Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(IC) Black Dragon Rising

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Quinton

    The ambush and disarray at first startles Quinton. The rock to his chest stings ever so briefly, at first making the boy think he's run into the back of someone or something while walking. However, hearing the cries of the men and seeing the silhouettes descend upon them like nightmarish shadows, he then pauses in his tracks - his eyes going wide - and his right hand shifting to prevent Ferret from going around him. Fortunately, the adrenaline of the march to arrest Ser Joren kept his reflexes sharp. Having trained in the Raven's Teeth and drilled under such occurrences, his body immediately goes into an automatic series of events. Judging the distance between himself and the attackers, and feeling under no immediate threat of a melee, he grips his bow tighter in his left hand while his right hand reaches back to his quiver and retrieves an arrow. Scanning the attackers, his eyes are immediately drawn to the man on horseback - his shouting of orders making him a clear target. If he is truly in command, putting an arrow in his chest and knocking him off his horse might aid them in dispersing the attackers. Raising his bow and drawing a bead on the man, Quinton makes quick aim and launches an arrow towards the man's torso.

    OOC: Not sure if you want me to roll, or if you want to do that behind the scenes because it is contested (but I'm fine with either).

    Comment


    • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

      Ser Timon

      Hissing with anger, Timon drops his torch, draws his sword, and engages the first thug who attacked him. "You wretches just made the last mistake of your miserable lives!" he roars, as he directs a cut at the head of his opponent.

      Actions: Drop torch (free action), draw sword (lesser action), and Attack! (lesser action): 7d6k5+1 26
      Damage = 5/DoS

      Defences
      Health 9/9
      CD 13
      AR 5

      Comment


      • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

        The Fight

        After the initial volley of the ambush, the Roote-Leyburn party finds its footing and the battle becomes pitched. Gerold Whent shatters a man's mouth with his mace, dropping him like a sack of meat. Butterwell and Templeton rush forward to support the two Leyburn guardsmen, while Vance plants himself firmly before Lord Roote, who seems to have taken an arrow wound. The Roote battlecry of "Two Heads! Two Heads!" echoes out into the twilight, intermingling with the grunts and screams of combat.

        Quenton

        Taking aim for the shadowy silhouette, you loose smoothly, exhaling slowly before and after release. You hear an involuntary thud and gasp as your arrow strikes home dead center on the man's torso. Moments after you do this, you see the Roote knights break through the left side, easily cutting through their unarmored foes with surehanded strokes. The remaining handful of men on that side turn and flee, leaving three of their own lying dead or wounded on the ground.

        Ser Timon

        An arrow zips over your head, burying itself in the chest of the rider. As you parry and square up, Ser Gerold scores his first kill on your left, roaring "Two Heads!" as his forehand swing punches through his foeman's jaw. Further on his left, Roote's knights have rushed forward to meet the throng of club-wielding men there. The metallic shear of steel cutting air and a scream soon follow. After feinting low, drawing the oar down, your backhand cut takes the lead oar-wielding man full across the face. He reels backward and collapses flat on his back. His compatriot darts to the side, jabbing at you with the butt of his oar so as to draw your attention--just then the robber knight is on you, sending two-handed cuts low and high at you with his bastard sword. He's a fair swordsman; more strength than technique. Even so, he lands a blow on your shield-arm just above the shield and below your shoulder that jolts you back and numbs your arm. You hear the horseman yelling for his men to hold, and see the left side faltering, with armored men racing forward and unarmored ones fleeing.

        Quenton

        Just as the clubmen on the left break, a bowman on foot feathers Tremond Butterwell from ten paces. The knight staggers, but keeps his feet. Two more bandits with steel and armor charge past the bowmen and engage Templeton and Dorian on the left. You feel yourself twitch away involuntarily as the horseman returns your fire, but suddenly you're punched in the side by his arrow. You nearly fall, but Ferret catches you and pushes you back so you can catch your balance. It hurts but luckily you can see that it struck full on a ridge of boiled leather, stealing much of its force.

        OOC: A few quick things. I forgot to mention that the lighting is Shadowy, imposing a -1D penalty on all Agility, Athletics, Awareness, Fighting, and Thievery checks, and a -2D penalty on all Marksmanship tests. I'm ruling that this doesn't impact passive scores or weapon damage. I went ahead and rolled Quinton's attack, but generally speaking, I'm all for players rolling their own dice whenever they're taking an affirmative action where the outcome will be immediately obvious. I reserve secret rolls for things like Awareness, where a known result might reveal metagame knowledge. I also roll initiative myself to speed up combat, although I suppose if a PC initiated combat, it wouldn't slow things down for the player to roll their own initiative.

