X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

Kyle

Kyleshook his head slightly.

“Betterthe Father than the Stranger which it could easily have been had you been inyour home. It would appear that the Seven have already taken some punishmentfor both your and Garth’s sins. Laws have been broken and you have paid forthose. Now tell me what you intend to do to make up for your transgressionsagainst the Seven?”
    Sometimeshe found letting the person who is in sin chose their own punishment worked thebest. They were often the harshest on themselves beyond anything he mightdecide.

Comment

Timon
      Originally posted by Ser heretic View Post
      At your mention of him doing well, Ryk’s mouth hardens and then quivers. He forces his eyes shut and turns away, rubbing his face. Turning back, he chokes out, “they took my boy, Timon. The ones that did in Nolla and Holly. Twasn’t Shawney’s squire, though he was quite the mess that night.” He paces back and forth in front of you, barely containing his angst. “There were three of them—rough types swept into town on the Riverfly—a riverboat that you've encountered in the past—“Nolla and Holly brought them some ale and soup late in the night and by the looks of it, traded a tale or two. But at the end, it all went sour. I think the Riverfly men shorted them by more than a handful of stags and Holly started making threats.” He meets your gaze. “Your name was mentioned. Holly threatened to ‘tell Ser Timon’ about something and one of them gave her the back of his hand. Right about then, my men and I broke it up. We marched them down to the jetty and told them not to return. The next day, they came back and told me they have my son and to keep quiet.” His eyes fill with tears. “I searched high and low for Jax, but he’s gone. The bastards have him, Timon.”

You're not familiar with the men he's describing based on what Ryk has said so far. The Riverfly is a riverboat that came into Reedtown a week past and cast off just yesterday for Lord Harroway's Town. If memory serves, the boat has been through Reedtown a handful of times over the last few years, usually bearing fodder and hay. Its captain is Lew Longpalm, a competent and forgettable captain. Reedtown's trading dock usually has about three to four riverboats at anchor at any given time, along with about a dozen smaller fishing vessels and barges. Right now, the riverboats at anchor are Polemaiden, Moonspirit, and Blackrunner, none of which have any affiliation with the Riverfly, although Blackrunner was once a famed smuggling boat under its previous captain, Weird Wyl.
      Timon's expression hardens with each word from One-Hand. "Those child-stealing bastards just made the last mistake of their lives, Ryk. You have my word on it. No one murders and kidnaps the smallfolk of House Leyburn and gets away with it. We're going to run them down, beat the full story out of them, and then hang them from the yardarm of their own boat."

"Wyl! Fetch yourself back to Templestone at once. Inform Ser Ethan that I require ten men and an officer each from the garrison and Ser Brendan's cavalry. Better throw in five archers as well. If he wants to know why, tell him we're hunting a crew of murderers and kidnappers that assaulted smallfolk living under House Leyburn's protection. I want them all provisioned for three days in the field and I want them here at Reedtown and ready to move before noon."

"Ryk! Which of the riverboats here is fast enough and has a captain skilled enough to run down the Riverfly while carrying my archers and foot soldiers?"

OOC: So the plan is as follows:
      1. Find the boat with the best chance of catching up to the Riverfly, load it with our infantry and archers, and run down the killers/kidnappers.
      2. Send the cavalry to scout for the Riverfly and alert our riverboat (via a pre-arranged signal) when they find it. If they find it and our riverboat seems unlikely to catch up before the Riverfly can reach Lord Harroway's Town, they are to delay the Riverfly by any means possible.
      3. The Riverfly may or may not have anchored at a port in one of the neighboring domains since leaving Reedtown, but they'll likely have wanted to put some distance between them and House Leyburn's territories, so I suspect the scouting mission will be best served by having the cavalry ride hard for the first neighboring port - find out if the Riverfly has been spotted there - and then follow the line of the river at speed if they've moved on or if no one has seen them.
      4. Note - I deliberately requested the addition of "officers" for our troops to leave it open to you to appoint appropriate NPCs or for other PCs to join the expedition. I haven't decided yet whether Timon will ride with the cavalry or go by boat, but if he goes by boat I think the cavalry leader should be someone with enough social skills to be able to convince our neighbors to let them pass if challenged.

