Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

Kyle

Lord Shawney steps out of the water bucket and begins laboriously pulling his boots on with his single hand. It’s hard to know what to do in such situations. The man’s damnable squire ran off to go drink with Mason and now his lord is struggling most ungracefully. Eventually, he finishes and stands straight, nodding to you. At your mention of Blackfyre, he nods solemnly, but frowns a bit when you suggest the fire did not continue there. “I for one look forward to seeing Blackfyre in the hand of the King.” It’s a tactful thing to say, especially for Lord Shawney, but at the same time it remains open to interpretation. Of which King does he speak?

With that, Lord Garlon Shawney begins down the spiral stone steps, making for his guest chambers no doubt.

Vlad

Your rounsey leaps forward at the touch of your spur, barreling straight at the knight astride Ser Leo’s horse. The men-at-arms have no time to react and the Lychester knight has barely begun to raise his shield when you strike. Your blow shortens him by a head, striking just above the flared lip of his breastplate and just below the edge of his helm and jaw. It goes flying, separating from the helm as it goes.

Chaos erupts around you as the Lychester men rush to counter. The two other Lychester knights wheel towards you, shouting and hammering at you with sword and mace, one on each side. You catch a glimpse of a footman hurling a spear, and hear the whang of it deflecting off of someone’s armor. There’s a terrible crash and a horse’s scream, as well as the crunch of steel biting through armor and flesh. Ser Leslyn’s horse runs by, riderless. On your right, the knight with sword in hand and a clam device on his shield is working hard to keep you at bay, fighting a defensive exchange. His compatriot on your left is his opposite, dropping all defenses to clash his shield into yours and bash your armor with cruel, heavy blows.

As you pivot, you can see the state of the field. Ser Leslyn and Ser Bennard Roote are down, with torn and bloodied armor. Only two Lychester footmen remain on their feet, one being pressed hard by Ser Willis’s bloody sword and the other straining hard against a crossbow stirrup. The other three look dead, each one struck down or trampled by a Darry or Leyburn knight. You’re vaguely aware of Ser Leo Darry on the ground to your left, still trussed up like a roast turnip, squirming against his bonds.

OOC: Closing 14 yards takes up a double move for your mount, meaning you have to charge in order to still attack. That imposes –1D, but +2 damage. Thus, your best four dice result in 21 instead of 25, which is still good for 4 DOS. Your base damage of 5 is increased to 7 by the charge, so you deal 28 points of damage. His armor soaks 5 and 23 points get through. You easily defeat him. Also, I believe you forgot your bonus die from expertise, not that it mattered this time.

The knight to your right rolled a 6d6b3 10, hitting for 1 DOS and 5 damage, which your armor absorbs. The knight to your left hits for 7d6b4 23, 3 DOS and 18 damage, reduced by your armor to a total of 9 damage dealt to you. Both benefited from +2 damage from their mounts not moving this round.

Ethan

Pard and Garth accept your lordly justice with solemn nods. They each head for opposite doors as soon as it’s clear you’re done with them. Pard’s wife moves off as well, no doubt in search of your uncle, Septon Kyle.

When you ask his damages, Wate’s face twists up in thought. It’s clear that the possibility of measuring his harm in any precise term had not yet occurred to him. Smallfolk as a rule are not prone to thinking in sums, especially when it involves the possibility of future earnings. Finally, Wate suggests a number. “A dozen, dozen silver stags?” It’s enough to buy fifteen head of cattle or even a steel polearm or bludgeon. It’s not an unreasonable suggestion. You expect that one of Wate’s suits of boiled leather can be had for not much more than that. If the Greenarm’s slanders are real, you’d expect Wate to have lost out on a couple such sales. Sometimes it’s hard to understand the value of such small sums. The clothes you’re wearing now are worth far more, and you have many more of the same. Wate’s price could fetch a quarter the value of a fine battle-trained courser. You’re quite sure he’s not trying to trick you.

