put between them and the vengeful gamblers, the better. "Let's get a move on, Axel," Quinton tells the horse, checking over his shoulder not at Ferret, but for any sign of being followed. The pace he puts the horse at will tire him eventually, but he should be able to carry the pair of young men far away before needing to rest and be watered.

Quinton keeps the 'purse' in front of him, not trusting his comrade with the money a second time. Instead, he takes the pair in the direction of the windmill. He doesn't drive the horse all the way though. Quinton stops about half way towards the windmill before pulling the horse over to a seemingly quiet and abandoned hut. Dismounting Axel, Quinton looks up at Ferret and says, "Let's see what we got, shall we? Maybe we can salvage this trip and our skin while we're at it?" The young man seems to have calmed himself and lost the terse tone he took with Ferret earlier. Perhaps the relief of potentially having an option besides reporting failure to their master has eased his mind. Tying up the horse, he leads Ferret to an area behind one of the animal pens where they can hopefully count the chits and coin in peace.

Comment

Ser Vlad

Shawney tosses the skin to Ser Raynard with his good hand and draws a kerchief, threadbare and mottled with sweat, from beneath his cuirass. Dabbing his face, he responds to your tale in the only tone he knows—bitter resentment. “Blasted outlaws are running wild and the crown is nowhere to be found. I’m heartened Timon was able to dispense justice—it’s scant and scarcer to be found these days. My men locked a pair of brigands in a crow’s cage not three days ago. So far I’ve handled them without any need for assistance, but I thank you for your offer.” His eyes pass over your group of riders and come to rest on the captive, who stands out for his lack or arms and armor. “Is this one a captive? I believe my crow’s cage has room for another. House Leyburn as ever been a fast friend, and nothing would make me smile like finishing off an enemy of your house. Or with your leave, mayhaps I’ll take his tongue out with hot pincers, so that he cannot conspire against Ser Ethan’s rule.” The captive blanches at this, dropping his eyes and fidgeting with his saddle.

The swipe at the crown is typical of Lord Shawney. His mislike of Kind Aerys and the Bloodraven is well-known, and he lacks the discipline to sweeten his tongue in the presence of company. Then again, the man has little to live for. He has a tower instead of a castle, his sons were all killed fighting, and his heir is his daughter's husband, a Strickland exile entitled by law to nothing more than a short rope and a long drop.

Quinton

The pen surprises you with its lack of befoulment. There’s dung aplenty mashed into the dirt and straw, but the relentless sun has baked it away to shrivels and dust. All the animals seem to have retreated into the thatched hut itself, where a weighted sheet hangs instead of a back door. From within, a few pairs of goat’s eyes peer out at you and you catch the sound of a man or woman snoring. On days like today, many of the smallfolk do the work of the day in the early and late hours, sleeping in between.

Counting the coins seems to take forever in the heat, but eventually you have the sum: Nine gold dragons, nine hundred and thirteen stags worth of silver (after properly accounting for a few silver moons), four hundred and fifty-three pennies of copper (accounting the groats and such), and fifteen hundred and twenty tin chits. Assuming you’re right that the chits pass as silver stags, you have more than enough to procure the barding.

There’s still no sign of the gambling men or the knight in the street. You seem to have lost them.

Comment

Timon

At the mention of Joren the Fox, Timon's expression darkens with momentary fury and he fairly spits out a name from between gritted teeth: “Quickfinger!”

Taking a deep breath, he manages to calm himself enough to continue addressing Captain Longpalm, though his tone is still short. “Very well, Captain. Your tale has the ring of truth to it, and if Jax corroborates your story, then I am of a mind to ask Ser Ethan to be merciful in the matter of the murders and the kidnapping. There will still be a price to pay for your crimes, but you may at least look forward to keeping your head and other assorted body parts.”

“The contraband is another matter. Smuggling a traitor's gold and mint is high treason, and passing judgement on such crimes is a matter for the King himself...or his Hand.” Timon pauses momentarily to let the implicit threat of Lord Bloodraven's involvement sink in. “I will be honest with you – the best House Leyburn can do is to put in a good word for you if you wish to appeal for clemency. However, every word we utter in support of a traitor invites retribution from our enemies, so any aid we give you will depend on what you're prepared to do to make up for your crimes against the crown.”