        Quinton's attack roll, taking into account Shadowy penalty: Attack Roll: 6d6k3 15, good enough for 3 DOS and 9 damage, reduced by the rider's armor. The rider is still up.

        Timon's strike is good for a 22 (I took out 1D for the Shadowy conditions)--this is more than double the defender's CD, and therefore a critical hit. With two 6's, this is a Powerful Hit (see page 171), which adds +4 base damage. All told, it's a 4 DOS hit for 9/DOS and 36 damage. This foe is definitely defeated--feel free to add more to the narration if you want. The only reason it wasn't more graphic is I'm not sure if Timon is trying to kill this foe.

        The robber knight's attack against Timon achieved a result of 15, good for 1 DOS at 7 damage, reduced to 2 from Timon's armor. Timon takes 2 damage.

        The rider's attack on Quenton achieved a 12, good for 1 DOS at 6 damage, reduced to 3 from Quenton's armor. Quenton takes 3 damage.

        Comment


        • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

          Ser Timon
          Originally posted by Ser heretic View Post
          An arrow zips over your head, burying itself in the chest of the rider. As you parry and square up, Ser Gerold scores his first kill on your left, roaring "Two Heads!" as his forehand swing punches through his foeman's jaw. Further on his left, Roote's knights have rushed forward to meet the throng of club-wielding men there. The metallic shear of steel cutting air and a scream soon follow. After feinting low, drawing the oar down, your backhand cut takes the lead oar-wielding man full across the face. He reels backward and collapses flat on his back. His compatriot darts to the side, jabbing at you with the butt of his oar so as to draw your attention--just then the robber knight is on you, sending two-handed cuts low and high at you with his bastard sword. He's a fair swordsman; more strength than technique. Even so, he lands a blow on your shield-arm just above the shield and below your shoulder that jolts you back and numbs your arm. You hear the horseman yelling for his men to hold, and see the left side faltering, with armored men racing forward and unarmored ones fleeing.
          Timon curses beneath his breath as the swordsman joins the fray. Forced on the defensive, he risks a quick glance at the man he just felled. The poor light is just enough for him to see blood pouring from the ruins of the thug's face - he is surely dead.

          Shaking off the numbness in his arm, Timon raises his shield and feints an attack against the oarsman, but when the swordsman moves to take advantage of the opening, Timon quickly turns, forces his enemy's blade aside with his shield, and thrusts low at his gut.

          Actions: Distract (lesser action, Cunning vs. passive Will): 4d6 14; if successful, the knight loses Awareness from his CD against Timon's attack.
          Standard attack (lesser action): 7d6k4+1 18
          Damage = 5/DoS

          Defences
          Health 7/9
          CD 13
          AR 5

          Comment


          • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

            Quinton

            Pushed to his feet, Quinton does not acknowledge Ferret at this point although internally he was very much thankful for his comrade to be there to support him in the most literal of senses. Time is of the essence and there will be time to thank Ferret later. That, or they will both be dead and little need for the gesture. Instead, Quinton reaches back for another arrow, hissing as the wound on his side causes a painful burning sensation to run up his torso. Nocking the arrow, he favors his wounded side slightly as he takes aim at the horseman once again, quietly hoping to knock the man from his horse, if not put him down for good. The arrow in place, the bow drawn, and his breath held, he steadies him aim and lets loose a quick shot towards his mounted adversary.

            Action: Arrow Attack #2: 15

            Comment


            • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

              Quinton

              Your arrow flies true once more, landing a-center on the rider, who drops his own bow and slumps forward. On the left, the battle is once again pitched, with three foeman trading blows with four of the Roote-Leyburn force. Cries of "Two Heads!" and "Harroway" punctuate the ring of steel on steel. The White Bat’s mace claims another as the man before him drops insensate to the earth. The final foeman yields, laying his club on the ground and clasping his hands before him.


              Ser Timon

              He bites hard at your feint, stepping forward and slashing. His sword scrapes and scrabbles at your shield as he tries to jockey around your shieldarm. Sweeping his blade aside, your thrust catches him in the belly mid-advance. Another arrow zips overhead, from a friendly archer behind you. Your blade slides free of the seam in the knight’s mail and he falls backwards. The last foot of it is dark red. A clatter alerts you that the other man has dropped his oar. You see him dive headlong into the boat from which the right-side ambushers erupted.