Timon

A bead of sweat appears on Ryk’s brow as your line of questioning turns back towards the Fist. “Well, it was a fairly normal night I’d say—rowdy at times, to be sure. I pitched a few men out for passing shaved coins, another for drawing steel when his friend failed to pay a gambling debt. Lord Shawney’s squire had a streak of luck, but he pissed it all away going all in on a single throw of the dice. A shame for him too. He had Nolla and Holly on each of his knees for half the night, casting dice with one hand and groping with the other. Learned the hard way that the whores move on when the silver dries up. Per’aps you should question him. He’s a sisterman though—duplicitous and half-pirate, mostlike.”

This could be more misdirection, but it’s hard to say. Lord Shawney is uncouth and prone to treason against the crown, so it’s not surprising that he has a sisterman for a squire. The Three Sisters have a sour history, having been ruled by pirate kings, Northmen, and the Arryns of the Vale. They fancied the Black Dragon and likely will fancy the next idiot rebel.

OOC: Your convince attempt is successful for 2 DOS and 6 Influence, minus Ryk’s DR. Ryk either failed to influence you or took an action that doesn’t result in influencing you.

As to your question, they appear to have drowned. There are no obvious wounds.

Comment

Timon
      Originally posted by Ser heretic View Post
      A bead of sweat appears on Ryk’s brow as your line of questioning turns back towards the Fist. “Well, it was a fairly normal night I’d say—rowdy at times, to be sure. I pitched a few men out for passing shaved coins, another for drawing steel when his friend failed to pay a gambling debt. Lord Shawney’s squire had a streak of luck, but he pissed it all away going all in on a single throw of the dice. A shame for him too. He had Nolla and Holly on each of his knees for half the night, casting dice with one hand and groping with the other. Learned the hard way that the whores move on when the silver dries up. Per’aps you should question him. He’s a sisterman though—duplicitous and half-pirate, mostlike.”

This could be more misdirection, but it’s hard to say. Lord Shawney is uncouth and prone to treason against the crown, so it’s not surprising that he has a sisterman for a squire. The Three Sisters have a sour history, having been ruled by pirate kings, Northmen, and the Arryns of the Vale. They fancied the Black Dragon and likely will fancy the next idiot rebel.
      Duplicitous and half-pirate? You'd know all about that, wouldn't you One-Hand? Timon thinks, but keeps his expression carefully neutral while pondering what to do with this new information. At any rate, you're awfully keen to throw leads my way today, aren't you? At least as long as they point me away from the Fist...

Action: Consider for +2B to any one test during the next exchange.

Comment

Vlad

Vladimir feels the blow from the mace and knows it got past the armor. Shrugging it off as best he can Vlad stays in the fight knowing that the only way, that any of them would make out, is to end the fight quickly. Turning his anger at his two opponents Vladimir swings his sword in a heavy slash at the more offensively fighting opponent. The fighter with the mace.

OOC- Vlad took 9 damage in the attack. Ill have him take an injury...which erases 4 points of damage, thus letting 5 get through. His health should be at 7. The injury will impose a -1 on the end result of all tests.

Attack-
        Attacking mace wielding knight: 8d6k5 23

Total- 23
        -1 for injury= 22
        +1 to the end result from haunted= 23
        Final total- 23

Comment

Kyle

He watched Lord Shawney leave, pondering the future. If they were going to a tourney, then that would be a prime opportunity to learn more about Lady Jonquil. She was becoming a problem.

Comment

Ethan frowns....”Wate, I will give you a chance to redeem yourself. You will make make me a suit of fine (read 'superior' and I am leaving the 'hard' vs. 'soft' up to him) leather armor. You will be paid for this work. Should your work meet my standards, I will make good your loss (12 silver stags).”

Turning to the Greenarm “I am unable to find you guilty of a crime. You should be thankful to the seven for my forbearance and the fact that I demand proof before judgement. I expect that we have heard the last of these rumors, yes?” The threat in this statement should be clear to all but the dimmest of lack-wits.

<OOC – Intimidate Roll for ‘effect and entertainment purposes’ - Intimidate: 4d6k3 15 >

To the crowd - “We are finished here.”

As Ser Ethan leaves, he savors the cool wine that Master Odryn brought him. He can't quite shake the feeling that he missed some important fact. “I should run today's cases by 'The Septon' and Timon” he thinks to himself.