Stuff I'd like to add in Timon's next post:
      5. Timon will want Ryk or one of his men on the riverboat to be able to identify the killers/kidnappers.
      6. Timon will want to check in with Lady Jonquil while waiting for his posse to assemble. Since Nolla and Holly came to see Timon a few days ago, and yet appear to have been killed yesterday, it seems the girls must have had a little more extended contact with the men from the Riverfly. Perhaps they said something to Lady Jonquil that could give us a clue as to why they were killed?

Comment

Vlad

The Clam Knight removes his greathelm, revealing a face younger than yours, framed by a mess of blond hair and sporting a torn lip where your pommel crashed his helm into his mouth. “As you say, ser.” He dismounts, sloughing his shield from his bloodied left arm, and moves to rouse his comrade, whom you laid low with the flat of your blade.

Meanwhile, the two servants ride into the clearing, dismounting and hurrying to aid Sers Willis and Leslyn with skeins of water. Ser Leslyn has a bloodied scalp (he didn’t care to don a helm before riding into combat) and he looks quite dazed. He otherwise appears unharmed, though his shield is cracked right down the middle. A few yards away, Ser Willis is in worse shape. His breastplate is torn and staved in and he looks like he’s having trouble breathing in it. Ser Leo’s servant has removed the knight’s snout-visored helm and is working quickly to slice the leather straps at the armpits and waist, which will help release the breastplate itself.

Ser Leo lies still, gratefully waiting for you to slice his bonds. When the cords and cut and his gag removed, he tries to stand, but collapses back down, his muscles spasming. Muttering curses under his breath, he gingerly begins stretching his limbs and back. “Thank you, sers,” he offers, nodding to you, Leslyn, and Willis. “House Lychester will pay dearly for this affront.” His face is taut, angry.

With the rush of the fight fading from your veins, you begin to feel some of the blows you took during the battle. None pierced your armor, but you’ll like as not find a few bruises blossoming on your shieldarm and on your side, where you took a strike or two. The Clam Knight has now shaken awake the mace-wielding knight. You see now that his mail is plain and rusted, and his personal device—a black dragonfly—is painted crudely on a copper medallion affixed to his armor. A hedge knight, most like. Turning to examine the third, headless knight, you see his sign on his shield—blue on white, a bend sinister, dividing a grey ingot of iron and a red skein of wine. None of these sigils are familiar to you, though their Lychester affiliation is clear enough—the footmen they rode with wore Lychester orange and white, and the beheaded knight’s mail is overlain with a thin cloth jerkin of the same.

Presently, Ser Leslyn finds his wits and rises. Along with the servants, he corrals the stray horses and helps lift Ser Bennard’s lifeless body onto his mount. Ser Willis remains sitting against a tree, coughing and sputtering. His breastplate hangs loosely from his body, detached at the neck, but still tucked into his steel skirt. Blood continues to weep from his chest, darkening the folds of ripped cloth and mail surrounding the wound. One of the servants is attending him, carefully removing bits of metal and fabric from the wound, and trying to stem the bleeding. Were he laying in a maester’s sickbed, he might recover. But with the earth of the Waterwood alive with worms and rot, the Stranger has a spring in his step.

OOC: In secret, I rolled dice to determine if you recognize the knights by reputation or personal experience. For each knight, I rolled a Status test to see if you recognize their sign by virtue of their reputation. In addition, if you previously knew any of the knights, I rolled Awareness (Memory) to see if you would recall interacting with them.

As for matching up yours and Timon's timelines, I think it's best to be flexible. I don't want my narrative decision to separate you at the beginning get in the way of you choosing to collaborate. As such, don't worry about hurrying back. You'll get there in time.

