• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ser heretic
    started a topic OOC: Black Dragon Rising

OOC: Black Dragon Rising

Black Dragon Rising

"How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? A thousand eyes and one."–unknown singer

I.

Fifteen years have passed since Daemon Blackfyre rebelled against King Daeron II Targaryen, but the ashes of the Black Dragon have not settled easily. King Daeron sowed salt on the rebels, stripping lands and titles, taking hostages, and issuing death sentences for the exiles who fled with Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers, Daemon's half-brother and right-hand man. Daeron’s newfound mettle—he never took the field against Daemon—was shortlived. He died in the Great Spring Sickness along with many others.

His son Aerys Targaryen, crowned two years ago, is a fruit from the same tree—bookish, learned, but detached from ruling. He relies heavily on his Hand, Brynden “Bloodraven” Rivers, who rules with an iron fist. The Bloodraven is unquestionably the most powerful man in Westeros. In addition to his powers as Hand, he commands a network of spies throughout the realm and is said to dabble in sorcery. His hatred for his half-brother Bittersteel knows no bounds and he is singularly focused on preventing the return of Bittersteel and Daemon's sons.

II.

The years since the rebellion have been marked with tension and mistrust. Loyalist lords have used their neighbors’ support for the Black Dragon as a pretext to extract concessions in the form of silver, land, and marriage. The former rebels seeking pardons fell all over one another to point fingers at each other and claim coercion. Meanwhile, King Daeron’s punishments seemed to touch even those houses that remained neutral or had members on both sides of the conflict. Such bitter rewards have turned some houses against the crown. And after Daeron’s untimely demise, men could not help but wonder what would have happened if Daemon, a true warrior chosen by his father to wield the sword of Aegon the Conqueror, had sat upon the Iron Throne, rather than the bookish, vindictive, and frail Daeron.

King Aerys’ reign has been even darker. Lord Bloodraven would beggar the realm if it meant ending Bittersteel and Daemon Blackfyre’s remaining sons, and his obsession has already cost the Seven Kingdoms dearly. Brigands run wild on the roads and the crown has taken no action in the face of a terrible drought. Dagon Greyjoy reaves up and down the coast but the royal fleet remains poised on the narrow sea, ever-vigilant against Bittersteel’s return.

III.

Your house has suffered mightily in the wake of the rebellion. Despite having members fighting on both sides, King Daeron stripped some of your lands and empowered your local rivals. The drought and the Sickness have wracked your smallfolk further, and trade has suffered as a result of Ironborn reaving in the north and as far south as the Arbor. It is clear that the grip of King Aerys on the realm is strained. Loyalists grimace, neutral houses whisper, and former rebels dream. Lord Bloodraven’s tenure is both a curse and a blessing to the crown—his misrule is inspiring plots that only his brilliance at spycraft can counter.

A message just arrived inviting you to attend a tourney in honor of the wedding of Lord Butterwell’s daughter to Lord Frey’s son. The wedding is some months in the future, but the guest list indicates that it will include a large number of Blackfyre-aligned houses. You have preparations to make…

Game Information:

Welcome to the prelude to the Second Blackfyre Rebellion! If you have read the novella The Mystery Knight, you know the official history of the Second Blackfyre Rebellion. If you haven't, no worries. We will be rewriting it substantially as we play. I'm looking for 4-6 players, all affiliated with the house in some way. House and character creation is as normal—go by the book but you can choose your starting age and status.

Game Resources
    SIFRP General Errata
    SIFRP Chapter 5 Errata
    A Wiki of Ice and Fire
    List of Loyalist and Rebel Houses from the First Blackfyre Rebellion

Minor House Rules
    • Weapons with the Fast subtype grant +1B to Agility(Quickness) initiative tests in single melee combat.
    • Weapons with the Adaptable subtype may also gain the Powerful subtype when wielded two-handed. This replaces their +1 damage bonus when wielded two-handed.
    • The cost of banner houses is discounted by 5 Power.
    • I have rewritten some of the warfare rules--you can read the changes here. In a nutshell, there are now Light Cavalry and Heavy Cavalry options and the Support unit is actually useful.

Our OOC Agenda
    • Agree on a region and name for the house
    • Develop house stats, holdings, and history
    • Create characters with compelling backstories. Perhaps the most important detail is to say what your character's attitude is towards the (First--they don't know that another one is on the way) Blackfyre Rebellion. Did they fight with the Black Dragon of Blackfyre or the Red of Targaryen? If they are too young, which side did their mentors fall on?
    Last edited by Ser heretic; 09-27-2016, 06:53 PM.