Ser Ethan starts letting go of the tension of the judgement seat. As he relaxes, Ethan find himself walking around the Templestone.

OOC: I am leaving this a bit open ended so either the GM can direct me somewhere or one of the other players in Templestone can 'hail' me if they so desire.
            Last edited by David Rosenberg; 11-06-2016, 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Timon

Ryk looks out across the Ley as you fall silent, giving you some time to think. Presently, he speaks, his voice cracking earnestly. “Just find Lady Jonquil. I’ve no idea how those two ended up in the river.”

OOC: This time Ryk influences you for 2, after applying your DR. You’re at 7/9 Composure unless you want to take Frustration instead.

Kyle

Lord Shawney disappears from view. Soon enough, a young herald boy makes an appearance, bowing. “Septon, I’ve been sent to bring you Shella, wife of Pard. Ser Ethan has commanded her to seek confession and punishment.” From behind him, a simple woman of some thirty years steps forth, clad in a roughspun dress. The herald departs.

“G’day, Septon,” she offers. “The Lord said I’m to present meself your punishment for my crime.” She lowers her eyes. “Adultery. They’ve already struck me six times across the back with a switch, but now the Gods must punish me as well?” Her understanding of theology appears to be as limited as her understanding of rank; your nephew Ethan is a landed knight, not a lord, but smallfolk are prone to such mix-ups.

Vlad

Your risposte easily breaks past the knight’s defenses. He had stood high in his stirrups, extending mightily for each strike, but leaving himself open to your response. His black stallion backs away, its head rolling from side to side. On your right, the knight with the clam on his shield begins slashing harder and faster, raking your armor with his blade. Your horses jockey and snap at one another, stomping and dancing in a tight circle.

Somewhere behind you, you hear the twang of a crossbow and the shriek of the bolt glancing off steel. Ser Willis dances his horse to the side, twisting to see the bowman, only to be taken full in the chest by his foeman’s halberd. He goes down in a clanging heap. The crossbowman himself flees for the deeper wood, revealing himself a coward before gods and men. His companion with the halberd hefts it and turns towards you. He's still five yards away.

There are now only three men left standing (or astride a horse) in the clearing—you, the Clam Knight, and the halberdier footman.

OOC: Your strike is good for 4 DOS and the defeat of the mace-wielding knight. It's up to you as to the manner of defeat. I left it ambiguous in case you want him for a prisoner. The longsword-wielding knight with the clam painted on his shield strikes for 7d6 best 4: 17 and 2 DOS, dealing 10 damage minus 9 from your armor. You take 1 damage.

Ser Ethan

Wate bows deeply and gratefully, while the Greenarm’s gesture is more reserved. They both take their leave of the chamber, exiting through different doors. Your remaining retainers tactfully exit as well, reading your exasperation with the petitioners. Only Ser Elmar stays, getting up to wander Templestone with you.

Outside the great hall, Templestone is little more than a few winding corridors and old septons’ quarters, converted now into your personal solar and a few rooms for your family and close attendants. Old, faded tapestries line the walls, depicting the Andal conquest. Back in those days, knights were much more zealous in their piety. Many of those depicted have carved the seven-pointed star into their chests or foreheads, and legend has it that the Andal conquerors struck their most decisive blows when they charged with seven hundred and seventy-seven knights. Between the the tapestries are evenly spaced torch sconces and alcoves featuring statues of each of the Seven. Each one bears evidence of worship--wilting flowers left at the Maiden's feet, a pair of spurs and an old dent-rimmed shield set before the Warrior, and a simple workman's hammer leaned up against the Smith. It’s a serviceable enough holdfast, but the defensive fortifications are mostly external—thickened walls, mortared over windows, a crenellated rooftop—leaving the inside more pious than lordly.

OOC: Either people can come find you or vice versa. Assume you can easily figure out where everyone else is by asking around.

Comment

Timon
                Ryk looks out across the Ley as you fall silent, giving you some time to think. Presently, he speaks, his voice cracking earnestly. “Just find Lady Jonquil. I’ve no idea how those two ended up in the river.”
                Timon smiles grimly in response. "I never expected you did, Ryk. After all, you've a business to run. I understand if you've got other priorities than keeping an eye on the whereabouts of two whores."