Timon

Ryk wipes his eyes, nodding along with your words. He still has a fair bit of fear in him, but seems resigned to your plan, or at least, his inability to dissuade you from it. Wyl hops to attention, clambering down the ladder and hurrying off to fetch the necessary men you require. Ryk too busies himself, shouting for one of his men to accompany your riders. Turning back to you, he says, “It’s Moonspirit we want for a chase. She has more oarlocks than Riverfly even if she is a bit stouter. I’ll accompany you as well. Her captain, Hard Harn, is an old friend.”

Later, as Ryk prepares his staff for his absence, you find some time to make your way to Lady Jonquil’s stilt-house. It’s one of Reedtown’s most expensive structures—a full three story estate, complete with decks and balconies, with painted windowframes and lacquered banisters, all in done in the red, blue, and greens of House Shawney. Alas, House Shawney’s right to their own townhouse was stripped following the rebellion, and auctioned off to some merchant, who passed it to Lady Jonquil. Given the trouble she’s been, it might as well have stayed in treasonous hands. Traitors understand when to bend the knee. Heretics, less so.

The Lady herself spots you approaching and swoops out onto the lowest deck to greet you. As usual, she’s gowned in a flowing silk, this time a pale blue cut from the Eyrie, and her fingers glitter with rings. Her dark brown hair is braided and tucked into an ornate bun, secured by her signature Valyrian steel pin. She breaks into a smile as she shouts out, “Ser Timon, a pleasure!” But her eyes remain unreadable; enchanting, yet dangerous. There’s a stench of some queer herb in the air, and further down the deck you can see one of her acolytes, a waif of a girl, sweeping the boards.

OOC: I think I understand the plan with one caveat: which side of the river do you want the riders to pursue on?

As for officers, Ser Walton Strong fits the bill for an evenheaded and diplomatic commander, although Ser Brendan Hill or Vlad would also be fine choices. Ser Brendan and Ser Walton are near equals in terms of leadership ability, but Ser Brendan has the better sword and the worse temper.

Kyle

Her eyes gaze off at the horizon as she considers what you’ve said. Posing questions of piety and punishment has a way of laying bare the soul. Even learned septons, whose station and training places them closer to the divine, rarely agree when holding forth on such subjects. As so often happens, the answer she gives you says more about the speaker than the gods.

“If the gods be angered, the Smith must be angriest at all, for Garth’s smithy was ruined thanks to our actions. Musn’t I then help to rebuild it? Me ‘usband Pard already bears the costs, but it may please the Smith if the sinner is the laborer.”

A most literal interpretation. Down below, you see a rider making hard for Templestone. As he draws nearer and outruns the plume of dust behind him, you recognize him as Wyl, one of Timon's men.

Comment

Vlad

Vlad looks around at the group before him. Taking a breath he prepares to issue his orders.

"All right lads, grab the dead robber knight and secure him to his horse as well. His body is just more evidence for our case. Secure his weapons and shield as well. "

Walking over to the servant working on the wounded knight, Vlad allows a look of concern to show on his face.

"[color=royalblue ]How is he lad? Will he be able to travel? We need to move away from here and back to friendly territory. Especially given that the two rogues that ran away could bring back reinforcements. Clean the wound as best you can. Rinse it with as much water as you can spare. Bind them as tightly as he can stand it, then help him onto his horse.[/color]"

Next Vlad walks over to the two captured knights. Not quite sure of what to do, yet knowing that they need to leave the area, he chooses one of the only options he has.

"You've both yielded to me. As such I'm treating you both as in accordance with your station as knights. You'll be allowed to keep your shield and weapons. If we are attacked on the way back you will accept my command and fall out to hold the attackers at bay. Yet know this, make any move to attack myself or any other member of this group and I'll finish what I started. Prove yourselves honorable by keeping your word and I'll say as much when you face judgment."

Leaving them to collect their gear Vlad makes his way over to where Ser Leslyn and Ser Leo are standing.

"[color=royalblue]Allright lads here's the thick of it. We need to leave the area quickly in case reinforcements are coming. The servant's are preparing our wounded comrade for travel. The prisoners have yielded to me and will be treated as such. When we leave Ser Leslyn, you will lead us out. Make your way back to Templestone as quickly as possible. Only travel slow enough to keep our group together.[/color"

"Ser Leo, you will fall in behind Ser Leslyn. While I do not doubt your skill or valor, you are not armored for combat. As such should we be attacked your job will be an important one. If indeed we are attacked Ser Leslyn will fall out with me and the two prisoners. We will hold off the attackers while you lead the party to safety."