• Xereca Envolvente
    replied
    Re: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

Originally posted by rax View Post
    I can't speak for Ser heretic concerning any of your other questions, but if you're looking for a game with daily updates, I can guarantee that this one isn't it. When things are moving along at top pace we might average a post every other day, but there are frequent periods where we only manage an update about once a week. That's often down to me being bogged down at work or dealing with other RL concerns, none of which are likely to change any time soon. On the bright side, we've managed to stay the course for almost two years now, so this pace works for us (or maybe it's just me... ).
    Sure, I'm not asking to have it changed.

Originally posted by Ser heretic
    Hey, sorry it took a couple days to respond. We take things a little slower here and I think I was a bit confused by the forum eating your first post. I appreciate your interest in the game (especially the family tree) and learning a lot of the complicated backstory that we invented.

As rax mentioned, we have reached a certain rhythm for the game that seems to work for everyone--things ebb and flow, but we don't get much faster than a post every other day. Most of that is IRL stuff, but there's also sequencing involved if, for instance, I want to wait a few days to see if the players want to trade conversation posts for a bit, as well as some reflection and editing time. I sometimes draft stuff and sleep on it, just to make sure I'm developing the plot in the right way, not contradicting something I wrote eighteen months ago, not contradicting established ASOIAF canon, and maintaining consistent and (hopefully) compelling NPCs. All of that takes time.

If you're still interested in a game that runs at that type of pace, then I encourage you to let us know what kind of roleplaying experience you're looking for and what type of character you'd like to play.
    Thank you for the offer, if things change then maybe I'll be contacting you in a few years, aha.

Leave a comment:

• Ser heretic
    replied

Originally posted by Xereca Envolvente View Post
    I replied thrice actually

1st post was me asking to Ser heretic whether his reply was an 'yes' regarding my participation, it also had a link to a family tree I made of House Leyburn so it's been retained by the mods and I've got no idea when they'll approve it, or whether they will.

2nd post was me assuming his reply was an 'yes' and presenting a character sheet, still in the works. I edited the post some 50 times, changed stats here and there, made questions, erased then, ventured the possibility of playing as Ser Walton Strong then changed my mind, etc.

Then some days passed and Ser heretic had been on but didn't answer me so I made the 3rd post to ask whether that actually was an 'yes' because I'd spent quite some time creating a character and if it was actually a 'no' then I'd rather know it before sinking more time.

All in all, right now I'm more interested in a game with daily updates or so, reason why I no longer think I'd be a good fit for this one but I'll be sure to check the IC thread every once in a while to see how you're progressing.
    Hey, sorry it took a couple days to respond. We take things a little slower here and I think I was a bit confused by the forum eating your first post. I appreciate your interest in the game (especially the family tree) and learning a lot of the complicated backstory that we invented.

As rax mentioned, we have reached a certain rhythm for the game that seems to work for everyone--things ebb and flow, but we don't get much faster than a post every other day. Most of that is IRL stuff, but there's also sequencing involved if, for instance, I want to wait a few days to see if the players want to trade conversation posts for a bit, as well as some reflection and editing time. I sometimes draft stuff and sleep on it, just to make sure I'm developing the plot in the right way, not contradicting something I wrote eighteen months ago, not contradicting established ASOIAF canon, and maintaining consistent and (hopefully) compelling NPCs. All of that takes time.

If you're still interested in a game that runs at that type of pace, then I encourage you to let us know what kind of roleplaying experience you're looking for and what type of character you'd like to play.

Leave a comment:

• rax
    replied

All in all, right now I'm more interested in a game with daily updates or so, reason why I no longer think I'd be a good fit for this one but I'll be sure to check the IC thread every once in a while to see how you're progressing.
    I can't speak for Ser heretic concerning any of your other questions, but if you're looking for a game with daily updates, I can guarantee that this one isn't it. When things are moving along at top pace we might average a post every other day, but there are frequent periods where we only manage an update about once a week. That's often down to me being bogged down at work or dealing with other RL concerns, none of which are likely to change any time soon. On the bright side, we've managed to stay the course for almost two years now, so this pace works for us (or maybe it's just me... ).

Leave a comment:

• Xereca Envolvente
    replied

Trying to post the tree without the url to see if it goes:
    Retainers aren't in and the coats are all wrong because I repurposed it from another game (only one that's ok is House Paege, if you get one for Leyburn let me know and I'll edit it in).

Last edited by Xereca Envolvente; 06-06-2018, 12:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Xereca Envolvente
    replied

Am I the only one that got an update message concerning this thread because Xereca had posted, but now there doesn't seem to be any such post at all?