Nah, no need for Frustration just yet.
                Read Target: 7d6k4 15 Oh FFS Orokos! What's it going to take to get a result higher than 15?

BTW, still hoping for a reply regarding how quickly we can regain DP. If I don't have to be without my DP for too long, I'd like to spend one here to boost my result to 18.

Also, does Timon know where the girls lived? Was it at the Fist?
                Last edited by rax; 11-10-2016, 03:41 PM. Reason: Additional OOC questions

Comment

Vlad

Vlad smiles with satisfaction as the flat of his blade cracks on the side of the head of the mace wielding knight. Slowly as if almost being pulled from the saddle the enemy knight falls to the ground unconcious and out of the fight.

Turning hus attention back to the last remaining knight, Vlad does his best to end the threat here so he can turn his attention elsewhere....sych as to the approaching halbardier.

Attack knight with sword-
                  Attack sword wielding knight: 12d6k6
                  Total= 32

OOC- is it safe to admit that Vlad is a bad...bad man.

Comment

Kyle

“Has anybody checked your woundsto ensure that they do not become infected?” Heindicated the woman to sit.What she had done was not favourable to the Seven, but it did not warrant hersuffering unduly.

“You have been foundguilty of adultery and your sentence in the eyes of your Lord has been carriedout. The Seven has many things to say on this matter, but tell me before I passany judgment upon you on their behalf, tell me why did you stray?

Ooc
                    Read target
                    read target: 5d6k4 12

Comment

The bald crown and bulging belly of Lord Garlon Shawney catches Ser Ethan’s eye. The one armed old solider continues to stagger out of the tower out in the courtyard. “Are you here on Vickon’s business? Somebody else’s?”

Ser Ethan spies his uncle speaking to Shalla at the top of the tower, and secretly hopes that he doesn’t condemn her to the silent sisters.
                      “The Seven can be seen as merciful….I dare not.”

Ethan thoughts return to the unlucky Lord Shawney. ‘Should the old codger pay his respects to me as the host? Or do I approach him as the elder?’ The intricacies of etiquette never quite registered with Ethan. In the end, Ethan just stands there, as he continues to relax.

After a moment - “I wonder what trouble Mason got himself into?”

OOC - Did we lose Mason already? If he is still around, I will seek him out in the cellars.

Comment

Timon

Something in Ryk’s demeanor seems off. He’s normally an even keel, but he’s rocking on his feet. You’ve seen the look before, back during the Rebellion. Men would show up to join the army with hastily-painted shields and ripped tabards, suspiciously new pennants hanging from spears. Such late arrivals were to be expected with the realm’s loyalties divided. Loren would welcome them with bread and ale, but send them to fight in the vanguard. Those that lived were considered pardoned by the crown and absolved by the Gods.

Ryk turns back, changing the subject. “It’s been good for the Fist since the rains began, despite the loss of the smoke-meat. I may be able to rouse some coin for this year’s taxes early if you need it.”

You don’t take this as an overt bribe; it’s too obvious.

OOC: I’m planning on awarding DP on a pretty regular basis, so we’ll say you used one and got an 18 here. Ryk fails to influence you. Ryk is using Convince (Act) and his disposition is Indifferent.

Vlad

As your warhorses churn against one another, plowing the ground and each other with heavy hooves, you manage to maneuver to the inside, bashing your opponent’s sword wide and away with your shield and leaving him exposed to your own blade. A few cuts to his exposed shield arm and a pommel bash to the face later, he drops his sword and shouts “YBIELD!” through a mouthful of blood. The halberdier drops his polearm and runs hard after the crossbowman.

Taking stock of the situation, you can see that Ser Bennard is mortally skewered through the belly with a twelve foot pike, while Sers Leslyn and Willis are still moving. Ser Willis looks worse off, his breastplate staved in by the halberd, while Ser Leslyn’s injuries are less apparent. The Lychester host is likewise incapacitated—two men are certainly dead, hacked down and trampled in the charge, with one other nursing a bloodied arm. Of the knights, one is beheaded, one unconscious, and one has yielded. Two footmen ran off, but if you give chase, you’re not sure is Willis and Leslyn are in any shape to hold your captive. Finally, Ser Leo mumbles something through his gag, reminding you of his presence.