Knowing what the young knight is about to say in protest, Vlad smiles and lightly claps him on the shoulder.

"Someone has to get word back to Templestone of the attack. If not me or Leslyn here...then that honor must fall to you."

Vlad then mounts up and surveys the are making sure all the gear from the enemy camp is secured on the horses. Once the servants and the wounded knight are on their horses, Vlad signals Ser Leslyn and Leo to start out. Once they move, the servants and the wounded knight move out, quickly followed by the two captured knights and finally by Vlad himself.

Comment

Kyle

Kyle

Her eyes gaze off at the horizon as she considers what you’ve said. Posing questions of piety and punishment has a way of laying bare the soul. Even learned septons, whose station and training places them closer to the divine, rarely agree when holding forth on such subjects. As so often happens, the answer she gives you says more about the speaker than the gods.

“If the gods be angered, the Smith must be angriest at all, for Garth’s smithy was ruined thanks to our actions. Musn’t I then help to rebuild it? Me ‘usband Pard already bears the costs, but it may please the Smith if the sinner is the laborer.”

A most literal interpretation. Down below, you see a rider making hard for Templestone. As he draws nearer and outruns the plume of dust behind him, you recognize him as Wyl, one of Timon's men.
            “It would seem you have the right of it, but you are neverallowed to be alone together, nor with any woman that eventually choses tomarry him. You will come to the Sept twice a week to ask forgiveness and to letme know how everything is going. What about your husband and yourself? How is he treating you?”

Comment

Timon
              Ryk wipes his eyes, nodding along with your words. He still has a fair bit of fear in him, but seems resigned to your plan, or at least, his inability to dissuade you from it. Wyl hops to attention, clambering down the ladder and hurrying off to fetch the necessary men you require. Ryk too busies himself, shouting for one of his men to accompany your riders. Turning back to you, he says, “It’s Moonspirit we want for a chase. She has more oarlocks than Riverfly even if she is a bit stouter. I’ll accompany you as well. Her captain, Hard Harn, is an old friend.”
              "Good, glad to have you along," Timon replies, his tone now softer and more sympathetic. "I cannot allow the crimes of those men to go unpunished Ryk, I know you understand that. But I promise you, I'll do all I can to see that no harm comes to your boy."

Later, as Ryk prepares his staff for his absence, you find some time to make your way to Lady Jonquil’s stilt-house. It’s one of Reedtown’s most expensive structures—a full three story estate, complete with decks and balconies, with painted windowframes and lacquered banisters, all in done in the red, blue, and greens of House Shawney. Alas, House Shawney’s right to their own townhouse was stripped following the rebellion, and auctioned off to some merchant, who passed it to Lady Jonquil. Given the trouble she’s been, it might as well have stayed in treasonous hands. Traitors understand when to bend the knee. Heretics, less so.

The Lady herself spots you approaching and swoops out onto the lowest deck to greet you. As usual, she’s gowned in a flowing silk, this time a pale blue cut from the Eyrie, and her fingers glitter with rings. Her dark brown hair is braided and tucked into an ornate bun, secured by her signature Valyrian steel pin. She breaks into a smile as she shouts out, “Ser Timon, a pleasure!” But her eyes remain unreadable; enchanting, yet dangerous. There’s a stench of some queer herb in the air, and further down the deck you can see one of her acolytes, a waif of a girl, sweeping the boards.
              "Mistress Jonquil," Timon acknowledges her greeting with a slight nod. "I'm afraid there's no pleasure involved in my visit. By now I assume you've heard that Nolla and Holly, two serving girls from the Fist, were found drowned in the Ley yesterday. I understand that they frequently attended your sermons and that they slept under your roof on occasion. Is that correct?" Timon's tone is commanding and businesslike, making it clear that he expects answers and that he's not interested in pleasantries for pleasantries sake.