              Surveying the field, you see that Preston Vance has recovered a torch and is holding it high as he stands before Lord Roote in the back. On the left, Tremond Butterwell sends a mail-armored foeman spinning to the ground with a two-handed stroke of his bastard sword. Ser Gerold is accepting the surrender of his final opponent, while the other two lay in the dirt. But just then, the horseman lets his mount feel the spur and he rushes forward, making to bowl through your lines. As he thunders forward into the light of Vance’s torch, you get a better look at him. He’s listing forward in his saddle, a broken arrowshaft protruding from the chest of his fine splinted armor, a quiver of his own lashed to his saddle. A flail or mace lies across his lap, but he’s in no shape to use it. Whent scuttles aside easily, and the rider continues toward you. His face is twisted in pain, framed by straight dark hair. Your eyes lock together and together you recognize each other—it’s Joren the Fox. Behind him, you see his remaining lackeys turn and flee.



              Quinton


              Suddenly, the rider charges in a diagonal for Ser Gerold and Timon. Both knights manage to avoid being trampled. The rider is clearly making for an escape—he hasn’t tried to draw the flail secured across his lap, and he’s still riding wounded, with your last arrow-shaft visible in his chest. In the wake of his charge, the final two foe-knights left standing turn and flee in the other direction.

              The rider is perhaps three yards away and is frantically kicking his horse to make good his escape.


              OOC: Quinton’s hit is identical to his last one (same target, same roll result), but Joren took a wound instead of taking the damage.

              Timon’s hit is good for 3 DOS and a critical for +2 damage, resulting in 21 damage minus 5 for the knight’s mail, or 16 points total. That knight is defeated.

              Joren charged forward by 6 yards—he’s currently adjacent to Timon and 3 yards from Quinton. He attempted a trample attack on Ser Gerold Whent and Timon, but missed both animal handling attack rolls (Timon received +5 CD for being the second target). I'll leave it to rax to narrate dodging the trample and Timon's next action.

              It's back to Quinton's initiative:

              Ambushers: 13
              Quinton: 12
              Roote's Knights: 9
              Ser Timon: 8
              Johnny and Dorian: 5

              Comment


              • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

                Ser Timon
                Originally posted by Ser heretic View Post
                Surveying the field, you see that Preston Vance has recovered a torch and is holding it high as he stands before Lord Roote in the back. On the left, Tremond Butterwell sends a mail-armored foeman spinning to the ground with a two-handed stroke of his bastard sword. Ser Gerold is accepting the surrender of his final opponent, while the other two lay in the dirt. But just then, the horseman lets his mount feel the spur and he rushes forward, making to bowl through your lines. As he thunders forward into the light of Vance’s torch, you get a better look at him. He’s listing forward in his saddle, a broken arrowshaft protruding from the chest of his fine splinted armor, a quiver of his own lashed to his saddle. A flail or mace lies across his lap, but he’s in no shape to use it. Whent scuttles aside easily, and the rider continues toward you. His face is twisted in pain, framed by straight dark hair. Your eyes lock together and together you recognize each other—it’s Joren the Fox. Behind him, you see his remaining lackeys turn and flee.
                Timon ducks to one side, barely getting out of the direct path of the horse before he's run down. "Quinton! Feather the horse!" he calls out, certain that the archer must be Vladimir's former squire. Recovering from Joren's attempt to trample him, Timon aims a cut at the horse's rear leg, trying to hamstring it. "Surrender, Joren! There's no escape for you this time!"

                Action: Aim (lesser action) for +1B to Fighting.
                Standard attack (lesser action): 8d6k4+1 23
                Damage = 5/DoS

                Defences
                Health 7/9
                CD 13
                AR 5

                Comment


                • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

                  Quinton

                  The boy's eyes go wide as he sees the rider of the horse turn his steed and set the beast in motion, away from the action, but also in his direction. Quickly moving his hand back to grab one more arrow, Quinton nocks the missile and draws his bow string. Taking in a deep breath, he steadies himself where he stands and holds the air in his chest as he steadies his aim. Unaware of Ser Timon's attempt to stop the horse with a swipe to its back legs, the young boy seems to have a similar thought: if the rider will not fall, perhaps the horse will... or at least force the rider off. Targeting the front of the horse, Quinton hopes to put an arrow directly in its neck or chest in an attempt to make the horse buck and throw the rider. His aim set, he lets loose the arrow and lowers his bow slightly to see where it connects.