Down next to him are a handful of saddlebags and packs, the supplies of the Lychester men. You can see some dirty turnips poking out from a satchel, as well as some skeins and a folded fishing net.

Kyle

Shella allows you to examine her back, which has not been bandaged. Since the wounds are so new, it’s hard to say whether or not any rot will set in, but surely your attention will help. As you work, Shella fills you in on the details of her sin.

“It started out as a jape, or better said a dare. The ladies, they liked to say he’s called Steely Garth for his cock, rather than for his trade—he’s a smith. So me and Merryn were having a laugh at this and Steely Garth chanced to hear. Merryn skipped away, but I struck up a conversation with Garth and I decided to find the truth for meself.” She blushes a bit. “It turns out it’s not so steely, but he slipped me a silver after and so whenever I needed a bit of extra coin, I would go back to Garth. Twas more greed than lust, I confess it.”

Down below, you see your nephew engaged with Lord Shawney in conversation.

Ser Ethan

Lord Shawney smiles graciously and nods when you address him. “Ser Ethan. So good to see you again.” At your mention of Vickon, his face curdles a bit—a more tactful man might brush it off, but Lord Shawney is liable to take offense at any oblique mention of his treason, even though he’s widely known to pine for the days of rebellion and regularly travel across the narrow sea. He looks like his head might boil for a moment, but then he composes himself. “I haven’t seen him in years, I’m afraid. If I did, I would surely try to convince him to prostrate himself before the Iron Throne and ask for mercy.” His words ring hollow as to the last part, but you can’t be sure whether or not he’s seen Vickon.

“Now, Vickon was ever a fighter. I’ve always said you Leyburns are made of steel and manliness! I’d very much like to see you on the tourney grounds with steel in hand. As it happens, I have the honor of bearing an invitation for House Leyburn to attend the coming tourney at Whitewalls, in honor of Lord Butterwell’s marriage to a lady of Frey. Your appearance would bring favor upon all those present, I daresay. Everyone knows the roll of valor that your house commands—Vlad Kirov, Sweetsteel, the Blacktooth, and of course yourself and your uncles. Truly, it would be a grand addition.”

Comment

KYLE

Hewithdrew a few supplies he carried with him and began tending her wounds. Therewas no need for her to suffer.
                          “And howdid your husband respond when he found out? What did you do with the coin? Hasanything happened to Garth?”
                          Heractions were near enough just that of a whore, but things he was aware were neverthat simple.
                          Ooc
                          Healing check
                          Awareness check – is shelying to me at all?
                          Is Garth married atall?

Comment

Timon
                            Something in Ryk’s demeanor seems off. He’s normally an even keel, but he’s rocking on his feet. You’ve seen the look before, back during the Rebellion. Men would show up to join the army with hastily-painted shields and ripped tabards, suspiciously new pennants hanging from spears. Such late arrivals were to be expected with the realm’s loyalties divided. Loren would welcome them with bread and ale, but send them to fight in the vanguard. Those that lived were considered pardoned by the crown and absolved by the Gods.

Ryk turns back, changing the subject. “It’s been good for the Fist since the rains began, despite the loss of the smoke-meat. I may be able to rouse some coin for this year’s taxes early if you need it.”

You don’t take this as an overt bribe; it’s too obvious.
                            "Glad to hear you're doing well, Ryk. I'll be sure to keep your offer in mind," Timon responds with a little more warmth. "Now, tell me about Lord Shawney's squire. How did he take losing both his winnings and his whores at a throw of the dice? And who was it that won his coin?"

Influence (Convince): 6d6k5 22

OOC: A repeat request - does Timon know where the girls lived/slept? If not, I might want to add that question to this exchange.
                            Also, the rains that Ryk keeps mentioning. I'm assuming that this is common knowledge and that Timon would know how long ago they occurred?