OOC: If Vlad wants in on the chase I think it would be best if he leads the cavalry while Timon goes with Ryk on the Moonspirit. Let's bring Ser Walton as well, to command the archers and the men from the garrison on the boat. I expect Vlad can handle the cavalrymen himself.

Comment

Mason

The Sunderland boy puffs himself up a bit, quick to defend his conquest. “I assure you, she was sweet as a summer rose!” He takes the wineskin and lays flat on his back, guzzling at it. Now prostrate, he goes on, “Oh it’s no secret that Lord Shawney makes the occasional trip to Tyrosh. Most Riverlander lords are not so cultured as to venture beyond the narrow sea. But his daughter Gwenyth lives there and so he comes to visit and see his grandson.” He props himself up on his elbows. “Of course, he doesn’t have a herald announce his travels to King Aeys’ court, but I assure you, half the Riverlands know, which means the Bloodraven knows. A thousand eyes and one, they say he has. Well, you should know! Weren’t you squired to some hedge knight who lives fat on Bloodraven’s coin?” He gives you a look of mock reproach and makes a tsssking noise.

“Say what you will of Brackens and half-Brackens. I’ll take them over a one-eyed sorcerer. And the Tyroshi are wonderful. That’s where I was going: I may have fathered a bastard on a Tyroshi lass with hair the color of the sea, all blue and green. I mean to take another two Tyroshi lovers with the same hair to match my house’s sigil.” The Sunderland sigil is three women’s faces on a field of wavy green and blue, one for each of the Three Sisters. It’s well known that the Sisters are a wretched enclave of smugglers and worse, although Royce seems no different from any other man you’ve met of your age. Royce seems lost in thought, but soon returns. “That’s right, I forgot about that whole Blackwood-Bracken rivalry. Is that still going on?” Such a statement would be laughably ignorant for a Riverlander to say, but perhaps the Sunderlands have no maester to teach them history.
                Is was Mason's turn to go on the defensive. " Ser Fern might be living well off the generosity of Blood Raven, but don't forget he held his own against the Bittersteel." Reaching over and grabbed the wineskin, Mason raised it for a toast as Royce talked about his plans for his future conquest. "An amiable goal if I do say so myself. I just hope you have enough coin for them to make it a reality." He said with a chuckle, taking another large gulp of wine. " Now what you should do is join me in making the eight. There is no greater sign of a cultured man than one who has sampled all the delicacies the realm has to offer." Mason finished the rest of wine before standing up, shaking his head at Royce's ignorance of the Blackwood-Bracken conflict. "Well, as much as I rather stay down here, out of the heat and ignoring my duties, its only a matter of time before Ethan sends someone looking for me and finds my hiding spot. Come, I can have a servant fetch some more wine and we can continue this conversation in my in office by the stables."

As Mason made his way out of the cellars and into the great hall, he was surprised to see that Ethan had already adjourned court for today. Handing the wineskin to a serving girl with instructions to return with a fresh one to his office. Mason stretched as he exited the castle, letting the warmth of the sun wash over. Seeing Ethan in conversation with Lord Shawney, Mason made his way over to join the two, but stop half way with the arrival of Wyl. "Well this will be interesting," he thought to himself, as he waited for the rider to address Ser Ethan.

[OOC: Don't forget, Mason here to take down some outlaws.]

Comment

Mason

As you stand, you notice your head feels a little heavier than it did when you were sitting. Wine. The Sunderland boy exclaims at your mention of the eight. “I’ve heard northern maidens have wolves’ teeth guarding their maidenheads, while southron girls in Dorne have snatches full of sand! I’ll have none of it, I say!” He lifts his feet from the cistern, and soles slapping the floor, unsteadily makes his way to where he’s laid his boots. You realize you’ve held your wine better than he has, though he was greedier in sharing the wineskin than you. He follows you up the steps to the main floor of Templestone, where a pleasant breeze in blowing in from the doorway to the courtyard. Through it, you spot Ser Ethan speaking to Lord Shawney, who is characteristically unkempt. Perhaps lack of a hand makes a man dirty or clumsy. Or maybe it’s the loss of his sons and line. Or the drink. Or the treason.

