OOC: Black Dragon Rising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

I'm now back as well, and will have a post up soon-ish.

Happy new year!

Comment

Not quite time for it over here yet, but no need to wait: Happy New Year to the both of you as well!

Comment

So contemplating my next move here... I'm still learning the ASOIAF combat system. A couple of quesitons:

1.) With the rider being within 3 yards, what negative impact does that have on Quinton's marksmanship if he were to fire another arrow?

2.) Are there any penalties for the rider having moved? I know you take a -1D penalty for sprinting targets.

Right now, I'm considering: (a) putting an arrow in the horse in an attempt to throw the rider or (b) using the bow like a pole-arm, if allowed, to knock the rider from the horse.

Thoughts?

Comment

1) Nope. There are no penalties for using a Marksmanship weapon at close ranges, or even when adjacent to an opponent.

2) Also nope. The sprint action is distinct from a charge or other movement, so the penalty die shouldn't apply to your attack.

(b) There's a specific Greater Action for pulling a rider from a mount (p. 164), but it requires an actual pole-arm or a Grab weapon, e.g. your bare hands. You have to beat the rider's passive Animal Handling (+Ride bonus dice) with a Fighting test.

If you choose to try and pull Joren from his horse, don't forget the lighting currently gives you -2D on Marksmanship tests, but also -1D on Fighting tests. Attacking the steed would have the added benefit that it's a large target (p. 154), so it should have a -2 penalty to its Combat Defence (which I don't think has been included in the stats in the rulebook).

Comment

Originally posted by Jewdebega View Post
            So contemplating my next move here... I'm still learning the ASOIAF combat system. A couple of quesitons:

1.) With the rider being within 3 yards, what negative impact does that have on Quinton's marksmanship if he were to fire another arrow?

2.) Are there any penalties for the rider having moved? I know you take a -1D penalty for sprinting targets.

Right now, I'm considering: (a) putting an arrow in the horse in an attempt to throw the rider or (b) using the bow like a pole-arm, if allowed, to knock the rider from the horse.

Thoughts?
            Everything rax said is correct. I would also allow you to use the bow as an improvised polearm to try and unhorse Joren. However, the sub-par nature of the weapon for this task would impose a -2D penalty on top of the existing -D penalty from the lighting, so it's probably not a viable option.

Comment

1.) Ah, ok - I think I read the section on Page 158. Basically then, there are only penalties if you try and go over the range of your weapon (i.e. if you use a close range weapon over 10 yards, there is a penalty) - but not under. Thank you.

2.) Per the book, it says that "Whenever you attack a target that sprinted on its last turn, you take 1D on your Fighting or Marksmanship test." (Page 166). I won't argue not having a penalty, but I would like to understand how this rule applies or does apply for future reference.

Looks like I'll be taking aim and firing at the horse's front as it comes towards him. That's two lesser actions (aim and standard attack) for 7d6k3. Are there any modifiers for the horse or current scenario I should be aware of before rolling?

Comment

2.) Per the book, it says that "Whenever you attack a target that sprinted on its last turn, you take 1D on your Fighting or Marksmanship test." (Page 166). I won't argue not having a penalty, but I would like to understand how this rule applies or does apply for future reference.
                "Sprint" is a specially defined Greater Action, found on page 164. So if your target took that action last round, then you take the -1D penalty if you target them. Joren opted for the Trample action rather than Sprint, so the penalty doesn't apply to you. This could definitely be more clear in the rules.

Looks like I'll be taking aim and firing at the horse's front as it comes towards him. That's two lesser actions (aim and standard attack) for 7d6k3. Are there any modifiers for the horse or current scenario I should be aware of before rolling?
                Other than the -2D modifier for lighting that you've already applied there, that looks correct. I am going to penalize the horse's Combat Defense on account of its large size, but that happens on my end, not yours.

Comment

Glad Timon went ahead and took care of the horse. Quinton was going to ask about it, but I thought it was too much action for one pose.

Comment

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I'm aiming to post in the IC thread tomorrow. The weekend and work both got really busy, plus this week has been plagued with all sorts of technical difficulties - power outages, network crashes, delayed trains, and so on.

Comment

Yay! New IC post is up!

Comment

Great to have you back!

Life has a way of presenting obstacles sometimes.

Comment

@Jewdebega

If you're trying to get Timon to let on about the mint they found, that won't happen until everyone is safely back at the tower. I'm hoping to engineer a private conversation for Timon with Lord Roote where he can tell Roote about the mint and hopefully secure an ally. I'll try and get Quinton involved as well since there's a pretty clear connection between the existence of the mint and Joren learning to make chits from the miller.

Comment

I'm about as clueless as Quinton... I'm just playing him as I think he would ask. Certainly, he's overly curious why Timon has showed up in force when he was just sent to fetch barding.

That and I need something other to pose than "Quinton continues to exist."

Comment

Yay for inter-player dialogue!

Comment

@Jewdebaga

By all means, keep throwing questions at Timon if you like. He's tired and cranky, but Quinton's impressed him so far, so he gets some leeway before being shut down.

BTW, just how forthcoming has Quinton been about Ferret stealing the money they were entrusted with and going on a gambling spree? So far I'm playing Timon as having been told about Ferret's gambling and how he gave away valuable military information to Joren, and that will require some form of punishment when they get back to Leyburn lands. If Quinton's come clean about the theft, then the punishment will have to be greater. By which I don't necessarily mean maiming or killing, but a spot of corporal punishment isn't out of the question and - at the very least - Ferret will never again be entrusted with anything beyond scrubbing pots and pans if Timon has any say in the matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X