Edit: ...and I'll try and get an IC reply up later today.
    I replied thrice actually

1st post was me asking to Ser heretic whether his reply was an 'yes' regarding my participation, it also had a link to a family tree I made of House Leyburn so it's been retained by the mods and I've got no idea when they'll approve it, or whether they will.

2nd post was me assuming his reply was an 'yes' and presenting a character sheet, still in the works. I edited the post some 50 times, changed stats here and there, made questions, erased then, ventured the possibility of playing as Ser Walton Strong then changed my mind, etc.

Then some days passed and Ser heretic had been on but didn't answer me so I made the 3rd post to ask whether that actually was an 'yes' because I'd spent quite some time creating a character and if it was actually a 'no' then I'd rather know it before sinking more time.

Last edited by Xereca Envolvente; 06-06-2018, 11:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rax
    replied

Am I the only one that got an update message concerning this thread because Xereca had posted, but now there doesn't seem to be any such post at all?

Edit: ...and I'll try and get an IC reply up later today.

Leave a comment:

• Xereca Envolvente
    replied

Originally posted by Ser heretic View Post
    If you're interesting in learning more about the game, I would recommend starting with the first IC post, which lays out the setting, as well as maybe the Characters and Setting thread. Following that, the basics are that the PCs are investigating some treasonous activity and have just managed to peel back enough layers of the conspiracy to reasonably identify some of the relevant actors. Warfare is not super important to know at this point, and Intrigue can be run almost exclusively through roleplay anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it (though ability scores still matter in terms of diplomatic ability).
    Is this a yes?

I've got to page 21 of OOC so far. If that was a yes, how could we explain my char showing up out of nothing?

Also, in the meanwhile I made this family tree for the House, sigils are all wrong and I couldn't find the House's current one (the only one that's right is Paege's):

I'm thinking on a crossbowman as a char, hopefully one that is somewhat well-rounded for intrigues. I'm wary of creating an intrigue-based char as of right now as I'm still figuring out how it works.

Leave a comment:

• Ser heretic
    replied

Originally posted by Jewdebega View Post
    Posted. Sorry. It's been a bit hectic and my brain is slowly starting to reboot.
    I accidentally just posted without realizing you had also posted. I'll edit in Quinton's narrative now.

So, I'm new to SIFRP, I haven't ever played and have no idea how Warfare or Intrigue works. I'm more familiar with House and Combat rules but, again, I haven't ever played and there are many specific rules I'm not familiar with.

I've just created a character (still working on it, tbh) and, if there's room, I'd like to play. As of right now the only IC thing I read is the 1st post of this OOC thread, in which not even the Region had been defined yet. I've no idea who the characters are nor what happened to them, I'll be reading more as I wait for a reply.
    If you're interesting in learning more about the game, I would recommend starting with the first IC post, which lays out the setting, as well as maybe the Characters and Setting thread. Following that, the basics are that the PCs are investigating some treasonous activity and have just managed to peel back enough layers of the conspiracy to reasonably identify some of the relevant actors. Warfare is not super important to know at this point, and Intrigue can be run almost exclusively through roleplay anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it (though ability scores still matter in terms of diplomatic ability).

Leave a comment:

• Jewdebega
    replied

Hallooo? Is there anybody out there, or am I now trapped in my own echo chamber?
    Posted. Sorry. It's been a bit hectic and my brain is slowly starting to reboot.

Leave a comment:

• Xereca Envolvente
    replied

So, I'm new to SIFRP, I haven't ever played and have no idea how Warfare or Intrigue works. I'm more familiar with House and Combat rules but, again, I haven't ever played and there are many specific rules I'm not familiar with.

I've just created a character (still working on it, tbh) and, if there's room, I'd like to play. As of right now the only IC thing I read is the 1st post of this OOC thread, in which not even the Region had been defined yet. I've no idea who the characters are nor what happened to them, I'll be reading more as I wait for a reply.

Leave a comment:

• Ser heretic
    replied

Sorry, I was giving Jewdebega a chance to post, since I believe he's been quite busy IRL. I'll post later on today.

Leave a comment:

• rax
    replied

Hallooo? Is there anybody out there, or am I now trapped in my own echo chamber?

Leave a comment:

• rax
    replied

I had wondered whether there might be more to the story of Ferret's misfortunes than is immediately obvious from the IC thread so far, but not to the point that I've been convinced that Balon Lychester is an active conspirator in the counterfeiting plot.

@Jewdebega
    Do you want to interject in the interrogation or should I go ahead and wrap it up?

Leave a comment:

• Ser heretic
    replied

Looks like the forum ate my attempted response to this last night.

I think we're all on the same page--I wanted to be sure that I didn't create the OOC impression that Joren is still withholding, although Timon may take it that way regardless.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X