Ser Ethan nods to you, stepping back to let you into the circle. Lord Shawney makes eye contact for a moment, but continues speaking. “—would be most honored if you would attend the tourney, with your best household knights in train of course. It’s not for two months, but I would be happy to feast you at my tower and perhaps introduce you to Harbert Paege, a stalwart knight. I’m sure he would be happy to trade tourney stratagems and other whispers. He’s well connected north of the Red Fork and at King’s Landing.” Before anyone can respond, a guardsman thunders into the courtyard, his horse frothing. As he reins up, you recognize him as Wyl, a simple but driven man with striking blue eyes. Wyl bows and dismounts quickly, slapping the caked dust from his tabard, which bears the red and white of House Leyburn. “Ser! Your nuncle has uncovered a murder and kidnapping at Reedtown! He begs men from the garrison—ten men and an officer from the garrison and cavalry, with five archers besides. The foemen have made for Lord Harroway’s Town by riverboat and Ser Timon means to give chase by land and water.” Various others in the courtyard have taken notice and a small crowd has gathered to take in the spectacle.

OOC: It seems like DR is occupied, so unless he responds to this relatively quickly, just assume Ethan approves the request and isn’t going to micromanage who is going or has the command.

Vlad

The young Ser Leo sputters a bit at your forceful command, but he’s not so stupid to have forgotten that you just saved him and took down three knights in the process. He recovers his ornate hunting bow and an extra sword and remounts. Both servants have made haste, gathering the dead knight, his head, and a couple Lychester tabards from the dead men. They’ve hoisted Ser Willis ahorse and lashed him to his saddle, where he sits nodding forward limply. For their part, the two robber knights take their weapons back with some degree of contrition. They follow your orders and ride out behind Sers Leslyn and Leo. The servants follow you, making you a group of eight, though Willis rides but a step ahead of the Stranger.

Taking the fastest path north out of the woods, you encounter no more molestation. The Waterwood has ever been a contested tract, first being a domain of House Shawney, then after the rebellion, House Lychester—with the right of hunting profit held by House Leyburn, though this right was traded to House Darry. And that’s only the history that you know. Like as not, the wood has changed hands a half a hundred times since the coming of Aegon the Conqueror. As for the meaning of the Lychester attack, you have little inclination of motive. Your two captives, whose names you’ve learned are Ser Maynard (clam sigil) and Ser Rast the Dragonfly (namesake sigil), have not volunteered their plan. The whole group had the look and feel of deserters, complete with rotting rations and filthy kit. But on the other hand, old Lord Ryman Lychester is said to be half-senile and paranoid, and two years ago he hanged for a spy Robin Rivers, the bastard of Darry. Tit for tat, Lord Deremond Darry seized the Lychester docks off some tributary river and exacted a tax until the blood debt was satisfied. Kidnapping a son of House Darry would have some precedent in the dispute. And there’s also the matter of Balon Lychester, an honorless dwarf and heir to House Lychester. It’s said that Balon is the true master of House Lychester, disguising his hand behind his father’s madness.

By the time Reedtown comes into sight, Ser Willis is no more. One of the servants leads his dappled white gelding by the reins with Willis’s corpse still lashed in place. Up ahead, the town appears busy. You can see a handful of Timon’s guardsmen and One-Hand Ryk shouting orders to a small crowd of boatmen and dock-workers, who are busily shuffling goods off the boat and onto the pier.

OOC: Since Reedtown is between the Waterwood and Templestone, you reach it first. It’s up to you if you want to interact with Timon or anyone at Reedtown or if you want to just press on straight to Templestone.