“I will now interview this Lew, and then decide how to proceed with this mess. Is there anything more you can tell me about this fellow that would be useful? For instance, he's old enough to have fought in the rebellion. Has he mentioned any allies from then or now, apart from Joren the Fox? What was his relationship with Stiv and Rom like – personal or businesslike? And has he mentioned any particular grievances since you first met? Oh, and one more thing. The commission you were shown – who has it now?”

OOC: Once Longpalm has answered Timon's questions, Timon will send him out and have Lew brought in to the cabin for interrogation. But before bringing in Lew, he will inform Ser Walton of Longpalm's story and have Walton check it with Jax. If Jax is up for it, I'd also like Walton (perhaps with Ryk's assistance) to gently press him about anything else he might have observed of Longpalm's interaction with the brigands and anything the brigands may have let slip in Jax's presence.

I'm suggesting having Walton handle this instead of Timon doing it himself so we don't get bogged down further by my slow posting pace. Hope that's okay with you.

Comment

Quinton

The pen surprises you with its lack of befoulment. There’s dung aplenty mashed into the dirt and straw, but the relentless sun has baked it away to shrivels and dust. All the animals seem to have retreated into the thatched hut itself, where a weighted sheet hangs instead of a back door. From within, a few pairs of goat’s eyes peer out at you and you catch the sound of a man or woman snoring. On days like today, many of the smallfolk do the work of the day in the early and late hours, sleeping in between.

Counting the coins seems to take forever in the heat, but eventually you have the sum: Nine gold dragons, nine hundred and thirteen stags worth of silver (after properly accounting for a few silver moons), four hundred and fifty-three pennies of copper (accounting the groats and such), and fifteen hundred and twenty tin chits. Assuming you’re right that the chits pass as silver stags, you have more than enough to procure the barding.

There’s still no sign of the gambling men or the knight in the street. You seem to have lost them.
                          Quinton

Pulling the crown-issued currency out of the pot, Quinton places it in a purse, which he cinches and then hands to Ferret. However, he doesn't immediately let go of the bag. Instead, he tries to lock eyes with the older boy and says as sternly as he can manage in his youthful tone, "Keep it out of sight. And do not run off with it again. If you do, I'll leave you where I find you next time." With his 'threat' conveyed, Quinton relinquishes the money to Ferret's care. Gathering up the tin chits in another purse, he leaves the helmet in the pen and stands upright. "Let's head to the mill and get these exchanged... afterwards, we'll make way to tannery and get what we came for and leave town as quickly as possible. I don't want to be here another minute than I have to," he tells the other boy.

That said, Quinton sets off - with Ferret in tow - for the mill in attempt to exchange the chits for coin.

Comment

Ser Timon

“I understand the crown’s judgment will be harsh, but I pray that it will fall heaviest on the knowing traitor and not the blind fool of a smuggler before you.” The Longpalm swallows hard and continues. “My passenger Lew was tight of lip and stern with his men. They were four in the beginning, but then one morning there were three. Lew told us to not bother searching for the man. I say he murder’d him, but it’s not the place of a captain to investigate such things, ‘specially given the contraband. Their band seemed to know each other well enough, but with a hardness underneath. A companionship of circumstance, or perhaps duty. Whatever duty criminals know. In any case, it wasn’t love. He was unkind to the drunkard you sent to the shore, but he didn’t dare put more bodies in the water. I take him to be nearing forty—certainly old enough to have seen battle in the rebellion.” He thinks for a moment when you mention the commission. “Lew showed it to me in Pinkmaiden, and said I would receive it with my payment at Harroway town. I think the fox knight holds it in waiting. The chests were so heavy that I thought it would be impossible for them to play me false and make off with them before I laid hands on my payment.”