                  Comment


                  • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

                    Quinton

                    The horse is hard to miss at this distance, and thankfully has no barding to speak of. Your arrow catches it low on the neck, and it snorts heavily, eyes rolling. The rider snaps the reins as the horse stumbles aside, urging it towards the town and freedom. But he’s not fast enough, for Timon cuts a leg out from under it and both horse and rider come crashing down, trapping the rider’s leg beneath the screaming horse.


                    Ser Timon

                    The boy shoots true, slowing the horse for a moment. It’s a fine destrier, heavy and clearly trained for a knight’s charge. A single stride brings you up behind it as it prepares to surge forward again. Your cut takes it in the rear knee, and the horse goes down screaming. Joren is trapped beneath, his face twisted in pain, fear, and exhaustion. For its part, the horse is wailing and thrashing, its hind leg clearly broken and a shattered arrowshaft in its neck.

                    Glancing quickly behind you, you see that Ser Gerold has secured his captive, shoving him towards Johnny and Dorian, while Templeton and Butterwell are accosting an unarmed pair of attackers who had attempted to flee onto a dock. Lord Roote is down on one knee, with an arrowhead and an inch of shaft protruding from his thigh. Ser Preston Vance remains by his side, torch in hand.

                    OOC: Quinton hits for 2 DOS and 6 damage, then Timon hits for 4 DOS and a critical for +4 extra damage. This is a total of 36 damage. Joren failed his Animal Handling test to leap free, dealing what would have been another 5 damage to him, but he took a second wound instead.

                    Comment


                    • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

                      Quinton

                      Watching the horse fall just in front of him, Quinton gulps down some fear and anxiety as he stares, eyes wide as saucers, at the injured horse and the 'knight' trapped underneath it. Breathing heavily, he lowers his bow slowly and only then glances about the chaos that has ensued. Many of their attackers have fled with the rest having been captured, killed, or injured beyond worry of reprisal. Everything seems to have slowed dramatically with the conclusion of the skirmish. Quinton dwells in this fog for a few seconds, taking in injuries caused, only to be thrust back into 'reality' when the pain from his own wound grabs his attention.

                      Hissing softly through clenched teeth as the wound stings and the adrenaline quickly wears off, he glances down at the the cut along his side. "Well that's just lovely," he murmurs to himself as he catches the sheen of the fresh blood in the available torch light. Shouldering his bow on his good side, he turns to look for Ferret. "Ferret?" he calls out in a moderate tone. "Are you hurt you, big goon?" Quinton then asks, curious as to his comrade's well-being.

                      Comment


                      • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

                        Ser Timon
                        Originally posted by Ser heretic View Post
                        The boy shoots true, slowing the horse for a moment. It’s a fine destrier, heavy and clearly trained for a knight’s charge. A single stride brings you up behind it as it prepares to surge forward again. Your cut takes it in the rear knee, and the horse goes down screaming. Joren is trapped beneath, his face twisted in pain, fear, and exhaustion. For its part, the horse is wailing and thrashing, its hind leg clearly broken and a shattered arrowshaft in its neck.

                        Glancing quickly behind you, you see that Ser Gerold has secured his captive, shoving him towards Johnny and Dorian, while Templeton and Butterwell are accosting an unarmed pair of attackers who had attempted to flee onto a dock. Lord Roote is down on one knee, with an arrowhead and an inch of shaft protruding from his thigh. Ser Preston Vance remains by his side, torch in hand.
                        Gripping his sword in both hands, Timon puts the horse out of its misery with a measured thrust. For a moment, relative silence reigns in the street again. He takes a moment to kick away Joren's weapon before glancing around at his men. "Hearts and axe! Roll call! Is anyone wounded?"

                        Comment


                        • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

                          Ser Timon

                          Johnny calls back “Dorian got his bell rung, but he’ll live.” You can see a few lines of blood running from Dorian’s steel coif down his face. Johnny doesn’t appear to be hurt. Ser Gerold takes charge of his men. “Templeton, to me! Butterwell, stop limping and get those two over here. We’ll make for the tower.” He bends to scoop up a torch. It looks to be that there are three captives, all sound of body. None of them is wearing any arms or armor; they appear more like laborers than conniving brigands. Dorian and Johnny hoist a fourth to his feet, a robber knight that fell on the left side to the combined assault of the Leyburn guardsmen and Roote knights. Joren the Fox makes a fifth, assuming he lives. He’s still pinned beneath the horse’s corpse, wheezing something. There are seven dead or mortally wounded attackers on the ground—three mailed knights and four thugs with oars or clubs.