Timon

The Lady ignores your question, instead launching into a monologue on her two favorite topics: herself and the “Mystic Gods.” “Now Timon, I knew you would come calling, because I spied a comet on the last new moon, just as I spied one when you begged me to treat the smallfolk in the Spring.” This is mostly false. Her efforts at faith-healing drew in so many sick from the countryside that Reedtown was near-overrun. Moving against her would have sparked a revolt, so instead you persuaded her to take her flock to the quarantine in Templestone. “You are the comet, Ser Timon. Flying in a steady line to your fate, never complaining, never questioning. And thus, when the comet appeared last week on the new moon, I knew the Mystic Gods had put you on a course back to me. It was much the same when I cured Ser Elmar of gout”—another lie, he only thought he had gout—“then, the Mother appeared, quite mystically, in a dream I had, and showed me how to scour a pitted old sword—Ser Elmar to be sure! Indeed, the flames of my hearth have taken the form of the Crone on many an occasion to warn me of impending—” She continues in a similar vein until you interrupt her.

As usual, she delivers this piece in the slow, powerful style that lords use to address the smallfolk. And as usual, it’s a stream of nonsensical near-heresy overlaying a few uncomfortable, piercing truths.

Kyle

Shella nods at your request, mumbling out a “thank’ye, septon.” At your question regarding her husband, she sighs. “He’s so often gone to deliver a boat or fell lumber. A maid gets bored! And he’s a sinner too, a gambler to wit. I earn a bit of coin as a seamstress and from…Garth, though not anymore, and sometimes it’s my coin that buys the wood and nails for his next boat, ‘cause he’s gone and lost all of his on the Fist.” She’s referring to King Daeron’s Fist, a beached warship turned gambling hall.

Comment

KYLE

"Perhaps I should talk to your husband about his gambling and to spend more time with you and not neglecting his familial duties. Come back and see me in a few days. I will need to check your back is healing properly."

Noticing the arrivals below, he smiled at Shella.

"If you will excuse me my dear, I believe I am needed below."

Comment

Kyle and Mason

Kyle arrives in time to hear everything Mason has heard...

Comment

Vlad

Vlad slows the group down as the village comes into sight. Dismounting his horse Vlad motions for the two servants to remove Ser Willis's body from its upright position and lash it down like the others.

Once that is complete Vlad remounts and the group continues on towards the village. As they enter the village, Vlad continues the normal pace and ignores the stares and whispers as the smallfolk look at their ragged convy. Taking a direct path to the group Vlad does his best at locating Timon amongst the crowd. After a moment Vlad spots his friend, conversing with a woman that's standing on a balcony, and makes his way over.

Comment

The Lady ignores your question, instead launching into a monologue on her two favorite topics: herself and the “Mystic Gods.” “Now Timon, I knew you would come calling, because I spied a comet on the last new moon, just as I spied one when you begged me to treat the smallfolk in the Spring.” This is mostly false. Her efforts at faith-healing drew in so many sick from the countryside that Reedtown was near-overrun. Moving against her would have sparked a revolt, so instead you persuaded her to take her flock to the quarantine in Templestone. “You are the comet, Ser Timon. Flying in a steady line to your fate, never complaining, never questioning. And thus, when the comet appeared last week on the new moon, I knew the Mystic Gods had put you on a course back to me. It was much the same when I cured Ser Elmar of gout”—another lie, he only thought he had gout—“then, the Mother appeared, quite mystically, in a dream I had, and showed me how to scour a pitted old sword—Ser Elmar to be sure! Indeed, the flames of my hearth have taken the form of the Crone on many an occasion to warn me of impending—” She continues in a similar vein until you interrupt her.

As usual, she delivers this piece in the slow, powerful style that lords use to address the smallfolk. And as usual, it’s a stream of nonsensical near-heresy overlaying a few uncomfortable, piercing truths.
                          Gritting his teeth at her monologuing, Timon cuts her off brusquely. "Enough, Mistress Jonquil! I am not here for one of your sermons! Remember your place - I tolerate your presence here in Reedtown because it keeps the smallfolk happy, but do not doubt for one second that if I ever find you more trouble than you're worth, I'll have you up before Septon Kyle on charges of heresy faster than you can blink. Now, I will hear no more of comets and dreams. I asked you some simple questions and I will have my answers in plain language - if you please."