When you dismiss him, the Longpalm mouths his thanks, and shuddering with shame and fear, takes his leave. Meanwhile, Ser Walton has finished his questioning of Jax, who since the rescue hasn’t left Ryk’s side. Walton debriefs you, before your interrogation of Lew. “The boy was snatched and roughed up a bit on the way, but no lasting harm. He doesn’t know precisely why he was taken, but he understands it was to threaten his father into silence. He names the leader as the cruelest and the drunk as the sweetest. They meant to set him free at Harroway’s.”

Next, the other Lew is brought to your cabin, still in fetters. He’s sullen and silent, waiting for your to make the first move.

Quinton

Ferret seems to still be in a bit in a daze. The wrestling and retching and running has left him spent in the heat. He’s taken a seat in shade of the pen and fans the edge of his tunic back and forth. When you’ve finished counting and entrusted the coin to him he tucks it away and falls in line.

The mill is a towering stone structure with four broad flaps of tarp and hickory spreading like a flower’s petals from the top. Without a breeze to stir them, they rest in place without so much as a creak. You find the door open just a crack. Peering in, you see the great millstone at rest, lying beneath pulley and chain, as well as some raftered silos of unmilled grain. The air is full of motes of powdery dust, which float in and out of visibility as they catch the light. Beneath, the flagstone floor is covered in a thin film of chaff, but you catch the dull sheen of yet more tin chits there as well. Across the room, there’s a worktable covered in all manner of ungainly steel tools, as well as some scattered chits. You hear a clinking noise, and notice a fleshy man splayed up against a bale of sod. He wears a suit of leather overalls that he’s peeled off his bare chest, and he’s got a bottle of wine in hand. Glancing up listlessly, he squints at you. “Whaddayawant?”

Comment

Quinton

Ferret seems to still be in a bit in a daze. The wrestling and retching and running has left him spent in the heat. He’s taken a seat in shade of the pen and fans the edge of his tunic back and forth. When you’ve finished counting and entrusted the coin to him he tucks it away and falls in line.

The mill is a towering stone structure with four broad flaps of tarp and hickory spreading like a flower’s petals from the top. Without a breeze to stir them, they rest in place without so much as a creak. You find the door open just a crack. Peering in, you see the great millstone at rest, lying beneath pulley and chain, as well as some raftered silos of unmilled grain. The air is full of motes of powdery dust, which float in and out of visibility as they catch the light. Beneath, the flagstone floor is covered in a thin film of chaff, but you catch the dull sheen of yet more tin chits there as well. Across the room, there’s a worktable covered in all manner of ungainly steel tools, as well as some scattered chits. You hear a clinking noise, and notice a fleshy man splayed up against a bale of sod. He wears a suit of leather overalls that he’s peeled off his bare chest, and he’s got a bottle of wine in hand. Glancing up listlessly, he squints at you. “Whaddayawant?”
                              Quinton

Cautiously entering the mill, Quinton lingers in the doorway as he takes a look about the lifeless mill. He notes the unkempt state of the mill, especially the chits shinning through the chaff on the floor. Blinking, he seems a bit befuddled as to why the mill is like this, but the sound of the clink from the shadows of the mill snaps him out of his gaze. Quinton's eyes immediately jerk towards the man in the leathers, staring at him as he inquires about his presence in the mill. Now fully entering the main room of the mill, Quinton clears his throat and approaches the man with feigned purpose - like he belongs there. Stopping about ten feet away, Quinton looks the man over - almost with a bit of disgust at his present state - and then locks eyes with him. "I'm here to trade in these chits for coin," Quinton tells him, pulling at the purse a little to make the chits jingle against one another and give the man the idea this isn't some minuscule trade. "Where's your bookkeeper?" Quinton then asks, looking about the room once again, as if expecting someone other than the wine swilling individual before him is there to handle such a transaction.

Comment

Quinton

The man blinks a few times, and his eyes uncross a bit. “I am th’bookkeeper, an’ the miller, an’ the bloody wine-drinker.” He burps quietly. “You’re not like to find much coin here, unless y’want more tin.” He gestures to the opposite wall and you spot yet more tin chits stacked neatly in a wooden tray. “Oh yes, I’ve plenty tin. Soon enough, so will we all.” He takes another swig from his bottle and flops the bottle down against his leg without letting go.

Comment

Working...
                                X