                          For his part, Lord Roote has thrown an arm around Preston Vance’s shoulders and is wincing as they pivot back towards Roote Tower and safety. He’s apparently not much for words with an arrow in the leg.


                          Quinton

                          Ser Timon puts the horse down with a slow, crouching thrust between the ribs. Finally, the piteous screams cease. The rider is moaning something like “m’leg, m’leg ser, please!” Roote’s knights and the Leyburn men secure a handful of captives, forcing them to march ahead with their hands on each other’s shoulders and their heads down.

                          In response to your question, Ferret licks his lips and shakes his head “no.” He might have taken an arrow if you hadn’t stood between him and the foemen.

                          Comment


                          • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

                            Quinton

                            Knowing that Ferret is uninjured, Quinton nods his head a few times in quick succession to the other boy before his attention is quickly drawn to the heightened scream of the horse as the sword is thrust through its ribs. Seeing the horse raise its head in the brief moment of pain and then surrender itself to the beyond, Quinton gulps down a knot of emotion in his throat before moving over to join Ser Timon. Holding his hand over his wound and clearly favoring that side, he saunters up on Ser Timon's left and looks down at the horse and the man trapped beneath it. He looks upon Ser Joren not with pity or fear - that was reserved for the horse. Instead, he looks upon Ser Joren as an oddity of sorts - studying him like a deer that was just taken down during a hunt or a rabbit that was snared. Seeing the two broken arrows he had buried in the man's torso, Quinton comments loud enough for Ser Timon to hear, "I'm surprised he stayed in the saddle as he did."

                            Comment


                            • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

                              Ser Timon
                              Originally posted by Ser heretic View Post
                              Johnny calls back “Dorian got his bell rung, but he’ll live.” You can see a few lines of blood running from Dorian’s steel coif down his face. Johnny doesn’t appear to be hurt. Ser Gerold takes charge of his men. “Templeton, to me! Butterwell, stop limping and get those two over here. We’ll make for the tower.” He bends to scoop up a torch. It looks to be that there are three captives, all sound of body. None of them is wearing any arms or armor; they appear more like laborers than conniving brigands. Dorian and Johnny hoist a fourth to his feet, a robber knight that fell on the left side to the combined assault of the Leyburn guardsmen and Roote knights. Joren the Fox makes a fifth, assuming he lives. He’s still pinned beneath the horse’s corpse, wheezing something. There are seven dead or mortally wounded attackers on the ground—three mailed knights and four thugs with oars or clubs.

                              For his part, Lord Roote has thrown an arm around Preston Vance’s shoulders and is wincing as they pivot back towards Roote Tower and safety. He’s apparently not much for words with an arrow in the leg.
                              "Good, good. Well done, lads, you did us proud tonight. You too, Quinton, and even you...Ferret, was it?" Timon nods at each of the Leyburn men in turn. This was always so easy for father and Gareth, finding the right words and gestures to make men follow them willingly into danger and death. Gods, I wish they were here now...

                              Satisfied that his men are mostly unharmed, Timon he bends low over Joren the Fox, a stony smile on his face. "Dockland scum and a handful of robber knights against Leyburn guardsmen and Lord Roote's best, Joren? Not one of your more cunning plays, I dare say." He glances up as Ser Gerold orders a retreat to the tower, but makes no move to order the Leyburn party to follow. "Well, looks like Lord Roote has had enough adventure for today, so now you and I can have a nice, long chat. I'm sure you'll have an absolutely fascinating story to tell..."

                              Comment


                              • Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

                                Quinton and Ser Timon

                                Ferret mumbles out “thank you, m’lord,” and looks awkwardly at his feet.

                                The Roote knights form up and begin to march off with the four captives capable of walking. Ser Gerold holds back momentarily to confer with Timon. “Timon, protecting my lord from attack is now my first priority. But I haven’t given up dispensing justice. Which one of these men is Joren the Fox? Once we’ve made him sing, we can find Balon Lychester and pull out this treachery stem and all.”

                                On the ground, Joren moans indecipherably.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X