Comment

Vlad

As you ride into Reedtown proper, the smallfolk stop what they’re doing to gawk at the spectacle. Dead men rarely ride into town and you’ve brought two, including a headless one. The town itself is partway on land and partway suspended over the river itself on gang-walks and stilts. Soon enough the main thoroughfare clears out before you and your party clops ahead in single file. As you go, you get a better look at the commotion by the riverboat. It bears the name Riverfly and appears to be making ready to take passengers in a hurry. One-hand Ryk barely glances up as he continues to shout commands to the men, who are busily distributing some cargo evenly in the hold.

Up ahead, you spot Ser Timon in conversation with Lady Jonquil, who is resplendent and aloof in a blue gown on the deck of her manse. She’s a mystery in many ways—she carries herself like a highborn lady, but makes no claim to title and is known to level heady slanders at septons, lords, ladies, kings, and others. Despite this, you know that her following among the peasants is formidable and she has a fair number of noble patrons as well. You haven’t had much occasion to interact with her. She did once offer to heal your limp, though her price was a favor in place of coin.

Timon

The Lady turns her nose up a bit, the slight movement somehow twisting your interruption as if she had intended it all along. Her time at Reedtown has not been without conflict with the law and she’s a practiced hand at weathering the clashes with poise. The swindle requires a certain orator’s dignity, sometimes best served by silence in the face of authority.

She knows better than to try and talk over you. When you’ve finished your reprimand, Lady Jonquil nods. “The comet shall not be swayed, I see. Nolla and Holly were indeed among my flock. The wisdom of the Crone can only come from a woman’s lips. Your septons haven’t an ounce of sense between them—bring a woman like Nolla to one and he’ll trip over himself deciding whether to beat the sin from her with a rod or to present his own ‘rod’ for beating.” She makes a tsking sound. “All condemnation and lust and contradiction with that lot. It’s no wonder the two of them preferred the gentler wisdom of my sermons. Now as I recall, they came by at least once a month for the last half year. I saw them around town last week, but they had not ventured to see me in at least two weeks.”

As she finishes her account, you get the sense someone’s watching. Glancing back, you see Ser Vladimir Kirov astride a well-frothed horse, his armor showing more scratches and dents than you remember. Behind him are a pair of scruffy hedge knights, and Sers Leo and Leslyn Darry. You recall that the former Darry was taking a hunt in the Waterwood, while the later Darry (a household knight of Leyburn) was among the guard, commanded by Ser Vlad. A bit further back, a couple of horses have what appear to be armored corpses lashed down like saddlebags. This is an ominous day indeed.

Comment

Timon
                              "Thank you, Mistress Jonquil - a straight answer is all I required of you. I thank you for your time and bid you a good day." With a brief nod at Lady Jonquil, Timon withdraws and makes his way to meet Ser Vladimir.

"Ser Vladimir!" Timon calls out as he nears the cluster of horsemen. "What is the meaning of this commotion, and where is the rest of Ser Leo's escort?"

OOC: If Jonquil is telling the truth, then she hasn't met the girls since before the Riverfly came to town. Looks like it's time for another Awareness (Empathy) test (per p. 60 in the rulebook) to get a feel for whether Timon thinks Jonquil is telling the truth about not having spoken to Nolla and Holly for two weeks.

Awareness (Empathy) test: 5d6k4 11...aaand Timon really looks to be off his game.
                              Last edited by rax; 01-03-2017, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Vlad

Vladimir looks at Timon with a serious look on his face. "The answer is simple my friend, but not good. As we were escorting Ser Leo, we were attacked. Looks like they were leftovers from the war. Ser Leo was captured, but I led the charge and he was rescued. We managed to either kill or drive off the bandits. I managed to capture two of the Hedge Knights and secured their word of cooperation in this matter. The only real problem is that some of the bandits were wearing the colors of the so called host of the hunt. You can see the potential for that problem. I've secured the bodies of the slain as proof of the attack, as well as the testimonies of ourselves and the two knights. So my friend, as you can see my day has been eventful. How has yours been? "

Comment

Working...
                                X