Comment

Kyle

She hangs her head in shame, recalling again her sin. “Me ‘usband Pard…he took an axe to the stilts of Garth’s house when he found out. Only he didn’t figure Garth’s house would slide as it fell and take out our own home. All the coin and the rest of our affects are at the bottom of the Ley now. Lord Ethan bade Garth to find a wife and said he would lose his manhood if he laid with another man’s wife again. And Pard must pay for Garth’s damages, as soon as he earns enough.”

She tests the bandages on her back with a ginger touch. “Thank you, septon. It feels better now, though the sting of the Father’s judgment cuts through still.”

OOC: Your Healing (Treat Injury) check is good for 14, which is good enough to set the injury and prevent infection. Based on a secret Awareness check, you don’t think she’s lying to you.

Timon

At your mention of him doing well, Ryk’s mouth hardens and then quivers. He forces his eyes shut and turns away, rubbing his face. Turning back, he chokes out, “they took my boy, Timon. The ones that did in Nolla and Holly. Twasn’t Shawney’s squire, though he was quite the mess that night.” He paces back and forth in front of you, barely containing his angst. “There were three of them—rough types swept into town on the Riverfly—a riverboat that you've encountered in the past—“Nolla and Holly brought them some ale and soup late in the night and by the looks of it, traded a tale or two. But at the end, it all went sour. I think the Riverfly men shorted them by more than a handful of stags and Holly started making threats.” He meets your gaze. “Your name was mentioned. Holly threatened to ‘tell Ser Timon’ about something and one of them gave her the back of his hand. Right about then, my men and I broke it up. We marched them down to the jetty and told them not to return. The next day, they came back and told me they have my son and to keep quiet.” His eyes fill with tears. “I searched high and low for Jax, but he’s gone. The bastards have him, Timon.”

You're not familiar with the men he's describing based on what Ryk has said so far. The Riverfly is a riverboat that came into Reedtown a week past and cast off just yesterday for Lord Harroway's Town. If memory serves, the boat has been through Reedtown a handful of times over the last few years, usually bearing fodder and hay. Its captain is Lew Longpalm, a competent and forgettable captain. Reedtown's trading dock usually has about three to four riverboats at anchor at any given time, along with about a dozen smaller fishing vessels and barges. Right now, the riverboats at anchor are Polemaiden, Moonspirit, and Blackrunner, none of which have any affiliation with the Riverfly, although Blackrunner was once a famed smuggling boat under its previous captain, Weird Wyl.

OOC: Your result is good enough for three degrees of success. Ryk loses his composure and folds.

Sorry about the miscue on your question--I falsely thought that I had previously answered it. You're not entirely sure where Nolla and Holly slept, but it was likely on the Fist itself most nights and Lady Jonquil has been known to offer her woman followers a warm bed at night.

The rains Ryk has been referring to are the rains that ended the drought that ravaged the realm for the last couple years. The drought ended about six months ago, so he’s probably referring to rains during that time rather than a specific storm.
                              Last edited by Ser heretic; 12-08-2016, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Vlad

Vlad breathes a sigh of relief as the last knight yields. Lowering his sword to a low guard position, Vlad surveys the area.

"I accept your surrender Ser, as such you will treated according to your station. I will require your assistance in securing your comrades."

Vlad looks around until he finds the two servents hiding behind a tree. "You two! Come over here and be of some use. Assist Ser Leslyn up and into a sitting position. Get his helmet off and find something for him to drink. Let Ser Willis lay nearby, but take his helmet off and get him a drink as well."

Vlad carefully slides off of his horse and onto the ground. Walking over to the still tied Ser Leo, Vlad removes his gag and quickly slices through his bonds. Giving him space to sit and stand, Vlad turns his attention back to his conscious prisoner.

"Help me secure your comrade to his saddle. Once we've seen to our wounded we will head back to get them proper care and where you and your friend will face the Lords justice. Continue to honor your word and I'll speak during the session."

OOC- Vlad's intent is to get the two living prisoners onto and secured to their mounts. The third mount will carry the proof of the attacks. (ie... the 3 shields (for their coat of arms), the saddle bags, and anything else of use)

Then the wounded will be assisted onto their mounts. The dead knight will have hus head bagged and tied to the riderless horse. The enemy dead will lay where they fell.

Comment

Working...
                                X